Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

size of needle

Posted by Karen on 11/27/01 at 10:03 (065387)

I've been told by several people about the size of the needle that is used for the emg test, but they don't seem to agree. Can I please get several poresponses on here as to the size of the needle you experienced? Is it the size of a regular blood test needle or acupuncture needle or smaller yet? Thanks

Re: size of needle

ShaneS on 11/27/01 at 10:22 (065392)

It seems that everyone is afraid of this test. It's not that bad - for me it was virturally painless, the doctor adjusted the shock so it didn't pulsate as bad. the needle size is about the same as a blood test. the only thing that hurt a little was when the test was over, he put the needle in my leg so he could listen to the muscle (i had to spread my toes apart)The way i thought of it, it hurt alot less than my heel pain!! It's progress to get rid of your pain.

Good luck

Re: I'd say slightly larger than a bazooka

elliott on 11/27/01 at 10:58 (065399)

Again, just kidding, honest! They're small. To me they seem much smaller, both in thickness and in length, than a blood test needle; certainly closer to acupuncture needles (but definitely shorter). I'd say around 1.75 inches long and, if you push me for an answer, 0.0376540782 mm thick. :-) They won't leave marks. The whole needles test is only seconds. They don't insert the whole needled, just a little bit of it. The pricks themselves barely hurt at all; it's more of this somewhat uncomfortable feeling of not being able to flex your muscles while it's in there. Whole needles part of test is only seconds, no big deal at all. Check out the thread below on EMG for more details.

ShaneS on 11/27/01 at 11:28 (065402)

Actually, Elliot your estimation is a little off. 0.0376540782 mm is roughly .00148244402362 in. A human hair is roughly .002 - .003 thick(.0508 - .0762mm). It is my best estimation, being in the engineering field, not the medical field, that the needle thickness is between .04-.05 in. (1.016 - 1.27 mm). The needle is smaller than 1/16'.(Roughly 72% of 1/16') I hope that you can get a better estimation of the figures, using these 'approximate numbers'

Good luck

Re: I hope you're kidding

elliott on 11/27/01 at 13:26 (065411)

That number was totally tongue-in-cheek, in case the number of decimals didn't tip you off. You must really be an engineer: calculating, humorless, unfeeling, and hence you sense no pain at all on this totally unbearable EMG test. :-) (Note: that was a joke, with tongue-in-cheek adjectives, and the test in fact not being so bad. Can't be too sure with an engineer. :-)) You think the exact thickness really matters to anyone (other than you)?

Anyway, I think many are going in to this test totally stressed out with preconceived notions of how terrible it is, and maybe their concept of how painful it is becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. If they would just take a laid back, I need-it-anyway, it-soon-will-be-over approach, maybe it would be different.

Well, you've given me an excuse to start engineering jokes. Here's one:

An engineering student on campus was showing off his brand new bike to his other engineering friends.

'Nice bike,' said one friend. 'Where'd you get it?'

The engineer replied, 'This beautiful girl rode up to me, put her bike on the ground, took off all her clothes and said, 'Take whatever you want.''

'So you took the bike.'

'Yeah,' replied the engineer, 'the clothes wouldn't have fit anyway.'

-----------

ShaneS on 11/28/01 at 13:12 (065502)

I too, have a sense of humor! of course I knew you were joking, I just took it to the next level...perhaps a little too extreme...naaaah! I was just trying to add a little humor (twisted humor) to our painful lives(heel pain). The joke by the way, was funny, but pretty unrealistic. When have you ever seen a pretty girl take off all of her clothes for an Engineer - how 'bout never....;) anyway I need to know your occupation, so I can conjure up some jokes for you!

Re: Is your last name Spencer, by any chance?

elliott on 11/28/01 at 13:36 (065506)

Just a sports joke. The engineer joke was unrealistic for another reason: he wouldn't have noticed she was beautiful. :-)

ShaneS on 11/28/01 at 13:55 (065512)

Oh, you mean the baseball player....:)

Re: PS

elliott on 11/28/01 at 16:16 (065526)

Good luck on your surgery. Just read the thread below.

Re: size of needle

ShaneS on 11/27/01 at 10:22 (065392)

It seems that everyone is afraid of this test. It's not that bad - for me it was virturally painless, the doctor adjusted the shock so it didn't pulsate as bad. the needle size is about the same as a blood test. the only thing that hurt a little was when the test was over, he put the needle in my leg so he could listen to the muscle (i had to spread my toes apart)The way i thought of it, it hurt alot less than my heel pain!! It's progress to get rid of your pain.

Good luck

elliott on 11/27/01 at 10:58 (065399)

Again, just kidding, honest! They're small. To me they seem much smaller, both in thickness and in length, than a blood test needle; certainly closer to acupuncture needles (but definitely shorter). I'd say around 1.75 inches long and, if you push me for an answer, 0.0376540782 mm thick. :-) They won't leave marks. The whole needles test is only seconds. They don't insert the whole needled, just a little bit of it. The pricks themselves barely hurt at all; it's more of this somewhat uncomfortable feeling of not being able to flex your muscles while it's in there. Whole needles part of test is only seconds, no big deal at all. Check out the thread below on EMG for more details.

ShaneS on 11/27/01 at 11:28 (065402)

Actually, Elliot your estimation is a little off. 0.0376540782 mm is roughly .00148244402362 in. A human hair is roughly .002 - .003 thick(.0508 - .0762mm). It is my best estimation, being in the engineering field, not the medical field, that the needle thickness is between .04-.05 in. (1.016 - 1.27 mm). The needle is smaller than 1/16'.(Roughly 72% of 1/16') I hope that you can get a better estimation of the figures, using these 'approximate numbers'

Good luck

elliott on 11/27/01 at 13:26 (065411)

That number was totally tongue-in-cheek, in case the number of decimals didn't tip you off. You must really be an engineer: calculating, humorless, unfeeling, and hence you sense no pain at all on this totally unbearable EMG test. :-) (Note: that was a joke, with tongue-in-cheek adjectives, and the test in fact not being so bad. Can't be too sure with an engineer. :-)) You think the exact thickness really matters to anyone (other than you)?

Anyway, I think many are going in to this test totally stressed out with preconceived notions of how terrible it is, and maybe their concept of how painful it is becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. If they would just take a laid back, I need-it-anyway, it-soon-will-be-over approach, maybe it would be different.

Well, you've given me an excuse to start engineering jokes. Here's one:

An engineering student on campus was showing off his brand new bike to his other engineering friends.

'Nice bike,' said one friend. 'Where'd you get it?'

The engineer replied, 'This beautiful girl rode up to me, put her bike on the ground, took off all her clothes and said, 'Take whatever you want.''

'So you took the bike.'

'Yeah,' replied the engineer, 'the clothes wouldn't have fit anyway.'

-----------

ShaneS on 11/28/01 at 13:12 (065502)

I too, have a sense of humor! of course I knew you were joking, I just took it to the next level...perhaps a little too extreme...naaaah! I was just trying to add a little humor (twisted humor) to our painful lives(heel pain). The joke by the way, was funny, but pretty unrealistic. When have you ever seen a pretty girl take off all of her clothes for an Engineer - how 'bout never....;) anyway I need to know your occupation, so I can conjure up some jokes for you!

elliott on 11/28/01 at 13:36 (065506)

Just a sports joke. The engineer joke was unrealistic for another reason: he wouldn't have noticed she was beautiful. :-)

ShaneS on 11/28/01 at 13:55 (065512)

Oh, you mean the baseball player....:)

Re: PS

elliott on 11/28/01 at 16:16 (065526)

Good luck on your surgery. Just read the thread below.