Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Six Weeks of plantar fasciitis pain

Posted by Debbie W. on 11/25/01 at 05:42 (065170)

I am a preschool teacher and a single parent. I have been in extreme pain for the last six week. This condition may have been brought on by a tennis game or because I have a dropped arch or just bad feet. I have lost work due to this condition. I have had two steroid injections in my heel, two kinds of ant-inflammatories ,pain medication and night splints that are too uncomfortable to wear. I have had my foot taped,stretched, iced and am now in a boot cast. I am currently trying MSM, a sulfur product that is suppose to help. I suffer from depression and anxiety and needless to say, this is contributing to my state of mind. I am desperate and am willing to try anything. MY podiatrist recently referred me to a pain management doctor. Is this a good idea. Could surgery help? I can see that you receive alot of mail, but when you have the time, I would truly appreciate a response. Thanks so much. Debbie W

Re: Six Weeks of plantar fasciitis pain

Dr. Zuckeman on 11/25/01 at 07:13 (065171)

hi,
have they ordered a mri to rule out a stress fracture ?

Jennifer D. on 11/27/01 at 10:47 (065397)

Debbie.
I too have plantar fasciitis. I have had it now 5 horrible weeks. My heel finally gave out after years of wearing keds shoes and now living in a home with nothing but wood floors. (and weight gain). I am a mom of 3 kids including a baby who is 7 months old. I cannot walk or even put pressure on my heel without the pain shooting like knife.

I suffer from depression also. And this situation (like yours) isn't helping. I am not wanting to participate in life. The pain is overwhelming this time of year with the holidays. The shopping is what gets me. Trying to Shop and be on your feet at the same time.
Right now i am in a despirate fight to loose weight. Yep right in the middle of the hoidays. I have lost 6 pounds already. I will do anything to get rid of this PAIN!!!! I am so afraid however the damage has been done. And my situation turns into a nightmere like yours. My dr. gave me Motrin 800!!! Ha!!! My heel laughs at that and continutes to hurt.
How are we suppost to work out and LOOSE weight to help the condition when you cannot even apply pressure to the area?
My heel hurts from the minute i wake to the moment i lay down at night. I cannot rest my feet i am a mom!! If i rest the kids are neglected.
I haven't yet gone to the Pediotrist yet. I go on the 18th of December. I am going to purchase an heel support arch anything to help. email me if you want to talk ever.
(email removed)

Re: Debbie and Jennifer

Julie on 11/28/01 at 02:31 (065474)

It would help you both to read, print out, and re-read the Heel Pain Book for information and suggestions on self-treatment. You do need good podiatric care, but there is a great deal you can to to help yourself, and informing yourself is the first step.

Investigate taping, which was a great help to me: it takes over the job of supporting the arch that the injured fascia can't do, and in doing so it rests the fascia, giving it a chance to heal. It also reduces pain. If taping helps you, that indicates that custom orthotics will probably help you too.

Debbie, am I right in surmising that your podiatrist has given up on you after only six weeks? It seems very early to refer you to a PM doctor! What treatments did he offer in those six weeks? Most cases of PF respond to the right combination of conservative treatments, but both patient and pod need to persevere: it isn't a quick process. If I read you correctly, and you've been shunted off, it's time for you to find another pod, one who will work with you until you're better.

Above all, you both need a full evaluation of your feet, and your gait, to determine the CAUSE of your condition so that it can be addressed.

Dr. Zuckeman on 11/25/01 at 07:13 (065171)

hi,
have they ordered a mri to rule out a stress fracture ?

Jennifer D. on 11/27/01 at 10:47 (065397)

Debbie.
I too have plantar fasciitis. I have had it now 5 horrible weeks. My heel finally gave out after years of wearing keds shoes and now living in a home with nothing but wood floors. (and weight gain). I am a mom of 3 kids including a baby who is 7 months old. I cannot walk or even put pressure on my heel without the pain shooting like knife.

I suffer from depression also. And this situation (like yours) isn't helping. I am not wanting to participate in life. The pain is overwhelming this time of year with the holidays. The shopping is what gets me. Trying to Shop and be on your feet at the same time.
Right now i am in a despirate fight to loose weight. Yep right in the middle of the hoidays. I have lost 6 pounds already. I will do anything to get rid of this PAIN!!!! I am so afraid however the damage has been done. And my situation turns into a nightmere like yours. My dr. gave me Motrin 800!!! Ha!!! My heel laughs at that and continutes to hurt.
How are we suppost to work out and LOOSE weight to help the condition when you cannot even apply pressure to the area?
My heel hurts from the minute i wake to the moment i lay down at night. I cannot rest my feet i am a mom!! If i rest the kids are neglected.
I haven't yet gone to the Pediotrist yet. I go on the 18th of December. I am going to purchase an heel support arch anything to help. email me if you want to talk ever.
(email removed)

Re: Debbie and Jennifer

Julie on 11/28/01 at 02:31 (065474)

It would help you both to read, print out, and re-read the Heel Pain Book for information and suggestions on self-treatment. You do need good podiatric care, but there is a great deal you can to to help yourself, and informing yourself is the first step.

Investigate taping, which was a great help to me: it takes over the job of supporting the arch that the injured fascia can't do, and in doing so it rests the fascia, giving it a chance to heal. It also reduces pain. If taping helps you, that indicates that custom orthotics will probably help you too.

Debbie, am I right in surmising that your podiatrist has given up on you after only six weeks? It seems very early to refer you to a PM doctor! What treatments did he offer in those six weeks? Most cases of PF respond to the right combination of conservative treatments, but both patient and pod need to persevere: it isn't a quick process. If I read you correctly, and you've been shunted off, it's time for you to find another pod, one who will work with you until you're better.

Above all, you both need a full evaluation of your feet, and your gait, to determine the CAUSE of your condition so that it can be addressed.