Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

People in Birkenstocks who, um, are not light in weight!

Posted by Carole C on 12/07/01 at 09:03 (066394)

I was wondering if anybody else who is heavy (perhaps over 250 pounds?) with PF has tried Birkenstocks, and if so, did you have the same experience with them than me?

In another thread, I was discussing with Julie about how my Birkenstocks don't seem to push 'up' on my arch any more like they did during the break in period (and that pushing 'up' seems to help me a whole lot). Instead, they conform to the shape of my nearly flat feet. Although I've lost 78 pounds in the past year (and still working on it with Weight Watchers), I'm presently 267 pounds. Normally I'd be terribly embarrassed to say this, but the pain and misery of PF has made me shameless! ha ha I had no problems at all with my feet until Sept. 22nd, which was about the time I dropped below 270.

When the shoes were partially broken in, on days 3 and 4 of the break-in period, they felt like pillows pushing up firmly up on my arch area, and this arch bump on my shoes supported much of my weight. As I walked, my foor would roll over the arch bumps and this felt like a massage. All in all, they felt SO GOOD. Even when I was sitting, I'd roll my foot inward to grind my arch into the arch bump because it felt nice.

Now, my arches touch the footbed evenly whether sitting or standing, but I do not feel that the footbed is actually pushing up on them and letting my arches bear some of my weight while I walk. All it does is keep them from sinking.

I'd be interested in the Birkenstock experiences of those who are heavier than average. You don't have to say how much heavier! LOL Thanks

Carole

Re: People in Birkenstocks who, um, are not light in weight!

Mari W. on 12/29/01 at 16:39 (068097)

Hi there -

I bounce btn 220 & 230. I don't have the problem you're experiencing with the birkenstock, but I do know that the cork foot bed does conform to the foot somewhat. I got my first birks at the end of June. I wore them 100% of the time. In August, I got my 2nd pair, and I noticed that the arch on the newer pair seemed higher/more firm than on the first pair. In September I got a third pair, same thing. I think with time they do mold to the foot somewhat, so a new pair feels really good if you're looking for that firm arch. I wear my clogs to work & switch to sandals at home & it's working fine for me so far. I'm totally flatfooted as well. The pain is not gone 100% but so much improved since I've started w/ the birks.
Hope this helps.

Mari

Re: People in Birkenstocks who, um, are not light in weight!

Mari W. on 12/29/01 at 16:39 (068097)

Hi there -

I bounce btn 220 & 230. I don't have the problem you're experiencing with the birkenstock, but I do know that the cork foot bed does conform to the foot somewhat. I got my first birks at the end of June. I wore them 100% of the time. In August, I got my 2nd pair, and I noticed that the arch on the newer pair seemed higher/more firm than on the first pair. In September I got a third pair, same thing. I think with time they do mold to the foot somewhat, so a new pair feels really good if you're looking for that firm arch. I wear my clogs to work & switch to sandals at home & it's working fine for me so far. I'm totally flatfooted as well. The pain is not gone 100% but so much improved since I've started w/ the birks.
Hope this helps.

Mari