Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Gotta tell y'all about my trip!!

Posted by Necee on 11/28/01 at 15:55 (065523)

My hubby and I took an anniversary trip to the Texas Hill Country last week.
I had always wanted to go to this resort called Canyon of the Eagles, but never thought I'd get to go. Well when we decided to take this trip, my hubby suggested that we just head out for the hill country of south Texas. So as we were driving along on our first day out he hands me this envelope, it has his name on it and the return address said Canyon of the Eagles, inside I found a confirmation letter for two nights lodging at their resort. Boy was I surprised! At that point we were about an hour away from the resort and I could hardly wait to get there. Its a 15 mile drive along a county road once you turn off the main road, the roadway winds along cliffs and past waterfalls, it was really a pretty drive. Our cabin was nestled in the woods alongside the cliffs. Each cabin has a porch with rockers so I felt right at home! After dining on a wonderful meal in the resort restaurant, which by the way offers a panoramic view of the hills and lake, we enjoyed a hot cup of coffee on our porch and listened to the many night sounds. The next morning after breakfast in the restaurant we decided to take a hike along the many miles of trails there. Having my Birkenstock hiking boots, I was confident I could do it, with the helping hand of my hubby and a stick I found along the trail which I used as a walking cane, I hiked 2 miles up steep hills and over rocks, the trail was very primitive but I wasn't going to let that stop me, and even though it was hard for me I did it,and it felt sooooo....gooood!
They have an observatory there for star gazers and so we went to the star gazing area the second night. That was really nice.
We took a river cruise on the third day to view the Bald Eagles, they migrate to that area every winter, so it was a real treat to get to see them.
Of course on our way meandering back home we stopped in every antique shop. I did manage to get a few things!!!
We had a wonderful time and I can't wait to do it all over again.
Happy Trails.....
Necee

Re: Gotta tell y'all about my trip!!

Suzanne D on 11/28/01 at 21:16 (065573)

How nice for you to get to do something you have dreamed of doing! And hiking 2 miles - I am impressed! Good for you, Necee! :-)

Janet C on 11/28/01 at 21:42 (065574)

WOW Necee! It sounds like a dream of a trip! And how very WONDERFUL of your husband to surprise you like that! I am so very happy for you!!! After wearing your Birkenstock hiking boots, your feet haven't been hurting as a result of all your extra activities?! I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling better!

Wishing you the best always, Janet

nancy s. on 11/29/01 at 05:41 (065595)

antique shop? did somebody say antique shop? necee! what did you buy? did you buy to keep or to sell? i saw your nice post to me about our interest/work-in-common a little while ago, but i had only about two minutes on the computer that day (we just moved) and couldn't respond. we are working on the new house AND on the shop ten feet from it that will be my very own antiques shop.
i think you asked me what i like, and i guess i have to say i'm 100% eclectic: primitives both functional and aesthetic; old pottery (and i don't care if they show their age with lines, cracks, chips, spots); furniture with old paint; anything with old paint; most of all, old tins. i don't go for much glass, because it's too shiny and also i break it. i could win a glass-breaking contest without trying. what do you like? please tell me more about your job with the auction house.
nice trip you had! i'm looking forward to the occasional trip again, when once again i'll be able to grab the steering wheel from my husband and veer us off the road into every junkyard and shop parking lot we come across. PF prevented this for two years -- but i'm back on the horse now! can't walk forever, but can walk long enough. my gratitude is unending.
nancy

Tammie on 11/29/01 at 08:52 (065606)

Necee I am so jelouse it sounded like the perfect getaway!!! I am so glad you had the chance to enjoy your special time! And I thank you for sharing it with us also, as it sounds very relaxing!I would enjoy this allot but my hubby he would prefer a nice hotel with nice beds and whirlpools lol!

I once asked him why we dont go camping with the boys he said as long as you take a bed for me ok! He was of course at that time not in pain from his RA but still liked comfort. As you might guess we never went. But I was known to sleep in tent in yard with kids of course on ground no bed hehehehe! We are very different in ways, I would love hiking and nature he would prefer to go to museums or the movies with people around ! I like the quietness of nature . Strange huh bet u wouldnt have guessed that . Well in any case I sure am glad that u enjoyed a nice getaway!!! You sure deserve it ! Love and hugs to u! I cant wait till u are off so we might get to chat more often!

Re: To Nancy S.

Necee on 11/29/01 at 12:28 (065634)

Yes Nancy we do have a lot in common! I like you enjoy primitives, old crocks, quilts, etc. You are living my dream! I one day want to have my very own antique shop. Oh course working at an antique auction allows me the opportunity to see all kinds of stuff. I have bought a few things, mostly for myself and to give as gifts. My favorite I guess would have to be American antiques, that is what I have most of in my home.
If your ever looking for anything in particular please let me know, I might be able to find it for you. You mention old painted furniture....well we have lots of that come through our auction, we call it Shabby Chic, its a very hot item in Texas right now.
Well, good to hear from you, and good luck as you pursue your dream.
Lets keep in touch, I'd love to visit more when you get caught up.
Happy trails........
Necee

Suzanne D on 11/28/01 at 21:16 (065573)

How nice for you to get to do something you have dreamed of doing! And hiking 2 miles - I am impressed! Good for you, Necee! :-)

Janet C on 11/28/01 at 21:42 (065574)

WOW Necee! It sounds like a dream of a trip! And how very WONDERFUL of your husband to surprise you like that! I am so very happy for you!!! After wearing your Birkenstock hiking boots, your feet haven't been hurting as a result of all your extra activities?! I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling better!

Wishing you the best always, Janet

nancy s. on 11/29/01 at 05:41 (065595)

antique shop? did somebody say antique shop? necee! what did you buy? did you buy to keep or to sell? i saw your nice post to me about our interest/work-in-common a little while ago, but i had only about two minutes on the computer that day (we just moved) and couldn't respond. we are working on the new house AND on the shop ten feet from it that will be my very own antiques shop.
i think you asked me what i like, and i guess i have to say i'm 100% eclectic: primitives both functional and aesthetic; old pottery (and i don't care if they show their age with lines, cracks, chips, spots); furniture with old paint; anything with old paint; most of all, old tins. i don't go for much glass, because it's too shiny and also i break it. i could win a glass-breaking contest without trying. what do you like? please tell me more about your job with the auction house.
nice trip you had! i'm looking forward to the occasional trip again, when once again i'll be able to grab the steering wheel from my husband and veer us off the road into every junkyard and shop parking lot we come across. PF prevented this for two years -- but i'm back on the horse now! can't walk forever, but can walk long enough. my gratitude is unending.
nancy

Tammie on 11/29/01 at 08:52 (065606)

Necee I am so jelouse it sounded like the perfect getaway!!! I am so glad you had the chance to enjoy your special time! And I thank you for sharing it with us also, as it sounds very relaxing!I would enjoy this allot but my hubby he would prefer a nice hotel with nice beds and whirlpools lol!

I once asked him why we dont go camping with the boys he said as long as you take a bed for me ok! He was of course at that time not in pain from his RA but still liked comfort. As you might guess we never went. But I was known to sleep in tent in yard with kids of course on ground no bed hehehehe! We are very different in ways, I would love hiking and nature he would prefer to go to museums or the movies with people around ! I like the quietness of nature . Strange huh bet u wouldnt have guessed that . Well in any case I sure am glad that u enjoyed a nice getaway!!! You sure deserve it ! Love and hugs to u! I cant wait till u are off so we might get to chat more often!

Re: To Nancy S.

Necee on 11/29/01 at 12:28 (065634)

Yes Nancy we do have a lot in common! I like you enjoy primitives, old crocks, quilts, etc. You are living my dream! I one day want to have my very own antique shop. Oh course working at an antique auction allows me the opportunity to see all kinds of stuff. I have bought a few things, mostly for myself and to give as gifts. My favorite I guess would have to be American antiques, that is what I have most of in my home.
If your ever looking for anything in particular please let me know, I might be able to find it for you. You mention old painted furniture....well we have lots of that come through our auction, we call it Shabby Chic, its a very hot item in Texas right now.
Well, good to hear from you, and good luck as you pursue your dream.
Lets keep in touch, I'd love to visit more when you get caught up.
Happy trails........
Necee