Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel spurs

Posted by Amy on 11/30/01 at 21:09 (065784)

Dr., I have already been to a doctor due to heel pain and the diagnosis was plantar fa---- or heel spurs. X-rays were done and they were shown to me. I could not believe it! I have had heel pain for about 6+ years, but it never became dehibilitating until the last 6-12 mos. I've gone from 109 lbs. to over ...much heavier! (40+!) I am disgusted and depressed about my looks. I have not worn shorts for over two years due to cellulite, etc. It is hard to believe that only 5 yrs ago I was comfortable in a bikini and wearing spandex at the roller rink. (I also used to speed and dance skate since age 5). I have never been overweight and do not know what to do. My Dr. prescribed Xenical, however, I don't think it is enough. I have been thinking alot about bingeing/purgeing, exercising to obsession, etc. Please help!
Thank-you, Amy

Re: heel spurs

DR Zuckerman on 12/01/01 at 09:52 (065807)

Hi,

There are two things going on here. The second seems to be more important and I can understand how you feels. Lost of weight needs to be done with three things.

1. Proper nutrition
2. Excercise. only use biking, swimming at this time
3. You need to be under the care of both a podiatrist for the heel pain and a doctor who understands weight reduction. Medication is helpful but should be used in conjunction with excercise and proper nutrition.

What have you tried for your severe heel pain at this point?

Amy on 12/01/01 at 10:26 (065813)

so far I have tried ice, aspirin, heel cusions, stretching, massage and weight loss. I was only diagnosed with heel spurs about 2 mos. ago, so perhaps it is too soon to tell if anything is working. At times it seems to feel better, however, it primarily tends to depend on how much I've been on my feet, or how long I've been at rest.
Amy S.

Carole C on 12/01/01 at 13:12 (065827)

Amy, I am not a doctor and know very little about these things, but if you don't already have them possibly your doctor might recommend some good orthotics or Birkenstocks. I was diagnosed with heelspurs too, and the new Birkenstock shoes I got on Monday have made a HUGE difference for me.

The next most helpful things for me were rest and stretching, but you are already doing these. I hope you feel better soon.

Carole

++++++++

DR Zuckerman on 12/01/01 at 09:52 (065807)

Hi,

There are two things going on here. The second seems to be more important and I can understand how you feels. Lost of weight needs to be done with three things.

1. Proper nutrition
2. Excercise. only use biking, swimming at this time
3. You need to be under the care of both a podiatrist for the heel pain and a doctor who understands weight reduction. Medication is helpful but should be used in conjunction with excercise and proper nutrition.

What have you tried for your severe heel pain at this point?

Amy on 12/01/01 at 10:26 (065813)

so far I have tried ice, aspirin, heel cusions, stretching, massage and weight loss. I was only diagnosed with heel spurs about 2 mos. ago, so perhaps it is too soon to tell if anything is working. At times it seems to feel better, however, it primarily tends to depend on how much I've been on my feet, or how long I've been at rest.
Amy S.

Carole C on 12/01/01 at 13:12 (065827)

Amy, I am not a doctor and know very little about these things, but if you don't already have them possibly your doctor might recommend some good orthotics or Birkenstocks. I was diagnosed with heelspurs too, and the new Birkenstock shoes I got on Monday have made a HUGE difference for me.

The next most helpful things for me were rest and stretching, but you are already doing these. I hope you feel better soon.

Carole

++++++++