Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

10 AM and pain free!!!! At least for now.

Posted by Carole C on 12/01/01 at 10:54 (065814)

This morning I put on my Birkenstocks first thing when I woke up. Despite my FEAR of Birkenstocks when I first appeared on this site (because their footbed seemed so hard, and my painful heel wanted softness!) they have been the best thing for me of all that I have tried.

I think/hope that maybe Birkenstocks in combination with a whole lot of rest, are helping me to heal. Could I be healing already? I am not in pain right now! What gives! LOL Well, maybe this is temporary. I know I posted once before about how much better I was feeling, but then got worse again after that.

I am going to wear my Birkenstocks longer today, because the footbed feels 'broken in' after 4 days (30 min, an hour, an hour and a half, 3 hours) and very comfy. Also, I am going to the grocery store. I have been doing nothing very much but going to work (and I have a desk job), for a week.

If I still feel no pain after the grocery store, I will rest a while and then maybe go to a pet store to buy some fish for my new aquarium. It will be so much fun if I can do something just because I *want* to do it!

Carole

-----

Re: after the grocery store

Carole C on 12/01/01 at 12:56 (065824)

I smiled my way through the grocery store... my feet felt like they were being *massaged* by my Floridas, and didn't hurt! People were staring at me because of my goofy smile, so I said things like 'I just love this season, don't you?' and so on, so they wouldn't think I was nuts. LOL

After getting home, I can tell that resting my feet for a couple of hours is in order.

It's hard for me to believe that just a week or two ago I was in such pain. Of course, I would probably still feel a lot of pain if I were barefoot, and thanks to this site I have been doing everything 'right' that I possibly can, I believe. I can relate to the sentiments on some gun-lovers bumper stickers, which I'll change here to 'You'll get my Birkenstocks from me when you pry them from my cold, dead feet!!!'

If I still feel this good on Monday, I think I'll cancel my appointment on the 10th with the pedorthist and use that money to order a second pair that would be passable at the more formal meetings at work. These occur every month or two for two or three days, and the guys wear suits and ties so I'd like to dress more formally. I usually wear a high quality black pants suit and wear my hair up, and Floridas just wouldn't work for that kind of attire. I used to wear black lace-up SAS shoes, and I'm hoping that Birkinstock has some sort of equivalent conservative lace-up shoe. Also, if I order from a cheap website like the German one, I might order some Arizonas just to try them when we aren't having meetings.

Wow, I was just reading another website that said that Birkenstocks were really popular with the hippy generation back in the sixties! Must have been another kind of hippy than the ones I hung out with in Berkeley back in the sixties, though, because I never had any and most of my friends back then wore whatever shoes were cheap, if any. LOL

Carole

Rebecca H on 12/01/01 at 13:20 (065828)

Carole

I love reading your messages. You seem like such an upbeat person! Congratulations on your progress. I'm in the break in period on both my Arizonas and my new custom orthotics. They both hurt in a good sortof way. Maybe my feet and ankles are having a longer adjustment than yours, but I'm not giving up yet. I'm hoping the soreness I feel is just a normal part of the break in. Anyway, happy shopping and have fun with your aquarium!

Carole C on 12/01/01 at 13:27 (065830)

It is easy to be upbeat when you don't hurt. You should see some of my earlier posts, when I was in a lot of pain and being crabby to people.

I am hoping that you are right about the break in! Probably I'm just lucky that apparently what my foot needed most was some arch support in a big way. LOL

It's nice to have some food in the house. I had been eating at a drive through Wendy's or else the same old stuff from my freezer all week, because I was trying to rest my feet. LOL

Carole

-------

Re: got two fish at the pet store

Carole C on 12/02/01 at 14:28 (065911)

Rebecca, I got two fish this afternoon. It seemed like it took forever to pick them out, get someone to help me, and wait through the line to buy them, and I'm glad to sit down and get off of my feet! Since I'm just starting my aquarium, I got two black mollies. They are pretty indestructible (hopefully). I've already named them Bert and Ernie, because their personalities are so different.

The medium sized one, Ernie, is solid black and very normal looking and perky. He adjusted to the new tank right away, and started eating and exploring. The bigger one, Ernie, has fancier looking fins (slightly) and is not solid black, though nearly so. He is a little more nervous. Once they were acclimated to the temperature, and to the water, I let them out of the bag to swim freely in the tank. Bert was pretty timid at first, but Ernie showed him around the tank and they are both happy and eating now.

Before I found Bert and Ernie, I cruised around neighborhoods that I liked, looking at the outsides of eight houses that are for sale, and dreaming about one day buying one so that I wouldn't have to pay rent in my retirement. So, it's been a pretty enjoyable day. I have been wearing my Floridas all day now, too, like yesterday, and I plan to wear them to work tomorrow for the first time. I'm not always completely pain free with them on, but it's a lot better than before. I do need to keep doing my stretching or my feet tell me that I didn't.

Carole

rebecca h on 12/02/01 at 16:06 (065916)

Hi Carole,

Your mollies sound nice! I have some young guppies. A couple months ago at Walmart I got a female. She had eight babies and promptly died. The babies are doing great though and some are starting to get beautiful tails. We also have a beta in a big glass vase with a philodendron plant. The children have a guinea pig, a gerbil, a rat (he's nice) and three finches. We are hoping to get a really gentle cat and a good-with-kids dog someday in the future. But not before I get this foot thing improved.

Happy Day!
Rebecca

Carole C on 12/02/01 at 17:03 (065923)

Wow, you really have the pets! I'll bet it's fun watching your baby guppies grow, especially the males with the lovely tails. Maybe you will have more babies when they get full grown. I want to get some guppies too, eventually, and maybe some platys but starting a tank with a couple of black mollies seems to be a nice start. I also want to put some rocks in the tank, so that it is less boring for them. So far, Bert and Ernie seem to be doing just fine.

Good idea about the dog. The foot thing (and the arthritis in the knees thing) is all that's keeping me from buying a puppy. My landlord will allow one under 20 pounds, with a deposit. But, dogs have to be walked and I can't do that. Cats don't, but my brother says that cats own you, rather than the other way around, so he says a cat wouldn't be good at this time for me either. Also, cats scratch on the furniture unless they are de-clawed, and unless they are shorthaired, they shed. Right now Bert and Ernie seem better suited to my life at present. :)

Carole

Carole C on 12/01/01 at 12:56 (065824)

I smiled my way through the grocery store... my feet felt like they were being *massaged* by my Floridas, and didn't hurt! People were staring at me because of my goofy smile, so I said things like 'I just love this season, don't you?' and so on, so they wouldn't think I was nuts. LOL

After getting home, I can tell that resting my feet for a couple of hours is in order.

It's hard for me to believe that just a week or two ago I was in such pain. Of course, I would probably still feel a lot of pain if I were barefoot, and thanks to this site I have been doing everything 'right' that I possibly can, I believe. I can relate to the sentiments on some gun-lovers bumper stickers, which I'll change here to 'You'll get my Birkenstocks from me when you pry them from my cold, dead feet!!!'

If I still feel this good on Monday, I think I'll cancel my appointment on the 10th with the pedorthist and use that money to order a second pair that would be passable at the more formal meetings at work. These occur every month or two for two or three days, and the guys wear suits and ties so I'd like to dress more formally. I usually wear a high quality black pants suit and wear my hair up, and Floridas just wouldn't work for that kind of attire. I used to wear black lace-up SAS shoes, and I'm hoping that Birkinstock has some sort of equivalent conservative lace-up shoe. Also, if I order from a cheap website like the German one, I might order some Arizonas just to try them when we aren't having meetings.

Wow, I was just reading another website that said that Birkenstocks were really popular with the hippy generation back in the sixties! Must have been another kind of hippy than the ones I hung out with in Berkeley back in the sixties, though, because I never had any and most of my friends back then wore whatever shoes were cheap, if any. LOL

Carole

Rebecca H on 12/01/01 at 13:20 (065828)

Carole

I love reading your messages. You seem like such an upbeat person! Congratulations on your progress. I'm in the break in period on both my Arizonas and my new custom orthotics. They both hurt in a good sortof way. Maybe my feet and ankles are having a longer adjustment than yours, but I'm not giving up yet. I'm hoping the soreness I feel is just a normal part of the break in. Anyway, happy shopping and have fun with your aquarium!

Carole C on 12/01/01 at 13:27 (065830)

It is easy to be upbeat when you don't hurt. You should see some of my earlier posts, when I was in a lot of pain and being crabby to people.

I am hoping that you are right about the break in! Probably I'm just lucky that apparently what my foot needed most was some arch support in a big way. LOL

It's nice to have some food in the house. I had been eating at a drive through Wendy's or else the same old stuff from my freezer all week, because I was trying to rest my feet. LOL

Carole

-------

Carole C on 12/02/01 at 14:28 (065911)

Rebecca, I got two fish this afternoon. It seemed like it took forever to pick them out, get someone to help me, and wait through the line to buy them, and I'm glad to sit down and get off of my feet! Since I'm just starting my aquarium, I got two black mollies. They are pretty indestructible (hopefully). I've already named them Bert and Ernie, because their personalities are so different.

The medium sized one, Ernie, is solid black and very normal looking and perky. He adjusted to the new tank right away, and started eating and exploring. The bigger one, Ernie, has fancier looking fins (slightly) and is not solid black, though nearly so. He is a little more nervous. Once they were acclimated to the temperature, and to the water, I let them out of the bag to swim freely in the tank. Bert was pretty timid at first, but Ernie showed him around the tank and they are both happy and eating now.

Before I found Bert and Ernie, I cruised around neighborhoods that I liked, looking at the outsides of eight houses that are for sale, and dreaming about one day buying one so that I wouldn't have to pay rent in my retirement. So, it's been a pretty enjoyable day. I have been wearing my Floridas all day now, too, like yesterday, and I plan to wear them to work tomorrow for the first time. I'm not always completely pain free with them on, but it's a lot better than before. I do need to keep doing my stretching or my feet tell me that I didn't.

Carole

rebecca h on 12/02/01 at 16:06 (065916)

Hi Carole,

Your mollies sound nice! I have some young guppies. A couple months ago at Walmart I got a female. She had eight babies and promptly died. The babies are doing great though and some are starting to get beautiful tails. We also have a beta in a big glass vase with a philodendron plant. The children have a guinea pig, a gerbil, a rat (he's nice) and three finches. We are hoping to get a really gentle cat and a good-with-kids dog someday in the future. But not before I get this foot thing improved.

Happy Day!
Rebecca

Carole C on 12/02/01 at 17:03 (065923)

Wow, you really have the pets! I'll bet it's fun watching your baby guppies grow, especially the males with the lovely tails. Maybe you will have more babies when they get full grown. I want to get some guppies too, eventually, and maybe some platys but starting a tank with a couple of black mollies seems to be a nice start. I also want to put some rocks in the tank, so that it is less boring for them. So far, Bert and Ernie seem to be doing just fine.

Good idea about the dog. The foot thing (and the arthritis in the knees thing) is all that's keeping me from buying a puppy. My landlord will allow one under 20 pounds, with a deposit. But, dogs have to be walked and I can't do that. Cats don't, but my brother says that cats own you, rather than the other way around, so he says a cat wouldn't be good at this time for me either. Also, cats scratch on the furniture unless they are de-clawed, and unless they are shorthaired, they shed. Right now Bert and Ernie seem better suited to my life at present. :)

Carole