Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

post op 10 days

Posted by wallyh on 11/27/01 at 19:09 (065448)

Thanks to everyone here for your support through this ordeal. I had pf release 10 days ago. Yesterday I got the stitches removed and I'm out of the soft cast and into a regular sneaker without the orthotics. The doc told me to wait on that and that he would re-evaluate after about 6 weeks, but I'm basically spending that period of time healing up. I'm getting around with minimal pain, but it is a different kind of pain than I dealt with before the operation. It's feels like normal pain one would have after they have had an incisg surgeryion. I have no tingling, no sharp pain anywhere, just some discomfort in my heel. I have to admit though, I'm playing this one for all it's worth. No Christmas shopping, laying around on the couch, (except for my home therapy) and trying to con my girlfriend into waiting on me. I think she's on to me... Anyways, thanks and good luck to all. Surgery was a last option for me, but after 10 years of this suffering, I believe I made the right choice. If anyone is contempating surgery I would be glad to share my experience.

Thanks,
Wallace Hardin

Re: post op 10 days

Laurie R on 11/27/01 at 19:35 (065450)

Dear Wally , Thank you for your post. Also it is so wonderful to hear something so positive about surgery . My Pod has always told me ,when someone has a PF release and still is having a lot of pain , then the underline problem was not the PF .... I tend to agree with him on this. I think that is why their is so many failed PF surgeries .. I am sure some may disagree with this , but this is just my opinion....

My very best to you .... Laurie R

Suzanne D on 11/27/01 at 21:34 (065458)

I'm glad to hear that your surgery is past and that you are on the road to healing, Wally. After 10 years of suffering, it is certainly time for you to find some relief!!!

Take it easy, and may God bless you! I am sure your best Christmas present would be to find yourself healing with less and less pain. That is my wish for you.

Tammie on 11/29/01 at 08:58 (065608)

It was good to catch up on reading posts. I am so happy to hear that you are on the mend! Just remember it does seem to take time for healing and not to get discouraged if it does not go as fast as you would like! My prayers and thoughts are with u! And with 10 yrs behind you , you do deserve it for sure! You must be a very strong person I cannot even phantom thinking of it for 10 yrs.

wallyh on 11/29/01 at 10:28 (065612)

Laurie,

Thanks to you and others for your response. Yes, I was certainly
worried about the surgery, as I have never had any. I went to a Surgery Center which was much different from a hospital. (I can't even bear to be in a hospital for too long.) I was in at 6 for prep, operated on at 7, in recovery at 8, and out by 9. The facility was clean, quiet, and the staff was kind; they explained everything to me so I was left without a single question, and let me tell you I'm the inquisitive type.
I'm taking time with my healing and also taking early retirement in June from the type of work that caused this condition and will turn my attention to writing, which I now do part time. I have always been an avid outdoorsman and a traveller and am planning to hike across the Grand Canyon as soon as soon as that is possible, God willing.
I have learned a lot from this experience. My trust in doctors has increased. I hadn't really realized that I was living with chronic pain because I had gotten so used to it. I realize it made me nasty, irritable, at times. It is a problem with people who have a high threshold for pain, and I now have to pay closer attention to my body as I don't get the same signals that other people do. I now feel a lot more compassion for people who live with chronic pain, and have a better understanding of it. Another blessing/curse had been my ability to heal quickly, as I have a high white count and warm body temperature, so the on again off again nature of my ailment got really confusing to me. No matter how this turns out it has been an eye opening journey for me. If anyone has sent me e-mails I just discovered they were going into junk mail (which I usually delete without checking) so I apologize if I haven't responded and I will look through it more carefully in the future.

Thanks,
Wally

Laurie R on 11/27/01 at 19:35 (065450)

Dear Wally , Thank you for your post. Also it is so wonderful to hear something so positive about surgery . My Pod has always told me ,when someone has a PF release and still is having a lot of pain , then the underline problem was not the PF .... I tend to agree with him on this. I think that is why their is so many failed PF surgeries .. I am sure some may disagree with this , but this is just my opinion....

My very best to you .... Laurie R

Suzanne D on 11/27/01 at 21:34 (065458)

I'm glad to hear that your surgery is past and that you are on the road to healing, Wally. After 10 years of suffering, it is certainly time for you to find some relief!!!

Take it easy, and may God bless you! I am sure your best Christmas present would be to find yourself healing with less and less pain. That is my wish for you.

Tammie on 11/29/01 at 08:58 (065608)

It was good to catch up on reading posts. I am so happy to hear that you are on the mend! Just remember it does seem to take time for healing and not to get discouraged if it does not go as fast as you would like! My prayers and thoughts are with u! And with 10 yrs behind you , you do deserve it for sure! You must be a very strong person I cannot even phantom thinking of it for 10 yrs.

wallyh on 11/29/01 at 10:28 (065612)

Laurie,

Thanks to you and others for your response. Yes, I was certainly
worried about the surgery, as I have never had any. I went to a Surgery Center which was much different from a hospital. (I can't even bear to be in a hospital for too long.) I was in at 6 for prep, operated on at 7, in recovery at 8, and out by 9. The facility was clean, quiet, and the staff was kind; they explained everything to me so I was left without a single question, and let me tell you I'm the inquisitive type.
I'm taking time with my healing and also taking early retirement in June from the type of work that caused this condition and will turn my attention to writing, which I now do part time. I have always been an avid outdoorsman and a traveller and am planning to hike across the Grand Canyon as soon as soon as that is possible, God willing.
I have learned a lot from this experience. My trust in doctors has increased. I hadn't really realized that I was living with chronic pain because I had gotten so used to it. I realize it made me nasty, irritable, at times. It is a problem with people who have a high threshold for pain, and I now have to pay closer attention to my body as I don't get the same signals that other people do. I now feel a lot more compassion for people who live with chronic pain, and have a better understanding of it. Another blessing/curse had been my ability to heal quickly, as I have a high white count and warm body temperature, so the on again off again nature of my ailment got really confusing to me. No matter how this turns out it has been an eye opening journey for me. If anyone has sent me e-mails I just discovered they were going into junk mail (which I usually delete without checking) so I apologize if I haven't responded and I will look through it more carefully in the future.

Thanks,
Wally