Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Does 8 1/2 D (women) =38 Birkenstock?

Posted by Rebecca H on 12/01/01 at 18:14 (065849)

Dear Everyone,

I need input. I got size 38 Birkenstock (regular). I am normally an
8 1/2 D. I thought this was the right size Arizona. Now I am not sure because although they feel good everywhere else, the outsides of my feet hurt. I just want to know if this is a normal thing for the break in period or if I need to go up a size. Thanks and I apologise if I am posting too much. I do appreciate everyone's help...

Rebecca

Re: Does 8 1/2 D (women) =38 Birkenstock?

wendyn on 12/01/01 at 18:25 (065850)

Never worry about posting too much.

Your feet should not hit the edges of the Birks, I wear a size 6 and a half and a 36 in Birks - so I'm guessing that yours are too small.

nancy s. on 12/01/01 at 19:27 (065861)

rebecca, i now wear a size 9 in a regular shoe and my birk size is 40. yours definitely sound too small to me. i made the same mistake when i first got birks: i got size 39, and they didn't hold up comfortwise in the long run.
nancy

Re: The German site says an 8 1/2 is the same as a 39 1/2

Carole C on 12/01/01 at 20:31 (065866)

I just checked the cheap German site (the one that the word Birkenstock links to if you click on it). It says an 8 and a half is the same as a 39 and a half. So, probably you should have a 39 or a 40!

This was one of those slapping the forehead, 'I could have had a V-8!' moments. It didn't occur to me to look for a conversion table! LOL

Hope this helps! Of course, it might not be right but at least it's another data point.

Carole

Julie on 12/02/01 at 03:56 (065885)

Hi Rebecca

As you'll see if you read my response on the first thread, my guess is that your Arizonas are too narrow for you: you have a wide foot, and they hurt the outsides of your feet. If you have half an inch in front of the toes, the length sounds all right. Check with the store to see if you were sold one of the narrow-fitting Arizonas. Otherwise, the next size will probably be a bit wider as well as a bit longer.

I also said (in case you don't see my first response) that I really don't think you should be trying to break in two unfamiliar arch supports, orthotics and Birks, at the same time. You need to know how the orthotics feel, because they may need adjusting if they aren't quite right at first, so you don't want to confuse the issue by getting into difficulties with your Birks.

Re: Julie-Birks for chasing 2-yr-old

rebecca h on 12/03/01 at 18:36 (066017)

Hi Julie,

Thank you for your suggestions. I believe you are right about not doing two different things at the same time. I've just been in pain so long I'm eager to try any and all things that might help. Also, since I am supposed to only break in the orthotics a little each day I need something ANYTHING that I can use to chase my two year old so thats why I went ahead and got the Birkenstocks. I am really trying hard to REST. Its quite a challenge in my situation. I can sit down or lie down in any room in the house with my two year old near by. But sometimes he still gets into things (he's fast and smart and strong-willed)so I have to jump up and prevent disasters.

I wonder how other people on this website manage to get the rest they need to heal. I find that the hardest thing of all.

Anyway thanks again for your input. I appreciate the time you've taken to try to help!
rebecca

Julie on 12/04/01 at 02:28 (066048)

Rebecca, I have absolutely no idea how mothers of two-year-olds with PF manage to rest! I just can't imagine it. But there are a few mums-of-twos around here who may be able to give you some hints. Meanwhile, for chasing yours (if there's no-one else available to do the chasing) I'd suggest you leave the Birks for later, after your orthotics are broken in, adjusted if need be, and 'right', and just wear whatever shoes you have that are least uncomfortable. No bare feet. You know that, don't you?

Have you tried taping yet?

BarbaraTX on 12/04/01 at 10:50 (066085)

I had a two year old for a year with severe pf but had the luck of having a five year old to semi-police the little one. A very efective alarm system. Each day we play a game before bed called 'be my hands' which I have hyped up to be a big event, but really is only a clean up time. A snack from dad is the reward. I use crutches for emergencies, because (let's face it) I BECOME the emergency if I'm not careful. Comb through the house and baby-proof everything so that accidents just don't happen in the first place. Have hubby 'secure the compound' before he leaves for work in the morning (opening shades and drapes, removing papers/little things that kids get into), in short, everything that requires extra puttering around. The BEST thing that I do every morning is start with a clean, orderly house every day. I count on that every morning, even thought toddler chaos closes in throughout the day. There is at least 15 minutes before bed when I can briefly comtemplate order before I sleep.

You can see that much of this formula depends on an understanding husband who is willing to be gently directed toward handling 'details' while you recover. Have hubby read the heel pain book to further his empathy.

Good luck. It is an incredible task. B.

Julie on 12/05/01 at 02:34 (066174)

Hi Barb

Now how did you guess it was you I had vividly in mind in my post to Rebecca?? I know your brilliant hints will help her. I'm just so sorry that all these ruses and ploys and terrific techniques continue to be necessary for you, and I pray that you'll find a fruitful line of treatment soon!

All the best

Julie

Re: Barb

rebecca h on 12/05/01 at 20:59 (066277)

You said you had severe PF. How is it now? I've had mine for four months. I don't know if its severe but it sure seems that way to me!

BarbaraTX on 12/05/01 at 21:36 (066282)

OH, that is the 2 million dollar question, but I am going to have to tell you the truth. I have had it for 2 years, still quite severe. But I am not in the majority, trust me. I am the PF poster child. B.

wendyn on 12/01/01 at 18:25 (065850)

Never worry about posting too much.

Your feet should not hit the edges of the Birks, I wear a size 6 and a half and a 36 in Birks - so I'm guessing that yours are too small.

nancy s. on 12/01/01 at 19:27 (065861)

rebecca, i now wear a size 9 in a regular shoe and my birk size is 40. yours definitely sound too small to me. i made the same mistake when i first got birks: i got size 39, and they didn't hold up comfortwise in the long run.
nancy

Re: The German site says an 8 1/2 is the same as a 39 1/2

Carole C on 12/01/01 at 20:31 (065866)

I just checked the cheap German site (the one that the word Birkenstock links to if you click on it). It says an 8 and a half is the same as a 39 and a half. So, probably you should have a 39 or a 40!

This was one of those slapping the forehead, 'I could have had a V-8!' moments. It didn't occur to me to look for a conversion table! LOL

Hope this helps! Of course, it might not be right but at least it's another data point.

Carole

Julie on 12/02/01 at 03:56 (065885)

Hi Rebecca

As you'll see if you read my response on the first thread, my guess is that your Arizonas are too narrow for you: you have a wide foot, and they hurt the outsides of your feet. If you have half an inch in front of the toes, the length sounds all right. Check with the store to see if you were sold one of the narrow-fitting Arizonas. Otherwise, the next size will probably be a bit wider as well as a bit longer.

I also said (in case you don't see my first response) that I really don't think you should be trying to break in two unfamiliar arch supports, orthotics and Birks, at the same time. You need to know how the orthotics feel, because they may need adjusting if they aren't quite right at first, so you don't want to confuse the issue by getting into difficulties with your Birks.

rebecca h on 12/03/01 at 18:36 (066017)

Hi Julie,

Thank you for your suggestions. I believe you are right about not doing two different things at the same time. I've just been in pain so long I'm eager to try any and all things that might help. Also, since I am supposed to only break in the orthotics a little each day I need something ANYTHING that I can use to chase my two year old so thats why I went ahead and got the Birkenstocks. I am really trying hard to REST. Its quite a challenge in my situation. I can sit down or lie down in any room in the house with my two year old near by. But sometimes he still gets into things (he's fast and smart and strong-willed)so I have to jump up and prevent disasters.

I wonder how other people on this website manage to get the rest they need to heal. I find that the hardest thing of all.

Anyway thanks again for your input. I appreciate the time you've taken to try to help!
rebecca

Julie on 12/04/01 at 02:28 (066048)

Rebecca, I have absolutely no idea how mothers of two-year-olds with PF manage to rest! I just can't imagine it. But there are a few mums-of-twos around here who may be able to give you some hints. Meanwhile, for chasing yours (if there's no-one else available to do the chasing) I'd suggest you leave the Birks for later, after your orthotics are broken in, adjusted if need be, and 'right', and just wear whatever shoes you have that are least uncomfortable. No bare feet. You know that, don't you?

Have you tried taping yet?

BarbaraTX on 12/04/01 at 10:50 (066085)

I had a two year old for a year with severe pf but had the luck of having a five year old to semi-police the little one. A very efective alarm system. Each day we play a game before bed called 'be my hands' which I have hyped up to be a big event, but really is only a clean up time. A snack from dad is the reward. I use crutches for emergencies, because (let's face it) I BECOME the emergency if I'm not careful. Comb through the house and baby-proof everything so that accidents just don't happen in the first place. Have hubby 'secure the compound' before he leaves for work in the morning (opening shades and drapes, removing papers/little things that kids get into), in short, everything that requires extra puttering around. The BEST thing that I do every morning is start with a clean, orderly house every day. I count on that every morning, even thought toddler chaos closes in throughout the day. There is at least 15 minutes before bed when I can briefly comtemplate order before I sleep.

You can see that much of this formula depends on an understanding husband who is willing to be gently directed toward handling 'details' while you recover. Have hubby read the heel pain book to further his empathy.

Good luck. It is an incredible task. B.

Julie on 12/05/01 at 02:34 (066174)

Hi Barb

Now how did you guess it was you I had vividly in mind in my post to Rebecca?? I know your brilliant hints will help her. I'm just so sorry that all these ruses and ploys and terrific techniques continue to be necessary for you, and I pray that you'll find a fruitful line of treatment soon!

All the best

Julie

rebecca h on 12/05/01 at 20:59 (066277)

You said you had severe PF. How is it now? I've had mine for four months. I don't know if its severe but it sure seems that way to me!

BarbaraTX on 12/05/01 at 21:36 (066282)

OH, that is the 2 million dollar question, but I am going to have to tell you the truth. I have had it for 2 years, still quite severe. But I am not in the majority, trust me. I am the PF poster child. B.