Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

answering Julie's question from the other board

Posted by Carole C on 12/05/01 at 07:52 (066187)

Julie asked me in a thread on the 'Ask the Foot Doctors' board, about my job. I really love my job so I'm glad to talk about it! She suggested moving the discussion over here, so here it is.

I'm a Ph.D. physical oceanographer and engineer. Physical oceanographers study the movement of ocean waters and so we are interested in currents, waves, temperature, and salinity of ocean waters. I design studies that are done in the Gulf of Mexico. I read final reports for a lot of physical oceanographic studies, examine the latest physical oceanographic data and information, and critique those reports that have been written for us, and communicate with other physical oceanographers. Sometimes we meet and I cannot wear sandals at these meetings because that's just how they are. I write the physical oceanographic sections of environmental documents. A lot of what I do is on the computer, at a desk.

Physical oceanographic data is collected using expensive instrumentation that is deployed and maintained using various research vessels. Data is generally processed and analyzed on shore, though, on computers. Then it is interpreted and conclusions are drawn, and scientific papers are written based on what has been learned from the study. Because it is so expensive to collect physical oceanographic data, physical oceanographers also develop and use computer models based on ocean physics to learn more about the flow of ocean waters.

This week I've been interacting with other scientists to design a new study and yesterday I prepared a brief informal presentation to clarify to them what I had in mind and get their suggestions tomorrow. In the process I examined the potential study site carefully using GIS and produced a couple of maps to pass out. I've also been writing environmental documents, reading reports of past studies, and doing some computer modeling. One thing I love about my job is the variety. Hope this answers your questions!

Carole C

Re: answering Julie's question from the other board

rebecca h on 12/05/01 at 10:13 (066198)

What a cool job!!! Sounds like a hard one but very interesting. Do you actually get to go out IN the ocean? The only time I did that was on my uncles boat. Got kindof sick. But it was incredibly beautiful. Maybe someday when the children are grown I can do some traveling and even take a cruise. My children are 2, 6, 9, 11 and 15. My oldest son is in Europe now but will be home Dec. 21. My life will get easier then because he is a a hard worker with a willing heart! How are your feet today? I'm wearing my new orthotics (6th day) but would rather have on my birkenstocks. Actually my feet are in pain no matter what I wear but the least painful are the birks. I ended up taking the Arizona size 38 back to the store and traded them for Milano 39. They didn't have the Arizona in 39. But even though the Milano was 10.00 more the salesman didn't charge me any more but just swapped them. He was very nice and said if they didn't work out just bring them back. Said he wants my feet to feel good that's all that mattered. So nice to find people like this. Hope you have a good day and hope your feet are getting better.
rebecca

Beverly on 12/05/01 at 12:32 (066207)

What a fascinating job!
Beverly

Suzanne D on 12/05/01 at 14:42 (066219)

Carole, i enjoyed reading about your job! It sounds quite unique and interesting to me!! Thanks for taking the time to write about it! :-)

Re: going to sea; and emotions brought on by foot pain

Carole C on 12/05/01 at 17:16 (066248)

Rebecca, I think what interested Julie about this is my comments on the other message board about how I misunderstood what bartenders do, but that most people think oceanography is a great outdoorsy seagoing job too. It can be, especially for the young and for students, but I am neither of those any more. I have been to sea, of course, and of course like most oceanographers my love for the sea is very deep. However, I don't have a chance to go much any more due to other responsibilities that I now have.

I'm glad your new Birkenstocks feel good! I sure hope they work out for you.

As for my feet, they feel AWFUL today. Well, maybe they are not awful, maybe not even so bad as they were, but I am getting sick of hurting!! LOL No matter what position I put them in, they eventually hurt, and it seems like they hurt for no reason at all because I am just sitting there innocently. I need to start doing my stretching more consistently.

Oh, and shame on me (tongue in cheek) I carefully took a real shower over the weekend for about two minutes instead of a sponge bath. It was the most glorious uplifting feeling in the world, but not good for my feet, I suppose. I know, I need to do something about that. On Monday, I will see if this pedorthist has the waterproof Birkenstocks for the shower since she does sell Birkenstocks.

When my feet hurt I get crabby with people at work. I also was pretty crabby with Bobbie, the man I'm dating, when he called last night on the phone. He thinks it must be PMS (but it isn't). I have been such a witch lately (or another word that rhymes with it). What do you all do to cope with the emotional effects of this pain?

More and more, I find myself feeling tired and depressed, and when I interact with people I feel like getting shrill and hysterical (not a productive demeanor no matter what I'm trying to accomplish). On days when my feet feel good, I get my hopes up and feel like I will be done with this in no time. But it never lasts.

Carole

Carole C on 12/05/01 at 17:18 (066249)

Beverly,

Thanks - I like it a lot! I also like its location, in New Orleans. Before I lived here, I didn't know I would like it so much. :)

Carole

Carole C on 12/05/01 at 17:19 (066250)

Thank you, Suzanne. It is something I truly enjoy.

Carole

rebecca h on 12/05/01 at 20:39 (066270)

I've had kindof a rough day too. I guess not anything specific bad happened. Just the constant pain even like you said just innocently sitting there. I did enjoy reading the 'how to know if you have PF' Have you read that yet? If not, when you get a chance, go to Message Boards and scroll down to the bottom. Its really funny.

I just laid on the couch for about an hour and cried wondering what I did to deserve this stupid foot thing!!! I know one thing for sure-if I ever get 'on the other side of this' I will be thankful every single day for feet that work and don't hurt. I was trying to explain to someone the reason I like my Birkenstocks are because they cause LESS PAIN than anything else. Not that they really feel good. But then again maybe it will take a few more days. Or weeks. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much because then I will just get disappointed if I'm not better by such and such a date.

The thing thats helping me alot emotionally is this message board. People such as you and John and Steve and Suzanne and Julie and Wendy and Barb and Tammie and Necee and Carmen and Elliot and ....sorry if I forgot anyone. It's late and I'm tired!
I feel like you guys are really concerned about me and about each other.

I truly hope to hear of your improvement and the improvement of the rest of the people here. Actually I'm still so new I don't really understand everyone's unique struggles but I know people here have gone through a lot and it helps me to hear how others are still getting up and facing the day and still looking for answers.

WE don't have PMS. We have PFS. Take care and be very nice to those feet.

rebecca

Re: foot pain

Carole C on 12/05/01 at 21:48 (066283)

Rebecca, you are so sweet, and you deserve to never feel one more day of foot pain in your life! I wish you didn't have to.

I do understand what you mean about your Birkenstocks. The pain is lessened, but not cured (except for me on day four! LOL). I am new too, and it's hard to understand how all this works. It seems like it never truly changes, just gets better and worse from day to day.

Maybe I will be more upbeat tomorrow; I've been working hard at work, and I'm tired. If I could do it, I'd stand in a hot shower and let it run on my face until I got my energy back. It could be worse; at least I don't have the flu.

One thing's for sure; I am determined to get rid of this pain. Right now I have great hopes for whatever the pedorthist comes up with at my appointment on Monday. If she tells me to lose weight and then doesn't try very hard to help, I will tell her what I think! But otherwise, maybe she can and will help.

OK, now I will go and read that 'How to know if you have PF' article. Thanks for understanding.

Carole

wendyn on 12/05/01 at 22:40 (066290)

And some of us have both.

rebecca h on 12/05/01 at 10:13 (066198)

What a cool job!!! Sounds like a hard one but very interesting. Do you actually get to go out IN the ocean? The only time I did that was on my uncles boat. Got kindof sick. But it was incredibly beautiful. Maybe someday when the children are grown I can do some traveling and even take a cruise. My children are 2, 6, 9, 11 and 15. My oldest son is in Europe now but will be home Dec. 21. My life will get easier then because he is a a hard worker with a willing heart! How are your feet today? I'm wearing my new orthotics (6th day) but would rather have on my birkenstocks. Actually my feet are in pain no matter what I wear but the least painful are the birks. I ended up taking the Arizona size 38 back to the store and traded them for Milano 39. They didn't have the Arizona in 39. But even though the Milano was 10.00 more the salesman didn't charge me any more but just swapped them. He was very nice and said if they didn't work out just bring them back. Said he wants my feet to feel good that's all that mattered. So nice to find people like this. Hope you have a good day and hope your feet are getting better.
rebecca

Beverly on 12/05/01 at 12:32 (066207)

What a fascinating job!
Beverly

Suzanne D on 12/05/01 at 14:42 (066219)

Carole, i enjoyed reading about your job! It sounds quite unique and interesting to me!! Thanks for taking the time to write about it! :-)

Carole C on 12/05/01 at 17:16 (066248)

Rebecca, I think what interested Julie about this is my comments on the other message board about how I misunderstood what bartenders do, but that most people think oceanography is a great outdoorsy seagoing job too. It can be, especially for the young and for students, but I am neither of those any more. I have been to sea, of course, and of course like most oceanographers my love for the sea is very deep. However, I don't have a chance to go much any more due to other responsibilities that I now have.

I'm glad your new Birkenstocks feel good! I sure hope they work out for you.

As for my feet, they feel AWFUL today. Well, maybe they are not awful, maybe not even so bad as they were, but I am getting sick of hurting!! LOL No matter what position I put them in, they eventually hurt, and it seems like they hurt for no reason at all because I am just sitting there innocently. I need to start doing my stretching more consistently.

Oh, and shame on me (tongue in cheek) I carefully took a real shower over the weekend for about two minutes instead of a sponge bath. It was the most glorious uplifting feeling in the world, but not good for my feet, I suppose. I know, I need to do something about that. On Monday, I will see if this pedorthist has the waterproof Birkenstocks for the shower since she does sell Birkenstocks.

When my feet hurt I get crabby with people at work. I also was pretty crabby with Bobbie, the man I'm dating, when he called last night on the phone. He thinks it must be PMS (but it isn't). I have been such a witch lately (or another word that rhymes with it). What do you all do to cope with the emotional effects of this pain?

More and more, I find myself feeling tired and depressed, and when I interact with people I feel like getting shrill and hysterical (not a productive demeanor no matter what I'm trying to accomplish). On days when my feet feel good, I get my hopes up and feel like I will be done with this in no time. But it never lasts.

Carole

Carole C on 12/05/01 at 17:18 (066249)

Beverly,

Thanks - I like it a lot! I also like its location, in New Orleans. Before I lived here, I didn't know I would like it so much. :)

Carole

Carole C on 12/05/01 at 17:19 (066250)

Thank you, Suzanne. It is something I truly enjoy.

Carole

rebecca h on 12/05/01 at 20:39 (066270)

I've had kindof a rough day too. I guess not anything specific bad happened. Just the constant pain even like you said just innocently sitting there. I did enjoy reading the 'how to know if you have PF' Have you read that yet? If not, when you get a chance, go to Message Boards and scroll down to the bottom. Its really funny.

I just laid on the couch for about an hour and cried wondering what I did to deserve this stupid foot thing!!! I know one thing for sure-if I ever get 'on the other side of this' I will be thankful every single day for feet that work and don't hurt. I was trying to explain to someone the reason I like my Birkenstocks are because they cause LESS PAIN than anything else. Not that they really feel good. But then again maybe it will take a few more days. Or weeks. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much because then I will just get disappointed if I'm not better by such and such a date.

The thing thats helping me alot emotionally is this message board. People such as you and John and Steve and Suzanne and Julie and Wendy and Barb and Tammie and Necee and Carmen and Elliot and ....sorry if I forgot anyone. It's late and I'm tired!
I feel like you guys are really concerned about me and about each other.

I truly hope to hear of your improvement and the improvement of the rest of the people here. Actually I'm still so new I don't really understand everyone's unique struggles but I know people here have gone through a lot and it helps me to hear how others are still getting up and facing the day and still looking for answers.

WE don't have PMS. We have PFS. Take care and be very nice to those feet.

rebecca

Re: foot pain

Carole C on 12/05/01 at 21:48 (066283)

Rebecca, you are so sweet, and you deserve to never feel one more day of foot pain in your life! I wish you didn't have to.

I do understand what you mean about your Birkenstocks. The pain is lessened, but not cured (except for me on day four! LOL). I am new too, and it's hard to understand how all this works. It seems like it never truly changes, just gets better and worse from day to day.

Maybe I will be more upbeat tomorrow; I've been working hard at work, and I'm tired. If I could do it, I'd stand in a hot shower and let it run on my face until I got my energy back. It could be worse; at least I don't have the flu.

One thing's for sure; I am determined to get rid of this pain. Right now I have great hopes for whatever the pedorthist comes up with at my appointment on Monday. If she tells me to lose weight and then doesn't try very hard to help, I will tell her what I think! But otherwise, maybe she can and will help.

OK, now I will go and read that 'How to know if you have PF' article. Thanks for understanding.

Carole

wendyn on 12/05/01 at 22:40 (066290)

And some of us have both.