Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Please tell me how to break in Birkenstocks!

Posted by ~~~~~e C on 11/27/01 at 22:40 (065468)

I finally got my first Birkenstocks today, and I knew from these message boards to only wear them 30 minutes today. So I did. They were like a dream come true..... they felt SO GOOD. I 'felt like I'd died and gone to heaven' as they say. The arch support did a lot of good things for me and it felt just right, not too high or too low. After 30 minutes I reluctantly took them off. I think they are just what my poor feet have been screaming for.

My question is, how long can I keep them on tomorrow, and the next day, and so on? Is there a recommended amount of time? Do you go by minutes or by how they feel?

I asked in the shoes section of the message board, but it was kind of an obscure post way down in a thread, and it doesn't look like anybody noticed it, so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks for any ideas or info.

~~~~~e

Re: Please tell me how to break in Birkenstocks!

~~~~~e C on 11/27/01 at 22:41 (065469)

the message starting the thread was by me... my firewall can't read my mind! Sorry LOL

Re: aargh!

Carole C on 11/27/01 at 22:41 (065470)

grrrrrr

Carole C

Julie on 11/28/01 at 02:53 (065476)

Carole, I replied to your first question on the other thread.

Carole C on 11/28/01 at 09:33 (065489)

Thanks! I responded there. It's very helpful to get this today so thank you for your prompt post.

Carole

Re: here's how

elliott on 11/28/01 at 13:32 (065504)

You put them on the first day and they feel so good that you leave them on almost the whole day. The next day your feet ache since they didn't have a chance to get used to the bumps. You don't wear them at all this second day. Third day you start over. But you're still sore from day one. So you stick it out for an hour. Fourth day, you last two hours, feeling pretty good again. Fifth day, you what the heck and wear it the whole day, and then have another setback, but not as severe as the aftershocks of day one. Next day...well, you get the picture :-) When you buy your next pair of Birks, repeat above procedure.

Oh, don't listen to me. :-) I think a pedorthist here recently said to start at 30 minutes or so and add 30-40 minutes a day.

Carole C on 11/28/01 at 14:48 (065514)

(giggle)

Thanks! I think I'll try the second plan, starting at 30 minutes (which I already did yesterday) and adding 30-40 minutes a day.

I can sure see why plan 1 is tempting! But I promise I'll be good. :)

Carole

Re: a revelation

~~~~~e C on 11/28/01 at 18:46 (065550)

Well, I wore them 1 hour today (day 2) and I suddenly figured out why they need to be broken in. My shins and legs and even my thighs were feeling it, because I'm using muscles I didn't know I had. They are still wonderful, but I'm glad I am doing this carefully.

~~~~~e

Necee on 11/29/01 at 00:03 (065588)

Well you made a good investment in buying your Birks. I bought my first pair in July, and to tell you the truth I wouldn't be able to walk without them.
I wore mine for about 30 minutes the first day and gradually increased it each day. It's amazing how I could tell a difference immediately when I first tried them on in the shoe store. They helped so much that I went back and purchased another pair about a month later. My job requires me being on my feet a lot, so I know that I wouldn't be able to work without them on.
Hope you enjoy yours and that they help you as much as mine have.
Happy trails......
Necee

BG CPed on 11/29/01 at 07:07 (065598)

Where did you buy them Carole? Why didnt they give you break in instructions? Was it from a store or clinic or off the web? I was just curious if the Birk website themselves sold them and didnt give you any instructions.

Carole C on 11/29/01 at 09:00 (065609)

I wanted to try them on in person, rather than buying them off the net, for a couple of reasons. Here's why.

First, while they suit me quite well, my feet are sort of 'non-standard shape' (big toe not longer than the others, somewhat wide foot, and so fairly squared off in shape with very little arch and toes a little separated from each other), and the size I wear can vary considerably depending on the type of shoe. Second, I do not like buying things online any more, for this reason: I had a bad experience in August where a hacker charged a high end Dell laptop to my debit card, and I don't have a credit card. It's all fixed now, and I have a new debit card and a firewall, but I prefer to buy things in person *especially* something like shoes that don't usually fit me unless I try several sizes of the same shoe.

Also, I wanted them right away.

The Birkenstock website store locator was not helpful, with only two stores in my area mentioned and the first one I checked was out of business, but I had seen them in a local department store. I am trying to rest my feet, and I knew which door was right next to the shoes at the dept store, so I chose to buy them there rather than to investigate any further.

The sales lady told me I could only wear them a half hour the first day, which I already knew from this website. When I asked her about the following days, she was evasive and told me that the foot could sort of 'reject' the Birkenstocks if I wore them too much, and that I should be careful. I thought she did a pretty good job for someone working in a Department store. At least she knew about the breakin period! They only had one style of birkinstock in a 40 (my size) or 41 (the size I tried first), 'Florida', so that is what I bought. The price was one that only an ignorant person or a person in desperation would accept. I fit in the latter category these days. LOL

Sorry about the long-winded nature of this answer. :)

Carole C

~~~~~e C on 11/27/01 at 22:41 (065469)

the message starting the thread was by me... my firewall can't read my mind! Sorry LOL

Re: aargh!

Carole C on 11/27/01 at 22:41 (065470)

grrrrrr

Carole C

Julie on 11/28/01 at 02:53 (065476)

Carole, I replied to your first question on the other thread.

Carole C on 11/28/01 at 09:33 (065489)

Thanks! I responded there. It's very helpful to get this today so thank you for your prompt post.

Carole

elliott on 11/28/01 at 13:32 (065504)

You put them on the first day and they feel so good that you leave them on almost the whole day. The next day your feet ache since they didn't have a chance to get used to the bumps. You don't wear them at all this second day. Third day you start over. But you're still sore from day one. So you stick it out for an hour. Fourth day, you last two hours, feeling pretty good again. Fifth day, you what the heck and wear it the whole day, and then have another setback, but not as severe as the aftershocks of day one. Next day...well, you get the picture :-) When you buy your next pair of Birks, repeat above procedure.

Oh, don't listen to me. :-) I think a pedorthist here recently said to start at 30 minutes or so and add 30-40 minutes a day.

Carole C on 11/28/01 at 14:48 (065514)

(giggle)

Thanks! I think I'll try the second plan, starting at 30 minutes (which I already did yesterday) and adding 30-40 minutes a day.

I can sure see why plan 1 is tempting! But I promise I'll be good. :)

Carole

~~~~~e C on 11/28/01 at 18:46 (065550)

Well, I wore them 1 hour today (day 2) and I suddenly figured out why they need to be broken in. My shins and legs and even my thighs were feeling it, because I'm using muscles I didn't know I had. They are still wonderful, but I'm glad I am doing this carefully.

~~~~~e

Necee on 11/29/01 at 00:03 (065588)

Well you made a good investment in buying your Birks. I bought my first pair in July, and to tell you the truth I wouldn't be able to walk without them.
I wore mine for about 30 minutes the first day and gradually increased it each day. It's amazing how I could tell a difference immediately when I first tried them on in the shoe store. They helped so much that I went back and purchased another pair about a month later. My job requires me being on my feet a lot, so I know that I wouldn't be able to work without them on.
Hope you enjoy yours and that they help you as much as mine have.
Happy trails......
Necee

BG CPed on 11/29/01 at 07:07 (065598)

Where did you buy them Carole? Why didnt they give you break in instructions? Was it from a store or clinic or off the web? I was just curious if the Birk website themselves sold them and didnt give you any instructions.

Carole C on 11/29/01 at 09:00 (065609)

I wanted to try them on in person, rather than buying them off the net, for a couple of reasons. Here's why.

First, while they suit me quite well, my feet are sort of 'non-standard shape' (big toe not longer than the others, somewhat wide foot, and so fairly squared off in shape with very little arch and toes a little separated from each other), and the size I wear can vary considerably depending on the type of shoe. Second, I do not like buying things online any more, for this reason: I had a bad experience in August where a hacker charged a high end Dell laptop to my debit card, and I don't have a credit card. It's all fixed now, and I have a new debit card and a firewall, but I prefer to buy things in person *especially* something like shoes that don't usually fit me unless I try several sizes of the same shoe.

Also, I wanted them right away.

The Birkenstock website store locator was not helpful, with only two stores in my area mentioned and the first one I checked was out of business, but I had seen them in a local department store. I am trying to rest my feet, and I knew which door was right next to the shoes at the dept store, so I chose to buy them there rather than to investigate any further.

The sales lady told me I could only wear them a half hour the first day, which I already knew from this website. When I asked her about the following days, she was evasive and told me that the foot could sort of 'reject' the Birkenstocks if I wore them too much, and that I should be careful. I thought she did a pretty good job for someone working in a Department store. At least she knew about the breakin period! They only had one style of birkinstock in a 40 (my size) or 41 (the size I tried first), 'Florida', so that is what I bought. The price was one that only an ignorant person or a person in desperation would accept. I fit in the latter category these days. LOL

Sorry about the long-winded nature of this answer. :)

Carole C