Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What I do in the mornings!

Posted by Carole C on 11/25/01 at 10:25 (065188)

I'm working on a really 'heelspur friendly' way to arrange my mornings (bear with me, I'm new at this! LOL)

Naturally I keep my shoes by my bed, and I keep them unlaced with the laces loose and the tongue pulled up so I can slip into them fast. This gives me time to do some stretches and massaging first, and still get to the bathroom reasonably fast. At 53 years old, this can be important in the mornings (and in the middle of the night too).

Also, I have been preparing my coffee maker (putting in the coffee and water) the night before, and I moved it from the kitchen to the 'bar' between the kitchen and living room, so that I can just switch it on as I pass by in my shoes and nightgown on my way to the sofa, which is only 6 feet from the coffee. This really helps, because walking into the kitchen and standing while I was preparing the coffee really hurt first thing in the morning! Good idea, huh? I think so, anyway.

Once I am on the sofa, I put my left foot up (it's the worst) and watch Good Morning America while I do a very thorough massaging of my calf and foot; then I do the other foot and calf. I do a little more gentle stretching too. I keep my clean socks rolled up in a laundry basket by the sofa, so that I don't have to go anywhere to put on a fresh pair and tie my shoes on tightly.

By this time, the coffee is done and my feet are relaxed enough to walk over and bring a cup back to the sofa, and by the time I drink it, I am feeling more ready for the day. I keep my hairbrush and the outfit I plan to wear by the sofa too, so I can be brushing my hair and dressing while I sit there waking up.

What do you think? I have been moving my daily shower to the time right before bedtime, so that I don't have to deal with it in the mornings either. (I want to get a shower stool so that I don't have to stand in the shower, but haven't got one yet.)

How do you arrange your waking up time, if your feet hurt a lot from PF at that time like mine do?

Carole

Re: What I do in the mornings!

Steve P on 11/25/01 at 10:33 (065190)

Carole --- Sounds good to me! But get that shower stool soon or start taking baths instead; standing barefoot is especially bad & could be setting you back.

Steve

wendyn on 11/25/01 at 10:42 (065191)

Until you get the shower stool - you can try standing on rolled up wash cloths for support in your arches. It actually works pretty well.

Carole C on 11/25/01 at 12:00 (065197)

Hey, great idea!!!!!! I will definitely try this rolled up wash cloth idea. Thanks!

Steve, you are right that I shouldn't be standing in the shower (it hurts!), and I will get the first sturdy and stable shower stool that I can find. I already have a shower massager on a long cord in my shower/tub so I will be all set once I find a shower stool.

Meanwhile, I will try the rolled up wash clothes. Perhaps I can manage to bathe in this smallish tub, but I haven't tried it. Getting up after bathing could be challenging with these tender feet, since I also have severe arthritis in my knees and can't really kneel.

Carole

Janet C on 11/25/01 at 13:21 (065207)

Hi Carole,

I don't want to sound too preachy, because I know coffee drinkers don't like to be told to give up their cup of Jo in the morning... (I know! I was one of them!) ...but, I've had several Drs. tell me the type of diet that can help reduce the pain and inflammation, including that of arthritis. And coffee, chocolate, all make the condition much worse. I'll see if I can locate some information for you on the subject.

I believe that if you stopped drinking coffee, and drank more water, you would definitely notice the difference, and feel much better. I have.

Wishing you all the best ~ Janet

Carole C on 11/25/01 at 13:23 (065208)

Thanks for the good suggestion, Janet.

I did stop drinking coffee for six months last year (because I am on Weight Watchers, and trying to eat more nutritiously). I was still such a bear in the mornings that I started drinking it again, though, two cups every morning out of sympathy for my co-workers.

Guess I could try again. :)

Carole

Janet C on 11/25/01 at 13:33 (065212)

Maybe you could try De-caf, or Herbal Tea? They would be much better for you, and you'd still have something warm to sip on in the morning!
:) Janet

Carole C on 11/25/01 at 13:43 (065215)

I could try that. One of my fellow Weight Watchers suggested mixing De-caf with regular coffee 50:50, and then decreasing the amount of regular and increasing the amount of De-caf as much as I could.

She is one of my co-workers that I was snapping at in the mornings when I was coffee-free, brave soul! LOL

Carole

Re: Knee pain ?

BrianG on 11/25/01 at 14:55 (065223)

Hi Carole,

Just wondering if your taking anything for the arthritis? I had some undiagnosed pain in my knees last year. When my doctor switched me from 800mg Ibupfofen to Vioxx, the pain went away. It could have been a coincidence, but I'm thinking it was the Vioxx. Didn't do anything for my PF though :*( Good luck

BCG

PS I also started taking the supplement MSM, around the same time. I'll be giving it up soon. I'll be watching to see if the knee pain returns.

Carole C on 11/25/01 at 15:28 (065226)

Yes, I was essentially immobile for several years until I finally was able to get to a doctor who prescribed Relafen (which didn't work for me) and eventually Celebrex (which has given me back my life!!!). It works unusually well for me. At last, I was able to do things like grocery shop, even go for a stroll inside the mall for the sheer pleasure of it.

At first just daily life provided me with all the exercise I could handle. After building up my strength to the point that I could go to three or four large stores (WalMart, CompUSA, and the like) on one day without being laid up the next day, I bought an exercycle. I built up gradually to half a mile per day, which isn't much, and that's when I got PF which has really set me back. I quit the exercycle and I'm back to wishing that I could get out more. Oh well!

My knees are still tender and a little swollen, despite Celebrex, and I am not able to kneel on hard surfaces without considerable pain (though I can kneel on carpet, if necessary. Until recently this wasn't a big deal for me, because I could at least walk! However, Wednesday I was able to persuade my doctor to increase my dosage of Celebrex from 200mg to 400 mg/day because of my PF. It might decrease my knee pain and inflammation even more. That would be great!

And I agree, I don't *really* think Celebrex will do much for my PF. I developed PF while in my second year of taking Celebrex, and I certainly have found it to be quite painful despite this medication!

Carole

Re: MSM?

Carole C on 11/25/01 at 15:38 (065227)

I just read your PS (missed it the first time). What is MSM?

Carole

BrianG on 11/25/01 at 20:45 (065252)

MSM is a sulfer based supplement. A lot of people think it helps with regenerating cartilage. You can find it in any health food store, Walmart, CVS, etc. A search engine will give you thousands of hits. Or you can click here, for one individual seller.

http://www.MSM.com

Good luck
Brian

PS I hope you get this PF under control so that you can start exercising again

Re: Thanks! :)

Carole C on 11/25/01 at 21:02 (065255)

john h on 11/26/01 at 11:57 (065298)

is it the caffene or coffee janet?

adam p on 11/26/01 at 17:41 (065328)

Or the sugar?

AP

Re: Sugar? I'll pass, thanks

Carole C on 11/27/01 at 06:43 (065372)

Sugar? Not my cup of tea. (smile)

I don't use refined sugar any more, except for what small amount is hidden in food and escapes my attention. Although Weight Watchers allows plenty of sugar if desired, I have avoided it because for me sugar causes cravings that just aren't there if I cut way back on it.

Carole

Re: sponge baths help in a pinch

Carole C on 11/27/01 at 06:50 (065373)

This morning I really needed a shower, and was having a rough time so it didn't feel like it would be a good idea to be standing even on washcloths. I found that a sponge bath using washcloths while sitting down seemed to help the situation in a pinch, at least somewhat.

Carole

Re: two more reservations about the coffee idea

elliott on 11/27/01 at 08:45 (065381)

1. Keeping the grounds out overnight makes the coffee lose its flavor (sob)

2. Keeping the water out overnight is a real no-no: bacteria and all

John h on 11/27/01 at 17:00 (065432)

elliott: your comment about keeping the coffee water out all night is interesting. i am sure many of us like me make the coffee at night with the water in the maker and just hit the switch or have it come on automatically in the morning. i do not know what temperature the coffee comes to but at what temp does it kill bacteria? i would guess 160 degrees but do not know. many of the commercial coffee makers like in my office always has one container of hot water ready to go so when you poor in a fresh cantainer of water the hot water immediately begins to flow. I know if i show your comments to my wife i am doomed for the rest of my life to pouring fresh water in the pot in the morning. having forged for water in the jungle and desert i am not very particular about what i drink or how it is prepared but my wife is another story on this subject.

Carole C on 11/27/01 at 17:42 (065443)

My ex got the coffee pot with the automatic timer when we divorced, because of exactly these concerns. I didn't want to let the water sit, and he didn't mind, so I bought a new pot without a timer for myself. But I didn't have PF then. (grin)

When the choice is to leave the water out, or skip the coffee, I vote for leaving the water out. Leaving the coffee out really does detract from the flavor, but, oh well.

Carole

Re: the general rule is: if in doubt, don't show the wife :-)

elliott on 11/28/01 at 08:41 (065482)

It is well known that coffee makers do not reach temperatures that would kill bacteria, because such temperatures would also destroy the flavor of the coffee. If it's on for an hour or two, no big deal.

That load-it-up-the-night-before thing is a great marketing pitch, but not a good idea from both a health perspective and a coffee connoisseur perspective. Leaving out room-temperature water overnight is just not such a good idea, certainly not on a regular basis, both due to the (cumulative) health effect and possibly the cumulative coffee maker residue buildup effect.

I did find Carole C's threadstarting post humorous; it could have been called 'What I DON'T do in the morning.'

john h on 11/28/01 at 09:17 (065487)

ok elliott-thanks for messing with my life's morning routine by bringing up this coffee/water thing. at work i have no choice if i want coffee as the machine keeps water in it. maybe i need to start with those sissy lates at starbucks as when i watch them and that water surely looks hot enough to kill anything.

JudyS on 11/28/01 at 10:47 (065491)

Hmmmmm........around here we've been setting up the coffee-maker the night before for twenty years. No problems so far. Except PF. I've never heard of water becoming bacteria-laden from being room-temperture.

Re: What I DON'T do in the morning! :)

Carole C on 11/28/01 at 11:27 (065493)

As much as I can possibly avoid! (giggle)

Carole C on 11/28/01 at 11:30 (065494)

I would think that if you clean the coffee maker often with vinegar like it says in the instructions, then there probably wouldn't be any problems. I don't, though I probably should.

Re: right, but

elliott on 11/28/01 at 11:42 (065495)

maybe you're one of the, say, 85% who are lucky, and so have been lulled into a false sense of security. I mean, if there's an 85% chance nothing will happen to you and a 15% chance you'll die or suffer, well...

Why not try an experiment? Leave a glass of water on the counter overnight and take a careful look at its contents in the morning. Look, I'm not claiming to profess that the risks are high enough to worry about, but one thing's for sure: I'd find your morning coffee's taste very disappointing. :-)

DR Zuckerman on 11/28/01 at 12:52 (065498)

Pf is caused by drinking coffee that has nite old water in it. The water becomes heavy and sinks to the bottom of your heel

Carole C on 11/28/01 at 13:03 (065500)

(laughing hysterically!) That's it! Dr. Zuckerman, you know the cause, so now all we need it a cure. Maybe if we stand on our heads? (giggle)

Carole

Re: LOL!

elliott on 11/28/01 at 13:42 (065507)

Actually, I think it's the coffee grounds, not the water. As proof, I don't leave my coffee grounds out overnight and I don't have PF! :-)

JudyS on 11/28/01 at 18:20 (065539)

Having been a morning coffee drinker for about 20 years, I've tried it every which way from the most costly 'gourmet' brands of coffee to water fresh from the tap to bottled water. It always tastes the same (good!) - unless I'm sitting in Barnes & Noble with an expensive cup of wonderful Starbucks and a good book......
Can't remember ever hearing of anyone getting sick from drinking a cup of coffee that had been auto-brewed. Imagine the lawsuits that could be filed against the manufacturers of automatic coffee brewers - no health hazard warnings on them! Can't remember ever having a doctor tell me to use only fresh water (15 % will DIE or suffer?) or reading a report that recommended the same.

JudyS on 11/28/01 at 18:25 (065540)

Oh gosh Dr. Z.....what's a poor girl to do? Choose coffee or choose PF? Please.....somebody help me!

Tammie on 11/28/01 at 18:29 (065542)

Judy I vote for coffee myself!

JudyS on 11/28/01 at 18:34 (065544)

OK Tammy, we'll 'hobble' in to old age together! Life can't get any better than doing so with such a sweetie as yourself.

Tammie on 11/28/01 at 18:45 (065549)

Ok Judy sounds fun but only one thing, I dont mind hobbling but I do not want a wheel chair as I push those every day and those that are in them beggggg me to get them out lol ! I will hobble for as long as thease feet will allow me to ! And would love your company!

john h on 11/29/01 at 10:59 (065616)

Consumers Report frequently does test on water and how water taste. A few years ago the best tasting water as reported by them was NYC tap water. They also included the major bottled water in their test. Recent water test I have read about indicated many of the bottled waters contain more unwanted substances than tap water (like arsenic). You can get a report from your city water department on the contents of your water for free. It is interesting to read. Having lived all over the U.S. I have found their is a definite difference in the taste of water in many locations. In Florida and Lousiana you can find tap water that has a very strong taste of sulphur. Elliot what are your thouhts on the millions of gallons of bottled water that many companies and homes buy on a regular basis. One bottle in our office probably last at least 2 weeks? I was ready to buy bottled water for our home until in read the Consumer Report article. Certainly not all bottled water is worse than tap water but some are and some actually come right out of city tap water. As most of you know water can go 'flat' meaning it loses the air out of it and the taste in noticably different. This happens when you let it sit to long. When I would carry a canteen of water for several days it would most certainly go flat and the taste deterioate. We all sort of take water for granted but from the source to your faucet is a serious process.

Steve P on 11/25/01 at 10:33 (065190)

Carole --- Sounds good to me! But get that shower stool soon or start taking baths instead; standing barefoot is especially bad & could be setting you back.

Steve

wendyn on 11/25/01 at 10:42 (065191)

Until you get the shower stool - you can try standing on rolled up wash cloths for support in your arches. It actually works pretty well.

Carole C on 11/25/01 at 12:00 (065197)

Hey, great idea!!!!!! I will definitely try this rolled up wash cloth idea. Thanks!

Steve, you are right that I shouldn't be standing in the shower (it hurts!), and I will get the first sturdy and stable shower stool that I can find. I already have a shower massager on a long cord in my shower/tub so I will be all set once I find a shower stool.

Meanwhile, I will try the rolled up wash clothes. Perhaps I can manage to bathe in this smallish tub, but I haven't tried it. Getting up after bathing could be challenging with these tender feet, since I also have severe arthritis in my knees and can't really kneel.

Carole

Janet C on 11/25/01 at 13:21 (065207)

Hi Carole,

I don't want to sound too preachy, because I know coffee drinkers don't like to be told to give up their cup of Jo in the morning... (I know! I was one of them!) ...but, I've had several Drs. tell me the type of diet that can help reduce the pain and inflammation, including that of arthritis. And coffee, chocolate, all make the condition much worse. I'll see if I can locate some information for you on the subject.

I believe that if you stopped drinking coffee, and drank more water, you would definitely notice the difference, and feel much better. I have.

Wishing you all the best ~ Janet

Carole C on 11/25/01 at 13:23 (065208)

Thanks for the good suggestion, Janet.

I did stop drinking coffee for six months last year (because I am on Weight Watchers, and trying to eat more nutritiously). I was still such a bear in the mornings that I started drinking it again, though, two cups every morning out of sympathy for my co-workers.

Guess I could try again. :)

Carole

Janet C on 11/25/01 at 13:33 (065212)

Maybe you could try De-caf, or Herbal Tea? They would be much better for you, and you'd still have something warm to sip on in the morning!
:) Janet

Carole C on 11/25/01 at 13:43 (065215)

I could try that. One of my fellow Weight Watchers suggested mixing De-caf with regular coffee 50:50, and then decreasing the amount of regular and increasing the amount of De-caf as much as I could.

She is one of my co-workers that I was snapping at in the mornings when I was coffee-free, brave soul! LOL

Carole

BrianG on 11/25/01 at 14:55 (065223)

Hi Carole,

Just wondering if your taking anything for the arthritis? I had some undiagnosed pain in my knees last year. When my doctor switched me from 800mg Ibupfofen to Vioxx, the pain went away. It could have been a coincidence, but I'm thinking it was the Vioxx. Didn't do anything for my PF though :*( Good luck

BCG

PS I also started taking the supplement MSM, around the same time. I'll be giving it up soon. I'll be watching to see if the knee pain returns.

Carole C on 11/25/01 at 15:28 (065226)

Yes, I was essentially immobile for several years until I finally was able to get to a doctor who prescribed Relafen (which didn't work for me) and eventually Celebrex (which has given me back my life!!!). It works unusually well for me. At last, I was able to do things like grocery shop, even go for a stroll inside the mall for the sheer pleasure of it.

At first just daily life provided me with all the exercise I could handle. After building up my strength to the point that I could go to three or four large stores (WalMart, CompUSA, and the like) on one day without being laid up the next day, I bought an exercycle. I built up gradually to half a mile per day, which isn't much, and that's when I got PF which has really set me back. I quit the exercycle and I'm back to wishing that I could get out more. Oh well!

My knees are still tender and a little swollen, despite Celebrex, and I am not able to kneel on hard surfaces without considerable pain (though I can kneel on carpet, if necessary. Until recently this wasn't a big deal for me, because I could at least walk! However, Wednesday I was able to persuade my doctor to increase my dosage of Celebrex from 200mg to 400 mg/day because of my PF. It might decrease my knee pain and inflammation even more. That would be great!

And I agree, I don't *really* think Celebrex will do much for my PF. I developed PF while in my second year of taking Celebrex, and I certainly have found it to be quite painful despite this medication!

Carole

Carole C on 11/25/01 at 15:38 (065227)

I just read your PS (missed it the first time). What is MSM?

Carole

BrianG on 11/25/01 at 20:45 (065252)

MSM is a sulfer based supplement. A lot of people think it helps with regenerating cartilage. You can find it in any health food store, Walmart, CVS, etc. A search engine will give you thousands of hits. Or you can click here, for one individual seller.

http://www.MSM.com

Good luck
Brian

PS I hope you get this PF under control so that you can start exercising again

Re: Thanks! :)

Carole C on 11/25/01 at 21:02 (065255)

john h on 11/26/01 at 11:57 (065298)

is it the caffene or coffee janet?

adam p on 11/26/01 at 17:41 (065328)

Or the sugar?

AP

Re: Sugar? I'll pass, thanks

Carole C on 11/27/01 at 06:43 (065372)

Sugar? Not my cup of tea. (smile)

I don't use refined sugar any more, except for what small amount is hidden in food and escapes my attention. Although Weight Watchers allows plenty of sugar if desired, I have avoided it because for me sugar causes cravings that just aren't there if I cut way back on it.

Carole

Re: sponge baths help in a pinch

Carole C on 11/27/01 at 06:50 (065373)

This morning I really needed a shower, and was having a rough time so it didn't feel like it would be a good idea to be standing even on washcloths. I found that a sponge bath using washcloths while sitting down seemed to help the situation in a pinch, at least somewhat.

Carole

elliott on 11/27/01 at 08:45 (065381)

1. Keeping the grounds out overnight makes the coffee lose its flavor (sob)

2. Keeping the water out overnight is a real no-no: bacteria and all

John h on 11/27/01 at 17:00 (065432)

elliott: your comment about keeping the coffee water out all night is interesting. i am sure many of us like me make the coffee at night with the water in the maker and just hit the switch or have it come on automatically in the morning. i do not know what temperature the coffee comes to but at what temp does it kill bacteria? i would guess 160 degrees but do not know. many of the commercial coffee makers like in my office always has one container of hot water ready to go so when you poor in a fresh cantainer of water the hot water immediately begins to flow. I know if i show your comments to my wife i am doomed for the rest of my life to pouring fresh water in the pot in the morning. having forged for water in the jungle and desert i am not very particular about what i drink or how it is prepared but my wife is another story on this subject.

Carole C on 11/27/01 at 17:42 (065443)

My ex got the coffee pot with the automatic timer when we divorced, because of exactly these concerns. I didn't want to let the water sit, and he didn't mind, so I bought a new pot without a timer for myself. But I didn't have PF then. (grin)

When the choice is to leave the water out, or skip the coffee, I vote for leaving the water out. Leaving the coffee out really does detract from the flavor, but, oh well.

Carole

elliott on 11/28/01 at 08:41 (065482)

It is well known that coffee makers do not reach temperatures that would kill bacteria, because such temperatures would also destroy the flavor of the coffee. If it's on for an hour or two, no big deal.

That load-it-up-the-night-before thing is a great marketing pitch, but not a good idea from both a health perspective and a coffee connoisseur perspective. Leaving out room-temperature water overnight is just not such a good idea, certainly not on a regular basis, both due to the (cumulative) health effect and possibly the cumulative coffee maker residue buildup effect.

I did find Carole C's threadstarting post humorous; it could have been called 'What I DON'T do in the morning.'

john h on 11/28/01 at 09:17 (065487)

ok elliott-thanks for messing with my life's morning routine by bringing up this coffee/water thing. at work i have no choice if i want coffee as the machine keeps water in it. maybe i need to start with those sissy lates at starbucks as when i watch them and that water surely looks hot enough to kill anything.

JudyS on 11/28/01 at 10:47 (065491)

Hmmmmm........around here we've been setting up the coffee-maker the night before for twenty years. No problems so far. Except PF. I've never heard of water becoming bacteria-laden from being room-temperture.

Re: What I DON'T do in the morning! :)

Carole C on 11/28/01 at 11:27 (065493)

As much as I can possibly avoid! (giggle)

Carole C on 11/28/01 at 11:30 (065494)

I would think that if you clean the coffee maker often with vinegar like it says in the instructions, then there probably wouldn't be any problems. I don't, though I probably should.

elliott on 11/28/01 at 11:42 (065495)

maybe you're one of the, say, 85% who are lucky, and so have been lulled into a false sense of security. I mean, if there's an 85% chance nothing will happen to you and a 15% chance you'll die or suffer, well...

Why not try an experiment? Leave a glass of water on the counter overnight and take a careful look at its contents in the morning. Look, I'm not claiming to profess that the risks are high enough to worry about, but one thing's for sure: I'd find your morning coffee's taste very disappointing. :-)

DR Zuckerman on 11/28/01 at 12:52 (065498)

Pf is caused by drinking coffee that has nite old water in it. The water becomes heavy and sinks to the bottom of your heel

Carole C on 11/28/01 at 13:03 (065500)

(laughing hysterically!) That's it! Dr. Zuckerman, you know the cause, so now all we need it a cure. Maybe if we stand on our heads? (giggle)

Carole

Re: LOL!

elliott on 11/28/01 at 13:42 (065507)

Actually, I think it's the coffee grounds, not the water. As proof, I don't leave my coffee grounds out overnight and I don't have PF! :-)

JudyS on 11/28/01 at 18:20 (065539)

Having been a morning coffee drinker for about 20 years, I've tried it every which way from the most costly 'gourmet' brands of coffee to water fresh from the tap to bottled water. It always tastes the same (good!) - unless I'm sitting in Barnes & Noble with an expensive cup of wonderful Starbucks and a good book......
Can't remember ever hearing of anyone getting sick from drinking a cup of coffee that had been auto-brewed. Imagine the lawsuits that could be filed against the manufacturers of automatic coffee brewers - no health hazard warnings on them! Can't remember ever having a doctor tell me to use only fresh water (15 % will DIE or suffer?) or reading a report that recommended the same.

JudyS on 11/28/01 at 18:25 (065540)

Oh gosh Dr. Z.....what's a poor girl to do? Choose coffee or choose PF? Please.....somebody help me!

Tammie on 11/28/01 at 18:29 (065542)

Judy I vote for coffee myself!

JudyS on 11/28/01 at 18:34 (065544)

OK Tammy, we'll 'hobble' in to old age together! Life can't get any better than doing so with such a sweetie as yourself.

Tammie on 11/28/01 at 18:45 (065549)

Ok Judy sounds fun but only one thing, I dont mind hobbling but I do not want a wheel chair as I push those every day and those that are in them beggggg me to get them out lol ! I will hobble for as long as thease feet will allow me to ! And would love your company!

john h on 11/29/01 at 10:59 (065616)

Consumers Report frequently does test on water and how water taste. A few years ago the best tasting water as reported by them was NYC tap water. They also included the major bottled water in their test. Recent water test I have read about indicated many of the bottled waters contain more unwanted substances than tap water (like arsenic). You can get a report from your city water department on the contents of your water for free. It is interesting to read. Having lived all over the U.S. I have found their is a definite difference in the taste of water in many locations. In Florida and Lousiana you can find tap water that has a very strong taste of sulphur. Elliot what are your thouhts on the millions of gallons of bottled water that many companies and homes buy on a regular basis. One bottle in our office probably last at least 2 weeks? I was ready to buy bottled water for our home until in read the Consumer Report article. Certainly not all bottled water is worse than tap water but some are and some actually come right out of city tap water. As most of you know water can go 'flat' meaning it loses the air out of it and the taste in noticably different. This happens when you let it sit to long. When I would carry a canteen of water for several days it would most certainly go flat and the taste deterioate. We all sort of take water for granted but from the source to your faucet is a serious process.