Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

what does this word mean?

Posted by helen on 12/05/01 at 05:10 (066181)

Dear Dr/s,
Hello thanks for your wonderful work.
I have MS but I was in such a lot of pain with my right foot I asked to have an Xray.
I dont see the doctor till next week with the resul;t and im rather impatient.
The xray report says ' there is a small plantar spur from the calcanium and
There is a prominent posterior tubercle from the calcanium.
I gather what a suur is but not the other PROMINENT one is.
Do you think it's connected with MS?
Id love to hear from you
Helen.

Re: what does this word mean?

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/05/01 at 15:58 (066234)

'Prominent' is not really a medical term. It just means 'significant' in the context used. The spur may or may not be the cause of the pain. A connection to MS is unlikely.
Ed

Carole C on 12/05/01 at 18:07 (066258)

I have no medical background but if by any chance you were referring to the word 'tubercle' then I believe that a tubercle is a knob like nodule or swelling. So, my best shot at translating 'a prominent posterior tubercle' would be a knob like nodule that is very noticeable and located towards the back.

Carole

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/05/01 at 15:58 (066234)

'Prominent' is not really a medical term. It just means 'significant' in the context used. The spur may or may not be the cause of the pain. A connection to MS is unlikely.
Ed

Carole C on 12/05/01 at 18:07 (066258)

I have no medical background but if by any chance you were referring to the word 'tubercle' then I believe that a tubercle is a knob like nodule or swelling. So, my best shot at translating 'a prominent posterior tubercle' would be a knob like nodule that is very noticeable and located towards the back.

Carole