Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Physical Therapy for tendonitis and pf

Posted by Sherrie M. on 12/01/01 at 09:55 (065809)

Hi Dr.Z, When the therapist talked to you yesterday he said that I would start with pool therpy first. I did walking, bicycling, and wall stretches while in the water, when I was done there was swelling so we used ice for 10 minutes.Now for the weekend he wants me to towel stretch and ice the tendons.Does this sound like what I should be doing? I am concerned that I not use these tendons too much, or is the stretching necessary to get this stiff foot moving? The pain is so bad and I am not handling it well at all, I don't know weather it is the fibromyalgia that is also causing the intense pain, I usually get acupuncture but I haven't been for a while since my feet have flared up. The rheumatologist gave me ultram for pain. could I try it for a while for this tendonitis? Sherrie

Re: Physical Therapy for tendonitis and pf

DR Zuckerman on 12/01/01 at 10:02 (065811)

Hi,

I did talk to him yesterday. The goal was to take it slow with your foot.
Back off on the stretching at home. Yes the ultram is good. Rest. I have no problem answering your questions on heelspur.com if you don't mind. I do look at my own e-mail (email removed). So feel free to use either.
If you are having alot of pain after the pool workout cut back on the time of the work out. Say five minutes instead of ten minutes. Your body will tell you what you can and can't do.

Sherrie M. on 12/01/01 at 11:46 (065819)

I did pool exercises for about a half hour, maybe too much- but while i was in the pool I felt great. I am hoping that ultrasound and muscle stim will help, he said we will try that on Monday.I have read some horror stories about tendonitis on the message board and I am very fearful of this not going away, I don't want to do anything to hamper my recovery, so please bear with me as you have done in the passed, I'm sure you will be hearing from me quit frequently, I just thank god that I have you as my doc! I talked to Roxanne about the boot cast yesterday, I was wondering if feeling some burning in my foot and tendons was normal with getting used to the cast and should I keep the cast on all the time so that the foot doesn't pronate? Thanks Dr.Z, Sherrie

DR Zuckerman on 12/01/01 at 10:02 (065811)

Hi,

I did talk to him yesterday. The goal was to take it slow with your foot.
Back off on the stretching at home. Yes the ultram is good. Rest. I have no problem answering your questions on heelspur.com if you don't mind. I do look at my own e-mail (email removed). So feel free to use either.
If you are having alot of pain after the pool workout cut back on the time of the work out. Say five minutes instead of ten minutes. Your body will tell you what you can and can't do.

Sherrie M. on 12/01/01 at 11:46 (065819)

I did pool exercises for about a half hour, maybe too much- but while i was in the pool I felt great. I am hoping that ultrasound and muscle stim will help, he said we will try that on Monday.I have read some horror stories about tendonitis on the message board and I am very fearful of this not going away, I don't want to do anything to hamper my recovery, so please bear with me as you have done in the passed, I'm sure you will be hearing from me quit frequently, I just thank god that I have you as my doc! I talked to Roxanne about the boot cast yesterday, I was wondering if feeling some burning in my foot and tendons was normal with getting used to the cast and should I keep the cast on all the time so that the foot doesn't pronate? Thanks Dr.Z, Sherrie