Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Burning pain at back of heal

Posted by Dan F on 12/02/01 at 20:49 (065947)

Dr.s......I have on the back of the right heal, near where the achiles tendon would attach, a burning sharp nerve like pain. to the touch, even a light brush against the skin in that area sets off a hot burning burning sensation.
its about one inch up from the back of the heal...47 year old male. it does not radiate anywhere else ...just extremely painfull when touched.

Re: Burning pain at back of heal

Jack W. on 12/03/01 at 13:15 (065985)

Dan: I'm not a pod but sure does sound like my condition. Coincidently I am a 47 year old male. The pods like to call my condition Achilles Insertional Calcific Tendonitis. In my case and others I have heard of, the painfull spot is off center of the heal, in my case to the right of the right heel. You need to have it checked out, probably an x-ray. More than likely the dpm will have you try conventional methods consisting of calf stretches, heat, ice, anti-inflamatories, massage, ultrasound, perhaps orthotics. In some case cortizone shots are used, but they are not automatic since there is the possibility of weakening the tendon.

Re: Burning pain at back of heal

Jack W. on 12/03/01 at 13:15 (065985)

Dan: I'm not a pod but sure does sound like my condition. Coincidently I am a 47 year old male. The pods like to call my condition Achilles Insertional Calcific Tendonitis. In my case and others I have heard of, the painfull spot is off center of the heal, in my case to the right of the right heel. You need to have it checked out, probably an x-ray. More than likely the dpm will have you try conventional methods consisting of calf stretches, heat, ice, anti-inflamatories, massage, ultrasound, perhaps orthotics. In some case cortizone shots are used, but they are not automatic since there is the possibility of weakening the tendon.