Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Help!! Dr. Z! Parking lot mishap! How bad does it sound?

Posted by Beverly on 12/05/01 at 12:50 (066210)

I hate to be back here whining, but yesterday I did a major boo-boo. I'm in Big PAIN... as bad as I've been in a long time.

I was walking across the parking lot and I just landed wrong. I stayed upright and did not twist anything, but my foot sort of dragged across the concrete... just for a moment... at arch area... as if I'd scraped it. I was wearing my running shoes and orthodics so I had good suppport. It hurt as soon as I did it... deep immediate pain... I've iced it 3x and it hurts just as much as it did yesterday.

To make matters worse, this was my left foot that had the PTT that has just barely healed... the only foot and ankle misery I have that has healed.

I see no color change...no bruise... just a little puffy at arch but nothing remarkable. It just HURTS... A deep down to the bone kind of hurt, and I'm limping.

I'm worried that this will cause reinjury to the PTT or make my arch collaspe more. (But as I said, I was wearing my orthodics.) Do you think I just caused myself a temporary setback or does it sound like I tore something?

I can't get into see my orthopedic doctor for a month. I'm icing, resting, getting massage, back on the house arrest that I just this week got freed from.
Thanks,
Beverly

Re: Help!! Dr. Z! Parking lot mishap! How bad does it sound?

wendyn on 12/05/01 at 13:19 (066211)

Beverly, if you are in huge pain and you think you may have really done something, please consider going to an ER if you can't get in to your doctor.

DR Zuckerman on 12/05/01 at 20:52 (066274)

Hi

What you are doing is the right thing. Rest, ice, elevation. Give it a few days and then see where we are. Ice for two days, then heat. Keep you
shoe on if you are able. We are here if things change. If you can take something like Motrin 800 mgs one twice daily will help with the swelling and pain.

Beverly on 12/05/01 at 22:33 (066286)

Thanks, Dr. Z. I have both Vioxx and Soma muscle relaxer. (I only take the Soma at night.)

Do you mean keep my shoe on even when I'm on the sofa... off my feet?

My massage therapist worked on me today, and she says the PTT is squishy all the way up to my knee and my arch feels crunchy with some inflammation. It was also very tender to the touch for me and so she worked on me gently.
Of course, I'm frustrated because the PTT had made so much progress... the only thing on me that had!

Massage therapist thinks that if I don't feel better in a couple of days I should push to get in to doctor at least for x-ray to make sure I don't have a stress fracture. I don't think there is any way to see him but I'm sure I could at least get it x-rayed and see his PA.

I'm trying not to worry too much. I hope I have not done further damage to PTT... trying to hope this is just a temporary setback. But I will say the pain is deeper (at arch) than what I'm used to and it has been a long time since I was limping. Trying not to have a pity party.

Thanks,
Beverly

Laurie R on 12/06/01 at 00:03 (066296)

Dear Beverly , I know you were asking the doctor a question ,but I had to jump in here... Oh would'nt that be nice if I could jump. Anyway back to why I did . I feel so very bad for you . My heart sank when I read your post . I know you have been home a lot due to your foot troubles and you really take care of yourself , you sure did not deserve this to happen to you. I think you are right ,if you are still in terrible pain a x-ray would be a good idea ... Just to make sure nothing is broken and left untreated ...

Do you have a walking or air cast at home? If so maybe you can use it just til you can see the doctor .. Please keep us posted .....

Much love to you and I hope your pain is going down .....

Laurie R

Beverly on 12/06/01 at 13:12 (066329)

Thanks, Laurie and Wendy, Dr. Z. for the TLC.
It does not feel much better today. My massage therapist really got my attention when she described the difference between getting to a stress fracture early for treatment vs. waiting too long in terms of how long one is in a cast.

So, I got pushy and beggy with the doctor's office... had to really work to bypass his nurse who is slow on call backs. But I got through to his PA. I have an appointment this after noon to see the PA and get it x-rayed. Doctor is out of town.

I don't think this is bad enough to be a fracture, but I do believe I have reinjured the PTT, and so if I need to wear the brace again, I'd rather just get it over with. And at the very least, I want a refresher in the proper ace bandage wrap style for this.
Thanks,
Beverly

Laurie R on 12/06/01 at 15:45 (066345)

Dear Beverly , Please when you get back from your appointment let us know what your doctor had to say . I am very happy to hear they are going to see you today and take an x-ray . I wish you the best .Laurie R

Re: Not broken... small chance of tear... in brace till doctor can see me...

Beverly on 12/06/01 at 16:45 (066358)

You all are just terrific on your care and concern. And you helped influence me to go ahead and push to be seen.

The good news is that nothing is broken... x-ray all normal.

I was seen by the PA. He was very consciensious... nice guy. He said that there is a small chance I might have torn it. He does not think so; but to be on the safe side, he wants me to keep it stablized until the doctor can see me on Monday. (I thought the doc was going to be gone longer than that but fortunately he's back in office next week.)

I was given several choices on how to stabilize it... boot, ace bandage, or brace. I went to a medical supply store in search of a brace. (I hated the one I had before and wanted to see other choices.) I ended up with a ASO Ankle Stabilizer. The sales lady said that it is the best selling brand...what the athletes wear. I will say it is much more comfortable than what I wore before and less bulky. The old one took up too much room in my shoe. This doesn't.

So thank you for encouraging me to get seen. I learned something today. Even if the receptionist says it will take a month to see the doctor, bypass the nurse and receptionist altogether and try to see the PA. If he thinks you need to see the doctor, suddenly the schedule is open. Guess you've got to go up the power ladder.

Will keep you posted,
Beverly

Laurie R on 12/06/01 at 18:56 (066365)

Dear Beverly , I am very happy to hear that you didn't brake anythng ... I know this is going to sound funny ,but when I am in terible pain the last place I want to go is to one of my doctors . Told you this would sound funny . Here is why , for one the pain is bad and I don't want anyone to even touch my foot . So I understand this had to hard to go in ... But I am glad you did and you got an x-ray ... Broken bones are not the only thing that causes pain in out feet after a fall . Lord knows I am twisting my foot all the time ... Hang in there Beverly and you know we are all here for you .....

Also I am glad you got your appointment moved up to Monday to see the doctor .. Please let us know how your appointment turns out .....We care ...

Much love to you , I hope you are taking something for the pain ....

Laurie R

BarbaraTX on 12/06/01 at 20:12 (066368)

I am so glad that nothing's broken. I am so sorry that you are in pain again. Setbacks are scary for me. I try to remember how things were just before the setback and know that that time will come again... B.

Beverly on 12/06/01 at 20:47 (066371)

Hi Laurie and Barbara,
As usual, you guys are great! Yes, I'm taking a muscle relaxer called Soma. It is the only thing I really like when I'm miserable. It takes the edge off pain and knocks me out to sleep without being so strong that I wake up the next day with that 'hung over' yucky feeling. And I have Vioxx for the daytime.

I'm very careful with pain meds and wait until dinner time/bedtime to take them, because I'm always afraid I'll be just enough out of it to fall.
And I can't drive and take them. I'm a lightweight when it comes to drugs. A little bit knocks me out.

Laurie, I'm with you, I hate going to the doctor when my feet/ankles hurt but I'm glad I did. The reason I hate going is two fold. One, they invariably want to watch me walk barefooted or rise up on my toes. I did the toe rise once and later concluded that it would be a cold day in you know where before I rose up on those tootsies again. Fortunately, I was not asked to do that today. The PA was very cautious... fresh out of school ... wanting to do everything just right.

But mostly, I don't like going to the doctor because I'm very aware that he has exhausted all that he knows to do with me.

I will say this ASO brace is a big improvement over anything I've worn before. Also, the rhuematologist's office called. My appointment is in mid March... seems like an awfully long time to wait, but I was told it takes months to get in as a new patient.

I have two friends who lived in utter misery until they were diagnosed with rhuematoid arthritis (took several years for it to show up in their blood even though they had the pain/inflammation.) After getting on the new generation drugs for that condition, they are like changed people... radically better... living normal lives. So, although it is probably pure fantasy, I have several months to fantasize that there is a pill that might 'fix' me if the rhuematologist can figure out what's wrong.

Gonna go take my Soma and have a good buz before going night night.
Thanks for all the TLC,
Beverly

Julie on 12/07/01 at 02:02 (066381)

Beverly, I'm very glad you haven't broken anything. I wanted to say that I think you're so right about pressing for what you need. A woman in my class, who had surgery for bladder cancer recently, waited ten weeks for the histology results (anxious all that time, of course). She finally made a telephone call to the consultant and got her results (which were good) immediately. Last week she came to class and told everyone how important it is to speak up, make the telephone call, do whatever is necessary to get seen/get information/whatever. You don't necessarily _have_ to wait around in pain and anxiety.

I wish you didn't have to wait till March to see the rheumatologist, but I hope that when you do, you'll have a better idea of how to deal with whatever is causing your pain.

wendyn on 12/05/01 at 13:19 (066211)

Beverly, if you are in huge pain and you think you may have really done something, please consider going to an ER if you can't get in to your doctor.

DR Zuckerman on 12/05/01 at 20:52 (066274)

Hi

What you are doing is the right thing. Rest, ice, elevation. Give it a few days and then see where we are. Ice for two days, then heat. Keep you
shoe on if you are able. We are here if things change. If you can take something like Motrin 800 mgs one twice daily will help with the swelling and pain.

Beverly on 12/05/01 at 22:33 (066286)

Thanks, Dr. Z. I have both Vioxx and Soma muscle relaxer. (I only take the Soma at night.)

Do you mean keep my shoe on even when I'm on the sofa... off my feet?

My massage therapist worked on me today, and she says the PTT is squishy all the way up to my knee and my arch feels crunchy with some inflammation. It was also very tender to the touch for me and so she worked on me gently.
Of course, I'm frustrated because the PTT had made so much progress... the only thing on me that had!

Massage therapist thinks that if I don't feel better in a couple of days I should push to get in to doctor at least for x-ray to make sure I don't have a stress fracture. I don't think there is any way to see him but I'm sure I could at least get it x-rayed and see his PA.

I'm trying not to worry too much. I hope I have not done further damage to PTT... trying to hope this is just a temporary setback. But I will say the pain is deeper (at arch) than what I'm used to and it has been a long time since I was limping. Trying not to have a pity party.

Thanks,
Beverly

Laurie R on 12/06/01 at 00:03 (066296)

Dear Beverly , I know you were asking the doctor a question ,but I had to jump in here... Oh would'nt that be nice if I could jump. Anyway back to why I did . I feel so very bad for you . My heart sank when I read your post . I know you have been home a lot due to your foot troubles and you really take care of yourself , you sure did not deserve this to happen to you. I think you are right ,if you are still in terrible pain a x-ray would be a good idea ... Just to make sure nothing is broken and left untreated ...

Do you have a walking or air cast at home? If so maybe you can use it just til you can see the doctor .. Please keep us posted .....

Much love to you and I hope your pain is going down .....

Laurie R

Beverly on 12/06/01 at 13:12 (066329)

Thanks, Laurie and Wendy, Dr. Z. for the TLC.
It does not feel much better today. My massage therapist really got my attention when she described the difference between getting to a stress fracture early for treatment vs. waiting too long in terms of how long one is in a cast.

So, I got pushy and beggy with the doctor's office... had to really work to bypass his nurse who is slow on call backs. But I got through to his PA. I have an appointment this after noon to see the PA and get it x-rayed. Doctor is out of town.

I don't think this is bad enough to be a fracture, but I do believe I have reinjured the PTT, and so if I need to wear the brace again, I'd rather just get it over with. And at the very least, I want a refresher in the proper ace bandage wrap style for this.
Thanks,
Beverly

Laurie R on 12/06/01 at 15:45 (066345)

Dear Beverly , Please when you get back from your appointment let us know what your doctor had to say . I am very happy to hear they are going to see you today and take an x-ray . I wish you the best .Laurie R

Beverly on 12/06/01 at 16:45 (066358)

You all are just terrific on your care and concern. And you helped influence me to go ahead and push to be seen.

The good news is that nothing is broken... x-ray all normal.

I was seen by the PA. He was very consciensious... nice guy. He said that there is a small chance I might have torn it. He does not think so; but to be on the safe side, he wants me to keep it stablized until the doctor can see me on Monday. (I thought the doc was going to be gone longer than that but fortunately he's back in office next week.)

I was given several choices on how to stabilize it... boot, ace bandage, or brace. I went to a medical supply store in search of a brace. (I hated the one I had before and wanted to see other choices.) I ended up with a ASO Ankle Stabilizer. The sales lady said that it is the best selling brand...what the athletes wear. I will say it is much more comfortable than what I wore before and less bulky. The old one took up too much room in my shoe. This doesn't.

So thank you for encouraging me to get seen. I learned something today. Even if the receptionist says it will take a month to see the doctor, bypass the nurse and receptionist altogether and try to see the PA. If he thinks you need to see the doctor, suddenly the schedule is open. Guess you've got to go up the power ladder.

Will keep you posted,
Beverly

Laurie R on 12/06/01 at 18:56 (066365)

Dear Beverly , I am very happy to hear that you didn't brake anythng ... I know this is going to sound funny ,but when I am in terible pain the last place I want to go is to one of my doctors . Told you this would sound funny . Here is why , for one the pain is bad and I don't want anyone to even touch my foot . So I understand this had to hard to go in ... But I am glad you did and you got an x-ray ... Broken bones are not the only thing that causes pain in out feet after a fall . Lord knows I am twisting my foot all the time ... Hang in there Beverly and you know we are all here for you .....

Also I am glad you got your appointment moved up to Monday to see the doctor .. Please let us know how your appointment turns out .....We care ...

Much love to you , I hope you are taking something for the pain ....

Laurie R

BarbaraTX on 12/06/01 at 20:12 (066368)

I am so glad that nothing's broken. I am so sorry that you are in pain again. Setbacks are scary for me. I try to remember how things were just before the setback and know that that time will come again... B.

Beverly on 12/06/01 at 20:47 (066371)

Hi Laurie and Barbara,
As usual, you guys are great! Yes, I'm taking a muscle relaxer called Soma. It is the only thing I really like when I'm miserable. It takes the edge off pain and knocks me out to sleep without being so strong that I wake up the next day with that 'hung over' yucky feeling. And I have Vioxx for the daytime.

I'm very careful with pain meds and wait until dinner time/bedtime to take them, because I'm always afraid I'll be just enough out of it to fall.
And I can't drive and take them. I'm a lightweight when it comes to drugs. A little bit knocks me out.

Laurie, I'm with you, I hate going to the doctor when my feet/ankles hurt but I'm glad I did. The reason I hate going is two fold. One, they invariably want to watch me walk barefooted or rise up on my toes. I did the toe rise once and later concluded that it would be a cold day in you know where before I rose up on those tootsies again. Fortunately, I was not asked to do that today. The PA was very cautious... fresh out of school ... wanting to do everything just right.

But mostly, I don't like going to the doctor because I'm very aware that he has exhausted all that he knows to do with me.

I will say this ASO brace is a big improvement over anything I've worn before. Also, the rhuematologist's office called. My appointment is in mid March... seems like an awfully long time to wait, but I was told it takes months to get in as a new patient.

I have two friends who lived in utter misery until they were diagnosed with rhuematoid arthritis (took several years for it to show up in their blood even though they had the pain/inflammation.) After getting on the new generation drugs for that condition, they are like changed people... radically better... living normal lives. So, although it is probably pure fantasy, I have several months to fantasize that there is a pill that might 'fix' me if the rhuematologist can figure out what's wrong.

Gonna go take my Soma and have a good buz before going night night.
Thanks for all the TLC,
Beverly

Julie on 12/07/01 at 02:02 (066381)

Beverly, I'm very glad you haven't broken anything. I wanted to say that I think you're so right about pressing for what you need. A woman in my class, who had surgery for bladder cancer recently, waited ten weeks for the histology results (anxious all that time, of course). She finally made a telephone call to the consultant and got her results (which were good) immediately. Last week she came to class and told everyone how important it is to speak up, make the telephone call, do whatever is necessary to get seen/get information/whatever. You don't necessarily _have_ to wait around in pain and anxiety.

I wish you didn't have to wait till March to see the rheumatologist, but I hope that when you do, you'll have a better idea of how to deal with whatever is causing your pain.