Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Told I have tarsal tunnel

Posted by Ted on 11/20/01 at 18:54 (065018)

I've been diagnosed with TTS, what happens if I just let it go and don't have surgery? I'm wondering if it will only get worse and do more damage? I have pain and all but for now its not something I can't live with. There seems to be a lot of talk about the surgery not working anyway.

Re: Told I have tarsal tunnel

Carol C on 11/20/01 at 19:04 (065022)

Ted...just try and determine the cause for the TTS. I was diagnosed with TTS and had surgery for it yesterday. During surgery, the surgeon found a
cyst the size of his thumb entwined around the nerve that was causing the entrapment of the nerve. This would have continued to worsen with time and definately needed treatment soon. There had only been five months from onset of symptoms to surgery with me.
Good luck with your treatment.

wendyn on 11/20/01 at 21:07 (065027)

I think Carol is right - the cause of your problem will often determine whether or not surgery may be a good, or even a bad idea. Any thoughts on what's caused your problem?

denise j on 11/20/01 at 21:40 (065031)

hi, i was diagnosed with tts and need to make a decision on having surgery and when. i am in constant pain every day. were you scared about having surgery. how severe was your pain and for how long? please help me any advice is appreciated. thanks denise (email removed)

Re: please elaborate

elliott on 11/21/01 at 08:46 (065043)

'Pain' is too generic a word. Could you elaborate about exactly what and where your pain is, what probably caused it, how they arrived at the diagnosis. Exruciating detail will hurt you only once. :-) Then others here may get a better handle on what advice to offer.

Ted on 11/23/01 at 10:20 (065111)

I too have a cyst on my foot, its between my arch and heel and sometimes, but not always that is where most of my pain is felt, was this the case for you too? My dr. seems alittle bewildered by the cyst, as if he doesn't usually see this with tts.

Carol C on 12/17/01 at 20:20 (067272)

Yes,,,,that is the apparent area where the cyst was at...that is where my
incision is at....I never had pain in this area however. The discomfort in my foot was numbness in my foot, a sensation of something 'bunched up'
under the ball of my foot and eventually pain in the toes, ball of my foot, arch and ankle.

Carol C on 11/20/01 at 19:04 (065022)

Ted...just try and determine the cause for the TTS. I was diagnosed with TTS and had surgery for it yesterday. During surgery, the surgeon found a
cyst the size of his thumb entwined around the nerve that was causing the entrapment of the nerve. This would have continued to worsen with time and definately needed treatment soon. There had only been five months from onset of symptoms to surgery with me.
Good luck with your treatment.

wendyn on 11/20/01 at 21:07 (065027)

I think Carol is right - the cause of your problem will often determine whether or not surgery may be a good, or even a bad idea. Any thoughts on what's caused your problem?

denise j on 11/20/01 at 21:40 (065031)

hi, i was diagnosed with tts and need to make a decision on having surgery and when. i am in constant pain every day. were you scared about having surgery. how severe was your pain and for how long? please help me any advice is appreciated. thanks denise (email removed)

Re: please elaborate

elliott on 11/21/01 at 08:46 (065043)

'Pain' is too generic a word. Could you elaborate about exactly what and where your pain is, what probably caused it, how they arrived at the diagnosis. Exruciating detail will hurt you only once. :-) Then others here may get a better handle on what advice to offer.

Ted on 11/23/01 at 10:20 (065111)

I too have a cyst on my foot, its between my arch and heel and sometimes, but not always that is where most of my pain is felt, was this the case for you too? My dr. seems alittle bewildered by the cyst, as if he doesn't usually see this with tts.

Carol C on 12/17/01 at 20:20 (067272)

Yes,,,,that is the apparent area where the cyst was at...that is where my
incision is at....I never had pain in this area however. The discomfort in my foot was numbness in my foot, a sensation of something 'bunched up'
under the ball of my foot and eventually pain in the toes, ball of my foot, arch and ankle.