Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

15 Days Post Op

Posted by Anthony P on 11/22/01 at 15:32 (065089)

Hello everyone,
My first week after surgery I felt great ,now my toes are swelling
and I have increased pain so I must keep my foot elevated at all times
I wish there was a way I could ice the insitions ,can't with a cast
Next wedsday all the stitches come out .
Anyone here taking percocet for pain ? They take some of the pain away
But they make me feel dizzy, nervous,jumpy
HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL :) Anthoy P

Re: 15 Days Post Op

Laurie R on 11/22/01 at 16:49 (065091)

Hi Anothony, Thank you for your update . Now when you get the stitches out will you get to keep the cast off , or will your doctor put a new one on? Or is the cast a cam walker that you can remove when you need to?

Yes pain meds can make you feel weird at times. I have taken Percocets before . I did not care for them either , but they did help with the pain . It was for a stomach surgery . Maybe you can ask your doctor for a different pain med when you see him..

My very best to you and keep us posted.Laurie R

BrianG on 11/22/01 at 18:38 (065092)

Hi Anthony,

Have you taken your temp in the last couple of days? If it's elevated you might hve a low grade fever. If so, get on some antibiotics asap. The Percocets have codeine in them. A lot of people become wired from codeine, can't sleep, weird dreams, etc. An alternative would be a morphine based med, like Hydromorphone. Morphine usually makes people a lot less jumpy than codeine. Just something to run by your doctor, if you feel it's necessary. No need to suffer. Good luck on the healng.

BCG

Re: Hello Laurie,Brian

Anthony P on 11/24/01 at 22:49 (065167)

Hi Brian and Laurie,
I will see about getting new meds. This percocet keeps me awake at night ,low fever etc
so I stoped using it , My foot is improving
All the stitches will be removed on Nov 28
and another hard cast(arrgghh) for 3 more weeks.
I will let you all know the out come
MY Best :) Anthony P

Ami P. on 11/26/01 at 21:46 (065356)

Have you tried ice behind the knee? It cools the blood going to the foot and did wonders for me! And there are PLENTY of different medications out there. Express your discomfort to your Dr. I am sure he/she can do something about that. Hope you get some comfort. I know the swelling was the worst part of most of it for me, but I had very little. My nurse-maid, my husband, kept ice on and off from behind my knee every 20 minutes for the first few days. I'm sure it would still work for you if you are still having swelling. Good luck. I'll say a prayer for you.

Laurie R on 11/22/01 at 16:49 (065091)

Hi Anothony, Thank you for your update . Now when you get the stitches out will you get to keep the cast off , or will your doctor put a new one on? Or is the cast a cam walker that you can remove when you need to?

Yes pain meds can make you feel weird at times. I have taken Percocets before . I did not care for them either , but they did help with the pain . It was for a stomach surgery . Maybe you can ask your doctor for a different pain med when you see him..

My very best to you and keep us posted.Laurie R

BrianG on 11/22/01 at 18:38 (065092)

Hi Anthony,

Have you taken your temp in the last couple of days? If it's elevated you might hve a low grade fever. If so, get on some antibiotics asap. The Percocets have codeine in them. A lot of people become wired from codeine, can't sleep, weird dreams, etc. An alternative would be a morphine based med, like Hydromorphone. Morphine usually makes people a lot less jumpy than codeine. Just something to run by your doctor, if you feel it's necessary. No need to suffer. Good luck on the healng.

BCG

Re: Hello Laurie,Brian

Anthony P on 11/24/01 at 22:49 (065167)

Hi Brian and Laurie,
I will see about getting new meds. This percocet keeps me awake at night ,low fever etc
so I stoped using it , My foot is improving
All the stitches will be removed on Nov 28
and another hard cast(arrgghh) for 3 more weeks.
I will let you all know the out come
MY Best :) Anthony P

Ami P. on 11/26/01 at 21:46 (065356)

Have you tried ice behind the knee? It cools the blood going to the foot and did wonders for me! And there are PLENTY of different medications out there. Express your discomfort to your Dr. I am sure he/she can do something about that. Hope you get some comfort. I know the swelling was the worst part of most of it for me, but I had very little. My nurse-maid, my husband, kept ice on and off from behind my knee every 20 minutes for the first few days. I'm sure it would still work for you if you are still having swelling. Good luck. I'll say a prayer for you.