Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is pain relief good?

Posted by Rebecca H. on 11/25/01 at 20:11 (065246)

Okay, I know this probably sounds weird but if you take motrin or celebrex or whatever helps you not hurt won't it make you feel so much better that you tend to overdo things and maybe hurt your feet worse? I feel like that may have been happening to me. (Taking 4 motrin every 8 hours made me have less pain but I think it has made the PF worse cause it kept me on them for many weeks.) Now I'm not taking them and walking more slowly and softly. But I'm grouchier too.

Re: Is pain relief good?

Nini P on 11/25/01 at 20:28 (065249)

Hi Rebecca, I also posted question about meds. I wondered how long you can take meds and if it's not true you can do more damage. When I went the steriod route I felt great and then more painful when they were gone.I've been on meds for 6 weeks and don't know if I should call and request more or leave it alone. I'm waiting for orthotics for my shoes, praying that will help. Good luck to you!

Re: I'm not a doctor, but...

Carole C on 11/25/01 at 21:19 (065257)

I'm not a doctor, but I've been on Celebrex for a year and a half for osteoarthritis of my knees. It reduces swelling and inflammation for me very markedly... I would guess that my knees were half their previous diameter a couple of weeks after beginning it. Just cutting back on the swelling cut back on my pain a lot, for mechanical reasons; there was more room in there! LOL

Now that I've been on Celebrex quite a while, it still helps with the pain; I always notice if I forget to take it. I still feel pain from PF or from arthritis, either one, although it is far less pain. Sometimes the Celebrex goes right to my pain and makes it feel more warm and pleasant than painful, but i know it's still there (at least I think I do! This medication works really well for me). It would not be smart to push myself until I can no longer walk or be on my feet due to pain. (It probably wouldn't be smart to do that in any case). I don't know yet if I would be more likely to overdo, or not, but I will try to be cautious in resuming activities after I heal.

That's just a patient's point of view, and I am relatively inexperienced with PF although Celebrex is very effective for me overall. Hope this helps in some way, and I hope a doctor responds too.

Carole

Carole C on 11/25/01 at 21:22 (065258)

As far as how long you can be on meds, well, I don't know about how long they are needed for PF but I know I have been on Celebrex for 18 months with no side effects. Every 3 months I have to have blood work done so that the doctor can find out if it is affecting my liver, kidneys, and/or whatever. I am not a doctor or medical professional. Hope this helps!

Carole

John h on 11/25/01 at 21:53 (065262)

It would be nice if we never had to take meds but the facts are that there are 10's of millions who have to take meds for a lifetime with problems such as arthritis,diabetes,some forms of cancer, and the list goes on. If meds can keep you pain free and pose less risk than the pain caused by your suffering then discuss this with your doctor.

John h on 11/25/01 at 22:01 (065264)

Carol: you just described why celebrex is one of the largest selling medications of all time. It sort of beats taking 8-12 aspirin a day for your arthritis.

wendyn on 11/25/01 at 22:42 (065267)

My mom has been on Vioxx for almost 2 years now. She has had two back surgeries and is a mess without the Vioxx. I wish she didn't have to take it, but for her - it appears to be a life saver. As long as she doesn't develope complications from it, I think the doctors intend to leave her on.

John h on 11/25/01 at 23:00 (065268)

There are millions who have been on vioxx and celebrex since they first hit the market wendy and by far and away very few suffer any serious side effects. I have read some of the literature and studies on both.

Carole C on 11/25/01 at 23:36 (065269)

John, Celebrex has been especially great for me because I couldn't take aspirin, or motrin, or other over-the-counter medications for my arthritis for very long before I'd start getting stomach problems (so I wasn't taking them at all). Not so with Celebrex.

This medication has essentially saved my life. My doctor is as thrilled as I am about it. I should caution readers that most people do NOT have as good a response to Celebrex as I have had; my mother felt no improvement in her arthritis at all from it, for example. I am very fortunate. Different people seem to respond very differently to arthritis meds.

Before Celebrex I had given up any hope of mobility, but it made so much difference for my arthritis that my hope was renewed and that is why I was able to lose 78 pounds (so far), and this has helped my arthritis also. It is pretty aggravating to lose some of that precious mobility again due to PF, but I am determined to do what I can to heal fast and get back to participating in my own life!!!

Carole

Re: let me clarify

Rebecca H. on 11/25/01 at 23:40 (065270)

Let me clarify: I am very thankful for pain relief in general. I have taken lots of motrin and am so glad that there are medications like celebrex out there for people who are suffering from many different things. I was just wondering in the case of Plantar Fasciitis if taking pain relievers actually makes me and maybe other people keep doing more damage to their feet by continuing to standing, walking, shopping...etc. when they should be sitting resting their feet and letting them heal.

Julie on 11/26/01 at 03:46 (065277)

Rebecca, I agree with you that pain relievers can give a false sense of security and lead to the very over-activity that people with PF need to avoid. When I had PF, I avoided painkillers and NSAIDS for this reason, because I knew I'd let them delude me into doing too much. However, I think that as long you're aware of this, and don't let yourself be deluded, deluded, you can benefit from the relief of the medication and still rest!

John h on 11/26/01 at 07:12 (065278)

Carol: you immediately go on my list of heroes for losing 78 lbs! That had to take a lot of will power. You are right of course that celebrex does not help all patients with arthritis. My wife Mary has arthritis in her hands and it did not help her. She swims several days a week and take fish oil, vitimin E, extra D and C and seems to have done very well for the past 4 years. Her reumhotoligist is really big on fish oil.

John h on 11/26/01 at 07:16 (065280)

I never found any medications that would touch my PF. If i had I would probably have been on them. Unrelenting pain can do at least as much damage or perhaps more both physically and psychologically than meds in many cases.

Rebecca H on 11/26/01 at 09:39 (065286)

John,

Sounds like you have quite a case of PF. I'm sorry if my comments sounded insensitive to those in more pain than me.

I would like to hear your PF history and anyone else who cares to share theirs. Maybe it would help me keep my own in perspective.

Carole C on 11/26/01 at 10:16 (065288)

I've noticed that Celebrex seems to do more for my arthritis pain than for my PF, John. About a week ago I didn't take it for a day, and ow! My knees were hurting more than my PF. Also, since I've increased from 200mg to 400 mg what I've noticed most is my knees hurting less. Celebrex isn't just a pain deadener per se, but a Cox-2 inhibitor, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Carole

Carole C on 11/26/01 at 10:25 (065289)

Thanks, John. I'm working on it. :) I have less than 100 more to lose in order to attain the ideal weight for my height. I am doing it with Weight Watchers which is slow, but it isn't very severe so it is not too hard to just keep at it.

Fish oil, huh? I'll ask my rheumatologist about that the next time I see him. Meanwhile it wouldn't hurt my weight loss regimen at all to eat more fish like salmon, which I think would provide me with some natural fish oil.

Carole

Tammie on 11/26/01 at 11:07 (065292)

At one point I would have disagreed with any type of medication to dull the pain. At this point with two surgeries and still a great deal of pain I have to agree with your statement! I am now at the point of looking for help with both the physical and the emotional pain that seems to go with this long term afliction. I am not sure at this point if it ever really does get better for good, I am feeling it is a life time battle and from what my Dr. has told me it can be if I don't change some things it will only get much worse not better.

I never expected this to change my whole life, not forever that is. So yes I would have to agree with you John on the damage, being more then the physical side a combination that certainly can leave you on the bottom side of life!

john h on 11/26/01 at 12:07 (065300)

baked salamon is a regular at our home. i have read many reports on fish oil as being good for arthritis. i will post the type most doctors recommend as there are various types out there.

Jane on 11/26/01 at 12:57 (065303)

I take 3 advil about 3 to 4 times a day....doesn't really do much for the pain....but the inflamation does go down....(I guess)..... I have asked the doc for tylenol with codeine....that helps but I take it at nite since it's supposed to make you drowsy....his main concern was that I may overdo it if I have no pain on this tylenol....so I guess (I know) you can over do it without pain and then suffer for the next THREE days...with the 3rd day being the height of the pain....OUCH!!! I tend to rest for two days...feel kinda sorta good LOL and then overdo it the next day and pay for it the next 2.

wendyn on 11/26/01 at 21:27 (065351)

Jene - if you're having to take that many Advil - you should ask your doctor about Celebrex or Vioxx - they may be a little safer for your stomach long term. They are available by prescription only.

The problem with the tylenol/codiene is that it is only a pain killer - not an anti-inflammatory.

Re: yes, generally

elliott on 11/27/01 at 08:38 (065379)

Aside, obviously, from relieving the pain itself, two other important reasons I believe not mentioned in this thread yet are:

1. It can stop you from deleteriously altering your gait due to the pain, thereby preventing related pain from developing

2. It can stop a pain spiral, which, for reasons sometimes unknown (e.g. whether it's actual healing, improved attitude which promotes healing, etc.) often leads to permanent improvement.

If you're getting pain relief with the meds and don't have or foresee any severe side effects, my feeling is it definitely pays to take the mat least short term. Now that you had a minor setback, you have a better handle on how much it takes to overdo it and will avoid that. Unless, of course, you're an addicted athlete who just can't help herself. :-)

Kathy G on 11/27/01 at 08:50 (065382)

Rebecca,

I second the opinion that you should see your doctor about going on either Viox or Celebrex. The long-term effects on your stomach from the Motrin are much more threatening. Most people see some relief from these drugs and long-term use doesn't seem to be a problem. Personally, the Viox helped me with the neuroma pain and other aches and pains I had than it helped me with the PF pain, but everyone is different. Certainly it would be worthwhile trying, for at least a month.

As to whether painkillers will make you overdo it - I have yet to find a painkiller that masked the pain that well! For me, pain is much worse as the day goes on. My PF isn't that debilitating in the AM - I am lucky. I take a Darvocet or Phrenelin at night if the pain is terrible or sometimes late in the afternoon when I have to call it quits and sit down. I had prescriptions to these drugs because of migraines and sinus headaches and the doctor said to use them for the PF when necessary. I try to get by on just the Viox during the day because I hate to give up my ability to drive and I can't drive on the other drugs. I've experimented by adding Tylenol or enteric-coated aspirin but they don't seem to help much.

One thing that is so frustrating about this condition is that it's not something you can 'work through'. I mean, you can't walk through the pain - exercise, etc. like you can with some conditions. In the past, if my back was acting up, I could still go about my regular activities and even exercise without doing further damage to my back, as long as I didn't mind putting up with the discomfort. With PF, if you ignore the pain, you'll just make the condition much worse. That is one of the hardest things to accept and after 7 months of PF, I'm still having trouble remembering it. I asked my doctor if I could take a Darvocet and then walk on the treadmill, since it would dull the pain, but his answer was a loud resounding 'NO', after which he told me I was smarter than that! Well, I knew what he'd say, but I figured it was worth a try!

So,after all that, I guess what I'm saying is: Take the pain medication if it will lessen the pain but don't plan on running a marathon or going dancing because the pain lessens! As much as it kills you, you'll still have to take it as easy as possible.

Re: Yes, it is !!!

BrianG on 11/27/01 at 15:12 (065422)

As anyone who knows my postings, I definatly believe in pain relief through medication. Without it, I'd be close to being bedridden, and quite possibly suicidal. With the proper pain meds I can at least get some things done every day. Until recently, I was able to work. Without the meds, I would have had to stop working a couple years ago. If I had a sit down type of job, I may still be working today. I thank God I can still get out to food shop, exercise a little, and visit family. Without the meds, none of this would be possible.

As much as I believe in the meds, I look forward to healing and then slowly tapering off them. If getting healed is not an option, then I have no problem taking my pain meds for the rest of my life. They have already extended what I can physically accomplish by quite a bit. I pray that eveyone who needs pain meds, is able to find a compassionate doctor to help with their pain control. Good luck

BCG

PS As others have already mentioned, no marathons. Keep it simple

John h on 11/27/01 at 17:13 (065440)

My gut feeling Rebecca and it is not based on science is that you cannot get enough relief from medication to allow you to do farther damage to your feet unless it is a strong narcotic. I have never found anything that would touch PF very much.

Nini P on 11/25/01 at 20:28 (065249)

Hi Rebecca, I also posted question about meds. I wondered how long you can take meds and if it's not true you can do more damage. When I went the steriod route I felt great and then more painful when they were gone.I've been on meds for 6 weeks and don't know if I should call and request more or leave it alone. I'm waiting for orthotics for my shoes, praying that will help. Good luck to you!

Carole C on 11/25/01 at 21:19 (065257)

I'm not a doctor, but I've been on Celebrex for a year and a half for osteoarthritis of my knees. It reduces swelling and inflammation for me very markedly... I would guess that my knees were half their previous diameter a couple of weeks after beginning it. Just cutting back on the swelling cut back on my pain a lot, for mechanical reasons; there was more room in there! LOL

Now that I've been on Celebrex quite a while, it still helps with the pain; I always notice if I forget to take it. I still feel pain from PF or from arthritis, either one, although it is far less pain. Sometimes the Celebrex goes right to my pain and makes it feel more warm and pleasant than painful, but i know it's still there (at least I think I do! This medication works really well for me). It would not be smart to push myself until I can no longer walk or be on my feet due to pain. (It probably wouldn't be smart to do that in any case). I don't know yet if I would be more likely to overdo, or not, but I will try to be cautious in resuming activities after I heal.

That's just a patient's point of view, and I am relatively inexperienced with PF although Celebrex is very effective for me overall. Hope this helps in some way, and I hope a doctor responds too.

Carole

Carole C on 11/25/01 at 21:22 (065258)

As far as how long you can be on meds, well, I don't know about how long they are needed for PF but I know I have been on Celebrex for 18 months with no side effects. Every 3 months I have to have blood work done so that the doctor can find out if it is affecting my liver, kidneys, and/or whatever. I am not a doctor or medical professional. Hope this helps!

Carole

John h on 11/25/01 at 21:53 (065262)

It would be nice if we never had to take meds but the facts are that there are 10's of millions who have to take meds for a lifetime with problems such as arthritis,diabetes,some forms of cancer, and the list goes on. If meds can keep you pain free and pose less risk than the pain caused by your suffering then discuss this with your doctor.

John h on 11/25/01 at 22:01 (065264)

Carol: you just described why celebrex is one of the largest selling medications of all time. It sort of beats taking 8-12 aspirin a day for your arthritis.

wendyn on 11/25/01 at 22:42 (065267)

My mom has been on Vioxx for almost 2 years now. She has had two back surgeries and is a mess without the Vioxx. I wish she didn't have to take it, but for her - it appears to be a life saver. As long as she doesn't develope complications from it, I think the doctors intend to leave her on.

John h on 11/25/01 at 23:00 (065268)

There are millions who have been on vioxx and celebrex since they first hit the market wendy and by far and away very few suffer any serious side effects. I have read some of the literature and studies on both.

Carole C on 11/25/01 at 23:36 (065269)

John, Celebrex has been especially great for me because I couldn't take aspirin, or motrin, or other over-the-counter medications for my arthritis for very long before I'd start getting stomach problems (so I wasn't taking them at all). Not so with Celebrex.

This medication has essentially saved my life. My doctor is as thrilled as I am about it. I should caution readers that most people do NOT have as good a response to Celebrex as I have had; my mother felt no improvement in her arthritis at all from it, for example. I am very fortunate. Different people seem to respond very differently to arthritis meds.

Before Celebrex I had given up any hope of mobility, but it made so much difference for my arthritis that my hope was renewed and that is why I was able to lose 78 pounds (so far), and this has helped my arthritis also. It is pretty aggravating to lose some of that precious mobility again due to PF, but I am determined to do what I can to heal fast and get back to participating in my own life!!!

Carole

Rebecca H. on 11/25/01 at 23:40 (065270)

Let me clarify: I am very thankful for pain relief in general. I have taken lots of motrin and am so glad that there are medications like celebrex out there for people who are suffering from many different things. I was just wondering in the case of Plantar Fasciitis if taking pain relievers actually makes me and maybe other people keep doing more damage to their feet by continuing to standing, walking, shopping...etc. when they should be sitting resting their feet and letting them heal.

Julie on 11/26/01 at 03:46 (065277)

Rebecca, I agree with you that pain relievers can give a false sense of security and lead to the very over-activity that people with PF need to avoid. When I had PF, I avoided painkillers and NSAIDS for this reason, because I knew I'd let them delude me into doing too much. However, I think that as long you're aware of this, and don't let yourself be deluded, deluded, you can benefit from the relief of the medication and still rest!

John h on 11/26/01 at 07:12 (065278)

Carol: you immediately go on my list of heroes for losing 78 lbs! That had to take a lot of will power. You are right of course that celebrex does not help all patients with arthritis. My wife Mary has arthritis in her hands and it did not help her. She swims several days a week and take fish oil, vitimin E, extra D and C and seems to have done very well for the past 4 years. Her reumhotoligist is really big on fish oil.

John h on 11/26/01 at 07:16 (065280)

I never found any medications that would touch my PF. If i had I would probably have been on them. Unrelenting pain can do at least as much damage or perhaps more both physically and psychologically than meds in many cases.

Rebecca H on 11/26/01 at 09:39 (065286)

John,

Sounds like you have quite a case of PF. I'm sorry if my comments sounded insensitive to those in more pain than me.

I would like to hear your PF history and anyone else who cares to share theirs. Maybe it would help me keep my own in perspective.

Carole C on 11/26/01 at 10:16 (065288)

I've noticed that Celebrex seems to do more for my arthritis pain than for my PF, John. About a week ago I didn't take it for a day, and ow! My knees were hurting more than my PF. Also, since I've increased from 200mg to 400 mg what I've noticed most is my knees hurting less. Celebrex isn't just a pain deadener per se, but a Cox-2 inhibitor, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Carole

Carole C on 11/26/01 at 10:25 (065289)

Thanks, John. I'm working on it. :) I have less than 100 more to lose in order to attain the ideal weight for my height. I am doing it with Weight Watchers which is slow, but it isn't very severe so it is not too hard to just keep at it.

Fish oil, huh? I'll ask my rheumatologist about that the next time I see him. Meanwhile it wouldn't hurt my weight loss regimen at all to eat more fish like salmon, which I think would provide me with some natural fish oil.

Carole

Tammie on 11/26/01 at 11:07 (065292)

At one point I would have disagreed with any type of medication to dull the pain. At this point with two surgeries and still a great deal of pain I have to agree with your statement! I am now at the point of looking for help with both the physical and the emotional pain that seems to go with this long term afliction. I am not sure at this point if it ever really does get better for good, I am feeling it is a life time battle and from what my Dr. has told me it can be if I don't change some things it will only get much worse not better.

I never expected this to change my whole life, not forever that is. So yes I would have to agree with you John on the damage, being more then the physical side a combination that certainly can leave you on the bottom side of life!

john h on 11/26/01 at 12:07 (065300)

baked salamon is a regular at our home. i have read many reports on fish oil as being good for arthritis. i will post the type most doctors recommend as there are various types out there.

Jane on 11/26/01 at 12:57 (065303)

I take 3 advil about 3 to 4 times a day....doesn't really do much for the pain....but the inflamation does go down....(I guess)..... I have asked the doc for tylenol with codeine....that helps but I take it at nite since it's supposed to make you drowsy....his main concern was that I may overdo it if I have no pain on this tylenol....so I guess (I know) you can over do it without pain and then suffer for the next THREE days...with the 3rd day being the height of the pain....OUCH!!! I tend to rest for two days...feel kinda sorta good LOL and then overdo it the next day and pay for it the next 2.

wendyn on 11/26/01 at 21:27 (065351)

Jene - if you're having to take that many Advil - you should ask your doctor about Celebrex or Vioxx - they may be a little safer for your stomach long term. They are available by prescription only.

The problem with the tylenol/codiene is that it is only a pain killer - not an anti-inflammatory.

Re: yes, generally

elliott on 11/27/01 at 08:38 (065379)

Aside, obviously, from relieving the pain itself, two other important reasons I believe not mentioned in this thread yet are:

1. It can stop you from deleteriously altering your gait due to the pain, thereby preventing related pain from developing

2. It can stop a pain spiral, which, for reasons sometimes unknown (e.g. whether it's actual healing, improved attitude which promotes healing, etc.) often leads to permanent improvement.

If you're getting pain relief with the meds and don't have or foresee any severe side effects, my feeling is it definitely pays to take the mat least short term. Now that you had a minor setback, you have a better handle on how much it takes to overdo it and will avoid that. Unless, of course, you're an addicted athlete who just can't help herself. :-)

Kathy G on 11/27/01 at 08:50 (065382)

Rebecca,

I second the opinion that you should see your doctor about going on either Viox or Celebrex. The long-term effects on your stomach from the Motrin are much more threatening. Most people see some relief from these drugs and long-term use doesn't seem to be a problem. Personally, the Viox helped me with the neuroma pain and other aches and pains I had than it helped me with the PF pain, but everyone is different. Certainly it would be worthwhile trying, for at least a month.

As to whether painkillers will make you overdo it - I have yet to find a painkiller that masked the pain that well! For me, pain is much worse as the day goes on. My PF isn't that debilitating in the AM - I am lucky. I take a Darvocet or Phrenelin at night if the pain is terrible or sometimes late in the afternoon when I have to call it quits and sit down. I had prescriptions to these drugs because of migraines and sinus headaches and the doctor said to use them for the PF when necessary. I try to get by on just the Viox during the day because I hate to give up my ability to drive and I can't drive on the other drugs. I've experimented by adding Tylenol or enteric-coated aspirin but they don't seem to help much.

One thing that is so frustrating about this condition is that it's not something you can 'work through'. I mean, you can't walk through the pain - exercise, etc. like you can with some conditions. In the past, if my back was acting up, I could still go about my regular activities and even exercise without doing further damage to my back, as long as I didn't mind putting up with the discomfort. With PF, if you ignore the pain, you'll just make the condition much worse. That is one of the hardest things to accept and after 7 months of PF, I'm still having trouble remembering it. I asked my doctor if I could take a Darvocet and then walk on the treadmill, since it would dull the pain, but his answer was a loud resounding 'NO', after which he told me I was smarter than that! Well, I knew what he'd say, but I figured it was worth a try!

So,after all that, I guess what I'm saying is: Take the pain medication if it will lessen the pain but don't plan on running a marathon or going dancing because the pain lessens! As much as it kills you, you'll still have to take it as easy as possible.

Re: Yes, it is !!!

BrianG on 11/27/01 at 15:12 (065422)

As anyone who knows my postings, I definatly believe in pain relief through medication. Without it, I'd be close to being bedridden, and quite possibly suicidal. With the proper pain meds I can at least get some things done every day. Until recently, I was able to work. Without the meds, I would have had to stop working a couple years ago. If I had a sit down type of job, I may still be working today. I thank God I can still get out to food shop, exercise a little, and visit family. Without the meds, none of this would be possible.

As much as I believe in the meds, I look forward to healing and then slowly tapering off them. If getting healed is not an option, then I have no problem taking my pain meds for the rest of my life. They have already extended what I can physically accomplish by quite a bit. I pray that eveyone who needs pain meds, is able to find a compassionate doctor to help with their pain control. Good luck

BCG

PS As others have already mentioned, no marathons. Keep it simple

John h on 11/27/01 at 17:13 (065440)

My gut feeling Rebecca and it is not based on science is that you cannot get enough relief from medication to allow you to do farther damage to your feet unless it is a strong narcotic. I have never found anything that would touch PF very much.