Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PreOP TTS release - what can I expect

Posted by ShaneS on 11/26/01 at 13:13 (065305)

Hey Everyone,

I am having surgery this week - 11/30 for TTS release. I have had severe heel pain for approx. 2 years now(both feet). It has affected my life, because I don't even want to be on my feet anymore. I also have numbness in my pre-op foot, which I have broken my ankle twice and had 2 surgeries on. I thought the numbness was just normal because of my previous ankle trauma. I have had numerous cortisone injections (temporary relief) and have been wearing orthotics for about a year and a half. I had the EMG test and I tested positive. I do have flat feet, which i'm told adds to the onset of TTS. I'm just wondering what kind of results I can expect, recovery time, etc. i've been doing some research and I'm confident I will have some success with the surgery. Any advice?

Thanks,

Shane
Las Vegas

Re: PreOP TTS release - what can I expect

cindyp on 11/26/01 at 16:43 (065318)

Well it varies by person but what I experienced was that stay off the feet because they swell some even after stitches are out. Keep the foot up on pillows. Recovery takes awhile. I am 7 months out and am pretty recovered. The ankle sometimesfeels squishy but it takes time more than anything else. Get you pain meds and stay on the schedule. That is important.

wendyn on 11/26/01 at 21:26 (065350)

Shane, I hope all goes well for you!

I have not had the TTS surgery, but my best advice to you is to take it easy, follow doctors orders, do take your pain meds and RELAX.

Feet heel very slowly - take your time.

SonnyK on 11/26/01 at 22:45 (065365)

I had TTS surgery in August and I am still recovering! I think recovery time varies with each person. My advice is to REST the foot...don't rush things. The best thing you can do is to keep the swelling down. I am still wrapping mine and I still have some pain and swelling but nothing like before the surgery. I have flat feet too.....my ortho thinks this was part of the cause of my TTS. Keep doing the research....it is a rare condition ...I found that sometimes I had more info than the Docs. This site is great for information and advice. Good Luck!

ShaneS on 11/27/01 at 12:30 (065405)

Sonny,

Did you have TTS in both feet? or just the one you had surgery on? if both, do you plan on getting the other one done?

SonnyK on 11/27/01 at 15:20 (065423)

I had the surgery on the right foot..I had a positive EMG on that one. I didn't have the other foot tested....I can see it coming some day. But I can't imagine having both feet done at once. If I need to have surgery on my left foot someday..I think I would do it again.

Tammie on 11/27/01 at 21:59 (065465)

Shane, I want to wish you luck also they all have good advice for u! I hope it works out well! I had it done aug 30 , tho I may have had some positive outcome I think or no I know I overdid it much to soon! I am not sure what i might have done because of this , whether it is permenant or not time and more dr. consults are needed now. So please listen to them when they say feet heal VERY slowly and do what your doc says as they are the ones with the knowledge to help u! I think that u must do the research and feel comfortable with your dr. and with that everything will fall in place! Good Luck and remember hope you like the idea of some time recouping!!!! Let us know how things go! Will say a prayer for u!

Fran W on 11/27/01 at 22:25 (065467)

Guess what? I had both feet done a year and a half ago and I am still in pain. If I knew then what I know now I would not have had the surgery. Do you take any medications? Trying a new doctor to see if he can help.

Re: You didn't have the other foot tested? Are you sure?

elliott on 11/28/01 at 16:15 (065525)

Highly unusual. The NCV/EMG should have been performed on both feet, even if you had no symptoms in your good foot, because the contrast in readings between good and bad foot aids in comfirming the TTS diagnosis.

cindyp on 11/28/01 at 16:40 (065528)

I don't know I never had any of those tests?

Re: test results

ShaneS on 11/28/01 at 17:09 (065532)

Aren't the test results the determining factor to tell if you have TTS?? I never knew what I had until I got the results of those tests.

cindyp on 11/28/01 at 20:05 (065563)

All I had was an mri and the foot and ankle reconstrutive surgeon said that is what you need is tts surgery and removal of a tumor/varicose vein. Never had no emg or nerve test of any kind.

Carol C on 12/18/01 at 22:31 (067375)

They only tested my 'foot in question' ...not both....

cindyp on 11/26/01 at 16:43 (065318)

Well it varies by person but what I experienced was that stay off the feet because they swell some even after stitches are out. Keep the foot up on pillows. Recovery takes awhile. I am 7 months out and am pretty recovered. The ankle sometimesfeels squishy but it takes time more than anything else. Get you pain meds and stay on the schedule. That is important.

wendyn on 11/26/01 at 21:26 (065350)

Shane, I hope all goes well for you!

I have not had the TTS surgery, but my best advice to you is to take it easy, follow doctors orders, do take your pain meds and RELAX.

Feet heel very slowly - take your time.

SonnyK on 11/26/01 at 22:45 (065365)

I had TTS surgery in August and I am still recovering! I think recovery time varies with each person. My advice is to REST the foot...don't rush things. The best thing you can do is to keep the swelling down. I am still wrapping mine and I still have some pain and swelling but nothing like before the surgery. I have flat feet too.....my ortho thinks this was part of the cause of my TTS. Keep doing the research....it is a rare condition ...I found that sometimes I had more info than the Docs. This site is great for information and advice. Good Luck!

ShaneS on 11/27/01 at 12:30 (065405)

Sonny,

Did you have TTS in both feet? or just the one you had surgery on? if both, do you plan on getting the other one done?

SonnyK on 11/27/01 at 15:20 (065423)

I had the surgery on the right foot..I had a positive EMG on that one. I didn't have the other foot tested....I can see it coming some day. But I can't imagine having both feet done at once. If I need to have surgery on my left foot someday..I think I would do it again.

Tammie on 11/27/01 at 21:59 (065465)

Shane, I want to wish you luck also they all have good advice for u! I hope it works out well! I had it done aug 30 , tho I may have had some positive outcome I think or no I know I overdid it much to soon! I am not sure what i might have done because of this , whether it is permenant or not time and more dr. consults are needed now. So please listen to them when they say feet heal VERY slowly and do what your doc says as they are the ones with the knowledge to help u! I think that u must do the research and feel comfortable with your dr. and with that everything will fall in place! Good Luck and remember hope you like the idea of some time recouping!!!! Let us know how things go! Will say a prayer for u!

Fran W on 11/27/01 at 22:25 (065467)

Guess what? I had both feet done a year and a half ago and I am still in pain. If I knew then what I know now I would not have had the surgery. Do you take any medications? Trying a new doctor to see if he can help.

elliott on 11/28/01 at 16:15 (065525)

Highly unusual. The NCV/EMG should have been performed on both feet, even if you had no symptoms in your good foot, because the contrast in readings between good and bad foot aids in comfirming the TTS diagnosis.

cindyp on 11/28/01 at 16:40 (065528)

I don't know I never had any of those tests?

ShaneS on 11/28/01 at 17:09 (065532)

Aren't the test results the determining factor to tell if you have TTS?? I never knew what I had until I got the results of those tests.

cindyp on 11/28/01 at 20:05 (065563)

All I had was an mri and the foot and ankle reconstrutive surgeon said that is what you need is tts surgery and removal of a tumor/varicose vein. Never had no emg or nerve test of any kind.

Carol C on 12/18/01 at 22:31 (067375)

They only tested my 'foot in question' ...not both....