Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

EPF ON 11/28/01

Posted by AYESHAR on 11/26/01 at 07:43 (065282)

looking for comments and advise on EPF recovery. My doc seems to think it's no big deal - says i'll be walking on it hours after surgery. Been reading about the surgery and the message boards. Doesn't seem like any one is walking on it hours after surgery. Also, been reading a lot about casts being put on after surgery - my doc has not mentioned anything. I'm taking 3 weeks off work - is that enough time?

Re: EPF ON 11/28/01

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/26/01 at 17:59 (065332)

One can return to work after EPF in a sedentary or seated occupation within days but say, a factory job, would require 6 to 8 weeks off.

'Walking within hours of surgery' really means walking with crutches, splint, cast or surgical shoe in a limited fashion.

There are differences of opinion on the need for casts after surgery. Patients, in my experience seem to do better with casts. The plantar fascia is a supporting structure of the foot so when it is released, the cast allows other parts of the foot to adapt to weight bearing more gradually. The occupation, activity level and weight of the patient also needs to be taken into account.
Ed

Re: EPF ON 11/28/01

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/26/01 at 17:59 (065332)

One can return to work after EPF in a sedentary or seated occupation within days but say, a factory job, would require 6 to 8 weeks off.

'Walking within hours of surgery' really means walking with crutches, splint, cast or surgical shoe in a limited fashion.

There are differences of opinion on the need for casts after surgery. Patients, in my experience seem to do better with casts. The plantar fascia is a supporting structure of the foot so when it is released, the cast allows other parts of the foot to adapt to weight bearing more gradually. The occupation, activity level and weight of the patient also needs to be taken into account.
Ed