Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question about test

Posted by Tom on 12/03/01 at 14:26 (065992)

I was wondering how far the dr. sticks the needle in. Is it just barely in the skin or does it have to be into the muscle?

Re: they stick it in one ear, out the other :-)

elliott on 12/03/01 at 15:13 (065999)

Everyone's hung up about this test. About every three days another Tom (and Dick and Harry :-)) comes along and asks this same and related questions. I'm getting suspicious it's all just one person who keeps using differing aliases. :-) Just kidding. Look over the last few pages of this board for a thorough discussion in several different threads.

Re: Can I please get a serious answer here

Tom on 12/03/01 at 17:43 (066015)

I was asking this question because it is important to me, my wife is having this done and is very upset. I only wanted to know how far in the needle is inserted, sorry for bothering, I'll find another message board.

Re: You should be able to get a straight sensitive answer

Paul on 12/03/01 at 17:49 (066016)

Tom, I have found this board to be very helpful, but after reading E.s response, I can understand your being upset. I have not had this test done so I can not provide the answer you are looking for, but I will ask a friend of mine who has and get back to you.

Re: Elliotts answer

CArmen H on 12/03/01 at 19:29 (066019)

There is a sense of humor in Elliott's response (I can see that) and it is true...there have been a great deal of questions about the EMG tests lately....much more than normal. I think Elliott was just trying to make light of a situation everyone seems to be VERY panicky about.
If it helps to say that I think each situation may differ slightly but the EMG test is a series of average sized needles (not huge) and they are stuck quickly and not very deeply into the muscle. You are then asked to stimulate the muscle or the doctor will move the body part being tested and listen for a response from a machine. At least that's how my tests were done.
I really didn't think it was that bad....I was prepared for the worst and it wasn't. I certainly hope Tom finds it in his wife's best interest to come back and visit us and not let one small incident that was meant to be harmless get in the way. That's just elliott's humor...sometimes it's just taken wrong. That's all.
We are a ratehr helpful bunch though.... ;-)

BarbaraTX on 12/03/01 at 20:28 (066026)

The needles were inserted into my muscles at the surface, no deeper than 1/8 of an inch or less. Show your wife a tape measure and have her look at it. Very very tiny needles, much smaller than the ones you use to give blood - I believe that they are not hollow. I felt more like someone was applying pressure with a tip of a pen or something, not a prick feeling. Only one area bled at all (in my neck), and all the other pricks were impossible to find, even though I have fair skin. Stay with your wife through the test if she is really scared. Tell jokes.

I am sorry that you didn't get the answer you wanted right away. Frankly, there is no better message board than this one. Stick around. Best of luck, B.

Re: at least you understand me; thanks (nm)

elliott on 12/04/01 at 00:04 (066046)

Re: it's the question that's off

elliott on 12/04/01 at 00:31 (066047)

Sorry, can't change my writing style; if it bothers you, ignore me, just like 3/4 of this board, but there's some truth in my words. I gather you didn't bother to read the threads I referred to, which would have told you everything you needed to know and more. You think telling your wife exactly how many milimeters the needle is stuck in is going to offer sweet comfort?

Many of us here are dealing with a lifetime of nerve pain. We're very upset too. A grand total of 18 noncontinuous seconds of only the slightest discomfort is a total joke that needs to be put in perspective. Emphasize that she needs the test to possibly help her avoid a lifetime of agony, it's no big deal anyway, she should just go in with a great attitude, joke around with the tester, and it will be over before she knows it. This is the right answer to the wrong question.

Re: they stick it in one ear, out the other :-)

elliott on 12/03/01 at 15:13 (065999)

Everyone's hung up about this test. About every three days another Tom (and Dick and Harry :-)) comes along and asks this same and related questions. I'm getting suspicious it's all just one person who keeps using differing aliases. :-) Just kidding. Look over the last few pages of this board for a thorough discussion in several different threads.

Tom on 12/03/01 at 17:43 (066015)

I was asking this question because it is important to me, my wife is having this done and is very upset. I only wanted to know how far in the needle is inserted, sorry for bothering, I'll find another message board.

Re: You should be able to get a straight sensitive answer

Paul on 12/03/01 at 17:49 (066016)

Tom, I have found this board to be very helpful, but after reading E.s response, I can understand your being upset. I have not had this test done so I can not provide the answer you are looking for, but I will ask a friend of mine who has and get back to you.

Re: Elliotts answer

CArmen H on 12/03/01 at 19:29 (066019)

There is a sense of humor in Elliott's response (I can see that) and it is true...there have been a great deal of questions about the EMG tests lately....much more than normal. I think Elliott was just trying to make light of a situation everyone seems to be VERY panicky about.
If it helps to say that I think each situation may differ slightly but the EMG test is a series of average sized needles (not huge) and they are stuck quickly and not very deeply into the muscle. You are then asked to stimulate the muscle or the doctor will move the body part being tested and listen for a response from a machine. At least that's how my tests were done.
I really didn't think it was that bad....I was prepared for the worst and it wasn't. I certainly hope Tom finds it in his wife's best interest to come back and visit us and not let one small incident that was meant to be harmless get in the way. That's just elliott's humor...sometimes it's just taken wrong. That's all.
We are a ratehr helpful bunch though.... ;-)

BarbaraTX on 12/03/01 at 20:28 (066026)

The needles were inserted into my muscles at the surface, no deeper than 1/8 of an inch or less. Show your wife a tape measure and have her look at it. Very very tiny needles, much smaller than the ones you use to give blood - I believe that they are not hollow. I felt more like someone was applying pressure with a tip of a pen or something, not a prick feeling. Only one area bled at all (in my neck), and all the other pricks were impossible to find, even though I have fair skin. Stay with your wife through the test if she is really scared. Tell jokes.

I am sorry that you didn't get the answer you wanted right away. Frankly, there is no better message board than this one. Stick around. Best of luck, B.

Re: at least you understand me; thanks (nm)

elliott on 12/04/01 at 00:04 (066046)

Re: it's the question that's off

elliott on 12/04/01 at 00:31 (066047)

Sorry, can't change my writing style; if it bothers you, ignore me, just like 3/4 of this board, but there's some truth in my words. I gather you didn't bother to read the threads I referred to, which would have told you everything you needed to know and more. You think telling your wife exactly how many milimeters the needle is stuck in is going to offer sweet comfort?

Many of us here are dealing with a lifetime of nerve pain. We're very upset too. A grand total of 18 noncontinuous seconds of only the slightest discomfort is a total joke that needs to be put in perspective. Emphasize that she needs the test to possibly help her avoid a lifetime of agony, it's no big deal anyway, she should just go in with a great attitude, joke around with the tester, and it will be over before she knows it. This is the right answer to the wrong question.