Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Neurontin

Posted by Tammie on 11/26/01 at 11:25 (065296)

I have been reading about those here who seem to have tried this neurontin, I am interested in what it does or supposed to do for you and why it is given and by whom? I am in search of answers again myself and this drug has never been mentioned to me. I just wondered if it would be something to look into? It has been suggested I should see a neroulogist as possible nerve damage? Lord only knows and at this point I am not even sure I want to know what might be in store for my feet next. But Have made a appointment with a new dr. to start the search, not that i am giving up on my pod but seems it may be time to involve another as he suggested a neuro consult.Among other things that I am not to thrilled about. So any help would be apreciated I need to start again with researching as much as I can to help self. Thanks

Re: Neurontin

Dennis B. on 11/26/01 at 15:00 (065312)

My understanding is that Neurontin was originally developed as an anti-seizure medication and was later found to be helpful in pain relief. I have tried it, 300mg per pill, 6 times per day and it was not successful for me. I have peripheral neuropathy as well as spinal stenosis along with my tts so that could be the reason. I visit the neuropathy web site religiously, like I do this one, and there I have found those that swear by Neurontin and those that have had no relief in using it. My prescription for Neurontin was issued by my Internal Medicine Dr. that I was seeing earlier this year, however, the orthopedic surgeon that did my tts release was at about the same time, going to refer me to a neurologist to explore the possible usage of Neurontin. I would suggest that you consult your Dr. regarding the possibility of them giving you a prescription for it. IF I remember correctly, 120 of the 300mg pills cost about $85 or $90 in my neck of the woods.

wendyn on 11/26/01 at 21:30 (065353)

Tammie, I think Dennis is right on track with everything he said about neurontin.

If you have nerve problems - it may really make a difference. Please do consider asking your new doctor about it.

When do you see your new doc (remember that you are not 'giving up on your pod'...you are 'seeking another opinion'. Please don't feel guilty - you have nothing to be ashamed of!

elliott on 11/26/01 at 22:03 (065360)

Where exactly is this neuropathy web site? Can you provide a link? Thanks.

Dennis B. on 11/27/01 at 14:01 (065416)

The site is http://www.neuropathy.org . Actually Wendyn steered me to it a number of months ago as a follow up to one of my posts. She told me, and I found it to be true, that when you register they ask you some questions that may lead you to think that they are going to 'hound' you for donations, etc. That is not the case. I find it interesting to see the overlap of symptoms, in some cases, between the two conditions.

Re: thanks

elliott on 11/27/01 at 14:36 (065420)

I think I did see that once before but didn't bookmark it and forgot about it for the exact reason you mention: you can't really access anything significant until after you register, and the only thing you can access before registering is so heavy with donation requests that it scares everyone away. I think they'd get a lot more registered people (and donations) if they allowed some viewing of what they have to offer prior to registering. Do they have a forum like ours? If so, one idea would be to allow forum visitation to all (that is, viewing but not posting) as an enticement to register. If you wanna pass it on to them, fine. I think I'm still too afraid to register.

-----

Re: Thanks

Tammie on 11/27/01 at 21:51 (065463)

Thank You all for your help I will indeed talk with the dr.s about this as what more do I have to lose? Shame, I should not ask that question!

I am not really feeling guilty about seeing another dr. as he himself has suggested a consult with a neuro guy, As he is worried about nerve damage.
I see my dr. the pod on fri this week and I am sure he expects me to tell him I have thought about changing types of job or I can work the 2 hrs on feet 2 hrs off and a total of 4 hrs a day. That is what he would like me to do. But then he does not have my responsibilities.He asked me tho if I had had a heart attack and was told to change jobs or risk another would I be so hesitant then? And if so why do I insist on torturing myself. Boy oh boy how come feet are such a problem? I see another dr. in dec. how interesting I am not looking foward to it at all.I am really sick of all this foot stuff I am at my wits end and am thinking since it seems as tho it is going to be a problem , I may as well learn to live with it .

Thanks again for the help! Not sure what else I can do at this point?

Dennis B. on 11/28/01 at 13:44 (065508)

I don't believe, but am not sure, that you can view anything without registering first. As to the forum, it is somewhat different and not as user friendly as this one, in my opinion. The message boards are to the left of your screen and then when you click on one that you wish to view, it appears to the right of the screen. Once again, I have yet to be approached for any kind of donation. If my memory serves me correctly, Wendyn said that she had gotten one letter from them shortly after subscribing. She should be able to confirm that fact.

wendyn on 11/28/01 at 19:18 (065557)

You are right Dennis...

I received one package from them right away - it was a booklet that was really informative, and there may have been a donation form.

I think that maybe several months later I received one other letter - but that's it.

Bottom line - if anyone is really concerned about it- leave a ficticous address and phone

eileenc on 12/02/01 at 08:43 (065897)

Neurontin has helped the h0rrible burning and sensitivity to touch that was part of my TT problems --- before and after an unsuccessful TT release.

For 3 1/2 years I have taken 400mg 5 times a day. The only side effect is feeling 'foggy' all the time; definitely preferable over the pain.

Dennis B. on 11/26/01 at 15:00 (065312)

My understanding is that Neurontin was originally developed as an anti-seizure medication and was later found to be helpful in pain relief. I have tried it, 300mg per pill, 6 times per day and it was not successful for me. I have peripheral neuropathy as well as spinal stenosis along with my tts so that could be the reason. I visit the neuropathy web site religiously, like I do this one, and there I have found those that swear by Neurontin and those that have had no relief in using it. My prescription for Neurontin was issued by my Internal Medicine Dr. that I was seeing earlier this year, however, the orthopedic surgeon that did my tts release was at about the same time, going to refer me to a neurologist to explore the possible usage of Neurontin. I would suggest that you consult your Dr. regarding the possibility of them giving you a prescription for it. IF I remember correctly, 120 of the 300mg pills cost about $85 or $90 in my neck of the woods.

wendyn on 11/26/01 at 21:30 (065353)

Tammie, I think Dennis is right on track with everything he said about neurontin.

If you have nerve problems - it may really make a difference. Please do consider asking your new doctor about it.

When do you see your new doc (remember that you are not 'giving up on your pod'...you are 'seeking another opinion'. Please don't feel guilty - you have nothing to be ashamed of!

elliott on 11/26/01 at 22:03 (065360)

Where exactly is this neuropathy web site? Can you provide a link? Thanks.

Dennis B. on 11/27/01 at 14:01 (065416)

The site is http://www.neuropathy.org . Actually Wendyn steered me to it a number of months ago as a follow up to one of my posts. She told me, and I found it to be true, that when you register they ask you some questions that may lead you to think that they are going to 'hound' you for donations, etc. That is not the case. I find it interesting to see the overlap of symptoms, in some cases, between the two conditions.

elliott on 11/27/01 at 14:36 (065420)

I think I did see that once before but didn't bookmark it and forgot about it for the exact reason you mention: you can't really access anything significant until after you register, and the only thing you can access before registering is so heavy with donation requests that it scares everyone away. I think they'd get a lot more registered people (and donations) if they allowed some viewing of what they have to offer prior to registering. Do they have a forum like ours? If so, one idea would be to allow forum visitation to all (that is, viewing but not posting) as an enticement to register. If you wanna pass it on to them, fine. I think I'm still too afraid to register.

-----

Re: Thanks

Tammie on 11/27/01 at 21:51 (065463)

Thank You all for your help I will indeed talk with the dr.s about this as what more do I have to lose? Shame, I should not ask that question!

I am not really feeling guilty about seeing another dr. as he himself has suggested a consult with a neuro guy, As he is worried about nerve damage.
I see my dr. the pod on fri this week and I am sure he expects me to tell him I have thought about changing types of job or I can work the 2 hrs on feet 2 hrs off and a total of 4 hrs a day. That is what he would like me to do. But then he does not have my responsibilities.He asked me tho if I had had a heart attack and was told to change jobs or risk another would I be so hesitant then? And if so why do I insist on torturing myself. Boy oh boy how come feet are such a problem? I see another dr. in dec. how interesting I am not looking foward to it at all.I am really sick of all this foot stuff I am at my wits end and am thinking since it seems as tho it is going to be a problem , I may as well learn to live with it .

Thanks again for the help! Not sure what else I can do at this point?

Dennis B. on 11/28/01 at 13:44 (065508)

I don't believe, but am not sure, that you can view anything without registering first. As to the forum, it is somewhat different and not as user friendly as this one, in my opinion. The message boards are to the left of your screen and then when you click on one that you wish to view, it appears to the right of the screen. Once again, I have yet to be approached for any kind of donation. If my memory serves me correctly, Wendyn said that she had gotten one letter from them shortly after subscribing. She should be able to confirm that fact.

wendyn on 11/28/01 at 19:18 (065557)

You are right Dennis...

I received one package from them right away - it was a booklet that was really informative, and there may have been a donation form.

I think that maybe several months later I received one other letter - but that's it.

Bottom line - if anyone is really concerned about it- leave a ficticous address and phone

eileenc on 12/02/01 at 08:43 (065897)

Neurontin has helped the h0rrible burning and sensitivity to touch that was part of my TT problems --- before and after an unsuccessful TT release.

For 3 1/2 years I have taken 400mg 5 times a day. The only side effect is feeling 'foggy' all the time; definitely preferable over the pain.