Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Mother of Five, Need Encouragement

Posted by Rebecca H. on 11/23/01 at 20:01 (065120)

Hi. I'm new. 40 years old. Just diagnosed with P. F. I've always been very active. Walked 1-3 miles 3 times a week until a few months ago when my feet started really hurting. Kept thinking it would go away. Got worse when my oldest (15) went overseas and I took on his chores (up and down the basement stairs with laundry, taking out the trash, carrying my two year old more when shopping, at church, etc.) Went to the doctor, not much help. Then a podiatrist. Waiting for custom orthotics. Every step Hurts. In heel, arch and forefeet. Okay, I know, you guys have probably heard all this stuff before. People look at me with a blank stare when I try to explain to them why I can't go to the concert, or the store, or....
It is so discouraging. It's been four months of a great deal of pain and a lot of money (four pairs of new shoes....inserts...medical bills...) Taking motrin, icing, stretching, complaining, and hoping hoping hoping I won't become permanently disabled. My husband and kids really need me. But I feel like about 1/10th of who I used to be...I need to find some humor or something!

Re: Mother of Five, Need Encouragement

Rebecca H. on 11/23/01 at 20:41 (065121)

Me again...You want to hear the funny part? My occupation: Piano Teacher

Re: Rebecca & Megan

John h on 11/24/01 at 09:58 (065129)

You guys have arrived at the right place for the best possible help. This is no overnight disease and be prepared to be patient and do a lot of experimenting with some of the advice offered on theis board. Read read from all the people who have posted here in the past and present. Some immediate things you can do which is cost effective is to try night splints, tape your foot, continue iceing several times daily, wear shoes with good support or orthotics, under not circumstances over do by being on your feet all day, you might try wearing birkenstock airizona sandals as many swear by them. Most people in time will for the most part rid themselves of this disease. Yoko was a good example. She was here a year or so past and could hardly walk. This year she competed in and finished the NYC Marathon. When you catch this problem early their is every reason to be optimistic. Make sure you are comfortable with your doc and he gives you enouhg time to answer your questions. By no means consider surgery for at least a year or more and before that try ESWT which you can read about here. Good luck and hang tough.

Steve P on 11/24/01 at 10:08 (065133)

Hi Rebecca --- I'm glad you posted. You came to the right place! We can all relate to your story & are happy to help you. Please feel free to ask any questions.

PF is tough, but people nearly always have a full recovery. 90% do so with conservative treatments only. However, it can take many months & sometimes years.

I have a bad case of PF & am approaching the 2 year mark; however, I am slowly improving & hope to be pain-free one day. But the progress week to week & month to month is slow, as you know well.

I have several suggestions:

1. Read the Heel Pain Book on this website.
2. Ask your doctor about a prescription anti-inflammatory. Better than motrin.
3. Phase in your orthotics carefully & gradually.
4. Brief icing & self-massage a couple of times a day may help.
5. Be careful stretching........and NO WEIGHTBEARING STRETCHES!
6. Consider swimming or another non-weightbearing exercise to maintain your activity level.
7. Get those kids to do as many chores as possible! You need to be off your feet when you can. They all need to understand this.
8. Take heart....you will get there. This should not become a disability if you take reasonable steps now to keep it under control & start improving. The keys are discipline, rest & a good treatment program.

Best.........Steve

Megan C. on 11/24/01 at 12:19 (065149)

Thank you so much! It's good to know I have someone to talk to! I will check into those things you suggested.

Re: Forefeet (Not four feet) pain

Rebecca H. on 11/24/01 at 17:50 (065156)

Thank you guys! I apprectiate your suggestions...It's really great to know some people out there care and understand this cruddy foot pain.

Can you be a little more specific about breaking in the orthotics gradually?

Also...along with my 'common symptoms' of pf I also have really tender forefeet. It feels like I'm walking on the bones. Could this be from avoiding pressure on my heels???? The doctor and the podiatrist both said it is not Mortons Neuroma. The podiatrist said maybe it was 'capsulitis', in the second metatarsal where it hurts the most. On the xray that bone looked squared off. He looked at it a long time and said Hmmmm alot. He also said the orthotic would be made to keep pressure off that second metatarsal. But how is that going to help all the other sore spots that feel like I'm walking on bones.

Also, can anyone give me info about whether or not heat can make pf worse?
I like to put my feet in very hot water but wondered if that might only exacerbate the inflammation.

My husband is giving me foot and calf massages before bedtime. That is helping me sleep better and not wake up as many times in pain and despair. Something to add to the HOW TO KNOW IF YOU HAVE PF List: Your six-year old can pronounc 'plantar fasciitis'

Steve P on 11/24/01 at 18:08 (065159)

Rebecca -- I think orthotics generally help relieve pressure on the metatarsals, so there's a good chance your orthotics will help you in that area. You might want to ask that question on the 'Ask the foot doctors' board on this website to get an expert opinion.

Some people swear by orthotics, others by Birkenstocks. You might want to experiment with both at different times. In either case, I would gradually break them in......meaning only a little usage the first day, a little more the 2nd & so on. Some people take a week to 2 weeks to phase orthotics in. Be sure you discuss this with your pod. But I would not wear them for hours on end the first few days, just in case they don't agree with you, which can sometimes happen.

I personally never use heat. I ice my feet for 10 minutes 2-3 times a day using gelpacks. I think most doctors agree that icing is beneficial.

best.......Steve

Rebecca H. on 11/24/01 at 18:29 (065160)

What is it that makes Birkenstocks so good? The picture of them looks just like some other sandals I had that hurt my feet.
Not that I don't believe you. Just wondering. I've already spent so much money on all these shoes and I can't even wear them!

Re: Birkenstocks - to Rebecca

Julie on 11/25/01 at 02:29 (065168)

Suzanne replied to your question on another thread. Apart from the attributes she mentioned - molding to your feet, good arch support etc - Birkenstocks contribute to healing by strengthening your feet. If you walk in them as you're meant to, using the toe bar to grip with your toes, you'll be working the entire musculature of each foot. This is an aspect that isn't as well understood as the arch support they give, but I have found it the most helpful thing about them. I have several pairs of Arizonas, and wear them all the time indoors.

They are not like other sandals; they're a completely different concept, and it would be worth your looking into them. They don't suit everybody, but if they do suit you, you will find them helpful, as so many here have. The best way to investigate them, if you decide to, is to find a shop that stocks a comprehensive line (there are hundreds of different styles, styles within styles, and colours - the classic Arizona is probably the one to start with) and skilled salespeople who can advise you. The correct size looks too big to most people, because the footbed is meant to extend beyond your toes.

If you buy a pair, you need to give your feet time to accommodate themselves to them. They will probably be uncomfortable at first. Wear them for half an hour a day for the first few days, and increase gradually over a month or so.

Birkenstocks are available from several on-line stores. The German website (link here or on the home page) is the cheapest, but shipping takes 3 months unless you pay for air freight. But don't buy on line until you've tried them and know they're right for you - that means buying from a 'real' store.

Good luck!

clara on 11/25/01 at 04:58 (065169)

Hello there Rebecca and all heelspurs-friends!

I can se that you already have got many good advices, and I´m sure you´re going to be o.k. I am now 'cured' and back to work! I have not been posting for a long time because I work so much, but I will not go away, I check the board once a week. I´m happpy you are back Julie, I´ve been missing you!

Rebecka, try all the good advices you can get here, and, the most important thing is - you´ve got friends here!!! We know how it is to have this awful PF. I am 36 years old, living in Sweden (that´s why my english are like this...!) and have two boys, 9 and 2 years old. In feb. this year I got PF at both feet and sat in a wheel-chair for a couple of months. I crawled around the house. It was a nightmare!!!! In august I got better and now I have no pain at all.

I got 'cured' with inserts, glucosamine pills (yes! It´s a miracle for me, and no drug that makes you dizzy!), acupuncture (20 times!!), ultrasound-therapy, bicycling (!) and all this good friends at heelspurs.com.

Rest, rest and doon´t do like I did. I runned around to much when I got a little better and then it took longer than it should to get cured.

So, it takes time. But it will go away.PF is not Pain Forever, even if you think so right now.

I know I´m lucky, I think about that every day, and I feel more greatful towards life than ever before. Every morning I wake up I think about how happy I am.

Take care

/Clara

Re: request for Clara...

Suzanne D on 11/25/01 at 07:46 (065172)

Dear Clara,
It was good to read a post from you this morning. I still remember how kind and sympathetic you were to our country after the September 11 tragedies! I am glad to hear that you are doing so well! I like what you said about PF not being Pain Forever!!
I have a request for you, if you have the time. My first grade class is going to be studying about Christmas in other countries in the next 3 weeks. Sweden is one of the countries we will learn a little about. I have a book about your customs, but I thought it would be wonderful if you were able to write a paragraph or two about Christmas in your country so that I could read it to my children. They would consider it quite special to receive a message from 'a real person' from a country we are learning about! If you find the time to do so, I would greatly appreciate it! My school e-mail is (email removed)
I wish for you and your family a very pleasant holiday season!

Re: request for Julie...

Suzanne D on 11/25/01 at 07:58 (065173)

Dear Julie,
Thank you for explaining better than I could the benefits of Birkenstock sandals and shoes. You write so well and have so much knowledge on the subject of PF and ways to treat the condition! I have learned a great deal from reading your posts on this site.
I have a similar request of you that I just wrote to Clara in Sweden. If you have the time, I would love for my class at school to be able to hear from someone in England in regard to Christmas customs in your country. Just a paragraph or two would be much appreciated! If you are able to, my school e-mail is the following:
(email removed)
I wish you and your family well at this special season and always.

Re: POOR FEET...

Rebecca H on 11/25/01 at 08:38 (065175)

I thought PF stood for Poor Feet.

Anyway, thank you everyone! Ya'll have no idea how much all your letters have meant to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (or maybe you do) I feel like I have found a whole new group of friends-with hearts of gold to be reaching out across cyber space to encourage a fellow poor-footer.

I have just done something that is extremely difficult for me: made the decision to stay home from church today so my feet can get some rest. Now maybe for some people this would seem like a nice thing...getting to stay home from church : ) but for me its really hard. It is the highlight of my whole week. I play keyboard in the praise band and have so many friends there. I feel really lonely and tearful but I know its something I have to do since church meets in a highschool and involves alot of walking on vary hard floors.

Suzanne D on 11/25/01 at 09:00 (065177)

I understand, Rebecca!! I play the piano at my church, too, and am getting ready to leave for church now. I will be thinking of you this morning and wishing for you improvement very soon! You are in my prayers...I hope you can find some good music to listen to as you rest this morning!

Re: Hello Clara

Julie on 11/25/01 at 09:13 (065180)

I'm so glad you're really better, and back at work now, and happy!

Thanks for thinking of me.

John h on 11/25/01 at 10:05 (065183)

Rebecca: Breaking in gradually will mean different things to different people. Birks, I believe have an insert. that recommends a couple of hours a day to start with and gradually work up the ladder. I had my birks a solid year and did not like them and my feet were hurting so bad i thought might as well give them a go and after about a week I could not do without them. The insert that came with my custom orthotics also advised wearing them for a couple of hours a day until your foot becomes accustomed to them.

Re: Hi Clara

Steve P on 11/25/01 at 10:29 (065189)

Clara -- It's good to hear from you. Congratulations on your recovery!

Best..........Steve

Re: Orthotics and other suggestions

Kathy G on 11/25/01 at 11:01 (065193)

Hi Rebecca,

It is so hard to stay upbeat, isn't it? You're so right, not only have people not heard of PF, I find that most of them don't have any reason to become educated on the subject. Thus, as we enter the holiday season, I try to remind myself that my relatives don't mean anything when they are shocked that I can't go to the holiday fairs or malls with them! They all just seem to think that PF goes away - maybe in 6 weeks like many physical maladies - and they forget that I still have it!

I can't add much to the great advice you've already received. One thing you mentioned is going up and down the stairs. I live in a small ranch and my laundry room, freezer, extra frig are all downstairs. I tend to make a big pile of everything that needs to go down and leave it by the basement door so that I can make one trip. I also make a list (who thought I'd ever be so organized?) of what to get when I get down there so I can make the trip less often. I have sweaters and shirts that are air dry only and I used to throw them in the dryer for ten minutes before air-drying them so that they'd come out less wrinkled. I now wear wrinkled sweaters so I can eliminate that extra trip downstairs! As someone else said, when possible, ask your children to make that trip for you.

Re: orthotics. Mine were custom-made by my podiatrist and I won't take a step without them. I have a Morton's neuroma and I, too, have very little padding on my feet and he said that some of my pain is because, at age 52, what fat I had is wearing out so I am walking directly on the bones of my feet. I find it so frustrating since I have always been slim and active, so it's not like I was fat and wore out my feet!!! I broke in my orthotics very, very slowly; 15 minutes one day, 20 the next, etc. My orthotics have almost totally eliminated the pain in the area of the neuroma.

As to Birkenstocks, I have a pair that were custom made for me and they were comfortable for only small periods of time before I got the PF and now I can't wear them at all without extreme pain in the arch/heel area. I look at them as instruments of torture!! But 99% of the people who post can't live without them! Again, break them in very slowly. (I should add that I have back problems which are exacerbated by wearing them so I'm not typical.)

And God bless husbands or wives who are willing to massage their spouses' feet before bed. I can't tell you the relief that brings me! Some nights it's means getting to sleep without a painkiller because I've had such a bad day.

One more note and I know this is lengthy and no one else will read it, but to you and all the other mothers who have this condition, don't hesitate to ask your kids for help. They won't grow up warped or resentful. I had a very sickly mother (not PF) and I don't look back with resentment because I had to pitch in with the household chores or care of my younger sister. Actually, I think it made me a more compassionate person. My kids are grown and one no longer lives at home and the other is in college, so I don't really deal with this issue, but I am a very independent person and find asking anyone for help extremely difficult. I now know, from painfully over-doing it, that if I want to get better, I have to accept help. Don't add guilt to your list of problems!

Julie on 11/25/01 at 12:18 (065199)

Kathy, I read your post to Rebecca and I'm sure others did too: it's full of good and helpful insights. Your last paragraph reminds me of something I was told when I had breast cancer and was facing a mastectomy: 'It's my turn to practise the generosity . and accept the help that people - including children - really want to give.

Julie on 11/25/01 at 12:20 (065200)

Oops. Lines got deleted. Sorry. I'll start again.

'It's my turn to practise the generosity of receiving'. I think this is something we all have to face at some point in our lives, and accept the help ...' etc

Re: questions for Steve (or others!)

Carole C on 11/25/01 at 12:47 (065203)

Steve, thanks for posting your suggestions for Rebecca. I'm new at all this too, so they are helpful for me. I'm doing a lot of the things you mentioned.

When you say, 'NO WEIGHTBEARING STRETCHES', would that include the weight of shoes while sitting down? I have been stretching barefoot, doing circles and up-and-down's with my feet while sitting down. But what about when I am at work and have to have my shoes on? I work at a computer, and after reading some posts here I was thinking probably I should start stretching before I get up from the computer at work.

Also, I am a little leery of one non-weightbearing exercise, riding my exercycle. I am thinking it might be possible that despite its non-weightbearing nature, the repetitive movement of the exercycle might not be so good for my PF, though I don't know. Anybody have any thoughts on that?

Thanks

Carole

Re: Bicycling? Glucosamine!

Carole C on 11/25/01 at 12:58 (065204)

Bicycling? I was afraid to continue on my exercycle, because of the repetitive nature of it. Did it help? Did you ride your bicycle a lot?

I have glucosamine which I got for my arthritis, but stopped taking it. Maybe I should start taking it again right now! It couldn't do any harm. :)

I can see that it might be easy to over-do by running around too much once I can do that. I am so tired of not being able to do things!

Carole

clara on 11/25/01 at 13:11 (065205)

Hi there Suzanne D and 'the gang'
Nice to here that you are there folks!!
Suzanne, I will try and tell you more about Sweden in a e-mail, it may take a couple of days, I have lots to do at work right now. And yes, I really though about you all over there 11 sept. Many people in the world did ..
i will keep in touch

/Clara

Re: accepting help from kids

Carole C on 11/25/01 at 13:11 (065206)

This is so true, that receiving is an act of generosity. When my daughter was a little toddler, I had a series of injuries and illnesses, including a foot injury that made it hard to walk and larygitis so that I could barely whisper. I was essentially raising her alone, because my ex was away at sea at the time. So, I had to get her to help me; there was no choice. It was amazing how much she was able to help. Now, some of the fondest memories we both have are of the loving help she gave me. It helped strengthen the bond of love between us. She liked the feeling of being needed, just like grownups want to feel needed.

Carole

Re: Thank you, Clara!

Suzanne D on 11/25/01 at 15:10 (065224)

Thanks so much, Clara! I hate to ask anyone to do anything extra, but I know it would mean so much to my children - and to me - to have your comments! If it takes a few days, that is just fine.

The mother of one of my students is from Germany, and she has agreed to come to our class and speak. I have a friend who spent 20-something years in Mexico and have information from her. With a message from you, along
with perhaps one from Julie, my class will certainly be enriched!

Thank you again for your kind reply. :-)

Suzanne D on 11/25/01 at 15:18 (065225)

Your comments are so true, Carole! I have found that often it is harder for me to accept help than to offer it. But I have learned that I can deprive someone else of the good feeling I get from helping others when I refuse their help! Children, especially, grow and mature when they are needed and their help is appreciated. I have a little girl in my classroom this year for the second year who has a multitude of problems. But, as she is a year older, I found myself depending on her as the year began to help me with many little chores. The fact that my feet hurt so badly made me need her even more for those little errands that take so many steps. As a result, she has matured and gained so much confidence. She routinely comes up to me and asks what she can do to help and seems disappointed if there is nothing at the time that I need!

Best wishes to you. I enjoyed reading your post.

Re: Suzanne re Christmas

Julie on 11/25/01 at 16:17 (065228)

I hope you've received by e-mail by now. Not easy for me - a New Yorker - to describe the English Christmas, but I've done my best.

Steve P on 11/25/01 at 17:28 (065234)

Carole -- Gentle stretches while sitting down should be fine. The weightbearing stretches that should be avoided are those done standing up (such as the infamous 'Wall Stretches'). I would not do ANY standing stretches with PF.

As for the exercise bike, I would use minimum resistance & be sure your feet are locked as far forward onto the pedals as possible. If your feet hurt while using the bike, I would stop. Some PF sufferers have successfully used an exercise bike, but I'd advise doing so cautiously.

Steve

John h on 11/25/01 at 19:11 (065241)

Julie: I thought Charles Dickens 'A Christmas Carol' explained all I ever want to know about an English Christmas. His other Christmas books: The Chimes, The Cricket on the Hearth, The Battle of Life and The Haunted Man will fill you in on the rest.

Re: evil wall stretches?

Rebecca H. on 11/25/01 at 19:14 (065242)

I thought they were good. I've been doing them. Are they bad? Why?

Re: Two Years????

Rebecca H. on 11/25/01 at 19:28 (065243)

Two YEARS!!!!!!!!! How are you coping with that?!!!!!!!! That's kindof scary to hear.

Re: Thank you, Julie!

Suzanne D on 11/25/01 at 20:36 (065251)

Julie, thank you so much for sending the e-mail! Actually I have found out today that my school e-mail is not working at the present. This is not unusual as during breaks sometimes I have found that I didn't receive mail only to have it all come in at once when we are back in school. I suppose they shut things down while we are out of school at times to work on the system. But it WILL come in tomorrow, I am sure, and I THANK YOU for taking the time to write to us! My children and I will answer your e-mail later, and you will see that it meant a great deal to them! Thank you for doing this. I DO appreciate it!! :-)

Re: to John from Suzanne

Suzanne D on 11/25/01 at 20:46 (065253)

How about Mickey's Christmas Carol (the Mickey Mouse version)? That would probably be more on my first graders' level! :-)

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving. I have appreciated reading your posts in the 4 months I have been reading and posting here.

John h on 11/25/01 at 21:59 (065263)

Suzanne somewhere along the way I missed good old Mickey's version. I would think teaching the 1st grade would be a lot of fun and very rewarding. I clearly remember my 1st grade class and all 12 classmates. Peggy who sat in front of me stabed me in the arm with a pencil when I pulled her pigtail and I still have the lead in my arm you can see today. I will never pull any girls pigtails again. Peggy taught me one of life's lessons.

Julie on 11/26/01 at 03:25 (065274)

Rebecca, the classic wall stretches recommended for PF by many podiatrists have been known to work for some people. But for many they've proved more harmful than beneficial. The aim of these stretches is to increase length and flexibility of the calf muscles (gastrocnemius and soleus) and the achilles tendon, but in my view, and in the experience of many people here, they are a good deal too strong for the injured plantar fascia, which is the end bit of gastroc-soleus-achilles continuum. Even when they are done correctly, which often they aren't, they exert too strong a pull on the fascia at its point in the heelbone. They can also strain the achilles tendon.

The 'stair stretch' (heels hanging off a stair) is still worse, because all your weight is bearing down on the fascia in a difficult-to-control situation.

Given what we've learned of your problems, I would be inclined to advise you to steer clear of them and concentrate on non weight-bearing stretches (such as the ones Nils describes).

Rebecca H on 11/26/01 at 09:51 (065287)

where is Nils description?

Suzanne D on 11/26/01 at 10:33 (065290)

Yes, John, teaching first grade IS fun and rewarding! (It is also tiring, but then, so is any job! And I DO love it.) Have you ever heard of the book All I Ever Need to Know, I Learned in Kindergarten? (I think I got the title correct; anyway, you get the point!) That's pretty true, when you think of it. I hope along with reading and math, etc. that I teach my young students some good lessons in life along with the ones they learn by experience - like not pulling pigtails! :-)

You'll have to rent the Mickey version of A Christmas Carol sometime; you'd probably like it!

Re: stretching description...

Suzanne D on 11/26/01 at 15:22 (065315)

Go to the Treatment/Symptoms/Products Message Board on this site, and you will find Nils description of the stretches. His post is entitled 'On the road to recovery, thanks to this site'.

Good luck!

John h on 11/26/01 at 18:34 (065336)

suzanne: you bet i have heard of the book 'All I Need to Know I Learned In Kindergarten'. I read much of it. Judy will now call me a sissy for reading it and if she hears I am watching Mickey Mouse it may go beyond sissy. I really did not know there was a Micky Mouse version of Christmas Carol. The only two teachers I remember from 1-8 are my 1st and 2nd grade teachers and I sure remember that devil girl peggy with the sharp pencil.

Suzanne D on 11/26/01 at 18:55 (065339)

John, isn't it funny what we remember? I often think of that in relation to my students. What will they remember? Probably not my carefully planned lessons or the decorations I work hard to put up in the room - probably something that seems insignificant. That is why each moment is so important!

Three things I remember from first grade: the teacher told the 'blue birds' to sit down, but I thought she said to stand up. When I did, she told me to go to the corner! (She probably had a migraine that day!) Anyway, when I got home, I headed straight for the first corner I came to. Why? Because my daddy said if I got a whipping at school, I would get one at home...

I remember being 'it' in some game which required me to stand outside the classroom door. I repeatedly told everyone coming up and down the hall that I wasn't in trouble, but we were playing a game. (My mother taught in that school, so I guess I felt I had to explain before she got wind of it!)

And I remember breaking my thermos and crying because Mama had taken the time to put a pink elephant decal on it to make it special. Someone went and got her, and then I was horribly embarassed!

Well, I had better stop before everyone thinks that I am nuts!! :-) Have a nice evening!

Suzanne D on 11/26/01 at 18:57 (065340)

I hope you got my e-mail, Julie, letting you know that I received your nice message about Christmas in England. THANKS again! :-)

Re: A Fellow Pianist!

Rebecca H on 11/26/01 at 18:57 (065341)

Thank you so much Suzanne. It's nice to find another pianist on the web! What kind of music does your church worship with? Ours is mostly contemporary christian with a few of the traditional great hymns. I have been learning to improvise the last couple of years because alot of the music our worship leader uses is just words and chord symbols. At first I hardly knew what to do with them but now I am getting comfortable with it. I guess you CAN teach an old dog new tricks. Hmmmmmm I'm talking about something other than Plantar Fasciitis! Must be a good sign.

Suzanne D on 11/26/01 at 19:04 (065344)

Yes, it is good to find interests to talk about besides our feet! You are right! I love to play piano; it really relaxes and refreshes me. It sounds like it does the same for you.

At our country church we sing mostly hymns, but we do sing some choruses with the words shown up on a screen. Sometimes we have the piano and organ, sometimes just the piano. There have been special ocassions when we have had a trumpet player to also play - as in a patriotic service on Veteran's Day not long ago. That was special. Now and then we have had other instruments for specials.

I was so glad when my PF begin to improve in that it did not hurt to sit and play. I can remember Sundays when it hurt so much just sitting with my legs straight down. Fortunately, my worst foot is my left, so that does not interfere with me using the pedal.

Hope you notice improvement soon!!

Re: Grade one and two

wendyn on 11/26/01 at 21:22 (065349)

My grade one teacher was pretty, but mean and she had big teeth. She could yell really loud.

My grade two teacher read us Charlie and the Chocolate factory. She was very nice, and very pretty. We made butter in class one day and we ate it on crackers. It was awsome.

Suzanne D on 11/26/01 at 21:34 (065354)

Thanks for sharing that, Wendy. I just got up to stretch after sitting for about an hour working on plans for my Christmas Around the World unit which will include some little treats to eat. Sometimes you wonder if all the effort for the 'extras' really matter, but when you wrote what you did, remembering making butter and eating it on crackers, it revived my spirits! :-)

By the way, I know you live in Canada. Are there any special Christmas customs unique to your country which I could tell my children about?

wendyn on 11/26/01 at 23:11 (065366)

Hmmm. Canadian Christmas customs?

I don't know if we have any that are unique?

Oh - American's don't have Boxing day do they?

Laurie R on 11/26/01 at 23:59 (065369)

Dear Suzanne , Yes the extra always matter that a teacher does for the kids. My youngest is in thrid grade and I just love her teacher. Her teacher does not have any children of her own .So she tells everyone she has 21 kids . Which if you think about it she does all day long . My oldest daughter had the same teacher in thrid grade . I had to make sure my youngest got her. She is very strick with the kids , but at the same time she is so kind . She is one of the best teachers ever. I always get the kids teachers gifts and always write a thank you card to tell them how much I appreciate all they do for the kids..... I think it is so important to do this.

It always matters Suzanne .. My daughters always tell me the special things their teachers do for them and the other kids...

You sound like a awesome teacher and your kids are so lucky to have you to teach them .....

much love to you always ,Laurie R

Re: Laurie and Suzanne

Julie on 11/27/01 at 04:48 (065370)

I agree, Laurie, and Suzanne looks like a wonderful teacher too. Suzanne, thanks so much for the photos you e-mailed. They're lovely, and I think you should post the one with yourself and the upside-down mask on heelspurs.com so everyone can see you. (You look exactly as I imagined you!)

john h on 11/27/01 at 09:45 (065385)

Wendy: For many years when I looked on the calendar and saw 'boxing day' i assumed it had to do with fighting in the ring which always seemed strange to me.

Re: Thank you, Laurie and Julie!

Suzanne D on 11/27/01 at 10:21 (065391)

Thank you both for your kind comments. I have a migraine today and am stealing a few minutes away in the room by myself during lunch to try to recuperate! Your comments made my day!

And, Julie, the little boy with the mask on upside down had an emergency apendectomy last night! We just finished making cards for him which I will take to the hospital tonight. I talked to him on the phone last night after I got the word, and he kept saying he wanted me to understand why he would not be at school so that I could tell all the kids.

Thanks for your messages!

Re: Thanks, Wendy!

Suzanne D on 11/27/01 at 10:23 (065394)

I will certainly tell the children about Boxing Day! Thanks for mentioning that. I was like John - for years I thought it had something to do with the sport! I learn along with my children! I had a great-aunt who taught 47 years, and when she retired, she said at her reception that she intended to learn something new every day for the rest of her life. She lived 18 more years, and I think she met her goal. She was an inspiration to me.

Re: Mother of 3 young kids relating to Rebecca

Jennifer D. on 11/27/01 at 11:26 (065401)

7. Get those kids to do as many chores as possible! You need to be off your feet when you can. They all need to understand this...

I can really relate to what Rebecca is saying..

This seems to be a great idea. But what if you have a baby???
I am a stay at home mom of 3 kids all under the age of 8. I have only had heel pain now 5 weeks. But it has been the longest 5 weeks of my life.

Everything is fine and dandy if you can rest and do things to stay off your feet during the day. But if i rest the kids will be neglected. especially the baby.

My heel hurts (and i know you all hear this a million times) from the minute i wake up in the morning ALL day to the minute i lay down.
I have been given 800mgs of motrin and it doesn't help at all.

Question. I have the heel gel cup thingies They don't help much. Should i get an arch support? Is it worth the investment.

Question: Do they make a good houseslipper? for heel pain? I have a home with all wood floors (ouch).

My husband isn't supporting me at all with this. And figures i can just deal with normal day to day activities as usuall. I am on a crash diet right now to loose wieght. I have about 40 pounds to loose. I'll do anything to help with the heel (my left).
I find myself in tears some days trying to do everything and deal with the kids. I am only 31 and i feel so handicapped.

Sorry for the million questions BUT i am trying to go about my life normal as possible put the best face forward for the kids and wait for my Podiatry appointment on the 18th of December.
Jennifer
(email removed)

ps. I guess the worse thing i could be doing is waking bearfoot on woodfloors.

john a on 11/27/01 at 12:25 (065404)

You say 'I guess the worse thing i could be doing is waking bearfoot on woodfloors.'

I wish I had wooden floors - they would at least give a little. The real worst thing for PF is going barefoot on bare concrete floors. :-)

As for something useful to say, by all means get a chair with wheels to make it easier to scoot from say kitchen counter to baby crib, etc.

John.

john a on 11/27/01 at 12:43 (065408)

Scott, does your code now remove html tags from user messages? I could have sworn I had some italics tags in the message I'm replying to now! This word italics should be in italics..

Julie on 11/28/01 at 02:22 (065473)

Thanks, Suzanne, and please tell little mister upside-down-mask that I send him my very best wishes for a speedy recovery.

He'll have a nice scar to show his pals!

Suzanne D on 11/28/01 at 07:41 (065480)

I sent an e-mail to you at the address you posted. I hope what I wrote may be of some help to you, Jennifer!

JudyS on 11/28/01 at 10:34 (065490)

I was the only one in Kindergarten who cried all day and wanted to go home. I had a boyfriend in Kindergarten named Michael - for a day or two. I was the only one in third grade who got a perfect score on a particular arithmetic test. In second grade I got hit in the mouth with one of those old wood-seat swings and my teacher had to take me to emergency in her red convertible with white leather upholstery...which I bled all over! I adored that teacher!

Suzanne D on 11/28/01 at 11:24 (065492)

Judy, I enjoyed reading your post! I am taking a few minutes break for my feet as I am at home working hard in my basement. I had to take the day off as rain came in and has threatened a HUGE MASS of school materials, etc. which I have accumulated through 22 years of teaching! Most has been stored in cardboard boxes, so now I am transferring and organizing in plastic. (Should have done that years ago, but you know how it is: plastic isn't cheap, and I have always made do with what I had.)

What you wrote made me think of how things have changed: not too many little children cry to go home or stare out the window wishing for snow and early school dismissal like they used to. Perhaps more daycares, etc.; I don't know. I just know that more of them seem to find school as their 'safe haven' and really seem to miss it if we are not there. Kind of sad when you think about it...I have had children tell me recently that they wished we could come on Saturdays, too. I don't remember anyone saying that when I first started teaching!

Also, teachers could never offer their hurt student a ride in their car to the emergency room - even if that was the quickest way for help. Always have to keep in mind not getting sued...Can't even give a tylenol to a child with a fever without written permission and the original bottle sent from home.

Well, back to work for me! This has got me thinking about my children at school and hoping they are faring well today.

Take care!

Re: Mother of 3 ER update..

Jennifer D. on 11/29/01 at 07:18 (065600)

I saw last night(because the pain became unbearable.) I actually could not place any wieght on the arch of my foot last night. HE said it was useless to do an x-ray if it were
a stress fracture that happened about 5 weeks ago. He said it would have healed by now.
He did however change around my meds.
He stopped me from taking motrin.
I am on now Naproxen 500mgs which i am to take exactly 2wice a day
and he said within 72 hours i should notice a difference with the swelling and pain.

Then he put me on Tramadol (ultram)??? This seemed to help almost immediately. I woke up this morning hardly swollen at all anywhere.
My foot did not hurt at all when i woke.

Now of course it does a little now that i am up and walking around.
TTFN
Jennifer

ps. I didn't have to wait more than 15 minutes at the ER. It was sooo slow. I got right in and he changed my meds. I did however have to hobble to the Pharmacy in the hospital. Took me 30 minutes to walk up there.

john h on 11/29/01 at 10:48 (065615)

judy: you sounded very much like a 'SISSY Girl' in grade school. I also got hit in the mouth in the 3rd grade by a rock thrown by Betty Greenwood. Thinking back it seems a lot of the little girls were mean to me.

Re: Jennifer

john h on 11/29/01 at 11:27 (065622)

jennifer: Ultram has been the only drug (non narcotic) that I have found to reduce the pain of PF. It is not an anti-inflamatory but strictly for pain reduction. Not habit forming and few side effects. For what ever reason some doctors are not all willing to give it to you on a regular basis. My family physician said at some point it was sold on the street. I told him I did not read or ever noticed any type of narcotic effect and he said some idiots might take 8 tablets at once. I take it on occasion at either a 1 or 2 tablets at 50mg each. My physician says it is a good safe med with few side effect and will not bother your stomach,kidneys, or liver and he has no problems prescribing it long term if it helps. This is pretty much how the Physicans Desk Reference reads. I am supprised I have not seen more post by people who have tried this drug for pain.

JudyS on 11/29/01 at 11:44 (065624)

you probably had it coming to you, dear John h!

Re: Ultram, John

Tammie on 11/29/01 at 13:41 (065637)

I have just been given this 2 weeks ago, finally for something to help with the pain. My pod only gave me a script for 10 pills and was very reluctant to give me anything. I kind of forced him to do something or I told him he would be responsible for me medicating myself with anything I could find and possibly harming myself in process. I found the ultram to be wonderful for up to 4 hrs. It allows me to fall a sleep without pain and tho it is short acting for myself I wake up in pain sometimes and take another. I am very good about medication I use only if I am at the end of my rope which I have been very much so as of late.

During the daytime tho I have found it can make me dizzy so I refrain from it and live thru it till night time! I do think this is good but I wonder if a side effect is drowssiness as it seems to have that effect on me and a very heavy feeling when I awake. I will take it tho I will take anything at this point. I am absoulty sick of hurting feet which then make calf and hips and back start hurting from a gait change I am sure.

So John u are saying not addictive? hmmmmmmmm I like the sounds of this ! But am wondering WHY the dr. is so hesitate in giving ? I have a appt. with him tomorrow and am savoring the last 2 pills as I am worried he will not give anymore. I thought that is pretty good 2 left from 10. I try to suffer thru as much as I can before I reach for them , as they are helpful and I want to save them for the worst of times. Sad to me that he feels this way. I am indeed seeing a different dr. soon, but still trying to work with him also, as I do like him and think he is trying his best with me. Thanks for the info on ultram. I thought I would respond also .

nancy s. on 11/29/01 at 15:55 (065650)

john: betty greenwood and a lot of other little girls probably had it in for you because you are SO fond of calling people sissies. especially judy. you'd better watch out if judy gets her hands on a Big Rock.

and now, as i hit the button to reply to this post, a First happened: my name was already typed in the 'name' blank, and i swear i did not do it. Scott, did you do it? is this a new high-tech feature designed once again to throw off the glued-to-habit among us? of course i am not one of them.

John h on 11/29/01 at 16:32 (065656)

judy what it indicate to me is that old saying 'little girls are made out of sugar and spice and everything nice and little boys are made out snakes and snails and puppy dog tails' is a bunch of garbage.

John h on 11/29/01 at 17:00 (065658)

Tammie: The first doctor to prescribe the Ultram was a Pain Specialist and he prescribed two tablets 4 times a day. I never took more than two in the morning which would carry me to mid afternoon with very little pain so i did not need any more than that. Sometimes i take one tablet, sometimes none and if i am really hurting I would take two. My family doctor of 20 years has no problem giving me a 6 month prescription because he knows me well enough to know i would not abuse drugs and rarely take as much as prescribed. It is not classified as a narcotic but in rare cases produces a narcotic like effect. I personally have never noticed any effect other than pain reduction. I have re-read the Physician's Desk Reference on this drug and it states it is not recommended for patients who have had a previous drug addiction problem or a tendency towards drug addiction. This probably explains why some doctors are reluctant to prescribe it to patients they are not seeing on a regular basis. It is sold under the brand name Tramadol. Max recommed dosage is 400mg day for those under 75. I rarely take more than 100mg if I am having some sort of set back. There are many other reasons as with any drug to know what not to take this drug with so discuss your personal situation with your doctor.

John h on 11/29/01 at 17:04 (065660)

nancy: judy is a sissy because I was at Dr. Z's observing her act in a sissy like manner when she was getting zapped. even texas barb was sissy like and her and judy both jumped all over a bottle of wine the minute their treatment was over.

John h on 11/29/01 at 17:07 (065662)

Nancy S. as you have probably discovered on both Internet Explorer and Netscape you can set your preferences to automatically fill in personal information on documents that require such information like name,address,phone number,etc. Maybe Scott has rigged the board to do that.

nancy s. on 11/29/01 at 18:29 (065669)

yes indeedy, scott has definitely rigged this board. life gets easier and easier!
john, are you trying to make me believe that you had no wine or martini after your zaps? judy and barb were the ONLY ones? i would find that hard to believe, as i'm sure would the whole board if they counted the word 'martini' in all your posts of these past few years.
in third grade i had a mangled toe, and my foot had to be strapped on top of my flattened sneaker in order for me to walk around. paul baird spent three days making sure he stepped right on my mangled toe, sending me into continual spasms of pain. he did it on purpose. in fourth grade he revealed to me that he'd had a crush on me. that was a helluva way to show it. perhaps betty greenwood was in love with you and is pining away for you somewhere. if so, continue to stay away from her. these people are sicko.

john h on 11/30/01 at 09:19 (065709)

Nancy S dear: i think you have hit the nail on the head. Little girls inflict great pain on little boys they love by hitting them with rocks and stabbing them with pencils. When these little girls grow up they continue to show their love to their husbands in a similar but more sophisticated sort of manner.

Re: The TRUTH......

JudyS on 11/30/01 at 11:03 (065722)

Well TexBarb, if you don't mind, I'm going to let the truth cat out of the bag now......

John, the real reason TexBarb and I were 'sissies' at Dr. Z's was that, as REAL women, it's our primary responsibility to make the men around us feel good about themselves. Seeming to be an emotional sissy is one good way to help a fella feel macho.

There, now you know.

Have you ever given birth? :)

John h on 11/30/01 at 13:23 (065740)

judy: your post sort of points out what i said in my post about little girls growing up to show their love by more 'sophisticated' means than rocks. yes you and barb did make me feel more like a manly man. Thank you both! I want ask dr Z to weigh in on this because he knows better than to pull a tigers tail.

JudyS on 11/30/01 at 14:46 (065751)

On the other hand...........I would never completely rule out rocks.........:)

BarbaraTX on 11/30/01 at 16:20 (065764)

I still prefer rocks and pencils. B.

BarbaraTX on 11/30/01 at 16:26 (065766)

At last, the truth is spoken.

Have you ever given birth in your living room?

Have you ever gone to a party after heelspur surgery?

John - I was driving through Highland Park (Dick Cheney's neighborhood) and thought of you. Dick says 'Hi.' B.

nancy s. on 11/30/01 at 20:06 (065779)

i'm with you, barb -- i still prefer rocks and pencils. in fact, i wish i'd had some in the truck today as my husband and i drove home from breakfast with one of us in a bad mood.
n.

John h on 11/30/01 at 20:35 (065783)

Barb: one of my favorite people in Highland Park just passed on. Mary K! Did you ever see her pink mansion in Highland Park?

BarbaraTX on 12/01/01 at 11:05 (065816)

Yes. It really is pink. My condolences to all the Mary Kay ladies out there. Dallas is MaryKayland, lots of makeup and big hair. I am geting better at the facepaint, but still working on the bigness of my hair. After being here ten years I thought I'd better get with the program. B.

Rebecca H. on 11/23/01 at 20:41 (065121)

Me again...You want to hear the funny part? My occupation: Piano Teacher

John h on 11/24/01 at 09:58 (065129)

You guys have arrived at the right place for the best possible help. This is no overnight disease and be prepared to be patient and do a lot of experimenting with some of the advice offered on theis board. Read read from all the people who have posted here in the past and present. Some immediate things you can do which is cost effective is to try night splints, tape your foot, continue iceing several times daily, wear shoes with good support or orthotics, under not circumstances over do by being on your feet all day, you might try wearing birkenstock airizona sandals as many swear by them. Most people in time will for the most part rid themselves of this disease. Yoko was a good example. She was here a year or so past and could hardly walk. This year she competed in and finished the NYC Marathon. When you catch this problem early their is every reason to be optimistic. Make sure you are comfortable with your doc and he gives you enouhg time to answer your questions. By no means consider surgery for at least a year or more and before that try ESWT which you can read about here. Good luck and hang tough.

Steve P on 11/24/01 at 10:08 (065133)

Hi Rebecca --- I'm glad you posted. You came to the right place! We can all relate to your story & are happy to help you. Please feel free to ask any questions.

PF is tough, but people nearly always have a full recovery. 90% do so with conservative treatments only. However, it can take many months & sometimes years.

I have a bad case of PF & am approaching the 2 year mark; however, I am slowly improving & hope to be pain-free one day. But the progress week to week & month to month is slow, as you know well.

I have several suggestions:

1. Read the Heel Pain Book on this website.
2. Ask your doctor about a prescription anti-inflammatory. Better than motrin.
3. Phase in your orthotics carefully & gradually.
4. Brief icing & self-massage a couple of times a day may help.
5. Be careful stretching........and NO WEIGHTBEARING STRETCHES!
6. Consider swimming or another non-weightbearing exercise to maintain your activity level.
7. Get those kids to do as many chores as possible! You need to be off your feet when you can. They all need to understand this.
8. Take heart....you will get there. This should not become a disability if you take reasonable steps now to keep it under control & start improving. The keys are discipline, rest & a good treatment program.

Best.........Steve

Megan C. on 11/24/01 at 12:19 (065149)

Thank you so much! It's good to know I have someone to talk to! I will check into those things you suggested.

Rebecca H. on 11/24/01 at 17:50 (065156)

Thank you guys! I apprectiate your suggestions...It's really great to know some people out there care and understand this cruddy foot pain.

Can you be a little more specific about breaking in the orthotics gradually?

Also...along with my 'common symptoms' of pf I also have really tender forefeet. It feels like I'm walking on the bones. Could this be from avoiding pressure on my heels???? The doctor and the podiatrist both said it is not Mortons Neuroma. The podiatrist said maybe it was 'capsulitis', in the second metatarsal where it hurts the most. On the xray that bone looked squared off. He looked at it a long time and said Hmmmm alot. He also said the orthotic would be made to keep pressure off that second metatarsal. But how is that going to help all the other sore spots that feel like I'm walking on bones.

Also, can anyone give me info about whether or not heat can make pf worse?
I like to put my feet in very hot water but wondered if that might only exacerbate the inflammation.

My husband is giving me foot and calf massages before bedtime. That is helping me sleep better and not wake up as many times in pain and despair. Something to add to the HOW TO KNOW IF YOU HAVE PF List: Your six-year old can pronounc 'plantar fasciitis'

Steve P on 11/24/01 at 18:08 (065159)

Rebecca -- I think orthotics generally help relieve pressure on the metatarsals, so there's a good chance your orthotics will help you in that area. You might want to ask that question on the 'Ask the foot doctors' board on this website to get an expert opinion.

Some people swear by orthotics, others by Birkenstocks. You might want to experiment with both at different times. In either case, I would gradually break them in......meaning only a little usage the first day, a little more the 2nd & so on. Some people take a week to 2 weeks to phase orthotics in. Be sure you discuss this with your pod. But I would not wear them for hours on end the first few days, just in case they don't agree with you, which can sometimes happen.

I personally never use heat. I ice my feet for 10 minutes 2-3 times a day using gelpacks. I think most doctors agree that icing is beneficial.

best.......Steve

Rebecca H. on 11/24/01 at 18:29 (065160)

What is it that makes Birkenstocks so good? The picture of them looks just like some other sandals I had that hurt my feet.
Not that I don't believe you. Just wondering. I've already spent so much money on all these shoes and I can't even wear them!

Re: Birkenstocks - to Rebecca

Julie on 11/25/01 at 02:29 (065168)

Suzanne replied to your question on another thread. Apart from the attributes she mentioned - molding to your feet, good arch support etc - Birkenstocks contribute to healing by strengthening your feet. If you walk in them as you're meant to, using the toe bar to grip with your toes, you'll be working the entire musculature of each foot. This is an aspect that isn't as well understood as the arch support they give, but I have found it the most helpful thing about them. I have several pairs of Arizonas, and wear them all the time indoors.

They are not like other sandals; they're a completely different concept, and it would be worth your looking into them. They don't suit everybody, but if they do suit you, you will find them helpful, as so many here have. The best way to investigate them, if you decide to, is to find a shop that stocks a comprehensive line (there are hundreds of different styles, styles within styles, and colours - the classic Arizona is probably the one to start with) and skilled salespeople who can advise you. The correct size looks too big to most people, because the footbed is meant to extend beyond your toes.

If you buy a pair, you need to give your feet time to accommodate themselves to them. They will probably be uncomfortable at first. Wear them for half an hour a day for the first few days, and increase gradually over a month or so.

Birkenstocks are available from several on-line stores. The German website (link here or on the home page) is the cheapest, but shipping takes 3 months unless you pay for air freight. But don't buy on line until you've tried them and know they're right for you - that means buying from a 'real' store.

Good luck!

clara on 11/25/01 at 04:58 (065169)

Hello there Rebecca and all heelspurs-friends!

I can se that you already have got many good advices, and I´m sure you´re going to be o.k. I am now 'cured' and back to work! I have not been posting for a long time because I work so much, but I will not go away, I check the board once a week. I´m happpy you are back Julie, I´ve been missing you!

Rebecka, try all the good advices you can get here, and, the most important thing is - you´ve got friends here!!! We know how it is to have this awful PF. I am 36 years old, living in Sweden (that´s why my english are like this...!) and have two boys, 9 and 2 years old. In feb. this year I got PF at both feet and sat in a wheel-chair for a couple of months. I crawled around the house. It was a nightmare!!!! In august I got better and now I have no pain at all.

I got 'cured' with inserts, glucosamine pills (yes! It´s a miracle for me, and no drug that makes you dizzy!), acupuncture (20 times!!), ultrasound-therapy, bicycling (!) and all this good friends at heelspurs.com.

Rest, rest and doon´t do like I did. I runned around to much when I got a little better and then it took longer than it should to get cured.

So, it takes time. But it will go away.PF is not Pain Forever, even if you think so right now.

I know I´m lucky, I think about that every day, and I feel more greatful towards life than ever before. Every morning I wake up I think about how happy I am.

Take care

/Clara

Suzanne D on 11/25/01 at 07:46 (065172)

Dear Clara,
It was good to read a post from you this morning. I still remember how kind and sympathetic you were to our country after the September 11 tragedies! I am glad to hear that you are doing so well! I like what you said about PF not being Pain Forever!!
I have a request for you, if you have the time. My first grade class is going to be studying about Christmas in other countries in the next 3 weeks. Sweden is one of the countries we will learn a little about. I have a book about your customs, but I thought it would be wonderful if you were able to write a paragraph or two about Christmas in your country so that I could read it to my children. They would consider it quite special to receive a message from 'a real person' from a country we are learning about! If you find the time to do so, I would greatly appreciate it! My school e-mail is (email removed)
I wish for you and your family a very pleasant holiday season!

Re: request for Julie...

Suzanne D on 11/25/01 at 07:58 (065173)

Dear Julie,
Thank you for explaining better than I could the benefits of Birkenstock sandals and shoes. You write so well and have so much knowledge on the subject of PF and ways to treat the condition! I have learned a great deal from reading your posts on this site.
I have a similar request of you that I just wrote to Clara in Sweden. If you have the time, I would love for my class at school to be able to hear from someone in England in regard to Christmas customs in your country. Just a paragraph or two would be much appreciated! If you are able to, my school e-mail is the following:
(email removed)
I wish you and your family well at this special season and always.

Rebecca H on 11/25/01 at 08:38 (065175)

I thought PF stood for Poor Feet.

Anyway, thank you everyone! Ya'll have no idea how much all your letters have meant to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (or maybe you do) I feel like I have found a whole new group of friends-with hearts of gold to be reaching out across cyber space to encourage a fellow poor-footer.

I have just done something that is extremely difficult for me: made the decision to stay home from church today so my feet can get some rest. Now maybe for some people this would seem like a nice thing...getting to stay home from church : ) but for me its really hard. It is the highlight of my whole week. I play keyboard in the praise band and have so many friends there. I feel really lonely and tearful but I know its something I have to do since church meets in a highschool and involves alot of walking on vary hard floors.

Suzanne D on 11/25/01 at 09:00 (065177)

I understand, Rebecca!! I play the piano at my church, too, and am getting ready to leave for church now. I will be thinking of you this morning and wishing for you improvement very soon! You are in my prayers...I hope you can find some good music to listen to as you rest this morning!

Re: Hello Clara

Julie on 11/25/01 at 09:13 (065180)

I'm so glad you're really better, and back at work now, and happy!

Thanks for thinking of me.

John h on 11/25/01 at 10:05 (065183)

Rebecca: Breaking in gradually will mean different things to different people. Birks, I believe have an insert. that recommends a couple of hours a day to start with and gradually work up the ladder. I had my birks a solid year and did not like them and my feet were hurting so bad i thought might as well give them a go and after about a week I could not do without them. The insert that came with my custom orthotics also advised wearing them for a couple of hours a day until your foot becomes accustomed to them.

Re: Hi Clara

Steve P on 11/25/01 at 10:29 (065189)

Clara -- It's good to hear from you. Congratulations on your recovery!

Best..........Steve

Kathy G on 11/25/01 at 11:01 (065193)

Hi Rebecca,

It is so hard to stay upbeat, isn't it? You're so right, not only have people not heard of PF, I find that most of them don't have any reason to become educated on the subject. Thus, as we enter the holiday season, I try to remind myself that my relatives don't mean anything when they are shocked that I can't go to the holiday fairs or malls with them! They all just seem to think that PF goes away - maybe in 6 weeks like many physical maladies - and they forget that I still have it!

I can't add much to the great advice you've already received. One thing you mentioned is going up and down the stairs. I live in a small ranch and my laundry room, freezer, extra frig are all downstairs. I tend to make a big pile of everything that needs to go down and leave it by the basement door so that I can make one trip. I also make a list (who thought I'd ever be so organized?) of what to get when I get down there so I can make the trip less often. I have sweaters and shirts that are air dry only and I used to throw them in the dryer for ten minutes before air-drying them so that they'd come out less wrinkled. I now wear wrinkled sweaters so I can eliminate that extra trip downstairs! As someone else said, when possible, ask your children to make that trip for you.

Re: orthotics. Mine were custom-made by my podiatrist and I won't take a step without them. I have a Morton's neuroma and I, too, have very little padding on my feet and he said that some of my pain is because, at age 52, what fat I had is wearing out so I am walking directly on the bones of my feet. I find it so frustrating since I have always been slim and active, so it's not like I was fat and wore out my feet!!! I broke in my orthotics very, very slowly; 15 minutes one day, 20 the next, etc. My orthotics have almost totally eliminated the pain in the area of the neuroma.

As to Birkenstocks, I have a pair that were custom made for me and they were comfortable for only small periods of time before I got the PF and now I can't wear them at all without extreme pain in the arch/heel area. I look at them as instruments of torture!! But 99% of the people who post can't live without them! Again, break them in very slowly. (I should add that I have back problems which are exacerbated by wearing them so I'm not typical.)

And God bless husbands or wives who are willing to massage their spouses' feet before bed. I can't tell you the relief that brings me! Some nights it's means getting to sleep without a painkiller because I've had such a bad day.

One more note and I know this is lengthy and no one else will read it, but to you and all the other mothers who have this condition, don't hesitate to ask your kids for help. They won't grow up warped or resentful. I had a very sickly mother (not PF) and I don't look back with resentment because I had to pitch in with the household chores or care of my younger sister. Actually, I think it made me a more compassionate person. My kids are grown and one no longer lives at home and the other is in college, so I don't really deal with this issue, but I am a very independent person and find asking anyone for help extremely difficult. I now know, from painfully over-doing it, that if I want to get better, I have to accept help. Don't add guilt to your list of problems!

Julie on 11/25/01 at 12:18 (065199)

Kathy, I read your post to Rebecca and I'm sure others did too: it's full of good and helpful insights. Your last paragraph reminds me of something I was told when I had breast cancer and was facing a mastectomy: 'It's my turn to practise the generosity . and accept the help that people - including children - really want to give.

Julie on 11/25/01 at 12:20 (065200)

Oops. Lines got deleted. Sorry. I'll start again.

'It's my turn to practise the generosity of receiving'. I think this is something we all have to face at some point in our lives, and accept the help ...' etc

Carole C on 11/25/01 at 12:47 (065203)

Steve, thanks for posting your suggestions for Rebecca. I'm new at all this too, so they are helpful for me. I'm doing a lot of the things you mentioned.

When you say, 'NO WEIGHTBEARING STRETCHES', would that include the weight of shoes while sitting down? I have been stretching barefoot, doing circles and up-and-down's with my feet while sitting down. But what about when I am at work and have to have my shoes on? I work at a computer, and after reading some posts here I was thinking probably I should start stretching before I get up from the computer at work.

Also, I am a little leery of one non-weightbearing exercise, riding my exercycle. I am thinking it might be possible that despite its non-weightbearing nature, the repetitive movement of the exercycle might not be so good for my PF, though I don't know. Anybody have any thoughts on that?

Thanks

Carole

Re: Bicycling? Glucosamine!

Carole C on 11/25/01 at 12:58 (065204)

Bicycling? I was afraid to continue on my exercycle, because of the repetitive nature of it. Did it help? Did you ride your bicycle a lot?

I have glucosamine which I got for my arthritis, but stopped taking it. Maybe I should start taking it again right now! It couldn't do any harm. :)

I can see that it might be easy to over-do by running around too much once I can do that. I am so tired of not being able to do things!

Carole

clara on 11/25/01 at 13:11 (065205)

Hi there Suzanne D and 'the gang'
Nice to here that you are there folks!!
Suzanne, I will try and tell you more about Sweden in a e-mail, it may take a couple of days, I have lots to do at work right now. And yes, I really though about you all over there 11 sept. Many people in the world did ..
i will keep in touch

/Clara

Carole C on 11/25/01 at 13:11 (065206)

This is so true, that receiving is an act of generosity. When my daughter was a little toddler, I had a series of injuries and illnesses, including a foot injury that made it hard to walk and larygitis so that I could barely whisper. I was essentially raising her alone, because my ex was away at sea at the time. So, I had to get her to help me; there was no choice. It was amazing how much she was able to help. Now, some of the fondest memories we both have are of the loving help she gave me. It helped strengthen the bond of love between us. She liked the feeling of being needed, just like grownups want to feel needed.

Carole

Re: Thank you, Clara!

Suzanne D on 11/25/01 at 15:10 (065224)

Thanks so much, Clara! I hate to ask anyone to do anything extra, but I know it would mean so much to my children - and to me - to have your comments! If it takes a few days, that is just fine.

The mother of one of my students is from Germany, and she has agreed to come to our class and speak. I have a friend who spent 20-something years in Mexico and have information from her. With a message from you, along
with perhaps one from Julie, my class will certainly be enriched!

Thank you again for your kind reply. :-)

Suzanne D on 11/25/01 at 15:18 (065225)

Your comments are so true, Carole! I have found that often it is harder for me to accept help than to offer it. But I have learned that I can deprive someone else of the good feeling I get from helping others when I refuse their help! Children, especially, grow and mature when they are needed and their help is appreciated. I have a little girl in my classroom this year for the second year who has a multitude of problems. But, as she is a year older, I found myself depending on her as the year began to help me with many little chores. The fact that my feet hurt so badly made me need her even more for those little errands that take so many steps. As a result, she has matured and gained so much confidence. She routinely comes up to me and asks what she can do to help and seems disappointed if there is nothing at the time that I need!

Best wishes to you. I enjoyed reading your post.

Julie on 11/25/01 at 16:17 (065228)

I hope you've received by e-mail by now. Not easy for me - a New Yorker - to describe the English Christmas, but I've done my best.

Steve P on 11/25/01 at 17:28 (065234)

Carole -- Gentle stretches while sitting down should be fine. The weightbearing stretches that should be avoided are those done standing up (such as the infamous 'Wall Stretches'). I would not do ANY standing stretches with PF.

As for the exercise bike, I would use minimum resistance & be sure your feet are locked as far forward onto the pedals as possible. If your feet hurt while using the bike, I would stop. Some PF sufferers have successfully used an exercise bike, but I'd advise doing so cautiously.

Steve

John h on 11/25/01 at 19:11 (065241)

Julie: I thought Charles Dickens 'A Christmas Carol' explained all I ever want to know about an English Christmas. His other Christmas books: The Chimes, The Cricket on the Hearth, The Battle of Life and The Haunted Man will fill you in on the rest.

Rebecca H. on 11/25/01 at 19:14 (065242)

I thought they were good. I've been doing them. Are they bad? Why?

Re: Two Years????

Rebecca H. on 11/25/01 at 19:28 (065243)

Two YEARS!!!!!!!!! How are you coping with that?!!!!!!!! That's kindof scary to hear.

Suzanne D on 11/25/01 at 20:36 (065251)

Julie, thank you so much for sending the e-mail! Actually I have found out today that my school e-mail is not working at the present. This is not unusual as during breaks sometimes I have found that I didn't receive mail only to have it all come in at once when we are back in school. I suppose they shut things down while we are out of school at times to work on the system. But it WILL come in tomorrow, I am sure, and I THANK YOU for taking the time to write to us! My children and I will answer your e-mail later, and you will see that it meant a great deal to them! Thank you for doing this. I DO appreciate it!! :-)

Suzanne D on 11/25/01 at 20:46 (065253)

How about Mickey's Christmas Carol (the Mickey Mouse version)? That would probably be more on my first graders' level! :-)

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving. I have appreciated reading your posts in the 4 months I have been reading and posting here.

John h on 11/25/01 at 21:59 (065263)

Suzanne somewhere along the way I missed good old Mickey's version. I would think teaching the 1st grade would be a lot of fun and very rewarding. I clearly remember my 1st grade class and all 12 classmates. Peggy who sat in front of me stabed me in the arm with a pencil when I pulled her pigtail and I still have the lead in my arm you can see today. I will never pull any girls pigtails again. Peggy taught me one of life's lessons.

Julie on 11/26/01 at 03:25 (065274)

Rebecca, the classic wall stretches recommended for PF by many podiatrists have been known to work for some people. But for many they've proved more harmful than beneficial. The aim of these stretches is to increase length and flexibility of the calf muscles (gastrocnemius and soleus) and the achilles tendon, but in my view, and in the experience of many people here, they are a good deal too strong for the injured plantar fascia, which is the end bit of gastroc-soleus-achilles continuum. Even when they are done correctly, which often they aren't, they exert too strong a pull on the fascia at its point in the heelbone. They can also strain the achilles tendon.

The 'stair stretch' (heels hanging off a stair) is still worse, because all your weight is bearing down on the fascia in a difficult-to-control situation.

Given what we've learned of your problems, I would be inclined to advise you to steer clear of them and concentrate on non weight-bearing stretches (such as the ones Nils describes).

Rebecca H on 11/26/01 at 09:51 (065287)

where is Nils description?

Suzanne D on 11/26/01 at 10:33 (065290)

Yes, John, teaching first grade IS fun and rewarding! (It is also tiring, but then, so is any job! And I DO love it.) Have you ever heard of the book All I Ever Need to Know, I Learned in Kindergarten? (I think I got the title correct; anyway, you get the point!) That's pretty true, when you think of it. I hope along with reading and math, etc. that I teach my young students some good lessons in life along with the ones they learn by experience - like not pulling pigtails! :-)

You'll have to rent the Mickey version of A Christmas Carol sometime; you'd probably like it!

Re: stretching description...

Suzanne D on 11/26/01 at 15:22 (065315)

Go to the Treatment/Symptoms/Products Message Board on this site, and you will find Nils description of the stretches. His post is entitled 'On the road to recovery, thanks to this site'.

Good luck!

John h on 11/26/01 at 18:34 (065336)

suzanne: you bet i have heard of the book 'All I Need to Know I Learned In Kindergarten'. I read much of it. Judy will now call me a sissy for reading it and if she hears I am watching Mickey Mouse it may go beyond sissy. I really did not know there was a Micky Mouse version of Christmas Carol. The only two teachers I remember from 1-8 are my 1st and 2nd grade teachers and I sure remember that devil girl peggy with the sharp pencil.

Suzanne D on 11/26/01 at 18:55 (065339)

John, isn't it funny what we remember? I often think of that in relation to my students. What will they remember? Probably not my carefully planned lessons or the decorations I work hard to put up in the room - probably something that seems insignificant. That is why each moment is so important!

Three things I remember from first grade: the teacher told the 'blue birds' to sit down, but I thought she said to stand up. When I did, she told me to go to the corner! (She probably had a migraine that day!) Anyway, when I got home, I headed straight for the first corner I came to. Why? Because my daddy said if I got a whipping at school, I would get one at home...

I remember being 'it' in some game which required me to stand outside the classroom door. I repeatedly told everyone coming up and down the hall that I wasn't in trouble, but we were playing a game. (My mother taught in that school, so I guess I felt I had to explain before she got wind of it!)

And I remember breaking my thermos and crying because Mama had taken the time to put a pink elephant decal on it to make it special. Someone went and got her, and then I was horribly embarassed!

Well, I had better stop before everyone thinks that I am nuts!! :-) Have a nice evening!

Suzanne D on 11/26/01 at 18:57 (065340)

I hope you got my e-mail, Julie, letting you know that I received your nice message about Christmas in England. THANKS again! :-)

Rebecca H on 11/26/01 at 18:57 (065341)

Thank you so much Suzanne. It's nice to find another pianist on the web! What kind of music does your church worship with? Ours is mostly contemporary christian with a few of the traditional great hymns. I have been learning to improvise the last couple of years because alot of the music our worship leader uses is just words and chord symbols. At first I hardly knew what to do with them but now I am getting comfortable with it. I guess you CAN teach an old dog new tricks. Hmmmmmm I'm talking about something other than Plantar Fasciitis! Must be a good sign.

Suzanne D on 11/26/01 at 19:04 (065344)

Yes, it is good to find interests to talk about besides our feet! You are right! I love to play piano; it really relaxes and refreshes me. It sounds like it does the same for you.

At our country church we sing mostly hymns, but we do sing some choruses with the words shown up on a screen. Sometimes we have the piano and organ, sometimes just the piano. There have been special ocassions when we have had a trumpet player to also play - as in a patriotic service on Veteran's Day not long ago. That was special. Now and then we have had other instruments for specials.

I was so glad when my PF begin to improve in that it did not hurt to sit and play. I can remember Sundays when it hurt so much just sitting with my legs straight down. Fortunately, my worst foot is my left, so that does not interfere with me using the pedal.

Hope you notice improvement soon!!

wendyn on 11/26/01 at 21:22 (065349)

My grade one teacher was pretty, but mean and she had big teeth. She could yell really loud.

My grade two teacher read us Charlie and the Chocolate factory. She was very nice, and very pretty. We made butter in class one day and we ate it on crackers. It was awsome.

Suzanne D on 11/26/01 at 21:34 (065354)

Thanks for sharing that, Wendy. I just got up to stretch after sitting for about an hour working on plans for my Christmas Around the World unit which will include some little treats to eat. Sometimes you wonder if all the effort for the 'extras' really matter, but when you wrote what you did, remembering making butter and eating it on crackers, it revived my spirits! :-)

By the way, I know you live in Canada. Are there any special Christmas customs unique to your country which I could tell my children about?

wendyn on 11/26/01 at 23:11 (065366)

Hmmm. Canadian Christmas customs?

I don't know if we have any that are unique?

Oh - American's don't have Boxing day do they?

Laurie R on 11/26/01 at 23:59 (065369)

Dear Suzanne , Yes the extra always matter that a teacher does for the kids. My youngest is in thrid grade and I just love her teacher. Her teacher does not have any children of her own .So she tells everyone she has 21 kids . Which if you think about it she does all day long . My oldest daughter had the same teacher in thrid grade . I had to make sure my youngest got her. She is very strick with the kids , but at the same time she is so kind . She is one of the best teachers ever. I always get the kids teachers gifts and always write a thank you card to tell them how much I appreciate all they do for the kids..... I think it is so important to do this.

It always matters Suzanne .. My daughters always tell me the special things their teachers do for them and the other kids...

You sound like a awesome teacher and your kids are so lucky to have you to teach them .....

much love to you always ,Laurie R

Re: Laurie and Suzanne

Julie on 11/27/01 at 04:48 (065370)

I agree, Laurie, and Suzanne looks like a wonderful teacher too. Suzanne, thanks so much for the photos you e-mailed. They're lovely, and I think you should post the one with yourself and the upside-down mask on heelspurs.com so everyone can see you. (You look exactly as I imagined you!)

john h on 11/27/01 at 09:45 (065385)

Wendy: For many years when I looked on the calendar and saw 'boxing day' i assumed it had to do with fighting in the ring which always seemed strange to me.

Suzanne D on 11/27/01 at 10:21 (065391)

Thank you both for your kind comments. I have a migraine today and am stealing a few minutes away in the room by myself during lunch to try to recuperate! Your comments made my day!

And, Julie, the little boy with the mask on upside down had an emergency apendectomy last night! We just finished making cards for him which I will take to the hospital tonight. I talked to him on the phone last night after I got the word, and he kept saying he wanted me to understand why he would not be at school so that I could tell all the kids.

Thanks for your messages!

Re: Thanks, Wendy!

Suzanne D on 11/27/01 at 10:23 (065394)

I will certainly tell the children about Boxing Day! Thanks for mentioning that. I was like John - for years I thought it had something to do with the sport! I learn along with my children! I had a great-aunt who taught 47 years, and when she retired, she said at her reception that she intended to learn something new every day for the rest of her life. She lived 18 more years, and I think she met her goal. She was an inspiration to me.

Jennifer D. on 11/27/01 at 11:26 (065401)

7. Get those kids to do as many chores as possible! You need to be off your feet when you can. They all need to understand this...

I can really relate to what Rebecca is saying..

This seems to be a great idea. But what if you have a baby???
I am a stay at home mom of 3 kids all under the age of 8. I have only had heel pain now 5 weeks. But it has been the longest 5 weeks of my life.

Everything is fine and dandy if you can rest and do things to stay off your feet during the day. But if i rest the kids will be neglected. especially the baby.

My heel hurts (and i know you all hear this a million times) from the minute i wake up in the morning ALL day to the minute i lay down.
I have been given 800mgs of motrin and it doesn't help at all.

Question. I have the heel gel cup thingies They don't help much. Should i get an arch support? Is it worth the investment.

Question: Do they make a good houseslipper? for heel pain? I have a home with all wood floors (ouch).

My husband isn't supporting me at all with this. And figures i can just deal with normal day to day activities as usuall. I am on a crash diet right now to loose wieght. I have about 40 pounds to loose. I'll do anything to help with the heel (my left).
I find myself in tears some days trying to do everything and deal with the kids. I am only 31 and i feel so handicapped.

Sorry for the million questions BUT i am trying to go about my life normal as possible put the best face forward for the kids and wait for my Podiatry appointment on the 18th of December.
Jennifer
(email removed)

ps. I guess the worse thing i could be doing is waking bearfoot on woodfloors.

john a on 11/27/01 at 12:25 (065404)

You say 'I guess the worse thing i could be doing is waking bearfoot on woodfloors.'

I wish I had wooden floors - they would at least give a little. The real worst thing for PF is going barefoot on bare concrete floors. :-)

As for something useful to say, by all means get a chair with wheels to make it easier to scoot from say kitchen counter to baby crib, etc.

John.

john a on 11/27/01 at 12:43 (065408)

Scott, does your code now remove html tags from user messages? I could have sworn I had some italics tags in the message I'm replying to now! This word italics should be in italics..

Julie on 11/28/01 at 02:22 (065473)

Thanks, Suzanne, and please tell little mister upside-down-mask that I send him my very best wishes for a speedy recovery.

He'll have a nice scar to show his pals!

Suzanne D on 11/28/01 at 07:41 (065480)

I sent an e-mail to you at the address you posted. I hope what I wrote may be of some help to you, Jennifer!

JudyS on 11/28/01 at 10:34 (065490)

I was the only one in Kindergarten who cried all day and wanted to go home. I had a boyfriend in Kindergarten named Michael - for a day or two. I was the only one in third grade who got a perfect score on a particular arithmetic test. In second grade I got hit in the mouth with one of those old wood-seat swings and my teacher had to take me to emergency in her red convertible with white leather upholstery...which I bled all over! I adored that teacher!

Suzanne D on 11/28/01 at 11:24 (065492)

Judy, I enjoyed reading your post! I am taking a few minutes break for my feet as I am at home working hard in my basement. I had to take the day off as rain came in and has threatened a HUGE MASS of school materials, etc. which I have accumulated through 22 years of teaching! Most has been stored in cardboard boxes, so now I am transferring and organizing in plastic. (Should have done that years ago, but you know how it is: plastic isn't cheap, and I have always made do with what I had.)

What you wrote made me think of how things have changed: not too many little children cry to go home or stare out the window wishing for snow and early school dismissal like they used to. Perhaps more daycares, etc.; I don't know. I just know that more of them seem to find school as their 'safe haven' and really seem to miss it if we are not there. Kind of sad when you think about it...I have had children tell me recently that they wished we could come on Saturdays, too. I don't remember anyone saying that when I first started teaching!

Also, teachers could never offer their hurt student a ride in their car to the emergency room - even if that was the quickest way for help. Always have to keep in mind not getting sued...Can't even give a tylenol to a child with a fever without written permission and the original bottle sent from home.

Well, back to work for me! This has got me thinking about my children at school and hoping they are faring well today.

Take care!

Re: Mother of 3 ER update..

Jennifer D. on 11/29/01 at 07:18 (065600)

I saw last night(because the pain became unbearable.) I actually could not place any wieght on the arch of my foot last night. HE said it was useless to do an x-ray if it were
a stress fracture that happened about 5 weeks ago. He said it would have healed by now.
He did however change around my meds.
He stopped me from taking motrin.
I am on now Naproxen 500mgs which i am to take exactly 2wice a day
and he said within 72 hours i should notice a difference with the swelling and pain.

Then he put me on Tramadol (ultram)??? This seemed to help almost immediately. I woke up this morning hardly swollen at all anywhere.
My foot did not hurt at all when i woke.

Now of course it does a little now that i am up and walking around.
TTFN
Jennifer

ps. I didn't have to wait more than 15 minutes at the ER. It was sooo slow. I got right in and he changed my meds. I did however have to hobble to the Pharmacy in the hospital. Took me 30 minutes to walk up there.

john h on 11/29/01 at 10:48 (065615)

judy: you sounded very much like a 'SISSY Girl' in grade school. I also got hit in the mouth in the 3rd grade by a rock thrown by Betty Greenwood. Thinking back it seems a lot of the little girls were mean to me.

Re: Jennifer

john h on 11/29/01 at 11:27 (065622)

jennifer: Ultram has been the only drug (non narcotic) that I have found to reduce the pain of PF. It is not an anti-inflamatory but strictly for pain reduction. Not habit forming and few side effects. For what ever reason some doctors are not all willing to give it to you on a regular basis. My family physician said at some point it was sold on the street. I told him I did not read or ever noticed any type of narcotic effect and he said some idiots might take 8 tablets at once. I take it on occasion at either a 1 or 2 tablets at 50mg each. My physician says it is a good safe med with few side effect and will not bother your stomach,kidneys, or liver and he has no problems prescribing it long term if it helps. This is pretty much how the Physicans Desk Reference reads. I am supprised I have not seen more post by people who have tried this drug for pain.

JudyS on 11/29/01 at 11:44 (065624)

you probably had it coming to you, dear John h!

Tammie on 11/29/01 at 13:41 (065637)

I have just been given this 2 weeks ago, finally for something to help with the pain. My pod only gave me a script for 10 pills and was very reluctant to give me anything. I kind of forced him to do something or I told him he would be responsible for me medicating myself with anything I could find and possibly harming myself in process. I found the ultram to be wonderful for up to 4 hrs. It allows me to fall a sleep without pain and tho it is short acting for myself I wake up in pain sometimes and take another. I am very good about medication I use only if I am at the end of my rope which I have been very much so as of late.

During the daytime tho I have found it can make me dizzy so I refrain from it and live thru it till night time! I do think this is good but I wonder if a side effect is drowssiness as it seems to have that effect on me and a very heavy feeling when I awake. I will take it tho I will take anything at this point. I am absoulty sick of hurting feet which then make calf and hips and back start hurting from a gait change I am sure.

So John u are saying not addictive? hmmmmmmmm I like the sounds of this ! But am wondering WHY the dr. is so hesitate in giving ? I have a appt. with him tomorrow and am savoring the last 2 pills as I am worried he will not give anymore. I thought that is pretty good 2 left from 10. I try to suffer thru as much as I can before I reach for them , as they are helpful and I want to save them for the worst of times. Sad to me that he feels this way. I am indeed seeing a different dr. soon, but still trying to work with him also, as I do like him and think he is trying his best with me. Thanks for the info on ultram. I thought I would respond also .

nancy s. on 11/29/01 at 15:55 (065650)

john: betty greenwood and a lot of other little girls probably had it in for you because you are SO fond of calling people sissies. especially judy. you'd better watch out if judy gets her hands on a Big Rock.

and now, as i hit the button to reply to this post, a First happened: my name was already typed in the 'name' blank, and i swear i did not do it. Scott, did you do it? is this a new high-tech feature designed once again to throw off the glued-to-habit among us? of course i am not one of them.

John h on 11/29/01 at 16:32 (065656)

judy what it indicate to me is that old saying 'little girls are made out of sugar and spice and everything nice and little boys are made out snakes and snails and puppy dog tails' is a bunch of garbage.

John h on 11/29/01 at 17:00 (065658)

Tammie: The first doctor to prescribe the Ultram was a Pain Specialist and he prescribed two tablets 4 times a day. I never took more than two in the morning which would carry me to mid afternoon with very little pain so i did not need any more than that. Sometimes i take one tablet, sometimes none and if i am really hurting I would take two. My family doctor of 20 years has no problem giving me a 6 month prescription because he knows me well enough to know i would not abuse drugs and rarely take as much as prescribed. It is not classified as a narcotic but in rare cases produces a narcotic like effect. I personally have never noticed any effect other than pain reduction. I have re-read the Physician's Desk Reference on this drug and it states it is not recommended for patients who have had a previous drug addiction problem or a tendency towards drug addiction. This probably explains why some doctors are reluctant to prescribe it to patients they are not seeing on a regular basis. It is sold under the brand name Tramadol. Max recommed dosage is 400mg day for those under 75. I rarely take more than 100mg if I am having some sort of set back. There are many other reasons as with any drug to know what not to take this drug with so discuss your personal situation with your doctor.

John h on 11/29/01 at 17:04 (065660)

nancy: judy is a sissy because I was at Dr. Z's observing her act in a sissy like manner when she was getting zapped. even texas barb was sissy like and her and judy both jumped all over a bottle of wine the minute their treatment was over.

John h on 11/29/01 at 17:07 (065662)

Nancy S. as you have probably discovered on both Internet Explorer and Netscape you can set your preferences to automatically fill in personal information on documents that require such information like name,address,phone number,etc. Maybe Scott has rigged the board to do that.

nancy s. on 11/29/01 at 18:29 (065669)

yes indeedy, scott has definitely rigged this board. life gets easier and easier!
john, are you trying to make me believe that you had no wine or martini after your zaps? judy and barb were the ONLY ones? i would find that hard to believe, as i'm sure would the whole board if they counted the word 'martini' in all your posts of these past few years.
in third grade i had a mangled toe, and my foot had to be strapped on top of my flattened sneaker in order for me to walk around. paul baird spent three days making sure he stepped right on my mangled toe, sending me into continual spasms of pain. he did it on purpose. in fourth grade he revealed to me that he'd had a crush on me. that was a helluva way to show it. perhaps betty greenwood was in love with you and is pining away for you somewhere. if so, continue to stay away from her. these people are sicko.

john h on 11/30/01 at 09:19 (065709)

Nancy S dear: i think you have hit the nail on the head. Little girls inflict great pain on little boys they love by hitting them with rocks and stabbing them with pencils. When these little girls grow up they continue to show their love to their husbands in a similar but more sophisticated sort of manner.

JudyS on 11/30/01 at 11:03 (065722)

Well TexBarb, if you don't mind, I'm going to let the truth cat out of the bag now......

John, the real reason TexBarb and I were 'sissies' at Dr. Z's was that, as REAL women, it's our primary responsibility to make the men around us feel good about themselves. Seeming to be an emotional sissy is one good way to help a fella feel macho.

There, now you know.

Have you ever given birth? :)

John h on 11/30/01 at 13:23 (065740)

judy: your post sort of points out what i said in my post about little girls growing up to show their love by more 'sophisticated' means than rocks. yes you and barb did make me feel more like a manly man. Thank you both! I want ask dr Z to weigh in on this because he knows better than to pull a tigers tail.

JudyS on 11/30/01 at 14:46 (065751)

On the other hand...........I would never completely rule out rocks.........:)

BarbaraTX on 11/30/01 at 16:20 (065764)

I still prefer rocks and pencils. B.

BarbaraTX on 11/30/01 at 16:26 (065766)

At last, the truth is spoken.

Have you ever given birth in your living room?

Have you ever gone to a party after heelspur surgery?

John - I was driving through Highland Park (Dick Cheney's neighborhood) and thought of you. Dick says 'Hi.' B.

nancy s. on 11/30/01 at 20:06 (065779)

i'm with you, barb -- i still prefer rocks and pencils. in fact, i wish i'd had some in the truck today as my husband and i drove home from breakfast with one of us in a bad mood.
n.

John h on 11/30/01 at 20:35 (065783)

Barb: one of my favorite people in Highland Park just passed on. Mary K! Did you ever see her pink mansion in Highland Park?

BarbaraTX on 12/01/01 at 11:05 (065816)

Yes. It really is pink. My condolences to all the Mary Kay ladies out there. Dallas is MaryKayland, lots of makeup and big hair. I am geting better at the facepaint, but still working on the bigness of my hair. After being here ten years I thought I'd better get with the program. B.