Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Once again, I get pushed aside (going to a foot store)

Posted by Mahatmelissama on 11/27/01 at 10:16 (065390)

I need to rant:

I blew $$$ on alznner's from the Good Foot Store.

I finally figure out my problem needs a doctor. I got a referal to a poditrist (I have HMO) and the Pod can not see me until January 2, 2002.

My beautician really encouraged me to go to this other foot store around here where I live. I get there 6:30 PM (they close at 7 PM). A nice
young man was assigned to help me. He was very helpful and giving me advice how to deal with PF and talking about their computer which
will do a mold of your foot. Well, a lady there told him to STOP HELPING ME and to help someone else. She eventually got over to me when the store closed! She grumbled she had to drive home 'to the Santa Cruz Mountains' but she was sympathetic to my plight so she helped me with finding a pair of shoes to help me. She is 'a podiatric intern' and she has PF but the mold of her foot thing helped her. She acted like she was doing me a big favor by helping me since in her words 'she doesn't get commission'. I spent $$$ on these ugly sandals that are supposed to help PF. Of course, like everything, THEY HURT. All this happened last night.

I am so burned out. I am sick of nothing working. I am sick of waiting. I am tired of not being a witch and giving dirty looks to get good help. I can scare people when I want to but I am so tired of it. I look so of like 'a nice girl' so everyone likes to walk all over me.

I love the way she also told me 'unless you lose an extreme amount of weight, you will have PF' which I ALREADY KNEW (I am very overweight).

Thanks for listening. I needed to vent here before I start my job at work. I just feel depressed and needed to get it out.

Re: Thinking of you...

Suzanne D on 11/27/01 at 10:29 (065395)

I'm sorry you had a rough time last night. You know, when you HURT, everything just seems worse, doesn't it? It is so hard to take things in stride when you can't get the pain off your mind. I wish you could see the dr. before January, but I am glad you have made an appointment. Perhaps if they have a cancellation, you might get in sooner. It's worth asking.

What kind of sandals did you buy last night? Are you supposed to wear them only for a short time until you adjust to them? Maybe they won't hurt after awhile. I hope they help you. Have you ever tried Birkenstock sandals?

Take care, and I hope today is a better day!

Re: Once again, I get pushed aside (going to a foot store)

Carole C on 11/27/01 at 10:53 (065398)

I know just what you mean about people liking to walk all over you because you look like 'a nice girl'. The same things happen to me. It is so infuriating but there is nothing a person can do about it except laugh. And when your feet are hurting, it's hard to have a sense of humor.

Last Wednesday I saw my doctor and I was complaining that I've lost 78 pounds and now suddenly I've got PF. I said, 'it's not fair!' LOL He told me that PF is caused by repetitive activities, poorly fitting shoes, and things like that, and not by being overweight. (Not too long ago I used to be almost 350 pounds but had no trouble at all with my feet).

So maybe this woman was in a terrible mood, or maybe she is just nasty. Maybe she was exhausted and wanted to go home. She shouldn't have taken it out on you; that was not professional at all. Next time, go early and try to get the nice man that helped you to begin with. :)

I don't know about your sandals, but I have heard that Birkenstocks require breaking in starting with just a few minutes a day.

Carole

Re: Nasty people!

Carmen H on 11/27/01 at 12:21 (065403)

Nasty people...mean people....I am tired of them too! I understand how you feel. I too just want someone to be nice to me and say they're sorry I hurt.
So...to you 'I am sorry you hurt.' And it's NONE of her damn business what you weigh or telling you what you SHOULD weigh!!!
Hang in there....

Beverly on 11/27/01 at 16:02 (065425)

Probably one of my pet peeves are shoe sales people and eavesdropping customers who think they are experts on PF and get irritated when you don't follow their product. Every foot is different. No one shoe or insert will work with everyone.
Best wishes,
Beverly

John h on 11/27/01 at 17:05 (065434)

Everyone who is overweight or even a small percentage of them get PF so she is an idiot. Being overweight may or may not contribute to PF. Fact is no one really knows. Scott the guru is skinny an he has pf. weight is no factor in my pf. By the way name has got my attention. Please give me the origin if you do no mind.

DR Zuckerman on 11/27/01 at 18:21 (065444)

I have seen tall,short, large, small body frames with pf. In my opinion it is strictly a repetitive motion injury that has nothing to do with too much weight

Mahatmelissama on 11/27/01 at 18:36 (065446)

Hi there John,

when you say 'name', do you mean the name of the store or the lady who said that?

Mahatmelissama on 11/27/01 at 18:40 (065447)

Dr. Zuckerman,

I think though weight does aggravate that...I think that is what the lady meant.

John h on 11/27/01 at 19:34 (065449)

I mean Mahatmelisama! Mahat meliss ama?

Mahatmelissama on 11/27/01 at 19:54 (065453)

Here is the story of my name...if it is long, remember...YOU ASKED!!!

Back in 1988 or so, when I was about 20, there was no internet to mess around with so putting ads in the free weekly paper around here was considered good fun (right above the personal section...you could put in an ad greeting one of your friends or something sappy for your boyfriend)...well, they put in an ad making fun of this guy we knew 'who got drunk and blew chunks' and made a pass at one of our friends (oh...my was that poor guy mortified). Anyway, I decided to put in ad in following that add and called myself 'Mahatmelissama' to all of them.
(Mahat is what I used to call my glorified Nissan car...why? because I dated a series of Middle-Eastern guys at the time). the ma was put on the end because it sounds neat-o with Mahatmelissa.

The name STUCK. They even say it like this...'Ma-HOT-TI-TI-TA-Melissa-MAAAHHH'. I use that name most often whenever posting on a bb since it brings back good adolesant memories.

DR Zuckerman on 11/27/01 at 20:42 (065455)

IF I had to chose between losing weight and resting the foot . I would pick resting the foot. Now extra weight does have negative effects on your over all health but it isn't the cause of pf and losing weight can help but I have seen where it has no effect. So lost weight for your heart, lungs,
and joints

Re: mahatmelissama--- i have been on both ends of the wt spectrum

linda A on 11/27/01 at 21:20 (065457)

i have been 99 lbs --- and have been 210 lbs , both having feet problems . my normal wt was around 130 lbs ( loved to exercise ) . with the foot problems i have gained wt along w/ the meds i had to take w/ my bi-polar disease . i too spent alot of money on foot pads for the shoes starting off w/ the ones you buy in the regular store , to going to the podiatrist for hard orthotic , then going to the ' good feet store ' ----what a joke . should of readup on that one before i went there , but i was so deperate ( feet were killing me ) . that was $ 200 of my own money down the drain . then i had the surgery for p.f. and another set of hard orhtotics made because the pod. thought the foot had changed ( he was willing to pay for that ) . after all that i had another set of soft orthotics made that the pod. paid for out of his pocket ( truly a nice guy ) , but my fascia are so tight nothing can be done . so there i alot of money being spent on foot products . i even spent money on those water massage gadgets ( ha ha ha!!! ) ----- nothing really works , but staying off and resting after a hard day a work and reading john and everyone else's posts to keep me happy . oh i like how you came up w/ your name . linda a

john h on 11/28/01 at 08:56 (065483)

Suzanne: send me you email ((email removed)) and I will send you a 1st grade class picutre from over half century ago that your kids might enjoy. It is our class doing The Old Woman In The Shoe routine. That mean little girl Peggy is in it-bad memory.

Re: email linking

Scott R on 11/28/01 at 17:32 (065536)

everytime john h posts he finds a new problem with the way the program makes links from email addresses. ((email removed))scott@heelspurs.com

Scott R on 11/28/01 at 17:33 (065537)

everytime john h posts he finds a new problem with the way the program makes links from email addresses. ( (email removed) ) scott@heelspurs.com

John h on 11/29/01 at 16:24 (065654)

Linda:you must remember to research as a number of us wondered into the good feet store and our best guess it was a ripoff. Off the shelf orthotics for $200 plus with a lot of dollars going into info commercials.

Suzanne D on 11/27/01 at 10:29 (065395)

I'm sorry you had a rough time last night. You know, when you HURT, everything just seems worse, doesn't it? It is so hard to take things in stride when you can't get the pain off your mind. I wish you could see the dr. before January, but I am glad you have made an appointment. Perhaps if they have a cancellation, you might get in sooner. It's worth asking.

What kind of sandals did you buy last night? Are you supposed to wear them only for a short time until you adjust to them? Maybe they won't hurt after awhile. I hope they help you. Have you ever tried Birkenstock sandals?

Take care, and I hope today is a better day!

Carole C on 11/27/01 at 10:53 (065398)

I know just what you mean about people liking to walk all over you because you look like 'a nice girl'. The same things happen to me. It is so infuriating but there is nothing a person can do about it except laugh. And when your feet are hurting, it's hard to have a sense of humor.

Last Wednesday I saw my doctor and I was complaining that I've lost 78 pounds and now suddenly I've got PF. I said, 'it's not fair!' LOL He told me that PF is caused by repetitive activities, poorly fitting shoes, and things like that, and not by being overweight. (Not too long ago I used to be almost 350 pounds but had no trouble at all with my feet).

So maybe this woman was in a terrible mood, or maybe she is just nasty. Maybe she was exhausted and wanted to go home. She shouldn't have taken it out on you; that was not professional at all. Next time, go early and try to get the nice man that helped you to begin with. :)

I don't know about your sandals, but I have heard that Birkenstocks require breaking in starting with just a few minutes a day.

Carole

Carmen H on 11/27/01 at 12:21 (065403)

Nasty people...mean people....I am tired of them too! I understand how you feel. I too just want someone to be nice to me and say they're sorry I hurt.
So...to you 'I am sorry you hurt.' And it's NONE of her damn business what you weigh or telling you what you SHOULD weigh!!!
Hang in there....

Beverly on 11/27/01 at 16:02 (065425)

Probably one of my pet peeves are shoe sales people and eavesdropping customers who think they are experts on PF and get irritated when you don't follow their product. Every foot is different. No one shoe or insert will work with everyone.
Best wishes,
Beverly

John h on 11/27/01 at 17:05 (065434)

Everyone who is overweight or even a small percentage of them get PF so she is an idiot. Being overweight may or may not contribute to PF. Fact is no one really knows. Scott the guru is skinny an he has pf. weight is no factor in my pf. By the way name has got my attention. Please give me the origin if you do no mind.

DR Zuckerman on 11/27/01 at 18:21 (065444)

I have seen tall,short, large, small body frames with pf. In my opinion it is strictly a repetitive motion injury that has nothing to do with too much weight

Mahatmelissama on 11/27/01 at 18:36 (065446)

Hi there John,

when you say 'name', do you mean the name of the store or the lady who said that?

Mahatmelissama on 11/27/01 at 18:40 (065447)

Dr. Zuckerman,

I think though weight does aggravate that...I think that is what the lady meant.

John h on 11/27/01 at 19:34 (065449)

I mean Mahatmelisama! Mahat meliss ama?

Mahatmelissama on 11/27/01 at 19:54 (065453)

Here is the story of my name...if it is long, remember...YOU ASKED!!!

Back in 1988 or so, when I was about 20, there was no internet to mess around with so putting ads in the free weekly paper around here was considered good fun (right above the personal section...you could put in an ad greeting one of your friends or something sappy for your boyfriend)...well, they put in an ad making fun of this guy we knew 'who got drunk and blew chunks' and made a pass at one of our friends (oh...my was that poor guy mortified). Anyway, I decided to put in ad in following that add and called myself 'Mahatmelissama' to all of them.
(Mahat is what I used to call my glorified Nissan car...why? because I dated a series of Middle-Eastern guys at the time). the ma was put on the end because it sounds neat-o with Mahatmelissa.

The name STUCK. They even say it like this...'Ma-HOT-TI-TI-TA-Melissa-MAAAHHH'. I use that name most often whenever posting on a bb since it brings back good adolesant memories.

DR Zuckerman on 11/27/01 at 20:42 (065455)

IF I had to chose between losing weight and resting the foot . I would pick resting the foot. Now extra weight does have negative effects on your over all health but it isn't the cause of pf and losing weight can help but I have seen where it has no effect. So lost weight for your heart, lungs,
and joints

linda A on 11/27/01 at 21:20 (065457)

i have been 99 lbs --- and have been 210 lbs , both having feet problems . my normal wt was around 130 lbs ( loved to exercise ) . with the foot problems i have gained wt along w/ the meds i had to take w/ my bi-polar disease . i too spent alot of money on foot pads for the shoes starting off w/ the ones you buy in the regular store , to going to the podiatrist for hard orthotic , then going to the ' good feet store ' ----what a joke . should of readup on that one before i went there , but i was so deperate ( feet were killing me ) . that was $ 200 of my own money down the drain . then i had the surgery for p.f. and another set of hard orhtotics made because the pod. thought the foot had changed ( he was willing to pay for that ) . after all that i had another set of soft orthotics made that the pod. paid for out of his pocket ( truly a nice guy ) , but my fascia are so tight nothing can be done . so there i alot of money being spent on foot products . i even spent money on those water massage gadgets ( ha ha ha!!! ) ----- nothing really works , but staying off and resting after a hard day a work and reading john and everyone else's posts to keep me happy . oh i like how you came up w/ your name . linda a

john h on 11/28/01 at 08:56 (065483)

Suzanne: send me you email ((email removed)) and I will send you a 1st grade class picutre from over half century ago that your kids might enjoy. It is our class doing The Old Woman In The Shoe routine. That mean little girl Peggy is in it-bad memory.

Scott R on 11/28/01 at 17:32 (065536)

everytime john h posts he finds a new problem with the way the program makes links from email addresses. ((email removed))scott@heelspurs.com

Scott R on 11/28/01 at 17:33 (065537)

everytime john h posts he finds a new problem with the way the program makes links from email addresses. ( (email removed) ) scott@heelspurs.com

John h on 11/29/01 at 16:24 (065654)

Linda:you must remember to research as a number of us wondered into the good feet store and our best guess it was a ripoff. Off the shelf orthotics for $200 plus with a lot of dollars going into info commercials.