Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Going for nerve test on Wed. Dec 5th

Posted by Marybeth on 12/03/01 at 14:36 (065994)

After hearing so many stories about how painful it is I'm some what nervous about this test but I'm going anyway. I will post on here afterward to let you know how it went. I'm curious though, why does it take so long to perform? I mean are they constantly sticking you with the needles over and over so many times that it takes that long or is it because they're writing a lot?

Re: hang in there

elliott on 12/03/01 at 15:21 (066000)

Remember, not everyone here says it's so painful. I found it not so bad. Anyway, you need it, you get it. Go in with a good attitude, make jokes with the tester, you'll be all right. Then let us know it wasn't so bad (but if it was bad, don't let us know :-)).

There's lot's of locations and nerves to test, hence numerous shocks. There's not so many EMG needles, though; I posted earlier around how many needles, how many total seconds I recall.

-------

BarbaraTX on 12/03/01 at 20:19 (066025)

For me the test was no problem. Very worth it. But, I would be stuck with hot pokers just get the foot pain under control. If you have foot pain long enough, you will try just about anything. B.

wendyn on 12/03/01 at 20:28 (066027)

Barb - it's been a long time...how's it going?

BarbaraTX on 12/03/01 at 20:32 (066028)

OH, miserable. My heel just plain hurts, and I have the sickening feeling that I am reaching the end of the line. I hesitate to post because if I had encountered my own posts about a year back as a newbie, I would immediately drink myself into a stupor. I think I need more surgery, but I don't know what kind or when. I am in a holding pattern until January. Are you feeling any better? B.

Re: thanks

Marybeth on 12/03/01 at 21:11 (066031)

Thank you for your encouragement

elliott on 12/03/01 at 15:21 (066000)

Remember, not everyone here says it's so painful. I found it not so bad. Anyway, you need it, you get it. Go in with a good attitude, make jokes with the tester, you'll be all right. Then let us know it wasn't so bad (but if it was bad, don't let us know :-)).

There's lot's of locations and nerves to test, hence numerous shocks. There's not so many EMG needles, though; I posted earlier around how many needles, how many total seconds I recall.

-------

BarbaraTX on 12/03/01 at 20:19 (066025)

For me the test was no problem. Very worth it. But, I would be stuck with hot pokers just get the foot pain under control. If you have foot pain long enough, you will try just about anything. B.

wendyn on 12/03/01 at 20:28 (066027)

Barb - it's been a long time...how's it going?

BarbaraTX on 12/03/01 at 20:32 (066028)

OH, miserable. My heel just plain hurts, and I have the sickening feeling that I am reaching the end of the line. I hesitate to post because if I had encountered my own posts about a year back as a newbie, I would immediately drink myself into a stupor. I think I need more surgery, but I don't know what kind or when. I am in a holding pattern until January. Are you feeling any better? B.

Re: thanks

Marybeth on 12/03/01 at 21:11 (066031)

Thank you for your encouragement