Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Who has developed lateral (outer) foot or ankle pain after longterm PF?

Posted by Beverly on 11/25/01 at 18:11 (065236)

I'm a month into my relaspe... not doing any better... seeing orthopedic doc this week and also orthodist. What is getting me down is that after over a year of PF and PTT and AT and getting those things somewhat calmed down to a manageable level, I now have lateral pain on both the feet and ankles. Plus, the AT is flaired up.

So, has anyone else gotten this and what did you do about it? I'm hoping the orthodist can tweak my orthodics in a helpful way. I think I may be favoring the outside of my feet without realizing it. Occassionally, I catch myself doing that.

This is the first time in about a year that I haven't even been up to carrying in my own groceries without paying for it for days later.
Thanks,
Beverly

Re: Who has developed lateral (outer) foot or ankle pain after longterm PF?

BrianJ on 11/25/01 at 22:08 (065266)

Hi Beverly --

Yes, I've had significant foot and ankle pain on the lateral sides. I've talked to a number of other PF sufferers who have also had it. For me, it seemed like mainly tendinitis of the peroneal tendons.

I believe the causes are (1) favoring the medial sides of your feet (i.e., walking on the lateral edges of your feet) and/or (2)wearing orthotics with an arch support which is too aggressive and throws your weight out on the lateral edges of your feet.

I suggest you consider asking your pod to increase the posting on the lateral sides of your orthotics, and add forefoot posting if you don't already have it. Also, frequent icing of the peroneal tendon areas seems to help, as it does with most soft-tissue inflammation issues.

Hope you feel better soon.

Carole C on 11/25/01 at 23:54 (065272)

I have PF and heelspurs, and I have pain along the outside edge of my heel and foot on both feet (but not my ankles). However, I have not had PF for very long (just since Sept. 22nd).

I am very new to all of this and I don't know what is causing the sides of my foot to hurt, although I don't have my orthotics yet so it's not that. My instincts tell me that maybe my foot is swelling slightly due to the damage of PF, and that this is causing problems (maybe circulatory problems?) that lead to pain. But then again, maybe all that is in my imagination. I haven't a clue! :)

Mine pain in the sides of my feet seems to respond at least somewhat to ice and gentle massage with hand lotion and keeping my feet elevated.

Carole

john h on 11/26/01 at 08:40 (065284)

Beverly: I have had frequent set backs over the years and they are especially depressing when you think you almost have this thing beat. Sometimes I can clearly identify what caused a setback and at other times there is no apparent reason. I do find some comfort in knowing that i usually do come back to a manageable state of being whereas in my early years of this disease I thought each episode was forever.

Beverly on 11/26/01 at 11:48 (065297)

Thanks, guys, for the feedback. Yes, these setbacks are distressing, but as John said, I'm trying to take comfort in past progress that I enjoyed.

I do think I may be favoring the lateral side. I catch myself rolling out when standing for extended periods such as doing dishes. Will see what ideas doc has for my orthodicc this week.
Thanks,
Beverly

Carole C on 11/26/01 at 12:07 (065301)

If you can stand and do dishes, you are making great progress! Hang in there - - you are doing wonderfully even though maybe it doesn't seem like it after all this time. Good luck and I hope your Doctor has some good ideas.

Carole

Jackie S on 11/26/01 at 20:16 (065346)

Yup, I've not only developed pain to the lateral side of my foot, but swelling to the area immediately below my little toe. Looks like a bunion. (Yuck!) Anyway, sometimes this is even more painful than the pf especially when I'm on my feet for a long time (gotta support myself, and I'm a nurse, darnit). Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions.....

This site has been so helpful. Thanks to Scott and everyone.

Jackie
(long time lurker)

BGCPed on 11/26/01 at 21:57 (065358)

In some cases of pf you will walk on lateral aspect of foot. This is taking the tension off or reducing traction pull on fascia. The problem is it can irritate the peroneal tendon. It also can cause pain along lateral border. The 5th ray and lateral border of foot are not very flexible and when you start bearing more wt on that region it can get very painful.

If you dont have good shoes and an orthotic get both. If you have an orthotic and sturdy shoe and it has become a problem since you got them then they may be too corrected. Also need to be careful with the posting in forefoot. If you have a plantarflexed 1st met head and it is posted in varus ( i see this several times per week)it can cause those symptoms.

Sometimes the device is too hard or built up around the base of the 5th met (styloid process) that is the bump on the outside of the foot a few inch behind the little toe IT IS VERY SENSITIVE and will not tolerate much pressure on it

BrianJ on 11/25/01 at 22:08 (065266)

Hi Beverly --

Yes, I've had significant foot and ankle pain on the lateral sides. I've talked to a number of other PF sufferers who have also had it. For me, it seemed like mainly tendinitis of the peroneal tendons.

I believe the causes are (1) favoring the medial sides of your feet (i.e., walking on the lateral edges of your feet) and/or (2)wearing orthotics with an arch support which is too aggressive and throws your weight out on the lateral edges of your feet.

I suggest you consider asking your pod to increase the posting on the lateral sides of your orthotics, and add forefoot posting if you don't already have it. Also, frequent icing of the peroneal tendon areas seems to help, as it does with most soft-tissue inflammation issues.

Hope you feel better soon.

Carole C on 11/25/01 at 23:54 (065272)

I have PF and heelspurs, and I have pain along the outside edge of my heel and foot on both feet (but not my ankles). However, I have not had PF for very long (just since Sept. 22nd).

I am very new to all of this and I don't know what is causing the sides of my foot to hurt, although I don't have my orthotics yet so it's not that. My instincts tell me that maybe my foot is swelling slightly due to the damage of PF, and that this is causing problems (maybe circulatory problems?) that lead to pain. But then again, maybe all that is in my imagination. I haven't a clue! :)

Mine pain in the sides of my feet seems to respond at least somewhat to ice and gentle massage with hand lotion and keeping my feet elevated.

Carole

john h on 11/26/01 at 08:40 (065284)

Beverly: I have had frequent set backs over the years and they are especially depressing when you think you almost have this thing beat. Sometimes I can clearly identify what caused a setback and at other times there is no apparent reason. I do find some comfort in knowing that i usually do come back to a manageable state of being whereas in my early years of this disease I thought each episode was forever.

Beverly on 11/26/01 at 11:48 (065297)

Thanks, guys, for the feedback. Yes, these setbacks are distressing, but as John said, I'm trying to take comfort in past progress that I enjoyed.

I do think I may be favoring the lateral side. I catch myself rolling out when standing for extended periods such as doing dishes. Will see what ideas doc has for my orthodicc this week.
Thanks,
Beverly

Carole C on 11/26/01 at 12:07 (065301)

If you can stand and do dishes, you are making great progress! Hang in there - - you are doing wonderfully even though maybe it doesn't seem like it after all this time. Good luck and I hope your Doctor has some good ideas.

Carole

Jackie S on 11/26/01 at 20:16 (065346)

Yup, I've not only developed pain to the lateral side of my foot, but swelling to the area immediately below my little toe. Looks like a bunion. (Yuck!) Anyway, sometimes this is even more painful than the pf especially when I'm on my feet for a long time (gotta support myself, and I'm a nurse, darnit). Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions.....

This site has been so helpful. Thanks to Scott and everyone.

Jackie
(long time lurker)

BGCPed on 11/26/01 at 21:57 (065358)

In some cases of pf you will walk on lateral aspect of foot. This is taking the tension off or reducing traction pull on fascia. The problem is it can irritate the peroneal tendon. It also can cause pain along lateral border. The 5th ray and lateral border of foot are not very flexible and when you start bearing more wt on that region it can get very painful.

If you dont have good shoes and an orthotic get both. If you have an orthotic and sturdy shoe and it has become a problem since you got them then they may be too corrected. Also need to be careful with the posting in forefoot. If you have a plantarflexed 1st met head and it is posted in varus ( i see this several times per week)it can cause those symptoms.

Sometimes the device is too hard or built up around the base of the 5th met (styloid process) that is the bump on the outside of the foot a few inch behind the little toe IT IS VERY SENSITIVE and will not tolerate much pressure on it