Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Need some encouragement, suffering with tendonitis

Posted by Sherrie M. on 12/01/01 at 11:53 (065820)

I have read some scary stories on the board about tendonitis of the ankle and I was really looking for some encouragement about recovery! I was just diagnosed by Dr.Z as having post tibial tendonitis and tendonitis of the outer ankle area( can't remember the name) and I'm in a lot of pain.Can anyone tell me what helped to survive this! Thanks, Sherrie

Re: don't know about tendonitis but.....

Rebecca H on 12/01/01 at 17:52 (065846)

Hi Sherrie,

I'm new to this message board and don't really know anything about tendonitis. I have plantar fasciitis. Anyway I just wanted to tell you someone out here cares! Hope you find some answers and help. This message board is full of great people trying to help each other through their various foot problems.

Hoping you get better soon!
Rebecca

Re: Need some encouragement, suffering with tendonitis

nancy s. on 12/02/01 at 12:14 (065906)

hi sherrie,
i think you're talking about peroneal tendonitis near the outer ankle, yes? maybe i can help give you some hope: i had bad PF for a year, started to improve, and then came down with bad tendonitis (in both feet, not just one like the PF). it is very painful, isn't it? i had post tib, peroneal, and achilles tendonitis. i waited too long to go to the doctor, but here's what helped me a lot:
(1) doc put my worst foot in an aircast for 7 weeks to rest it, but started me on PT immediately, which i went to three times a week for 6 months. had deep tissue massage, ultrasound, and iontophoresis.
(2) at home i did strengthening exercises given by the PT, plus i used the Acu-Flex, which used to be available on this site but i don't think is now. i also iced often, and elevated my feet (above the heart).
(3) these things gradually improved the situation quite a bit. then while in mexico i saw a homeopathic doctor, whose medicines helped me get to about 90-95% better.
i still have to be careful not to overdo it, to wear the best shoes, and to rest and ice when my feet have had too long a day. but i can walk now! i take walks for up to an hour, and probably could go longer. no limping, no pain. (standing in one place for long is still hard and i try not to do it.)
i thought it would never go away, and it didn't happen overnight, but i'm ever so much better. i hope you have a good doc/PT overseeing your care of your feet. best of luck to you.
nancy

Beverly on 12/02/01 at 13:44 (065910)

Hi Sherri,

I'm sorry you are having troubles with tendontis. I've had many ups and downs with mine. I have found that custom orthodics and quality shoes have helped me. I had to try several different sets of orthodics before seeing progress and I still have setbacks (in one now) when I overdo it.
Best wishes,
Beverly

Sherrie M. on 12/02/01 at 16:01 (065915)

Thanks Nancy and Beverly, I am miserable and I know that this won't go away fast I just want to do the best things possible from the start so that maybe I'll feel better soon. Right now I just can't find a good position to rest this foot and leg and the pain is constant, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. I saw Dr.Z on thursday and he put me in a boot cast and I'm starting pt, actually I started friday, in the heated pool, it felt great while I was in there but when I got out I was swollen, maybe to much to soon. This week we are doing pool therapy, ultrasound, and muscle stimulation hopefully I will get some relief with that.I am not walking much at all! This all started with another bout of pf, I guess I was on my feet too much and both feet tightend up. I have already had eswt on the left foot that is still successful, I would suggest it for anyone with insertional pain, it's great!Beverly I want you to know that I have been to the rheumatolgist and have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, a connective tissue disorder and acupunture is usually the only thing that helps, I'm thinking that this is why this tendonitis is so painful, I'm going for a treatment this week maybe that will help! Thanks again, I will be filling you in on my progress. Sherrie

DR Zuckerman on 12/02/01 at 16:13 (065918)

Hi,

Acupuncture can also be added to your physical therapy. Very effective if done by an experienced therapist or doctor.

paula on 12/02/01 at 20:27 (065942)

hi just thought it would be encouraging to say i have had monster tendonitis in ankles and pt and doctor said if i exercise very carefully and slowly and the muscles get stronger , the tendonitis will resolve. i also got a few rounds of iontopheresis with cortisone as well. well i havnt had a bout in a while now, maybe two months. a first for me. the exercises are with a theraband taught me by the pt in a very specific way. i also iced a lot. at it's worst i was very discouraged too. seemed like if i breathed i'd get it and it was very painful and immobilizing. i also went online and typed tendonitis into google. there's a lot of articles. i was most interested in the ones about eccentric exercise. that's what i do. seems to be working for me.

paula on 12/02/01 at 20:45 (065945)

hi just thought it would be encouraging to say i have had monster tendonitis in ankles and pt and doctor said if i exercise very carefully and slowly and the muscles get stronger , the tendonitis will resolve. i also got a few rounds of iontopheresis with cortisone as well. well i havnt had a bout in a while now, maybe two months. a first for me. the exercises are with a theraband taught me by the pt in a very specific way. i also iced a lot. at it's worst i was very discouraged too. seemed like if i breathed i'd get it and it was very painful and immobilizing. i also went online and typed tendonitis into google. there's a lot of articles. i was most interested in the ones about eccentric exercise. that's what i do. seems to be working for me.

Sherrie M. on 12/03/01 at 06:57 (065966)

Paula, thank you as well for letting me know it can and will resolve- for now it just seems hopeless, constant pain! My foot is stiff, so I know that gentle stretching will help, it has in the past with pf, I just hope the therapist doesn't think I'm gonnna push it.Did you use the bands to gently stretch the foot straight back towards you?And I guess you iced afterwards.By the way, how long did you have it? Thanks Sherrie

Re: Paula, question about the theraband exercises

Beverly on 12/03/01 at 15:12 (065998)

Paula,

Are the theraband exercises you are doing the ones that come in a handout... a little picture of the exercises for ankle problems and then the PT teaches you how to do them or is it something else that he or she devised?
Having tried PT several times, I have quite a collection of PT handouts showing different types of exercises with and without therabands.
But I'm always curious to hear about others.
Thanks,
Beverly

Re: don't know about tendonitis but.....

Rebecca H on 12/01/01 at 17:52 (065846)

Hi Sherrie,

I'm new to this message board and don't really know anything about tendonitis. I have plantar fasciitis. Anyway I just wanted to tell you someone out here cares! Hope you find some answers and help. This message board is full of great people trying to help each other through their various foot problems.

Hoping you get better soon!
Rebecca

nancy s. on 12/02/01 at 12:14 (065906)

hi sherrie,
i think you're talking about peroneal tendonitis near the outer ankle, yes? maybe i can help give you some hope: i had bad PF for a year, started to improve, and then came down with bad tendonitis (in both feet, not just one like the PF). it is very painful, isn't it? i had post tib, peroneal, and achilles tendonitis. i waited too long to go to the doctor, but here's what helped me a lot:
(1) doc put my worst foot in an aircast for 7 weeks to rest it, but started me on PT immediately, which i went to three times a week for 6 months. had deep tissue massage, ultrasound, and iontophoresis.
(2) at home i did strengthening exercises given by the PT, plus i used the Acu-Flex, which used to be available on this site but i don't think is now. i also iced often, and elevated my feet (above the heart).
(3) these things gradually improved the situation quite a bit. then while in mexico i saw a homeopathic doctor, whose medicines helped me get to about 90-95% better.
i still have to be careful not to overdo it, to wear the best shoes, and to rest and ice when my feet have had too long a day. but i can walk now! i take walks for up to an hour, and probably could go longer. no limping, no pain. (standing in one place for long is still hard and i try not to do it.)
i thought it would never go away, and it didn't happen overnight, but i'm ever so much better. i hope you have a good doc/PT overseeing your care of your feet. best of luck to you.
nancy

Beverly on 12/02/01 at 13:44 (065910)

Hi Sherri,

I'm sorry you are having troubles with tendontis. I've had many ups and downs with mine. I have found that custom orthodics and quality shoes have helped me. I had to try several different sets of orthodics before seeing progress and I still have setbacks (in one now) when I overdo it.
Best wishes,
Beverly

Sherrie M. on 12/02/01 at 16:01 (065915)

Thanks Nancy and Beverly, I am miserable and I know that this won't go away fast I just want to do the best things possible from the start so that maybe I'll feel better soon. Right now I just can't find a good position to rest this foot and leg and the pain is constant, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. I saw Dr.Z on thursday and he put me in a boot cast and I'm starting pt, actually I started friday, in the heated pool, it felt great while I was in there but when I got out I was swollen, maybe to much to soon. This week we are doing pool therapy, ultrasound, and muscle stimulation hopefully I will get some relief with that.I am not walking much at all! This all started with another bout of pf, I guess I was on my feet too much and both feet tightend up. I have already had eswt on the left foot that is still successful, I would suggest it for anyone with insertional pain, it's great!Beverly I want you to know that I have been to the rheumatolgist and have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, a connective tissue disorder and acupunture is usually the only thing that helps, I'm thinking that this is why this tendonitis is so painful, I'm going for a treatment this week maybe that will help! Thanks again, I will be filling you in on my progress. Sherrie

DR Zuckerman on 12/02/01 at 16:13 (065918)

Hi,

Acupuncture can also be added to your physical therapy. Very effective if done by an experienced therapist or doctor.

paula on 12/02/01 at 20:27 (065942)

paula on 12/02/01 at 20:45 (065945)

Sherrie M. on 12/03/01 at 06:57 (065966)

Paula, thank you as well for letting me know it can and will resolve- for now it just seems hopeless, constant pain! My foot is stiff, so I know that gentle stretching will help, it has in the past with pf, I just hope the therapist doesn't think I'm gonnna push it.Did you use the bands to gently stretch the foot straight back towards you?And I guess you iced afterwards.By the way, how long did you have it? Thanks Sherrie

Re: Paula, question about the theraband exercises

Beverly on 12/03/01 at 15:12 (065998)

Paula,

Are the theraband exercises you are doing the ones that come in a handout... a little picture of the exercises for ankle problems and then the PT teaches you how to do them or is it something else that he or she devised?
Having tried PT several times, I have quite a collection of PT handouts showing different types of exercises with and without therabands.
But I'm always curious to hear about others.
Thanks,
Beverly