Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Night Splint question

Posted by CatherineL on 11/26/01 at 08:12 (065283)

Hi all,

1+ 1/2yrs with PF. Tried pretty much everything except ESWT and surgery.

Am currently trying a nightsplint, along with the old standard of: anti-inflamatorries, ART, masssage therapy, orthotics & good shoes.

I started wearing the night splint nightly about 3-4 weeks ago and am aware that it could take upto 3 months to get benefit from. I have had some immediate relief from it in the way of helping with the first steps of the day. My foot is no longer balled-up tight in the a.m.

What is everyones experience with the splint?

Thanx
Catherine

Re: Night Splint question

john h on 11/26/01 at 08:50 (065285)

CatherineL: I would stick with the night splint. The science behind it makes good sense. Do not expect any immediate results. Do make sure you have it adjusted so that your foot is in the neutral or dorsiflex position. What brand of night splint are you using? Having tried several I find the one Scott sells to be the most comfortable and easy to adjust that I have used. I found the long big plastic the worst. Uncomfortable and hard to keep the foot in a dorsiflex position.

Sandy H. on 11/26/01 at 17:53 (065331)

I also think that the night splint works. It has definitely relieved the pain and the insertion point in my heel and made my ankle feel less stiff but now I'm developing a bit of pain where the PF meets the metatarsals and that is where the splint presses on the ball of my foot. Anyone else had this and found a way to stop it. Not that bad but a bit of a setback and not sure if can be blamed on the splint. Also I find that when I take the thing off in the middle of the night my ankle is very stiff and crunchy. I hope it isn't doing any harm to that by stopping it from moving.

john h on 11/26/01 at 08:50 (065285)

CatherineL: I would stick with the night splint. The science behind it makes good sense. Do not expect any immediate results. Do make sure you have it adjusted so that your foot is in the neutral or dorsiflex position. What brand of night splint are you using? Having tried several I find the one Scott sells to be the most comfortable and easy to adjust that I have used. I found the long big plastic the worst. Uncomfortable and hard to keep the foot in a dorsiflex position.

Sandy H. on 11/26/01 at 17:53 (065331)

I also think that the night splint works. It has definitely relieved the pain and the insertion point in my heel and made my ankle feel less stiff but now I'm developing a bit of pain where the PF meets the metatarsals and that is where the splint presses on the ball of my foot. Anyone else had this and found a way to stop it. Not that bad but a bit of a setback and not sure if can be blamed on the splint. Also I find that when I take the thing off in the middle of the night my ankle is very stiff and crunchy. I hope it isn't doing any harm to that by stopping it from moving.