Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Brian G on Stampede - view discretion is advised

Posted by wendyn on 12/05/01 at 13:41 (066213)

I will share a little bit on some Stampede memories....specifically the part that revolves around the copious amounts of draft beer.

Remember that the majority of the people who are out partying Stampede week, are people who may never over indulge or go to a bar for the remainder of the year. For the the other 51 weeks not Stampede, they are normal hard working, pepsi drinking, decent folks....but then every July.....

For several years, my coworkers and I went to a 'drinking establishment' near where I work - on the last Friday of the Stampede. 'Drinking establishment' is a very generous term...it's an old hotel - a real 'hole' that most of us would NEVER go into even to use the phone. Very rough place.

But, once a year - every bar is packed and this place hires a band...and it just seemed like a good place to be. Plus, it's a different crowd because of Stampdede.

One year, I had a vague recollection of some other people in the bar actually drinking shooters out of some guys belly button. At work later in the week, we laughed about it and referred to them from that point on as the 'navel sucking people'.

The following Stampede, at the same place, the same group of us were sitting down to a jug of draft beer....and one coworker pointed out a group of people seated near us. 'Those are the navel sucking people from last year!'.

I gave them the once over and said 'No way' - these were perfectly normal, respectable business people having a quiet beverage...she must be mistaken.

Well, shore 'nuff - several hours and jugs of beer later...this same group of people have the same business guy up laying on the table...shirt up, pouring shooters into his big hairy belly button. I was wondering if they checked it for lint first.

His female coworkers (and even a few men!) were sucking these things right out his navel.

GROSS

I remember another time watching my then fiance (can't believe I married him after this) and his buddies drinking beer from their cowboy boots.

BLEH!

Anyway, this should give you an idea of what it's like....

At least most people are responsible enough to have their fun, take a cab home, and just return to their normal lives.

I think you would like it Brian!

Re: Brian G on Stampede - view discretion is advised

BrianG on 12/09/01 at 21:07 (066605)

Oh Wendy, and to think I almost missed this!!! Hhahaha, yes, in my former pain free life I would have fit right in. I guess the closest I have come to Stampede is Speedweeks at Daytona. Coyboys, stock cars, it's all the same when you are having your once a year blow out. The Place to be was the local Hooters resturant :*) At least twice we had my buddies wife under the table passed out, because they would not let her sit inside if she could not hold her head up, hahahaaa. Oh, and then there was the arm wrestling wringer. I have no idea where this guy came from, but he never lost. He was in the Hooter's all day, taking on a new comer ever hour for something like a $100 or $200 a shot. Guys didn't even last 30 seconds most of the time. Then he'd sit and drink, while resting his arm for the next sucker. This went on all week !!! Heck, I bet he was even at Stampede. A different 'show' every week, Bike week, Mardi Gras, Superbowl, etc. But, no navel, shot shooters, hahahaaa

Thanks for the laugh
BCG

John h on 12/10/01 at 18:18 (066646)

Wendy: When I lived in Cheyenne, Wyoming we had 'Cheyenne Days' which is probably one of the bigger 1 week rodeos, bar drinking, street fighting events in the USA. Our most famous rodeo stars are always there and downtown Cheyenne is something to behold during that week. Cheyenne is a real western town anyway. The base I was stationed at there was an old Calvary Base and my on base house was built around 1900 (7 bedrooms,3 floors, 7 fireplaces and windows that must have been 12 feet high in some rooms, dumb waiter, and a poarch on each floor.)

nancy s. on 12/10/01 at 18:25 (066650)

i'll leave the subject line as is, though it doesn't apply here. i just thought i'd let you wild and cosmopolitan folks know what kind of festivities we celebrate here in maine:
every year around this time the town of farmington celebrates Chester Greenwood Day. he invented the earmuffs, in 1837 or something like that. i own two pairs of chester greenwoods myself.

john h on 12/11/01 at 11:07 (066709)

Nancy S: Do you live near Jessica Fletcher? Seems like there is a lot of crime in that little Maine fishing village. I do not know where you noticed but Arkansas played Maine in basketball. We certainly are not cosmopolitan here in Arkansas the home of Lum and Abner. The wildest thing that came out of here was Bill Clinton.

wendyn on 12/11/01 at 13:25 (066724)

Wow Nancy. You live in a party town. What do you do to celebrate the earmuff day?

BrianG on 12/11/01 at 16:00 (066738)

I bet they streak Main St. wearing only their ear muffs. One for the ears, the other for........ Well, you know. Thats why she owns two pairs !! :*)

Re: Brian G on Stampede - -EARMUFFS. view discretion is advised

nancy s. on 12/11/01 at 17:38 (066760)

wendy, unfortunately i don't live in farmington, so i don't actually get to experience chester greenwood day, dang it. i read of a parade, though. not much description of it; i prefer brian's description and think he must be right, because that's EXACTLY why i have two pairs of chester greenwood earmuffs: one for my ears and one for the wild girl still hiding in me.
john, yes! jessica fletcher lives just down the street from me. we're all so glad to have her for a neighbor. without her, there wouldn't be a murder every week and life would be SO dull! (i love her old typewriter and would like one for my antiques shop, but she won't give it up.)
she makes lovely fruitcakes every christmas, for all who deserve one, if you catch my drift. oh yum ... not.
nancy

BrianG on 12/09/01 at 21:07 (066605)

Oh Wendy, and to think I almost missed this!!! Hhahaha, yes, in my former pain free life I would have fit right in. I guess the closest I have come to Stampede is Speedweeks at Daytona. Coyboys, stock cars, it's all the same when you are having your once a year blow out. The Place to be was the local Hooters resturant :*) At least twice we had my buddies wife under the table passed out, because they would not let her sit inside if she could not hold her head up, hahahaaa. Oh, and then there was the arm wrestling wringer. I have no idea where this guy came from, but he never lost. He was in the Hooter's all day, taking on a new comer ever hour for something like a $100 or $200 a shot. Guys didn't even last 30 seconds most of the time. Then he'd sit and drink, while resting his arm for the next sucker. This went on all week !!! Heck, I bet he was even at Stampede. A different 'show' every week, Bike week, Mardi Gras, Superbowl, etc. But, no navel, shot shooters, hahahaaa

Thanks for the laugh
BCG

John h on 12/10/01 at 18:18 (066646)

Wendy: When I lived in Cheyenne, Wyoming we had 'Cheyenne Days' which is probably one of the bigger 1 week rodeos, bar drinking, street fighting events in the USA. Our most famous rodeo stars are always there and downtown Cheyenne is something to behold during that week. Cheyenne is a real western town anyway. The base I was stationed at there was an old Calvary Base and my on base house was built around 1900 (7 bedrooms,3 floors, 7 fireplaces and windows that must have been 12 feet high in some rooms, dumb waiter, and a poarch on each floor.)

nancy s. on 12/10/01 at 18:25 (066650)

i'll leave the subject line as is, though it doesn't apply here. i just thought i'd let you wild and cosmopolitan folks know what kind of festivities we celebrate here in maine:
every year around this time the town of farmington celebrates Chester Greenwood Day. he invented the earmuffs, in 1837 or something like that. i own two pairs of chester greenwoods myself.

john h on 12/11/01 at 11:07 (066709)

Nancy S: Do you live near Jessica Fletcher? Seems like there is a lot of crime in that little Maine fishing village. I do not know where you noticed but Arkansas played Maine in basketball. We certainly are not cosmopolitan here in Arkansas the home of Lum and Abner. The wildest thing that came out of here was Bill Clinton.

wendyn on 12/11/01 at 13:25 (066724)

Wow Nancy. You live in a party town. What do you do to celebrate the earmuff day?

BrianG on 12/11/01 at 16:00 (066738)

I bet they streak Main St. wearing only their ear muffs. One for the ears, the other for........ Well, you know. Thats why she owns two pairs !! :*)

Re: Brian G on Stampede - -EARMUFFS. view discretion is advised

nancy s. on 12/11/01 at 17:38 (066760)

wendy, unfortunately i don't live in farmington, so i don't actually get to experience chester greenwood day, dang it. i read of a parade, though. not much description of it; i prefer brian's description and think he must be right, because that's EXACTLY why i have two pairs of chester greenwood earmuffs: one for my ears and one for the wild girl still hiding in me.
john, yes! jessica fletcher lives just down the street from me. we're all so glad to have her for a neighbor. without her, there wouldn't be a murder every week and life would be SO dull! (i love her old typewriter and would like one for my antiques shop, but she won't give it up.)
she makes lovely fruitcakes every christmas, for all who deserve one, if you catch my drift. oh yum ... not.
nancy