Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bunion Surgery

Posted by Anon on 12/03/01 at 11:17 (065977)

How risky is Bunion surgery, would you suggest having it done? What are the chances of it doing damage to my feet, preventing movement?

thankyou

Anon

Re: Bunion Surgery

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/03/01 at 12:53 (065983)

Bunion surgery should be done for pain and the inability to wear most of your shoes without pain. Very important to have the correct procedure done for your foot. Make sure you go to a podiatric foot and ankle surgeon who can be bunion surgery.

wendyn on 12/03/01 at 21:31 (066037)

I've had bunions surgery. Hurt a lot - but for me was very effective. I had A LOT of pain before the surgery.

If you're not in pain, think twice.

Julie on 12/04/01 at 02:37 (066049)

You didn't say why you are considering bunion surgery, but if your bunions don't hurt, and if you're thinking about doing it for cosmetic reasons, think again. I'll pass on what the doctors here told me ages ago when my pod recommended surgery for a big, painless bunion.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Surgery of any kind is always a last resort, and there is always a risk of some kind. With bunion surgery I would imagine there is sure to be some loss of movement in the joint - that's the tradeoff for getting rid of pain. Even candidates for hip replacement joints are counselled to wait until the pain gets to the difficult-to-manage stage.

Anon on 12/09/01 at 16:17 (066592)

No it's not just for cosmetic reasons, my feet are very painful.
If any of you have bunions and have gotten them done, what results have you had?

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/03/01 at 12:53 (065983)

Bunion surgery should be done for pain and the inability to wear most of your shoes without pain. Very important to have the correct procedure done for your foot. Make sure you go to a podiatric foot and ankle surgeon who can be bunion surgery.

wendyn on 12/03/01 at 21:31 (066037)

I've had bunions surgery. Hurt a lot - but for me was very effective. I had A LOT of pain before the surgery.

If you're not in pain, think twice.

Julie on 12/04/01 at 02:37 (066049)

You didn't say why you are considering bunion surgery, but if your bunions don't hurt, and if you're thinking about doing it for cosmetic reasons, think again. I'll pass on what the doctors here told me ages ago when my pod recommended surgery for a big, painless bunion.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Surgery of any kind is always a last resort, and there is always a risk of some kind. With bunion surgery I would imagine there is sure to be some loss of movement in the joint - that's the tradeoff for getting rid of pain. Even candidates for hip replacement joints are counselled to wait until the pain gets to the difficult-to-manage stage.

Anon on 12/09/01 at 16:17 (066592)

No it's not just for cosmetic reasons, my feet are very painful.
If any of you have bunions and have gotten them done, what results have you had?