Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Casting for PF??

Posted by Pam B on 12/05/01 at 08:31 (066191)

I have been seeing a foot surgeon for plantar facsia for about two months now.......had it a few years back after back surgery in the other foot that has never gone away......I had a relapse in back problems over the summer and now my other foot is sick too.........I have had two shots,ultrasound,R/X for celebrex and darvocet,heel pads and shoe inserts for arch support as well as foot taping with no relief.......I am scheduled to go tomorrow to have a cast put on my leg for a few weeks as a last resort before surgery......if upon removal of the cast the pain returns, I will be scheduled for surgery.......I have read as much as I can on this subject and wonder if anyone out there has had there doctor try this?????? I see the nite spints but not a leg cast.......if anyone has had this tried, please mail me and let me know if it was successful.......thanks so much

Re: Casting for PF??

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/05/01 at 15:55 (066233)

Casting is a good way to calm down acute plantar fasciitis while maintaining a light stretch on the fascia and achilles. It is definitely worth a try.

By the way, you did not mention orthotics--something that I would try long before surgery. Also, I would consider ESWT before surgery.
Ed

Re: Casting for PF??

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/05/01 at 15:55 (066233)

Casting is a good way to calm down acute plantar fasciitis while maintaining a light stretch on the fascia and achilles. It is definitely worth a try.

By the way, you did not mention orthotics--something that I would try long before surgery. Also, I would consider ESWT before surgery.
Ed