Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I'd Like some Advice too! :) TSS Surgery Oct 3rd

Posted by Shelley J. on 12/02/01 at 20:12 (065940)

I had the Nerve release surgery on October 3rd, for TSS. I stayed completely off of my feet for two weeks then gradually started walking on my foot. (right foot) I went back to work on November 18th. (6 weeks off) I work in an Operating room as a Scrub Tech. I am on my feet for at least 8 hours a day with a 1/2 hour lunch break. I'm really frustrated because my foot is killing me. I have been 'off' all weekend for my normal days off, and It still hurts when I walk on it. It burns so bad on the 'heel' bottom and it just so painful when I stand. I am going to call tomorrow and make an appointment at my docs. I dont want to lose my job and I dont want to go back on disability, it isnt enough $$ to live on. I've been back to work two whole weeks and I feel like a complete failure. I pray all day long for the pain to go away and just grin and bear it. the strongest pain killer I can take while at work is Naproxin I have some Percocet here, but I know I cant take that and do my job. basically what I'm asking for is What should I do? What should I tell my doc? I need this job and I dont know what they would do at work if the doc said I can work but not stand, there is no 'sit-down' surgery rooms. Thanks for any suggestions :)

Re: I meant TTS not TSS

Shelley J. on 12/02/01 at 20:14 (065941)

It's Tarsal Tunnel Surgery ...not TSS...
I sure cant spell either! :(

Re: I'd Like some Advice too! :) TSS Surgery Oct 3rd

wendyn on 12/02/01 at 22:14 (065951)

Shelly, lots of people mix up TSS and TTS - but I'm glad that you didn't have Toxic Shock Syndrome (yikes).

I don't know if you've posted here or note before, so bear with me if you're repeating....

Prior to your sugery, what tests did you have done?

What was your doctor going in to fix?

What did he or she find? And how did they correct it?

Re: I'd Like some Advice too! :) TTS Surgery Oct 3rd

Shelley J. on 12/03/01 at 04:15 (065962)

Wendyn: no I havent posted here before, just lurking mostly.
you asked:

X Rays, and Nerve conductivity i beleve it was called? I cant rememeber. Doc said I was a classic case of Tarsal Tunnel the way my pain was.

To do a Nerve Release in my R Ankle

He said He found that it was really tight inside the ankle. I didnt ask many more questions
guess that was kind of dumb. I have super high arches in my foot so that doesnt make life easier either. :(

I just cant spell! LOL hit the TSS instead of the TTS! hehe! Thanks for your reply!

Re: Shelley, can I ask you about your nerve conduction test?

Meg on 12/03/01 at 20:13 (066022)

I'm sorry to hear that your still in such pain. I have not had the surgery yet but will most likely need to since my dr. thinks I have TTS. Anyhow, I have to have the nerve conduction test done in a month and would like to know what to expect. Thanks and I hope things get better for you.

Shelley J. on 12/04/01 at 06:38 (066057)

Meg: Just to let you know what my doc said about the nerve conduction test.
He said more than 80% of the people who have TTS turn up negative for a Nerve conduction test and still have TTS.
They hooked up leads to my foot little tiny ones and basically stimulated the nerve to see if it was 'alive' It felt like my foot was asleep I think my anxiety leading up to it was more painful than the actuall test :)
I wish you well! :) I go to the docs today! :(

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/05/01 at 16:27 (066242)

80% of the people who have TTS have negative NCV only if the examiner does the test with a blindfold on.

Seriously, there is a lot of variability among electromyographers but NCV is still the gold standard in my book for determining the presence or absence of TTS. If a NCV comes back negative one should think twice before proceeding with TT surgery or at least have compelling clinical evidence that TTS actually exists.
Ed

Ami P. on 12/06/01 at 18:35 (066364)

Meg,

I had a heel spur, and my podiatrist suspected TTS, and was actually surprised when the nerve conduction study came back negative. However, when he performed the surgery, he found problems. But as I say that, let me say that I believe my results may have possibly been human error. I am not quite sure that the person performing the test exactly knew what he was doing as he continually commented on how small my feet were. (I wear a ladies 7.)

As far as what to expect from the test, mine was just 'patches' attached to the leg and foot, then a small electrical current is run. Nothing was ever painful to me.

I pray all goes well with you.

JBA A on 12/07/01 at 17:04 (066467)

JBA Re: I'd like some Advice TSS sx on Oct 3rd
An MRI should be helpful to determine if the release was successful---also Steroid injection may help reduce the inflammation and thereby the pressure that may be the cause of your pain--steroid injection followed by ultrasound tx cn be performed without losing tuime out of work good luck, sounds like you had a 'Tarsal tunnel' compression syndrome

Re: Question about NCV

Matt L on 12/10/01 at 12:32 (066625)

Isn't it true that an irritated (but not as yet damaged)nerve will typically not give a positive result?

Jen R on 12/23/01 at 17:39 (067699)

Meg,

I also had a nerve conduction tests done. It was done in two parts. One was with patches and electrical current run into my leg and foot to check the response time of the nerves. The second part was small needles being inserted into about 5 - 7 spots in my leg and foot. I can't really remember what the second part was for. In any event, the first part really wasn't painful although the second part was fairly uncomfortable.

Similar to what Shelley posted, my doctor also told me that many people with TTS have negative results on their EMG. My EMG was completely normal but the tingling that I had in my foot was not in my mind and I was unable to get any other answer for having the tingling feeling.

Jen R

Re: I meant TTS not TSS

Shelley J. on 12/02/01 at 20:14 (065941)

It's Tarsal Tunnel Surgery ...not TSS...
I sure cant spell either! :(

wendyn on 12/02/01 at 22:14 (065951)

Shelly, lots of people mix up TSS and TTS - but I'm glad that you didn't have Toxic Shock Syndrome (yikes).

I don't know if you've posted here or note before, so bear with me if you're repeating....

Prior to your sugery, what tests did you have done?

What was your doctor going in to fix?

What did he or she find? And how did they correct it?

Re: I'd Like some Advice too! :) TTS Surgery Oct 3rd

Shelley J. on 12/03/01 at 04:15 (065962)

Wendyn: no I havent posted here before, just lurking mostly.
you asked:

X Rays, and Nerve conductivity i beleve it was called? I cant rememeber. Doc said I was a classic case of Tarsal Tunnel the way my pain was.

To do a Nerve Release in my R Ankle

He said He found that it was really tight inside the ankle. I didnt ask many more questions
guess that was kind of dumb. I have super high arches in my foot so that doesnt make life easier either. :(

I just cant spell! LOL hit the TSS instead of the TTS! hehe! Thanks for your reply!

Meg on 12/03/01 at 20:13 (066022)

I'm sorry to hear that your still in such pain. I have not had the surgery yet but will most likely need to since my dr. thinks I have TTS. Anyhow, I have to have the nerve conduction test done in a month and would like to know what to expect. Thanks and I hope things get better for you.

Shelley J. on 12/04/01 at 06:38 (066057)

Meg: Just to let you know what my doc said about the nerve conduction test.
He said more than 80% of the people who have TTS turn up negative for a Nerve conduction test and still have TTS.
They hooked up leads to my foot little tiny ones and basically stimulated the nerve to see if it was 'alive' It felt like my foot was asleep I think my anxiety leading up to it was more painful than the actuall test :)
I wish you well! :) I go to the docs today! :(

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/05/01 at 16:27 (066242)

80% of the people who have TTS have negative NCV only if the examiner does the test with a blindfold on.

Seriously, there is a lot of variability among electromyographers but NCV is still the gold standard in my book for determining the presence or absence of TTS. If a NCV comes back negative one should think twice before proceeding with TT surgery or at least have compelling clinical evidence that TTS actually exists.
Ed

Ami P. on 12/06/01 at 18:35 (066364)

Meg,

I had a heel spur, and my podiatrist suspected TTS, and was actually surprised when the nerve conduction study came back negative. However, when he performed the surgery, he found problems. But as I say that, let me say that I believe my results may have possibly been human error. I am not quite sure that the person performing the test exactly knew what he was doing as he continually commented on how small my feet were. (I wear a ladies 7.)

As far as what to expect from the test, mine was just 'patches' attached to the leg and foot, then a small electrical current is run. Nothing was ever painful to me.

I pray all goes well with you.

JBA A on 12/07/01 at 17:04 (066467)

JBA Re: I'd like some Advice TSS sx on Oct 3rd
An MRI should be helpful to determine if the release was successful---also Steroid injection may help reduce the inflammation and thereby the pressure that may be the cause of your pain--steroid injection followed by ultrasound tx cn be performed without losing tuime out of work good luck, sounds like you had a 'Tarsal tunnel' compression syndrome

Re: Question about NCV

Matt L on 12/10/01 at 12:32 (066625)

Isn't it true that an irritated (but not as yet damaged)nerve will typically not give a positive result?

Jen R on 12/23/01 at 17:39 (067699)

Meg,

I also had a nerve conduction tests done. It was done in two parts. One was with patches and electrical current run into my leg and foot to check the response time of the nerves. The second part was small needles being inserted into about 5 - 7 spots in my leg and foot. I can't really remember what the second part was for. In any event, the first part really wasn't painful although the second part was fairly uncomfortable.

Similar to what Shelley posted, my doctor also told me that many people with TTS have negative results on their EMG. My EMG was completely normal but the tingling that I had in my foot was not in my mind and I was unable to get any other answer for having the tingling feeling.

Jen R