Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

oh great, now how am I going to lose any weight???LOL

Posted by rebecca h on 12/04/01 at 12:06 (066097)

All these sweet church ladies keep bringing over these wonderful meals since they heard I was off my feet for a while. Lasagna, chicken, homemade rolls, chili with cheese, BROWNIES FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!
With all this rest and all this food I'm going to be a candidate for the circus!!!! I know, I know, just feed it to my family and eat salad. Wish I could send it to you guys!!!!!!! Its so hard. How DO you lose weight while resting? Of course I am swimming but the pool is only open twice a week for lap swim. Any ideas??? Has anyone successfully lost weight while resting their feet? I have about 30 pounds to get to ideal weight.

Re: oh great, now how am I going to lose any weight???LOL

Necee on 12/04/01 at 12:26 (066101)

My suggestion to you Rebecca.....
Get the word out that you are dieting, and that even though you appreciate their thoughtfullness you can't have it. If friends continue to bring you goodies take them to your local Fire Dept or share with your neighbors. Maybe you have a hairdresser you could share the goodies with.
You could even freeze some of it and have later on when you don't feel like cooking for the family. Hope this helps.
I too have been dieting and it is so very hard to resist good food, especially this time of year!
Happy Trails.......
Necee

Carole C on 12/04/01 at 13:10 (066104)

It's not easy, but it's not impossible. If you don't get any exercise at all, it's really tough, though. Try at least doing 'sitting down' type exercises for your arms, and you can do things like leg lifts and so on.

Basically, you just have to stick to the diet plan you follow (I like Weight Watchers, but each to her own). But try to keep moving however you can, and that will help. Maybe your two year old would like to do lying down exercises with you (that might be fun for a toddler)

Don't send those brownies to me! I've been on Weight Watchers for over a year now. (grin) If they aren't gone yet, try running water over them and putting them down the disposal.

I lost 2 pounds on Thanksgiving week, plus rested my PF (wish I had it in me to do that again this week!). I didn't go anywhere or feast, because I have no family here; I watched the parades on TV and surfed the net. I guess I mostly ate grilled chicken, shrimp, salads with balsalmic vinaigrette dressing, non-fat yogurt, mixed vegetables, skim milk, and things like that. Also drink plenty of water.

Carole

nancy s. on 12/04/01 at 16:37 (066120)

rebecca, two words: low carb. i lost 30 pounds in a month and a half, i kid you not -- all while taking a total, and i mean total, rest off my feet. i sat in a recliner and lost 30 pounds.
i suggest you begin on december 26!
nancy

Re: Nancy-please explain

rebecca h on 12/04/01 at 17:47 (066131)

Nancy-

Wow! this low-carb thing sounds hopeful. What can you eat? I'm not familiar with what it is but very curious!

rebecca

nancy s. on 12/04/01 at 18:31 (066134)

rebecca, you can eat lots of foods: any meat, lots of vegetables, cheeses -- you can fill yourself up as much as you can take! i eat a lot of great stir-fries that i just make up as i go along.
what you have to cut out are sugar and bread, and keep your intake of other high-carb things like pasta very low. i was eating this way mostly as a yeast-killing thing, but the pounds just fell off. i was very strict about it at first, and later slowly introduced occasional pasta or rice, and there are phases where i almost go off completely (like these days!). but as soon as i go back to my usual, again the weight falls off.
the Atkins diet is a popular low-carb diet. i didn't follow that, i just went on general principle after reading sites on the net. i thought i'd never be able to give up sugar and bread, but you know, once i gave them up i got over them very fast. never hungry, that's probably the key. the best part was that i felt So Good, So Well. i had more energy.
there are other good things you can eat -- i can't think of them all.
i think barbTX has lost weight using Atkins. barb?
good luck, rebecca!
nancy

Barb TX? Low Carb? on 12/04/01 at 19:59 (066145)

Nancy said you might have something to add...
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
rebecca

Re: oops that was me not Barb

rebecca h on 12/04/01 at 20:01 (066146)

I'm still not real good at these message board things!

Re: Just be careful

Carmen H on 12/05/01 at 07:29 (066185)

I often see Low carb diets being tried not just on the board but hear stories from my brother in law (he is a cardiac rehab therapist and sports physiologist) and I have learned about food and diets from trainers etc....and just want to say a word of caution about not eating rice and pasta and other carbs. Instead of really cutting down on them try whole grains instead and brown rice instead of white. Portion control is VERY important in any eating well program as well....no matter what it is. I have just seen people eat low carb (not necessarily the Atkins diet) and once they lost the weight (yes it falls off) and they started eating normal again the weight REALLY came on heavy adn was very hard to get off.
I am not trying to discourage ANYone's way of losing weight just trying to avoid long term disappointment.
You can take it or leave it....:-) Heck my two cetns is really only worth a penny anyway. :-)

Carole C on 12/05/01 at 08:11 (066188)

Yes, each to her own! There are a lot of 'ways to skin a cat' as the saying goes. Personally, I sort of like using the flexibility of Weight Watchers to incorporate other ideas to some extent. For example, Weight Watchers doesn't tell me that I **have** to eat refined sugar, so I don't eat much at all because it makes me crave more sugar. Other people on Weight Watchers that don't have that trouble with the addictive nature of sugar, will eat it but I don't.

Because I have had problems in the past with my MS being triggered by various extreme diets (like 'liquid protein' which was popular back in the 1970's), I am very careful to get all my vitamins and minerals and a well balanced diet including all the basic food groups. I chose Weight Watchers because it seemed pretty moderate and healthy, and not very extreme. It's not a fast way of losing weight, but it seems healthy and I am patient. LOL

Carole

Julie on 12/05/01 at 09:25 (066193)

I think the Weight Watchers programme is good too, Carole. Its essence is that it follows the now generally recognized guidelines for healthy eating: fruit and vegetables in unlimited quantities (except for those very high in sugar), moderate amounts of protein and carbohydrates, small amounts of saturated fats.

As Carmen says, portion size matters whatever diet you're on. But WW is not so much a 'diet', rather a healthy eating plan. Ideally, you learn to eat sensibly on it, and continue to eat healthily and keep at your best weight afterwards - unlike so many diets, where the weight piles back on as soon as you go off them. I lost some weight I needed to lose with WW - it took awhile, but like you I was patient. That was four years ago and it stayed off for a long time. I've put some of it back on recently - my own fault! Slap wrists.

Re: Rebecca

BarbaraTX on 12/05/01 at 11:07 (066199)

Yes, I have lost about 30-35 on Atkins. I have read other low-carb (not no carb) books and I was impressed, especially by Atkins and Protein Power. The science behind it is generally this: losing weight is more a matter of metabolic control of your blood sugar level so that you have a proper insulin response to food. If you don't, you'll store fat/gain fat. You really need to read up thouroughly before trying to make sure it is good for you. Many people on low-carb diets have the added benefit of feeling very well while on them, not hungry, and having lowered cholesterol. I have experienced all three for myself. I think that Nancy S. felt very well on it too, if I recall. It is also becoming the diet of choice for diabetics. Some are also claiming that people in the older blood type groups (the O's) should eat this way for optimum health - I haven't read anything on that subject yet (anyone?)

If you suspect that your eating is complicated by emotional issues in addition to metabolic sentitivities, you might try books by Geneen Roth. They are quite good.

GOOD LUCK! It is hard to loose weight when sitting around with this crappy PF! B.

Good luck

Beverly on 12/05/01 at 12:35 (066208)

I've lost about ten pounds doing Weight Watchers off and on. Actually, I loose my most weight when I feel horrible and can't fanthom doing more in the kitchen than opening a container of cottage cheese!

As for your kind church ladies, well, at least they are thinking about you.
Perhaps there is a tactful way to let them know your avoiding fattening foods but you certainly do appreciate their gifts.

Take care,
Beverly

Megan C on 12/05/01 at 15:20 (066222)

I have the same problem. Since my TTS surgery last year i've gained some weight and haven't been able to get it off because I can do any exercising that involves me foot.

Megan

Re: Barb

John h on 12/05/01 at 16:25 (066241)

Barb you must be a real Babe now that you have lost 35 lbs. Shake Scott and forget Dick Chenney and lets rock.

Carole C on 12/05/01 at 16:49 (066247)

Yes, the thing that I really like about Weight Watchers is that I feel like the changes I'm making are ones I think I can live with. I prefer what I eat now, to the heavy and somewhat greasy foods I ate before.

Congratulations on maintaining your loss for so long, Julie! That is my goal, too. Well, my goals are twofold: to stay healthy while I lose weight, and to maintain that weight loss for a long time to come.

Carole

Re: Carmen-I think you've got a point

rebecca h on 12/05/01 at 20:44 (066272)

Carmen, I really think you've got a point. What I need to do is develop an ongoing lifestyle change getting into the permanent habit of eating right! Thanks for your comments!

Re: Thanks Barb

rebecca h on 12/05/01 at 20:49 (066273)

THanks Barb. I'm going to check the library and see if they have the Atkins. It would be nice to lose weight quick and then eat right so I can keep it off. I appreciate your taking time to explain!

Rebecca

Re: Beverly

rebecca h on 12/05/01 at 20:55 (066276)

You are right about the kind church ladies!!! They are so sweet to be doing this and my husband and children are not complaining at all about the good food!! I didn't mean to sound ungrateful. Just feeling sorry for myself about not getting to dive into those brownies and then walk it off later. I've always LOVED CHOCOLATE ( and walking. ) Now I can't do either! I used to be a regular walker but alas! those days are over for now.

Anyway, thanks for writing and hope youre having a good day.

rebecca

Re: John

BarbaraTX on 12/05/01 at 21:29 (066280)

I lost about 20 or more BEFORE we had our last soiree at the Days Inn, John. My babitude level remains constant. But give me another 6 months! B -

Beverly on 12/06/01 at 09:53 (066320)

I agree with Nancy, you can loose weight even as a total couch potato in a recliner. Like I said, I've lost about ten pounds getting NO exercise beyond channel surfing. It has not been fast... over the last year, but it has been slowly going down. I think I'm in another weight loss wave and so I hope to report another five pounds.
Like I said, when my feet/ankles are the worst is when I loose the most weight, because I just don't feel like making any effort in the kitchen and nor do I want to go out to eat. Of course, I do not have anyone bringing me goodies either. That would be very tempting.

I know if I'd been more diligent on sticking with Weight Watcher's, I'd have lost more.
Best wishes,
Beverly

Necee on 12/04/01 at 12:26 (066101)

My suggestion to you Rebecca.....
Get the word out that you are dieting, and that even though you appreciate their thoughtfullness you can't have it. If friends continue to bring you goodies take them to your local Fire Dept or share with your neighbors. Maybe you have a hairdresser you could share the goodies with.
You could even freeze some of it and have later on when you don't feel like cooking for the family. Hope this helps.
I too have been dieting and it is so very hard to resist good food, especially this time of year!
Happy Trails.......
Necee

Carole C on 12/04/01 at 13:10 (066104)

It's not easy, but it's not impossible. If you don't get any exercise at all, it's really tough, though. Try at least doing 'sitting down' type exercises for your arms, and you can do things like leg lifts and so on.

Basically, you just have to stick to the diet plan you follow (I like Weight Watchers, but each to her own). But try to keep moving however you can, and that will help. Maybe your two year old would like to do lying down exercises with you (that might be fun for a toddler)

Don't send those brownies to me! I've been on Weight Watchers for over a year now. (grin) If they aren't gone yet, try running water over them and putting them down the disposal.

I lost 2 pounds on Thanksgiving week, plus rested my PF (wish I had it in me to do that again this week!). I didn't go anywhere or feast, because I have no family here; I watched the parades on TV and surfed the net. I guess I mostly ate grilled chicken, shrimp, salads with balsalmic vinaigrette dressing, non-fat yogurt, mixed vegetables, skim milk, and things like that. Also drink plenty of water.

Carole

nancy s. on 12/04/01 at 16:37 (066120)

rebecca, two words: low carb. i lost 30 pounds in a month and a half, i kid you not -- all while taking a total, and i mean total, rest off my feet. i sat in a recliner and lost 30 pounds.
i suggest you begin on december 26!
nancy

rebecca h on 12/04/01 at 17:47 (066131)

Nancy-

Wow! this low-carb thing sounds hopeful. What can you eat? I'm not familiar with what it is but very curious!

rebecca

nancy s. on 12/04/01 at 18:31 (066134)

rebecca, you can eat lots of foods: any meat, lots of vegetables, cheeses -- you can fill yourself up as much as you can take! i eat a lot of great stir-fries that i just make up as i go along.
what you have to cut out are sugar and bread, and keep your intake of other high-carb things like pasta very low. i was eating this way mostly as a yeast-killing thing, but the pounds just fell off. i was very strict about it at first, and later slowly introduced occasional pasta or rice, and there are phases where i almost go off completely (like these days!). but as soon as i go back to my usual, again the weight falls off.
the Atkins diet is a popular low-carb diet. i didn't follow that, i just went on general principle after reading sites on the net. i thought i'd never be able to give up sugar and bread, but you know, once i gave them up i got over them very fast. never hungry, that's probably the key. the best part was that i felt So Good, So Well. i had more energy.
there are other good things you can eat -- i can't think of them all.
i think barbTX has lost weight using Atkins. barb?
good luck, rebecca!
nancy

Barb TX? Low Carb? on 12/04/01 at 19:59 (066145)

Nancy said you might have something to add...
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
rebecca

Re: oops that was me not Barb

rebecca h on 12/04/01 at 20:01 (066146)

I'm still not real good at these message board things!

Carmen H on 12/05/01 at 07:29 (066185)

I often see Low carb diets being tried not just on the board but hear stories from my brother in law (he is a cardiac rehab therapist and sports physiologist) and I have learned about food and diets from trainers etc....and just want to say a word of caution about not eating rice and pasta and other carbs. Instead of really cutting down on them try whole grains instead and brown rice instead of white. Portion control is VERY important in any eating well program as well....no matter what it is. I have just seen people eat low carb (not necessarily the Atkins diet) and once they lost the weight (yes it falls off) and they started eating normal again the weight REALLY came on heavy adn was very hard to get off.
I am not trying to discourage ANYone's way of losing weight just trying to avoid long term disappointment.
You can take it or leave it....:-) Heck my two cetns is really only worth a penny anyway. :-)

Carole C on 12/05/01 at 08:11 (066188)

Yes, each to her own! There are a lot of 'ways to skin a cat' as the saying goes. Personally, I sort of like using the flexibility of Weight Watchers to incorporate other ideas to some extent. For example, Weight Watchers doesn't tell me that I **have** to eat refined sugar, so I don't eat much at all because it makes me crave more sugar. Other people on Weight Watchers that don't have that trouble with the addictive nature of sugar, will eat it but I don't.

Because I have had problems in the past with my MS being triggered by various extreme diets (like 'liquid protein' which was popular back in the 1970's), I am very careful to get all my vitamins and minerals and a well balanced diet including all the basic food groups. I chose Weight Watchers because it seemed pretty moderate and healthy, and not very extreme. It's not a fast way of losing weight, but it seems healthy and I am patient. LOL

Carole

Julie on 12/05/01 at 09:25 (066193)

I think the Weight Watchers programme is good too, Carole. Its essence is that it follows the now generally recognized guidelines for healthy eating: fruit and vegetables in unlimited quantities (except for those very high in sugar), moderate amounts of protein and carbohydrates, small amounts of saturated fats.

As Carmen says, portion size matters whatever diet you're on. But WW is not so much a 'diet', rather a healthy eating plan. Ideally, you learn to eat sensibly on it, and continue to eat healthily and keep at your best weight afterwards - unlike so many diets, where the weight piles back on as soon as you go off them. I lost some weight I needed to lose with WW - it took awhile, but like you I was patient. That was four years ago and it stayed off for a long time. I've put some of it back on recently - my own fault! Slap wrists.

BarbaraTX on 12/05/01 at 11:07 (066199)

Yes, I have lost about 30-35 on Atkins. I have read other low-carb (not no carb) books and I was impressed, especially by Atkins and Protein Power. The science behind it is generally this: losing weight is more a matter of metabolic control of your blood sugar level so that you have a proper insulin response to food. If you don't, you'll store fat/gain fat. You really need to read up thouroughly before trying to make sure it is good for you. Many people on low-carb diets have the added benefit of feeling very well while on them, not hungry, and having lowered cholesterol. I have experienced all three for myself. I think that Nancy S. felt very well on it too, if I recall. It is also becoming the diet of choice for diabetics. Some are also claiming that people in the older blood type groups (the O's) should eat this way for optimum health - I haven't read anything on that subject yet (anyone?)

If you suspect that your eating is complicated by emotional issues in addition to metabolic sentitivities, you might try books by Geneen Roth. They are quite good.

GOOD LUCK! It is hard to loose weight when sitting around with this crappy PF! B.

Good luck

Beverly on 12/05/01 at 12:35 (066208)

I've lost about ten pounds doing Weight Watchers off and on. Actually, I loose my most weight when I feel horrible and can't fanthom doing more in the kitchen than opening a container of cottage cheese!

As for your kind church ladies, well, at least they are thinking about you.
Perhaps there is a tactful way to let them know your avoiding fattening foods but you certainly do appreciate their gifts.

Take care,
Beverly

Megan C on 12/05/01 at 15:20 (066222)

I have the same problem. Since my TTS surgery last year i've gained some weight and haven't been able to get it off because I can do any exercising that involves me foot.

Megan

Re: Barb

John h on 12/05/01 at 16:25 (066241)

Barb you must be a real Babe now that you have lost 35 lbs. Shake Scott and forget Dick Chenney and lets rock.

Carole C on 12/05/01 at 16:49 (066247)

Yes, the thing that I really like about Weight Watchers is that I feel like the changes I'm making are ones I think I can live with. I prefer what I eat now, to the heavy and somewhat greasy foods I ate before.

Congratulations on maintaining your loss for so long, Julie! That is my goal, too. Well, my goals are twofold: to stay healthy while I lose weight, and to maintain that weight loss for a long time to come.

Carole

Re: Carmen-I think you've got a point

rebecca h on 12/05/01 at 20:44 (066272)

Carmen, I really think you've got a point. What I need to do is develop an ongoing lifestyle change getting into the permanent habit of eating right! Thanks for your comments!

Re: Thanks Barb

rebecca h on 12/05/01 at 20:49 (066273)

THanks Barb. I'm going to check the library and see if they have the Atkins. It would be nice to lose weight quick and then eat right so I can keep it off. I appreciate your taking time to explain!

Rebecca

Re: Beverly

rebecca h on 12/05/01 at 20:55 (066276)

You are right about the kind church ladies!!! They are so sweet to be doing this and my husband and children are not complaining at all about the good food!! I didn't mean to sound ungrateful. Just feeling sorry for myself about not getting to dive into those brownies and then walk it off later. I've always LOVED CHOCOLATE ( and walking. ) Now I can't do either! I used to be a regular walker but alas! those days are over for now.

Anyway, thanks for writing and hope youre having a good day.

rebecca

Re: John

BarbaraTX on 12/05/01 at 21:29 (066280)

I lost about 20 or more BEFORE we had our last soiree at the Days Inn, John. My babitude level remains constant. But give me another 6 months! B -

Beverly on 12/06/01 at 09:53 (066320)

I agree with Nancy, you can loose weight even as a total couch potato in a recliner. Like I said, I've lost about ten pounds getting NO exercise beyond channel surfing. It has not been fast... over the last year, but it has been slowly going down. I think I'm in another weight loss wave and so I hope to report another five pounds.
Like I said, when my feet/ankles are the worst is when I loose the most weight, because I just don't feel like making any effort in the kitchen and nor do I want to go out to eat. Of course, I do not have anyone bringing me goodies either. That would be very tempting.

I know if I'd been more diligent on sticking with Weight Watcher's, I'd have lost more.
Best wishes,
Beverly