Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Update on my appt with Orthopedic Surgeon in Oct

Posted by CatherineL on 12/06/01 at 14:16 (066337)

It's a down day, and I'm in a blah mood...

My dr finally received the recommendations from the ortho surgeon (he was pretty good), which outline:

-Wearing a night splint for min. 3 months (I'm on week 6)
-Reumatologist to rule out other problems - his office is making an appt
-In Feb. if the above have not helped, then a walking boot.
-ESWT was mentioned as a possiblity, but it is not available here and our provincial plan doesn't provide any coverage, so, it will cost the flight, accomodations, etc and estimated $1200/treatment.

The night splint seemed to be helping, but it was probably more the fact that I was sick for a month and not on my feet as much, as well as taking tylenol 3's at the time. The past week, I've been back to my old pace, and the pain is constant.

Other than that, I think I've tried it all. It's been over 1-1/2 yrs and I feel like I'm losing hope. I hate being so limited (like all of us do), without much hope in sight.

Catherine

Re: Update on my appt with Orthopedic Surgeon in Oct

D.Thomas on 12/06/01 at 14:48 (066338)

CatherineL,

Have you given taping a fair chance? I firmly believe in taping from stopping you from reinjuring the fascia over and over if you have PF. I have been getting my feet taped for the past three months and it has helped a ton along with careful stretching done everyday with icing afterwards. It is a very slow process that has taken months to get anywhere, but these two things have helped me the most.

Pauline on 12/06/01 at 15:14 (066341)

Catherine,
I'd try the taping that was suggested along with everything else you are doing. It does help support the fascia.

Does anyone remember that song I believe in taping I believe in love or was that music and love?

The one thing about PF is that it really takes it's own time. I still tape from time to time if I'm going to walk any distance, just to be on the safe side. I ice afterwards and of course rest every now and then. The last case I had for about 18 months that was short compared to the first so I feel lucky. Hopefully you will begin to see more results soon.

CatherineL on 12/06/01 at 15:54 (066348)

Hi,

Thanx for the replys...

Yes... I've taped for several months, and it did help, but as soon as I stopped, I was right back to square one within a day or two.

The things that have helped are:
taping
laser
vioxx

The laser was the best. If I do them all perfectly for a couple of months, I'm almost symptom free, but since I work full-time, days, I haven't been able to keep going for laser 2x/wk since it is over an hour away and only run til 4 p.m. As soon as I stopped laser, I was in pain again within a couple of weeks.

I should probably try them all again, with the night splint combo. It's just really difficult to drive to the next city 2x/wk for 6 weeks, especially since it didn't cure me the first or second time around. But a third time, might be the cure. I'm just getting sick of it all...

Just got a call this aft... My reumetologist appt is Jan 29th.

I also suffer severe migraines, and feeling the same way with that, so maybe it's a funk I'm in right now.

???
Thanx again...
Catherine

Julie on 12/06/01 at 16:01 (066351)

D. Thomas I am so glad that taping has been helping you!

Catherine, if taping helped you before, it will help you again. Return to it, and don't stop until you are really, really better.

D.Thomas on 12/06/01 at 16:37 (066357)

CatherineL,

Why did you give up taping if it was working? And if taping was helping, alot of people believe that orthotics will also work and help support and heal the fascia. I'm sorry but I haven't heard your story, so I don't know if you have tried any orthotics.

I will not stop taping until I have no pain, and I bet the fear of it coming back will keep me taping for a while after the pain has gone. But the strecthing is very, very important to me in getting better. The taping is only helping me from the reinjury, where the stretching is helping to develop my range of motion and strength, which according to my Pod are my most important allies to success and being pain free. My orthotics correct for my biomechincal problems and also help. I did alot of searching and asking the doctors here to help understand exactly what orthotics I needed. I just didn't rely on the Pod. Becuase I have had many different orthotics and most of them were wrong and made my problem worse. Believe me, I almost gave up a couple of times, and I really don't know what kept me going when it was really bad and I couldn't even stand, but you just have to keep on keeping on. I can't count how many setbacks I have had, but I just try and learn from them so I don't do them again.

D.Thomas on 12/07/01 at 08:22 (066391)

Thanks Julie. However, I still have a way to go and I did have a setback this week becuase I was on a ladder all weekend replacing ceiling fans and light fixtures at my house. My feet are not very happy this week, but they are improving slowly overall. Keep on keeping on.

CatherineL on 12/07/01 at 08:26 (066392)

HI all,

My story, summed up: small feet, high arch, underpronate, w/pf
I've tried the following in many combinations for 1 1/2 years:

store-bought inserts, heel pads, arch supports
better shoes (Ecco, Birkenstock-a-likes , Deerstags, Etonics)
custom orthotics (two)
naproxen
Vioxx
taping
Phisiotherapy - 3 phisiotherapists
massage therapy
Less time on my feet
anelgesic cream
night splint (on my second month)
2 drs (my dr. and sport & injury dr.)
Ortho Surgeon - surgery not recommended
Ice
Heat
Stretching
NEVER go barefoot
Laser therapy
cortisone

What helps:

Vioxx, Taping, Laser, Orthotics, less time on my feet, ART

Options Left:

ESWT, Podiatrist

The taping has helped, but it only helped about 10%.

I was thinking last night that maybe I'll go back to laser & taping along with the ART, Vioxx, Night splint I'm already doing.

If I can keep it all up for about 2-3 months, maybe, just maybe, it will be a cure for me. I hate being so limited. I do too much some days until I can't walk anymore because of the level of pain, and always left wishing I could do more.

Thanx
Catherine

Re: D. Thomas

Carole C on 12/07/01 at 09:21 (066397)

(moved my response to D. Thomas to the 'Social/support board)

john h on 12/07/01 at 09:25 (066399)

I know a lot of people have gone to a Remuatologist to rule out other problems but I have never seen anyone post that a Remuatologist found anything in his field of expertise that caused PF. I have seen where they have found bone spurs but as to some form of arthritis causing the PF symptoms has anyone ever had some experience that I have not seen posted?

Carole C on 12/07/01 at 09:35 (066403)

My rheumatologist was the first (and so far the only) professional that I approached about this. I have severe osteoarthritis, and didn't know if that was causing my heel pain. I have read that it can definitely cause pain in various parts of the foot. Osteoarthritis causes pain in joints, and there are a lot of those in the foot. He has a great x-ray in his office, and took big clear x-rays of my astonishingly wicked looking heelspurs.

He said that in my case, due to the sudden onset they were probably caused by repetitive motion and probably enhanced by wearing a badly fitting pair of shoes that I abandoned long before seeing him. He did not indicate that heel spurs were related to my osteoarthritis.

I apologized to him profusely for approaching him with a medical problem outside of his field of expertise. But, he said that he deals with heel spurs all the time. I suppose that is because overweight people often have problems with osteoarthritis and bone spurs, both.

He did a pretty reasonable examination, checking my range of motion and watching me walk, and so on, and he upped my Celebrex dosage and referred me to a pedorthist who I will see for the first time on Monday. However, if that does not help much, I may try to find a podiatrist. I am SO AGGRAVATED by this pain and having to rest all the time instead of living my life!!! I hope Blue Cross/Blue Shield will pay for some of this.

Carole

Re: more about osteoarthritis and PF

Carole C on 12/07/01 at 09:38 (066406)

PS..... my rheumatologist described what happens in the foot as a lot of different things like PF, heelspurs, bursitis, and more, that are sort of a syndrome with each symptom causing more and interacting. He didn't say, but maybe joint pain from osteoarthritis can be involved in this. I'd think a person might walk pretty strangely with that kind of pain, and that could cause some of the other symptoms to arise eventually, perhaps?

Carole

john h on 12/07/01 at 09:41 (066408)

d. thomas you and judy s. should exchange notes as she is also a big time ceiling fan replacer. I always manage to spill some oil that goes in the little container on the Hunter fans which screws up the carpet and makes my wife mad.

D.Thomas on 12/06/01 at 14:48 (066338)

CatherineL,

Have you given taping a fair chance? I firmly believe in taping from stopping you from reinjuring the fascia over and over if you have PF. I have been getting my feet taped for the past three months and it has helped a ton along with careful stretching done everyday with icing afterwards. It is a very slow process that has taken months to get anywhere, but these two things have helped me the most.

Pauline on 12/06/01 at 15:14 (066341)

Catherine,
I'd try the taping that was suggested along with everything else you are doing. It does help support the fascia.

Does anyone remember that song I believe in taping I believe in love or was that music and love?

The one thing about PF is that it really takes it's own time. I still tape from time to time if I'm going to walk any distance, just to be on the safe side. I ice afterwards and of course rest every now and then. The last case I had for about 18 months that was short compared to the first so I feel lucky. Hopefully you will begin to see more results soon.

CatherineL on 12/06/01 at 15:54 (066348)

Hi,

Thanx for the replys...

Yes... I've taped for several months, and it did help, but as soon as I stopped, I was right back to square one within a day or two.

The things that have helped are:
taping
laser
vioxx

The laser was the best. If I do them all perfectly for a couple of months, I'm almost symptom free, but since I work full-time, days, I haven't been able to keep going for laser 2x/wk since it is over an hour away and only run til 4 p.m. As soon as I stopped laser, I was in pain again within a couple of weeks.

I should probably try them all again, with the night splint combo. It's just really difficult to drive to the next city 2x/wk for 6 weeks, especially since it didn't cure me the first or second time around. But a third time, might be the cure. I'm just getting sick of it all...

Just got a call this aft... My reumetologist appt is Jan 29th.

I also suffer severe migraines, and feeling the same way with that, so maybe it's a funk I'm in right now.

???
Thanx again...
Catherine

Julie on 12/06/01 at 16:01 (066351)

D. Thomas I am so glad that taping has been helping you!

Catherine, if taping helped you before, it will help you again. Return to it, and don't stop until you are really, really better.

D.Thomas on 12/06/01 at 16:37 (066357)

CatherineL,

Why did you give up taping if it was working? And if taping was helping, alot of people believe that orthotics will also work and help support and heal the fascia. I'm sorry but I haven't heard your story, so I don't know if you have tried any orthotics.

I will not stop taping until I have no pain, and I bet the fear of it coming back will keep me taping for a while after the pain has gone. But the strecthing is very, very important to me in getting better. The taping is only helping me from the reinjury, where the stretching is helping to develop my range of motion and strength, which according to my Pod are my most important allies to success and being pain free. My orthotics correct for my biomechincal problems and also help. I did alot of searching and asking the doctors here to help understand exactly what orthotics I needed. I just didn't rely on the Pod. Becuase I have had many different orthotics and most of them were wrong and made my problem worse. Believe me, I almost gave up a couple of times, and I really don't know what kept me going when it was really bad and I couldn't even stand, but you just have to keep on keeping on. I can't count how many setbacks I have had, but I just try and learn from them so I don't do them again.

D.Thomas on 12/07/01 at 08:22 (066391)

Thanks Julie. However, I still have a way to go and I did have a setback this week becuase I was on a ladder all weekend replacing ceiling fans and light fixtures at my house. My feet are not very happy this week, but they are improving slowly overall. Keep on keeping on.

CatherineL on 12/07/01 at 08:26 (066392)

HI all,

My story, summed up: small feet, high arch, underpronate, w/pf
I've tried the following in many combinations for 1 1/2 years:

store-bought inserts, heel pads, arch supports
better shoes (Ecco, Birkenstock-a-likes , Deerstags, Etonics)
custom orthotics (two)
naproxen
Vioxx
taping
Phisiotherapy - 3 phisiotherapists
massage therapy
Less time on my feet
anelgesic cream
night splint (on my second month)
2 drs (my dr. and sport & injury dr.)
Ortho Surgeon - surgery not recommended
Ice
Heat
Stretching
NEVER go barefoot
Laser therapy
cortisone

What helps:

Vioxx, Taping, Laser, Orthotics, less time on my feet, ART

Options Left:

ESWT, Podiatrist

The taping has helped, but it only helped about 10%.

I was thinking last night that maybe I'll go back to laser & taping along with the ART, Vioxx, Night splint I'm already doing.

If I can keep it all up for about 2-3 months, maybe, just maybe, it will be a cure for me. I hate being so limited. I do too much some days until I can't walk anymore because of the level of pain, and always left wishing I could do more.

Thanx
Catherine

Re: D. Thomas

Carole C on 12/07/01 at 09:21 (066397)

(moved my response to D. Thomas to the 'Social/support board)

john h on 12/07/01 at 09:25 (066399)

I know a lot of people have gone to a Remuatologist to rule out other problems but I have never seen anyone post that a Remuatologist found anything in his field of expertise that caused PF. I have seen where they have found bone spurs but as to some form of arthritis causing the PF symptoms has anyone ever had some experience that I have not seen posted?

Carole C on 12/07/01 at 09:35 (066403)

My rheumatologist was the first (and so far the only) professional that I approached about this. I have severe osteoarthritis, and didn't know if that was causing my heel pain. I have read that it can definitely cause pain in various parts of the foot. Osteoarthritis causes pain in joints, and there are a lot of those in the foot. He has a great x-ray in his office, and took big clear x-rays of my astonishingly wicked looking heelspurs.

He said that in my case, due to the sudden onset they were probably caused by repetitive motion and probably enhanced by wearing a badly fitting pair of shoes that I abandoned long before seeing him. He did not indicate that heel spurs were related to my osteoarthritis.

I apologized to him profusely for approaching him with a medical problem outside of his field of expertise. But, he said that he deals with heel spurs all the time. I suppose that is because overweight people often have problems with osteoarthritis and bone spurs, both.

He did a pretty reasonable examination, checking my range of motion and watching me walk, and so on, and he upped my Celebrex dosage and referred me to a pedorthist who I will see for the first time on Monday. However, if that does not help much, I may try to find a podiatrist. I am SO AGGRAVATED by this pain and having to rest all the time instead of living my life!!! I hope Blue Cross/Blue Shield will pay for some of this.

Carole

Re: more about osteoarthritis and PF

Carole C on 12/07/01 at 09:38 (066406)

PS..... my rheumatologist described what happens in the foot as a lot of different things like PF, heelspurs, bursitis, and more, that are sort of a syndrome with each symptom causing more and interacting. He didn't say, but maybe joint pain from osteoarthritis can be involved in this. I'd think a person might walk pretty strangely with that kind of pain, and that could cause some of the other symptoms to arise eventually, perhaps?

Carole

john h on 12/07/01 at 09:41 (066408)

d. thomas you and judy s. should exchange notes as she is also a big time ceiling fan replacer. I always manage to spill some oil that goes in the little container on the Hunter fans which screws up the carpet and makes my wife mad.