Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

orthotics needed or not?

Posted by Sandy H. on 11/20/01 at 19:06 (065023)

Hi, wondering if with my diagnosis I can get away with not wearing orthotics. They absolutely kill my ankles and I am making progress just wearing motion control running shoes. The pod has adjusted my orthotics for about the third time but they still hurt like anything. My history is a runner with shin splits that wore orthotics and started running and got ankle arthritis (unspecified cause) and then plantar fasciitis and tibialis posteror pain. Here is what Pod wrote:
Mr Hendry has a history of left foot pains located at medial malleolus and
plantar fasciitis with ongoing treatment.
Mr A. Hendry feet are medium high arched when non-weight bearing. Upon
walking his foot pronates, flattening the arches, with also out turning of
the feet. The change in foot sturcture while walking/ running is causing
possible strain to the soft tissue located in at the arch and ankles.
The pronation is secondary due to possible weakness at both ankles. As a
rehabilitative measure, once Mr Hendry is more comfortable, muscle
strengthening exercises have been prescribed.
I have suggested that Mr A. Hendry use orthotics and use sports shoes to
help relieve any strain on the painful feet.

In your experience, does such a foot always require orthotics to get over PF or not?

Re: orthotics needed or not?

Richard, C.Ped on 11/21/01 at 07:41 (065038)

In my experience as a pedorthist, I have come across many patients that have had awful experiences in the past with orthotics. I have also seen in most of them that the way the orthosis was made and the materials used were not correct for the patients condition. It is more to it than just making an orthosis from a cast, dispensing the orthosis and sending you on your way. I am by no means saying that your doc did this. Sometimes it takes a wedge here, or a tweek there to get it right. It may take softer matierals instead of hard. It is difficult to say without seeing you and your foot type.

Most of the time, the advice given here is to give your feet a rest. Hold off of running or sporting activites for a while. Good luck!!!
Richard, C.Ped

Sandy H. on 11/21/01 at 21:11 (065070)

Thanks very much. I am sending them back today and will try to get them chiselled down as much as possible cos I feel I am standing on my arches and feet aren't designed to work that way are they. Surely the best way to stop overpronation isn't to pressure the injured arch but try to stop the foot rolling too much. That suggests to me a gap is needed between the orthotic and the arch so it can roll a bit and be pressured less. I just can't seem to get 'a little bit of arch support' it is always too much.

Richard, C.Ped on 11/21/01 at 07:41 (065038)

In my experience as a pedorthist, I have come across many patients that have had awful experiences in the past with orthotics. I have also seen in most of them that the way the orthosis was made and the materials used were not correct for the patients condition. It is more to it than just making an orthosis from a cast, dispensing the orthosis and sending you on your way. I am by no means saying that your doc did this. Sometimes it takes a wedge here, or a tweek there to get it right. It may take softer matierals instead of hard. It is difficult to say without seeing you and your foot type.

Most of the time, the advice given here is to give your feet a rest. Hold off of running or sporting activites for a while. Good luck!!!
Richard, C.Ped

Sandy H. on 11/21/01 at 21:11 (065070)

Thanks very much. I am sending them back today and will try to get them chiselled down as much as possible cos I feel I am standing on my arches and feet aren't designed to work that way are they. Surely the best way to stop overpronation isn't to pressure the injured arch but try to stop the foot rolling too much. That suggests to me a gap is needed between the orthotic and the arch so it can roll a bit and be pressured less. I just can't seem to get 'a little bit of arch support' it is always too much.