Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthotics

Posted by Andrea B. on 11/26/01 at 18:21 (065335)

I recently have EPF surgery and my doctor recommended orthotics which I went ahead and got. My problem is they are so uncomfortable that I can hardly stand wearing them. They are made by Northwest Podiatric Laboratory, they are not leather and are extremely hard - they say superglass on them. Should I expect them to be uncomfortable for awhile or is this unusual?

Re: Orthotics

BGCPed on 11/26/01 at 22:09 (065361)

Northwest Podiatric is the only lab I use for the few I dont make myself. They make the best orthotic around IMHO. What break-in instructions did you receive? The shoe you are wearing also make a big difference. They sometimes need to be adjusted as well. Talk to your Doctor and see what he/she thinks.

Re: sorry to hear that

elliott on 11/27/01 at 15:08 (065421)

Dr. Ed thinks Northwest's orthotics are the greatest bestest in the worldest, and yet your experience sounds to many of us like the typical run of the mill many of us have faced. Do they fit properly and yet are still uncomfortable? Do they need adjustment?

Andrea B. on 11/28/01 at 22:00 (065576)

I went back to the doctor Tuesday for a check-up and found out I was wearing were all wrong. My doctor put me back in atheltic shoes (New Balance) for the next month. He also had the nurse tape my foot, that really helped! He wants me to came back next week again to have it taped and then follow up with hime again to see if they are fitting properly. I also found out they 'forgot' to give me the instructions for breaking them in so I started wearing them all the time and I shouldn't have.

Re: sorry to hear that--Lab quality

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/05/01 at 16:33 (066245)

Northwest Labs make great orthotics but their product is still dependent on the prescription and casts (molds of feet) provided to them by the doctor.

Patients often need a softer device in the post-op period and then can switch to a more rigid, controlling device later. Perhaps the doc can lower the arch and add cushioning for now, until the surgery helaing is further along.
Ed

Re: Orthotics

BGCPed on 11/26/01 at 22:09 (065361)

Northwest Podiatric is the only lab I use for the few I dont make myself. They make the best orthotic around IMHO. What break-in instructions did you receive? The shoe you are wearing also make a big difference. They sometimes need to be adjusted as well. Talk to your Doctor and see what he/she thinks.

elliott on 11/27/01 at 15:08 (065421)

Dr. Ed thinks Northwest's orthotics are the greatest bestest in the worldest, and yet your experience sounds to many of us like the typical run of the mill many of us have faced. Do they fit properly and yet are still uncomfortable? Do they need adjustment?

Andrea B. on 11/28/01 at 22:00 (065576)

I went back to the doctor Tuesday for a check-up and found out I was wearing were all wrong. My doctor put me back in atheltic shoes (New Balance) for the next month. He also had the nurse tape my foot, that really helped! He wants me to came back next week again to have it taped and then follow up with hime again to see if they are fitting properly. I also found out they 'forgot' to give me the instructions for breaking them in so I started wearing them all the time and I shouldn't have.

Re: sorry to hear that--Lab quality

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/05/01 at 16:33 (066245)

Northwest Labs make great orthotics but their product is still dependent on the prescription and casts (molds of feet) provided to them by the doctor.

Patients often need a softer device in the post-op period and then can switch to a more rigid, controlling device later. Perhaps the doc can lower the arch and add cushioning for now, until the surgery helaing is further along.
Ed