Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How long after positive emg before surgery?

Posted by Mary on 12/03/01 at 21:09 (066030)

Can anyone tell me roughly how long after a positive emg for TTS is done that the surgery is usually done? And I know everyone is different but what do you usually do after the surgery? ( crutches for how long or cast?)

Re: How long after positive emg before surgery?

BrianG on 12/03/01 at 21:29 (066035)

Hi Mary,

Please think twice about the surgery. Get a couple other opinions. If you do go for surgery, try to have the very best person available, do it. I hate to say this, but these pages are full of people who had TTS surgery, that were not helped. Some are worse off. Everyone heals at a different rate. You could be laid up for 6 months. Do you work? What kind of job? If your on your feet all day, it will not help you to go back too early. Lastly, there may very well be other alternatives to surgry. Good luck

BCG

cindyp on 12/04/01 at 09:21 (066070)

Well not having had an emg but having had successful surgery i can say that you must get more than one opinion. an emg is not the only test i would rely on to have surgery or not. see if you can get an mri(if not already having had one) get other opinions. the time between the test and surgery shouldnt matter i would think. it's when the dr. can schedule you in. mine had a month back log. if you have the surgery get the best available. it's important.

BrianG on 12/03/01 at 21:29 (066035)

Hi Mary,

Please think twice about the surgery. Get a couple other opinions. If you do go for surgery, try to have the very best person available, do it. I hate to say this, but these pages are full of people who had TTS surgery, that were not helped. Some are worse off. Everyone heals at a different rate. You could be laid up for 6 months. Do you work? What kind of job? If your on your feet all day, it will not help you to go back too early. Lastly, there may very well be other alternatives to surgry. Good luck

BCG

cindyp on 12/04/01 at 09:21 (066070)

Well not having had an emg but having had successful surgery i can say that you must get more than one opinion. an emg is not the only test i would rely on to have surgery or not. see if you can get an mri(if not already having had one) get other opinions. the time between the test and surgery shouldnt matter i would think. it's when the dr. can schedule you in. mine had a month back log. if you have the surgery get the best available. it's important.