Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF ---> TTS mapping theorem?

Posted by elliott on 12/03/01 at 01:05 (065959)

Anyone else notice that a disproportionate share of heelspurs.com people who had a plantar fasciotomy later seem to get TTS? You'd have to be blind not to. I myself can think of four or five off the top of my head. It's uncanny. Yeah, I know, we're all weird here (yeah, I know, speak for myself), but maybe we've uncovered something not realized by the medical community at large.

I'd like to ask the docs: is it possible that the PF release makes one more likely (how likely?) to get TTS? If so, why? (Scar tissue? Weakening of the foot? Collapse of nerve bed? You tell me.)

If those who had the PF release and then got TTS would like to chime in, please do so.

--------

Re: PF ---> TTS mapping theorem?

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/05/01 at 15:43 (066229)

I do not see a connection between plantar fascial release surgery and development of tarsal tunnel syndrome. The surgery should not affect the tarsal tunnel but it could possibly, depending on incision placement, affect the porta pedis (location of what is now often called 'distal' tarsal tunnel syndrome).
Ed

Re: PF ---> TTS mapping theorem?

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/05/01 at 15:43 (066229)

I do not see a connection between plantar fascial release surgery and development of tarsal tunnel syndrome. The surgery should not affect the tarsal tunnel but it could possibly, depending on incision placement, affect the porta pedis (location of what is now often called 'distal' tarsal tunnel syndrome).
Ed