Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel spur

Posted by Bill Soriano on 11/20/01 at 21:34 (065030)

I have a spur on the back of my heel that is very painful. I was given a prescription of 800mg Ibuprofen and that was it. Where can I find info on this type of spur, and what is the name for it. Also should I see a better doctor

Re: heel spur

Richard, C.Ped on 11/21/01 at 07:44 (065039)

I would recommend reading Scott's heel pain book. It is chock full of useful information about your condition.
Richard, C.Ped

Julie on 11/21/01 at 08:25 (065041)

Yes, please do read the Heel Pain Book, as Richard suggests. I think you also need to consult another doctor. Ibuprofen can reduce the inflammation and pain, but you need to determine the cause of your problem, not just deal with the symptoms, and that requires a full examination and evaluation by a podiatrist who can then prescribe the right conservative treatment measures for your condition.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/22/01 at 11:26 (065082)

Hi,

From your description it sounds like posterior insertional achilles tendonitis with calcification. Yes motrin can help but you need an x-ray
range of motion evaluation to rule out what is called equinus. This is what you can do right away. Take a look at your shoes. Are the heels worn out or not even. Is the heel counter rubbing the back of your heel.

Richard, C.Ped on 11/21/01 at 07:44 (065039)

I would recommend reading Scott's heel pain book. It is chock full of useful information about your condition.
Richard, C.Ped

Julie on 11/21/01 at 08:25 (065041)

Yes, please do read the Heel Pain Book, as Richard suggests. I think you also need to consult another doctor. Ibuprofen can reduce the inflammation and pain, but you need to determine the cause of your problem, not just deal with the symptoms, and that requires a full examination and evaluation by a podiatrist who can then prescribe the right conservative treatment measures for your condition.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/22/01 at 11:26 (065082)

Hi,

From your description it sounds like posterior insertional achilles tendonitis with calcification. Yes motrin can help but you need an x-ray
range of motion evaluation to rule out what is called equinus. This is what you can do right away. Take a look at your shoes. Are the heels worn out or not even. Is the heel counter rubbing the back of your heel.