Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Let It Snow.....Let It Snow.....Let It Snow............

Posted by Necee on 11/28/01 at 12:34 (065496)

Greetings from Texas.
Hope y'all are having a good day, we are experiencing some wintery weather here in the Lonestar state, which is a very unusual occurence for my area. Of course the panhandle of Texas is use to it but not so much where I live, so everyone is excited about the 'slight chance of snow' that our usually accurate weatherman predicted.
So as I pack away my Fall decorations today and begin getting ready for Christmas for once its Christmaslike weather! In years past I would be stringing christmas lights and decorating the house is 70* weather. I'm sure some of y'all in other parts of the country would love to put up lights without first having to shovel ice and snow out of your way, but here in Texas its about time we had some of that wintery blast. Because of the mild winters in the past we have been overrun with insects. The farmers have delt with Grasshoppers and army worms for the past three years, and we need the cold weather to kill them off, if not, next summer will be a disaster.
So as I await Old Man Winter, the pipes are wrapped outside, the cars are winterized, and I've got a good supply of hot chocolate and counted crosstitch to keep me occupied on these cold winter evenings, not to mention chatting with my dear friends from the heelspurs board. That, which by the way has turned out to be one of the best therapys that I've had in a long time. I've made some wonderful friends here, people who truely care and understand, we've all had some great conversations and I'm looking forward to many more good times with y'all. All of you newbies to the board are really missing out if your not chatting with us.
OH MY!!!!!! Are my eyes deceiving me???? I think I just saw a snowflake out my window!!! Gotta go........... *******ok, I've got my snow shoes, my snow shovel, mittens, coat, ok....I need a chunk of coal for his eyes and a carrot stick for his nose.......I love snowmen!!!!******

With Love, prayers and Happy Trails to you.......
Necee

Re: Let It Snow.....Let It Snow.....Let It Snow............

Carole C on 11/28/01 at 13:00 (065499)

Oh, how neat! Enjoy, enjoy!

Here in New Orleans, it was 72 when I got to work at 6 AM this morning. We are watching the cold weather to our northwest and anticipating its onset this weekend, unless it stalls out.

Carole

Beverly on 11/28/01 at 13:04 (065501)

Necee,

I'm in DFW area, and yes, it is cold, cold, cold! Had to go to doctor today, and I was very grateful that the ice hasn't started yet. My big thrill was wearing a new coat ensemble from Land's End. I left in red coat, hat, gloves, and scarf... all in Polartec fleece.

Tucked in for the rest of the day. I figure people with foot/ankle problems don't need to be out walking in slick weather.
See ya,
Beverly

Laurie R on 11/28/01 at 15:23 (065518)

Dear Necee , What a fun post .... Tell me did it snow ?? It is very cold here today also , no snow though ... Their is a big storm coming in tonight and it is suppose to get even colder and heavy rains , hey ya never know maybe it will snow ..... That would be so wonderful. Now I just hope the power does not go out ,then that would mean no computer... Oh what would I do then ???

Ok I have to get ready for my PM appointment . He will tell me what will be next. They had to change my Friday appointment for today .... Better for me , I like to just get it over with ... Plus I want to be home before this storm hits..

Much love Necee ,and always thinking about you .....

Your friend ,Laurie R

Re: Wow! Snow!

Suzanne D on 11/28/01 at 16:48 (065531)

Dear Necee,
I enjoyed reading your post! I could feel the excitement in your writing!
Here in KY we sometimes get snow, and then there are winters when we don't get any. I always get as excited as a child when I see the snow falling! About 4 years ago, it started snowing while we were at school - those huge snowflakes that seem as big as quarters, falling thick and fast with no wind blowing. We all looked out the windows, then I said to the children, 'Get your coats on quickly! Let's take a little walk!' They looked at me startled for a minute, then hurried to get wrapped up. We didn't stay outside more than 5 minutes, but we laughed and caught snowflakes on our tongues, and the children delighted in seeing the snow coating my hair! It was a magic moment, something special I remember about that year.
I'm glad you had your weather today as you began to get ready for Christmas!

JudyS on 11/28/01 at 18:28 (065541)

Necee - here in Southern California the temp is at a record-setting low for this time of year and we're loving it! (At least THIS midwest girl is!) I love getting bundled up in warm sweaters and coats and going for a walk. What's that low, some of you real-winter folks may ask? Would you believe 40 degrees at my house and freezing about ten miles east of me? Alas, no snow here though. Have a cup of hot chocolate for me! Or perhaps I'll see you on IM and we can 'share' a cup.

Tammie on 11/28/01 at 18:39 (065547)

Yes snow is beautiful till u drive in it or I should say try to !!! Being as we live in the Lake Erie snow belt we sure get plenty of the white stuff! But not yet been to warm its raining still here. Unusual tho we usually have snow by now so sure in time we will get dumped on!

I think the snow is pretty and like to look at it and even venture out and shovel drive , been known to have a few snowball fights and wrestle on front deck lol. I never got the courage to get on snowmobiles tho kids and hubby loved it but me I am a bit scared. One christmas about 7 or 8 yrs ago it was about mid 50s or so and hubby was mowing lawn . That is very unusal here and most likly will be several years before we see that again! But he tells the story to all as hard to believe . Cocoa oh now that is a must on those cold evenings with marshmallows of course, yummm! If I settle with it I am good I buy the fat free or the 25 calorie one lol so not to feel guilty for such a splurge.But make up with marshmallows or fat free cool whip . Now u are making me think about those soon to be cold days ahead, hold off tho hubby just ordered some new windows to insulate better! What nice thoughts here.

wendyn on 11/28/01 at 19:23 (065558)

Ha.

Where I am it has been snowing since last Friday. We now have plenty.

The temp is a balmy 0 to 5 degree Farenheit or so.

Those of you who long for winter are welcome to come and enjoy.

You can have it.

JudyS on 11/28/01 at 19:26 (065559)

will you serve us hot cocoa with marshmallows if we come? :)

Carole C on 11/28/01 at 20:53 (065569)

I think we should ask her for a roaring fire in the fireplace, and we can toast those marshmallows while we drink the hot cocoa.

We're on our way!!!

Carole C

Beverly on 11/28/01 at 20:54 (065570)

Well, you know to Texans, three snow flakes is a winter weather advisory. We have a little ice and schools are closing... get a little more and the city grinds to a halt. I don't know how to drive in the stuff and I'm smart enough to stay off the road.

I think having an orthopedic condition in the northeast would be difficult.
Beverly

Carole C on 11/28/01 at 22:02 (065580)

They said we're going to get the cold weather tomorrow in New Orleans! No snow predicted, but temperatures down in the thirties on Friday. Considering that today our high was 78 and low was 71, that's quite a drop! Should be fun. The weatherman suggested taking coats and sweaters in the morning, whether it's cold yet or not. How exciting!

I wonder if the cold works like ice on our feet? Maybe it will feel good. :)

Carole C

wendyn on 11/28/01 at 23:25 (065585)

You bet.

I can offer you a fire place, but no roaring - alas we have fireplaces but they are gas fireplaces. Fast, neat and effective - but they don't sound nearly as nice.

Necee on 11/28/01 at 23:52 (065587)

Winter wouldn't be Winter without being able to back up to a stone fireplace with a roaring fire. Aahh.....theres somthing about the smell of wood burning....Gotta love it!!
Necee

Julie on 11/29/01 at 02:53 (065593)

I'm off, Wendy. Sometimes I think the thing I miss most here in London, where each season tails off into the next and in a bad year there's not much difference between them, is the New York snows of my childhood. Once we had two feet in a single night. I took my medium-sized dog for a walk. The snow was about as high as he was and he had to make great leaps to get through it. He seemed to enjoy it - I did too.

Get that fireplace going and we'll all go for a barefoot walk in the snow and gather round it afterwards.

wendyn on 11/29/01 at 07:56 (065601)

Yea....but then you gotta clean it.

JudyS on 11/29/01 at 11:05 (065617)

well actually, the husband has to clean it..........:)

john h on 11/29/01 at 11:05 (065618)

Neecee: I do not know where in the panhandle you are but I spent some time in Amarillo and Wichita Falls and I sure remember the billions of grass hoppers and the dust storms that i could not top in my B-25 at 15,000 feet. After one of these dust storms my home would be like the desert inside the house. You could not keep the dust out. Do you still have those things? And yes there really is 'tumbleweed' just like in the song The Son's of The Pioneers sang.

john h on 11/29/01 at 11:08 (065619)

It has been raining for 3 days and 3 nights in Little Rock with ice and snow in north Arkansas. Our temp has been in the 30's at night and 40's in the day.

john h on 11/29/01 at 11:17 (065621)

Julie: I spent many nights around a big fire stove in the WWII barracks at Mildenhall. That was the only heat we had in the open barracks and we all huddled around the stove until bedtime. It was always nicer if I had enouhg time to go into London and stay in a classy hotel. Seems like all the pubs i remember had fire places and a lot of atmoshpere. My rememberance of London in the winter is cold and really damp. London is north of New York on the meridians.

Julie on 11/29/01 at 16:30 (065655)

John, London is very much north of New York, but not nearly so cold in winter, on account of the Gulf Stream's warm currents. The barracks at Mildenhall must have been diabolically cold, though.

wendyn on 11/30/01 at 09:19 (065708)

And this morning it's a beautiful -12F with the windchill.

Lovely....

Are you folks still coming?

We had a consultant come in from Atlanta yesterday. Poor lady - 75 degree temperature change in one day for her might be a bit much.

I wonder if she brought her touque?

Carole C on 11/28/01 at 13:00 (065499)

Oh, how neat! Enjoy, enjoy!

Here in New Orleans, it was 72 when I got to work at 6 AM this morning. We are watching the cold weather to our northwest and anticipating its onset this weekend, unless it stalls out.

Carole

Beverly on 11/28/01 at 13:04 (065501)

Necee,

I'm in DFW area, and yes, it is cold, cold, cold! Had to go to doctor today, and I was very grateful that the ice hasn't started yet. My big thrill was wearing a new coat ensemble from Land's End. I left in red coat, hat, gloves, and scarf... all in Polartec fleece.

Tucked in for the rest of the day. I figure people with foot/ankle problems don't need to be out walking in slick weather.
See ya,
Beverly

Laurie R on 11/28/01 at 15:23 (065518)

Dear Necee , What a fun post .... Tell me did it snow ?? It is very cold here today also , no snow though ... Their is a big storm coming in tonight and it is suppose to get even colder and heavy rains , hey ya never know maybe it will snow ..... That would be so wonderful. Now I just hope the power does not go out ,then that would mean no computer... Oh what would I do then ???

Ok I have to get ready for my PM appointment . He will tell me what will be next. They had to change my Friday appointment for today .... Better for me , I like to just get it over with ... Plus I want to be home before this storm hits..

Much love Necee ,and always thinking about you .....

Your friend ,Laurie R

Re: Wow! Snow!

Suzanne D on 11/28/01 at 16:48 (065531)

Dear Necee,
I enjoyed reading your post! I could feel the excitement in your writing!
Here in KY we sometimes get snow, and then there are winters when we don't get any. I always get as excited as a child when I see the snow falling! About 4 years ago, it started snowing while we were at school - those huge snowflakes that seem as big as quarters, falling thick and fast with no wind blowing. We all looked out the windows, then I said to the children, 'Get your coats on quickly! Let's take a little walk!' They looked at me startled for a minute, then hurried to get wrapped up. We didn't stay outside more than 5 minutes, but we laughed and caught snowflakes on our tongues, and the children delighted in seeing the snow coating my hair! It was a magic moment, something special I remember about that year.
I'm glad you had your weather today as you began to get ready for Christmas!

JudyS on 11/28/01 at 18:28 (065541)

Necee - here in Southern California the temp is at a record-setting low for this time of year and we're loving it! (At least THIS midwest girl is!) I love getting bundled up in warm sweaters and coats and going for a walk. What's that low, some of you real-winter folks may ask? Would you believe 40 degrees at my house and freezing about ten miles east of me? Alas, no snow here though. Have a cup of hot chocolate for me! Or perhaps I'll see you on IM and we can 'share' a cup.

Tammie on 11/28/01 at 18:39 (065547)

Yes snow is beautiful till u drive in it or I should say try to !!! Being as we live in the Lake Erie snow belt we sure get plenty of the white stuff! But not yet been to warm its raining still here. Unusual tho we usually have snow by now so sure in time we will get dumped on!

I think the snow is pretty and like to look at it and even venture out and shovel drive , been known to have a few snowball fights and wrestle on front deck lol. I never got the courage to get on snowmobiles tho kids and hubby loved it but me I am a bit scared. One christmas about 7 or 8 yrs ago it was about mid 50s or so and hubby was mowing lawn . That is very unusal here and most likly will be several years before we see that again! But he tells the story to all as hard to believe . Cocoa oh now that is a must on those cold evenings with marshmallows of course, yummm! If I settle with it I am good I buy the fat free or the 25 calorie one lol so not to feel guilty for such a splurge.But make up with marshmallows or fat free cool whip . Now u are making me think about those soon to be cold days ahead, hold off tho hubby just ordered some new windows to insulate better! What nice thoughts here.

wendyn on 11/28/01 at 19:23 (065558)

Ha.

Where I am it has been snowing since last Friday. We now have plenty.

The temp is a balmy 0 to 5 degree Farenheit or so.

Those of you who long for winter are welcome to come and enjoy.

You can have it.

JudyS on 11/28/01 at 19:26 (065559)

will you serve us hot cocoa with marshmallows if we come? :)

Carole C on 11/28/01 at 20:53 (065569)

I think we should ask her for a roaring fire in the fireplace, and we can toast those marshmallows while we drink the hot cocoa.

We're on our way!!!

Carole C

Beverly on 11/28/01 at 20:54 (065570)

Well, you know to Texans, three snow flakes is a winter weather advisory. We have a little ice and schools are closing... get a little more and the city grinds to a halt. I don't know how to drive in the stuff and I'm smart enough to stay off the road.

I think having an orthopedic condition in the northeast would be difficult.
Beverly

Carole C on 11/28/01 at 22:02 (065580)

They said we're going to get the cold weather tomorrow in New Orleans! No snow predicted, but temperatures down in the thirties on Friday. Considering that today our high was 78 and low was 71, that's quite a drop! Should be fun. The weatherman suggested taking coats and sweaters in the morning, whether it's cold yet or not. How exciting!

I wonder if the cold works like ice on our feet? Maybe it will feel good. :)

Carole C

wendyn on 11/28/01 at 23:25 (065585)

You bet.

I can offer you a fire place, but no roaring - alas we have fireplaces but they are gas fireplaces. Fast, neat and effective - but they don't sound nearly as nice.

Necee on 11/28/01 at 23:52 (065587)

Winter wouldn't be Winter without being able to back up to a stone fireplace with a roaring fire. Aahh.....theres somthing about the smell of wood burning....Gotta love it!!
Necee

Julie on 11/29/01 at 02:53 (065593)

I'm off, Wendy. Sometimes I think the thing I miss most here in London, where each season tails off into the next and in a bad year there's not much difference between them, is the New York snows of my childhood. Once we had two feet in a single night. I took my medium-sized dog for a walk. The snow was about as high as he was and he had to make great leaps to get through it. He seemed to enjoy it - I did too.

Get that fireplace going and we'll all go for a barefoot walk in the snow and gather round it afterwards.

wendyn on 11/29/01 at 07:56 (065601)

Yea....but then you gotta clean it.

JudyS on 11/29/01 at 11:05 (065617)

well actually, the husband has to clean it..........:)

john h on 11/29/01 at 11:05 (065618)

Neecee: I do not know where in the panhandle you are but I spent some time in Amarillo and Wichita Falls and I sure remember the billions of grass hoppers and the dust storms that i could not top in my B-25 at 15,000 feet. After one of these dust storms my home would be like the desert inside the house. You could not keep the dust out. Do you still have those things? And yes there really is 'tumbleweed' just like in the song The Son's of The Pioneers sang.

john h on 11/29/01 at 11:08 (065619)

It has been raining for 3 days and 3 nights in Little Rock with ice and snow in north Arkansas. Our temp has been in the 30's at night and 40's in the day.

john h on 11/29/01 at 11:17 (065621)

Julie: I spent many nights around a big fire stove in the WWII barracks at Mildenhall. That was the only heat we had in the open barracks and we all huddled around the stove until bedtime. It was always nicer if I had enouhg time to go into London and stay in a classy hotel. Seems like all the pubs i remember had fire places and a lot of atmoshpere. My rememberance of London in the winter is cold and really damp. London is north of New York on the meridians.

Julie on 11/29/01 at 16:30 (065655)

John, London is very much north of New York, but not nearly so cold in winter, on account of the Gulf Stream's warm currents. The barracks at Mildenhall must have been diabolically cold, though.

wendyn on 11/30/01 at 09:19 (065708)

And this morning it's a beautiful -12F with the windchill.

Lovely....

Are you folks still coming?

We had a consultant come in from Atlanta yesterday. Poor lady - 75 degree temperature change in one day for her might be a bit much.

I wonder if she brought her touque?