Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

D. Thomas

Posted by Carole C on 12/07/01 at 09:24 (066398)

GEE, you like to live dangerously, don't you! You must have been feeling a LOT better if you were brave enough to climb ladders, especially dealing with awkward equipment like ceiling fans and light fixtures!! That had to have stretched your plantar fascia pretty severely, I'd think.

In my life right now, things like this just have to wait. I hate this fact, but for me it is definitely the case. Rest is mandatory if I am to keep my pain low enough to stay out of the funny farm. I can't even wash dishes or cook, so I'm existing on Lean Cuisine microwave meals and Wendy's drive-through grilled chicken sandwiches. My christmas shopping (and wrapping, and mailing) will be done online.

I am so tired of RESTING!!!!!!!!

I have two dates on Saturday, but I will be able to rest. First, a lunch date with somebody new. I'll eat a salad and talk, and then go. Then, I'll drive 100 miles for a dinner date with the man who has been my more or less steady date for the past year. Afterwards we will go to a party at some friends' house, but I will be able to sit on the sofa and rest.

I'd RATHER be doing more active things, but at least I can get away from the TV and computer and do something!! LOL

Carole

Re: D. Thomas

john h on 12/07/01 at 09:51 (066413)

Carol you devil! a date in the morning and then drive 100 miles to your other date. Who said men were scoundrals?

D.Thomas on 12/07/01 at 10:10 (066422)

Carole C,

If it wasn't for this nice taping I get from my Pod (low dye technique with a cambell strap) there is no way I could have done what I have done the past three months. I have had PF going on 8 years, but have never had pain like I have had this year. Long story, but suffice to say that for about three months I could not stand up and walk without major pain. The inflammation I was getting all day long was unbelieveable. I had to keep my feet elevated about 90% of the day, or the pain was to much. I don't want to talk about the long nights I never slept. I learned to sleep with my feet rested on pillows so they are above my body all night. I have not taken a shower (I take only baths) for the past 5 months, and I hate taken baths.

I got married in April and bought a house in May. The house needed some major work. I statred working on it September 15th and it has been my second job. My Dad has been here twice with my Brother and Uncle to help me finish becuase there is alot I cannot do. I have lived on my knees getting stuff done.

With all the shit I have been through this year, it is amazing I have been able to accomplish what I have done with all this pain. I won't even get into how tough the PF is to deal with in a new marriage.

However, I do consider myself lucky, I really don't know how the mom's out there deal with PF. I think they are the real PF heroes for me. I can't imagine having to deal with kids and PF at the same time. Talk about stress.

Anyway, sorry about the length and I truly hope you get better soon. As I have said before, nobody deserves dealing with this pain and how it can rob your life. Nobody.

Carole C on 12/07/01 at 10:12 (066423)

(giggle) Well, I'm pretty happy to be able to have some fun for a change rather than just sitting around hurting! LOL I need some ESCAPE!!!!! :)

My usually steady date for the past year and a half, who lives 100 miles away (Bobbie), knows. He is wonderful, and divorced just like me. We see each other a lot, but I wish he lived closer to me.

I met both of these men online (but I am careful about meeting men this way, especially at first). The new date doesn't know about Bobbie yet. I'm not sure the new guy has any potential; he doesn't really seem like my type of guy, but he kept pushing to have lunch, and I thought, 'why not, it's not like my calendar is full!' If it looks like we might have a second date, then maybe I will tell him about Bobbie! (grin)

The lunch date will be at Bennigans, and I have a handicapped plate so that will probably not involve much walking. He has already promised it will be just lunch and nothing more.

The dinner date also will not involve much walking. :)

Carole

Carole C on 12/07/01 at 10:21 (066425)

D. Thomas, I guess I am experiencing some pain similar to what you have experienced for the past 3 months. I cannot walk without a lot of pain most of the time (although some days are better) and I have been taking sponge baths (and really hurt my feet with a 2 minute shower last weekend, which was stupid of me).

I hope that you get better quickly! Maybe it would help to encourage your wife to read the message board. It might help her to understand that you just can't do certain things right now. I suspect that she probably would rather have a husband who is free of severe pain, than to have a ceiling fan that works.

Good luck with your feet, and watch out for those stairs and ladders! (smile)

Carole

Carole C on 12/07/01 at 10:31 (066427)

Oops, I meant I've been feeling similar to the three months before you were taped. Maybe taping will help me.

Re: shower

rebecca h on 12/07/01 at 12:46 (066448)

Try this: Put a thick towel down folded in half or thirds. Then put another one on top rolled to fit under your arches. start the shower. Then step on the towels. Worked well for me. The only drawback is the sopping wet towels. but they can be taken care of later.

Happy Feet to YOU!
rebecca

Carole C on 12/07/01 at 12:49 (066449)

I am going to HAVE to try this before my two dates tomorrow. I just don't feel clean when I can't take a shower. Last weekend, I thought of doing that and then I thought 'oh well, if I just shower for a few seconds it won't make any difference.

Surprise! It did. Guess I had to learn the hard way. Thanks for the help and encouragement in this thread.

Carole

Re: Shower blues but squeaky clean now

Carole C on 12/08/01 at 09:16 (066507)

OUCH!!!! I just took my shower. I have zero talent for this!!! I tried folding towels and stepping on them, but I am not very good at it yet. I couldn't figure out how to get my foot positioned right, even though I thought that would be easy; but no matter how I stepped on the rolled up towel, it felt startlingly painful, for some reason. And as it got wet, it kept sinking.

And then if I got it sort of right, I would eventually turn to wash the other side for a while, and that would mess me up. I do have a shower massager on a long cord, so if I had been smart I would have just stood there and moved the shower, rather than moving myself. Another problem was getting out. My Birkenstocks were right there, but I didn't want to put them on until my feet were dry, so I found myself standing on the floor (well on the shower mat on the floor) drying my feet..... probably not the best way to get out of my shower/tub combination. My feet hurt enough that I put my Birkenstocks back on when they were only mostly dry, still a little damp, and I hope this doesn't harm the shoes. In hindsight, I should have sat on the toilet to dry my feet but it didn't occur to me at the time.

At least I got my hair washed and squeaky clean. That's pretty critical when you've been doing sponge baths for a while. I think I still want to get the shower Birkenstocks so I can stand and move around in the shower, if possible. But, I will wait until after my pedorthis appointment on Monday and see what she has to say (only 49.5 hours left to wait!)

I also want to try taking a bath instead. I stopped taking baths a few years ago before PF, when my osteoarthritis got so bad in my knees. But, with celebrex, and having lost weight, maybe I should try again now.

If my feet EVER feel good enough to do stop resting and go do this, I want to buy a couple of stools. One for the kitchen, and one for brushing my teeth, doing my make-up, fixing my hair, and so on in front of the bathroom mirror. This sort of thing can make me feel so much better about myself, and it's hard to stand there long enough to do a good job of it even though it doesn't take that long. I guess the guys must have a similar problem, because PF would give them a pretty hard time shaving, too.

Right now, I'm just luxuriating in the feeling of being completely clean and sweet smelling. Maybe I will massage my feet with hand lotion now..... that makes me feel more pampered and feminine too.

Carole

Julie on 12/08/01 at 09:37 (066515)

Carole: go to any of the Birkenstock websites and order yourself a pair of Birkis. They're sandals made of a plasticky stuff called Birkoflor, and are for use in water. If you order from the German site you'll have to pay extra for airmail.

Carole C on 12/08/01 at 10:38 (066518)

Right! Two minds with a single thought. Since my first appointment with the pedorthist is Monday morning (exactly 48 hours from now! yippee), I thought I'd wait and ask what she thinks. She also sells Birkenstock, although I have no idea of her prices or what she has available immediately.

I want to order both the plasticky ones for the shower, and probably some Arizonas too, either the original Arizonas or else in the higher arch Tatami configuration.

The plasticky ones won't require break-in, but the Arizonas will. If she decides on custom orthotics, I will be sure to break those in first before breaking in the Arizonas (after reading the experiences of others who were breaking in both at once and had trouble).

You know what's amazing? I spent 53 years on this earth before getting PF or any type of foot problem at all (other than blisters or stepping on things that injured my foot), and during that time I have always been a person that owned one, or no more than two, pairs of shoes, and kept them for 5 years or so. I know that's not most peoples' choice, but I never had a problem with it for over half a century.

Now, I feel so FIXATED on shoes! I have bought 3 pairs since getting PF in late September, and if I get the plasticky ones, the Arizonas, and possibly another type of shoe with orthotics if my pedorthist recommends that, then that will make 6 pairs.

I've always gently teased my grown daughter about her love for shoes, calling her 'Imelda' and so on. Her love for shoes is driven by fashion. I was afraid that any future husband would be appalled at her collection of 5-10 pairs of shoes at any given time. Well, I guess that now I have become 'Imelda' too! Unlike my daughter's shoes, all my shoes are clunky and ugly but I don't care at all about that. LOL

Carole C

Re: another thing I do and a wheelchair adventure

rebecca h on 12/08/01 at 10:45 (066520)

Carole

When I get out of the tub Or shower I also have a few towels folded to make a cushy arch support when I step out. It uses up alot of towels but its worth it. I use the biggest thickest ones I have. I'm taking the 'never walk or stand barefoot' thing pretty seriously.

Yesterday I went with my husband and 2yrold to Walmart to Christmas shop. The mechanized wheelchair was out of order but they did have a regular one.
I ended up rolling myself since he of course had to push little guy in the cart. My arms got very tired. After a while we figured out that he could push me while I held on to the front of the cart the baby was in. We made quite a spectacle but it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It helped that we got there at 8am so the store was pretty empty. Oh the things we do to deal with PR!!!! : )

Have fun today and stay safe on the road!
rebecca

Carole C on 12/08/01 at 11:15 (066523)

I think you are smart to take the 'never walk or stand barefoot' thing seriously. More than once I have found myself drifting off to sleep in bed, and then realized I still have my Birkenstocks on LOL

My arms get worn out with a wheelchair too, and Walmart in my area doesn't ever seem to have mechanized ones available. Your husband sounds like he's being pretty sweet about all this. I'll bet your two year old thought it was fun! :)

Carole C

Julie on 12/08/01 at 12:02 (066528)

Carole, my post made no sense, because it seems that whenever the first four letters of the word Birkenstock are typed, the blue link automatically appears - even if Birkenstock isn't the word that was typed.

The shoes I was trying to tell you about are called (I'll try to outwit the programme)

B.I.R.K.I.

and the material they're made of is

B.I.R.K.O.F.L.O.R.

I've had a pair for over a year and use them all the time at the pool. The footbed isn't identical to the Arizona, though they look the same, and they aren't as comfortable (for me) but they'll do for support in the shower.

I think you've been carrying shoe-frugality too far! If you've been wearing one or two pairs of shoes for five years the inevitable wear could have contributed to your present problems. That reminds me, regarding your forthcoming orthotics, that orthotics are only as good as the shoes they are worn in. You'll have to investigate shoes, too: the pedorthist should be able to recommend.

Re: Test

Julie on 12/08/01 at 12:03 (066529)

Birk

Re: Chaco River shoes for shower shoes

Beverly on 12/08/01 at 13:50 (066531)

I wear Chaco River shoes for my shower shoes. They adjust with a strap holding my foot snugly. I like them because they have more arch support than any other water shoe I've tried. I've found them in outdoorsmen sports stores... especially places geared towards hiking.
(Ha. Ha. My 'hike' is to wear them from the bedroom to the bath tub!)

I wear them right up to the edge of the tub. Take them off. Get in tub. And put them on the second I get out of the tub.

Best wishes,
Beverly

Re: shoe frugality-me too

rebecca h on 12/08/01 at 14:14 (066534)

I've done it too!!! Going as long as possible between shoe purchases. Buying cheap ones to save money. If I'd only known...

I've done alot of other things that in retrospect were only asking for PF!

I think I'll write them all down sometime...
rebecca

Carole C on 12/09/01 at 19:44 (066599)

Thanks, Beverly! These sound like they are worth looking into.

Carole C

Carole C on 12/09/01 at 19:50 (066600)

I don't think my first half century of frugality caused my present PF, but maybe I just cannot continue to do the things I could do in my 'youth'. LOL You have a point there, Julie.

Rebecca, at the party last night I was talking with a very nice and very understanding woman, who suggested that (while not a cause) age may be making me more vulnerable to the effects of bad shoes or repetitive motions. I thought that made sense. I don't have the muscle tone that I had in my youth, to protect things. I told her that I plan to NEVER buy another pair of cheap or poorly fitting shoes again in my life!!!!! LOL

Carole C

Julie on 12/10/01 at 02:14 (066614)

Carole, Rebecca, PF is a repetitive motion injury, exacerbated by biomechanical issues such as over-pronation. Wearing shoes for too long, which wears them down unevenly as well as diminishing their cushioning and support (which applies to the best of shoes as well as to cheap ones) contributes to PF.

It's amazing how quickly this happens, even to good shoes. I remember Richard, our resident pedorthist, saying that you have to keep an eye on your shoes and change them when they begin to show signs of wear, not wait till they're clapped-out. How long they'll last depends on their quality and how much they're used, obviously, but for most shoes it's not as long as we'd like to think.

Carole, you're off to the pedorthist today, aren't you? I hope it's a useful visit. Do ask her about shoes.

Carole C on 12/10/01 at 16:41 (066641)

Julie, the shoes that I had originally are the same brand as the shoes the pedorthist decided I would wear now (SAS), but as you point out what a difference between the old ones and the new ones!

She made orthotics that she put in the new SAS shoes, and they feel WONDERFUL so far. Finally, I have enough arch support. She said I have a very high arch (amazing, because I thought my feet were flat). She said that the arches flatten out when I stand on them but are very high when not bearing weight.

She wants me to wear the SAS shoes & orthotics during the day at work, and wants me to wear the Birkenstocks after work when I'm lounging around the house.

However she says she would rather see me get a shower stool than to try the plastic Birkenstocks (when I asked). I didn't ask why, since she's the expert.

She told me a lot more! There's a lot that I will be bouncing off people here, in various posts for a while.

Carole

john h on 12/07/01 at 09:51 (066413)

Carol you devil! a date in the morning and then drive 100 miles to your other date. Who said men were scoundrals?

D.Thomas on 12/07/01 at 10:10 (066422)

Carole C,

If it wasn't for this nice taping I get from my Pod (low dye technique with a cambell strap) there is no way I could have done what I have done the past three months. I have had PF going on 8 years, but have never had pain like I have had this year. Long story, but suffice to say that for about three months I could not stand up and walk without major pain. The inflammation I was getting all day long was unbelieveable. I had to keep my feet elevated about 90% of the day, or the pain was to much. I don't want to talk about the long nights I never slept. I learned to sleep with my feet rested on pillows so they are above my body all night. I have not taken a shower (I take only baths) for the past 5 months, and I hate taken baths.

I got married in April and bought a house in May. The house needed some major work. I statred working on it September 15th and it has been my second job. My Dad has been here twice with my Brother and Uncle to help me finish becuase there is alot I cannot do. I have lived on my knees getting stuff done.

With all the shit I have been through this year, it is amazing I have been able to accomplish what I have done with all this pain. I won't even get into how tough the PF is to deal with in a new marriage.

However, I do consider myself lucky, I really don't know how the mom's out there deal with PF. I think they are the real PF heroes for me. I can't imagine having to deal with kids and PF at the same time. Talk about stress.

Anyway, sorry about the length and I truly hope you get better soon. As I have said before, nobody deserves dealing with this pain and how it can rob your life. Nobody.

Carole C on 12/07/01 at 10:12 (066423)

(giggle) Well, I'm pretty happy to be able to have some fun for a change rather than just sitting around hurting! LOL I need some ESCAPE!!!!! :)

My usually steady date for the past year and a half, who lives 100 miles away (Bobbie), knows. He is wonderful, and divorced just like me. We see each other a lot, but I wish he lived closer to me.

I met both of these men online (but I am careful about meeting men this way, especially at first). The new date doesn't know about Bobbie yet. I'm not sure the new guy has any potential; he doesn't really seem like my type of guy, but he kept pushing to have lunch, and I thought, 'why not, it's not like my calendar is full!' If it looks like we might have a second date, then maybe I will tell him about Bobbie! (grin)

The lunch date will be at Bennigans, and I have a handicapped plate so that will probably not involve much walking. He has already promised it will be just lunch and nothing more.

The dinner date also will not involve much walking. :)

Carole

Carole C on 12/07/01 at 10:21 (066425)

D. Thomas, I guess I am experiencing some pain similar to what you have experienced for the past 3 months. I cannot walk without a lot of pain most of the time (although some days are better) and I have been taking sponge baths (and really hurt my feet with a 2 minute shower last weekend, which was stupid of me).

I hope that you get better quickly! Maybe it would help to encourage your wife to read the message board. It might help her to understand that you just can't do certain things right now. I suspect that she probably would rather have a husband who is free of severe pain, than to have a ceiling fan that works.

Good luck with your feet, and watch out for those stairs and ladders! (smile)

Carole

Carole C on 12/07/01 at 10:31 (066427)

Oops, I meant I've been feeling similar to the three months before you were taped. Maybe taping will help me.

rebecca h on 12/07/01 at 12:46 (066448)

Try this: Put a thick towel down folded in half or thirds. Then put another one on top rolled to fit under your arches. start the shower. Then step on the towels. Worked well for me. The only drawback is the sopping wet towels. but they can be taken care of later.

Happy Feet to YOU!
rebecca

Carole C on 12/07/01 at 12:49 (066449)

I am going to HAVE to try this before my two dates tomorrow. I just don't feel clean when I can't take a shower. Last weekend, I thought of doing that and then I thought 'oh well, if I just shower for a few seconds it won't make any difference.

Surprise! It did. Guess I had to learn the hard way. Thanks for the help and encouragement in this thread.

Carole

Carole C on 12/08/01 at 09:16 (066507)

OUCH!!!! I just took my shower. I have zero talent for this!!! I tried folding towels and stepping on them, but I am not very good at it yet. I couldn't figure out how to get my foot positioned right, even though I thought that would be easy; but no matter how I stepped on the rolled up towel, it felt startlingly painful, for some reason. And as it got wet, it kept sinking.

And then if I got it sort of right, I would eventually turn to wash the other side for a while, and that would mess me up. I do have a shower massager on a long cord, so if I had been smart I would have just stood there and moved the shower, rather than moving myself. Another problem was getting out. My Birkenstocks were right there, but I didn't want to put them on until my feet were dry, so I found myself standing on the floor (well on the shower mat on the floor) drying my feet..... probably not the best way to get out of my shower/tub combination. My feet hurt enough that I put my Birkenstocks back on when they were only mostly dry, still a little damp, and I hope this doesn't harm the shoes. In hindsight, I should have sat on the toilet to dry my feet but it didn't occur to me at the time.

At least I got my hair washed and squeaky clean. That's pretty critical when you've been doing sponge baths for a while. I think I still want to get the shower Birkenstocks so I can stand and move around in the shower, if possible. But, I will wait until after my pedorthis appointment on Monday and see what she has to say (only 49.5 hours left to wait!)

I also want to try taking a bath instead. I stopped taking baths a few years ago before PF, when my osteoarthritis got so bad in my knees. But, with celebrex, and having lost weight, maybe I should try again now.

If my feet EVER feel good enough to do stop resting and go do this, I want to buy a couple of stools. One for the kitchen, and one for brushing my teeth, doing my make-up, fixing my hair, and so on in front of the bathroom mirror. This sort of thing can make me feel so much better about myself, and it's hard to stand there long enough to do a good job of it even though it doesn't take that long. I guess the guys must have a similar problem, because PF would give them a pretty hard time shaving, too.

Right now, I'm just luxuriating in the feeling of being completely clean and sweet smelling. Maybe I will massage my feet with hand lotion now..... that makes me feel more pampered and feminine too.

Carole

Julie on 12/08/01 at 09:37 (066515)

Carole: go to any of the Birkenstock websites and order yourself a pair of Birkis. They're sandals made of a plasticky stuff called Birkoflor, and are for use in water. If you order from the German site you'll have to pay extra for airmail.

Carole C on 12/08/01 at 10:38 (066518)

Right! Two minds with a single thought. Since my first appointment with the pedorthist is Monday morning (exactly 48 hours from now! yippee), I thought I'd wait and ask what she thinks. She also sells Birkenstock, although I have no idea of her prices or what she has available immediately.

I want to order both the plasticky ones for the shower, and probably some Arizonas too, either the original Arizonas or else in the higher arch Tatami configuration.

The plasticky ones won't require break-in, but the Arizonas will. If she decides on custom orthotics, I will be sure to break those in first before breaking in the Arizonas (after reading the experiences of others who were breaking in both at once and had trouble).

You know what's amazing? I spent 53 years on this earth before getting PF or any type of foot problem at all (other than blisters or stepping on things that injured my foot), and during that time I have always been a person that owned one, or no more than two, pairs of shoes, and kept them for 5 years or so. I know that's not most peoples' choice, but I never had a problem with it for over half a century.

Now, I feel so FIXATED on shoes! I have bought 3 pairs since getting PF in late September, and if I get the plasticky ones, the Arizonas, and possibly another type of shoe with orthotics if my pedorthist recommends that, then that will make 6 pairs.

I've always gently teased my grown daughter about her love for shoes, calling her 'Imelda' and so on. Her love for shoes is driven by fashion. I was afraid that any future husband would be appalled at her collection of 5-10 pairs of shoes at any given time. Well, I guess that now I have become 'Imelda' too! Unlike my daughter's shoes, all my shoes are clunky and ugly but I don't care at all about that. LOL

Carole C

rebecca h on 12/08/01 at 10:45 (066520)

Carole

When I get out of the tub Or shower I also have a few towels folded to make a cushy arch support when I step out. It uses up alot of towels but its worth it. I use the biggest thickest ones I have. I'm taking the 'never walk or stand barefoot' thing pretty seriously.

Yesterday I went with my husband and 2yrold to Walmart to Christmas shop. The mechanized wheelchair was out of order but they did have a regular one.
I ended up rolling myself since he of course had to push little guy in the cart. My arms got very tired. After a while we figured out that he could push me while I held on to the front of the cart the baby was in. We made quite a spectacle but it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It helped that we got there at 8am so the store was pretty empty. Oh the things we do to deal with PR!!!! : )

Have fun today and stay safe on the road!
rebecca

Carole C on 12/08/01 at 11:15 (066523)

I think you are smart to take the 'never walk or stand barefoot' thing seriously. More than once I have found myself drifting off to sleep in bed, and then realized I still have my Birkenstocks on LOL

My arms get worn out with a wheelchair too, and Walmart in my area doesn't ever seem to have mechanized ones available. Your husband sounds like he's being pretty sweet about all this. I'll bet your two year old thought it was fun! :)

Carole C

Julie on 12/08/01 at 12:02 (066528)

Carole, my post made no sense, because it seems that whenever the first four letters of the word Birkenstock are typed, the blue link automatically appears - even if Birkenstock isn't the word that was typed.

The shoes I was trying to tell you about are called (I'll try to outwit the programme)

B.I.R.K.I.

and the material they're made of is

B.I.R.K.O.F.L.O.R.

I've had a pair for over a year and use them all the time at the pool. The footbed isn't identical to the Arizona, though they look the same, and they aren't as comfortable (for me) but they'll do for support in the shower.

I think you've been carrying shoe-frugality too far! If you've been wearing one or two pairs of shoes for five years the inevitable wear could have contributed to your present problems. That reminds me, regarding your forthcoming orthotics, that orthotics are only as good as the shoes they are worn in. You'll have to investigate shoes, too: the pedorthist should be able to recommend.

Re: Test

Julie on 12/08/01 at 12:03 (066529)

Birk

Beverly on 12/08/01 at 13:50 (066531)

I wear Chaco River shoes for my shower shoes. They adjust with a strap holding my foot snugly. I like them because they have more arch support than any other water shoe I've tried. I've found them in outdoorsmen sports stores... especially places geared towards hiking.
(Ha. Ha. My 'hike' is to wear them from the bedroom to the bath tub!)

I wear them right up to the edge of the tub. Take them off. Get in tub. And put them on the second I get out of the tub.

Best wishes,
Beverly

rebecca h on 12/08/01 at 14:14 (066534)

I've done it too!!! Going as long as possible between shoe purchases. Buying cheap ones to save money. If I'd only known...

I've done alot of other things that in retrospect were only asking for PF!

I think I'll write them all down sometime...
rebecca

Carole C on 12/09/01 at 19:44 (066599)

Thanks, Beverly! These sound like they are worth looking into.

Carole C

Carole C on 12/09/01 at 19:50 (066600)

I don't think my first half century of frugality caused my present PF, but maybe I just cannot continue to do the things I could do in my 'youth'. LOL You have a point there, Julie.

Rebecca, at the party last night I was talking with a very nice and very understanding woman, who suggested that (while not a cause) age may be making me more vulnerable to the effects of bad shoes or repetitive motions. I thought that made sense. I don't have the muscle tone that I had in my youth, to protect things. I told her that I plan to NEVER buy another pair of cheap or poorly fitting shoes again in my life!!!!! LOL

Carole C

Julie on 12/10/01 at 02:14 (066614)

Carole, Rebecca, PF is a repetitive motion injury, exacerbated by biomechanical issues such as over-pronation. Wearing shoes for too long, which wears them down unevenly as well as diminishing their cushioning and support (which applies to the best of shoes as well as to cheap ones) contributes to PF.

It's amazing how quickly this happens, even to good shoes. I remember Richard, our resident pedorthist, saying that you have to keep an eye on your shoes and change them when they begin to show signs of wear, not wait till they're clapped-out. How long they'll last depends on their quality and how much they're used, obviously, but for most shoes it's not as long as we'd like to think.

Carole, you're off to the pedorthist today, aren't you? I hope it's a useful visit. Do ask her about shoes.

Carole C on 12/10/01 at 16:41 (066641)

Julie, the shoes that I had originally are the same brand as the shoes the pedorthist decided I would wear now (SAS), but as you point out what a difference between the old ones and the new ones!

She made orthotics that she put in the new SAS shoes, and they feel WONDERFUL so far. Finally, I have enough arch support. She said I have a very high arch (amazing, because I thought my feet were flat). She said that the arches flatten out when I stand on them but are very high when not bearing weight.

She wants me to wear the SAS shoes & orthotics during the day at work, and wants me to wear the Birkenstocks after work when I'm lounging around the house.

However she says she would rather see me get a shower stool than to try the plastic Birkenstocks (when I asked). I didn't ask why, since she's the expert.

She told me a lot more! There's a lot that I will be bouncing off people here, in various posts for a while.

Carole

jonna p on 8/02/02 at 19:39 (091458)

Do you have flat feet or high arches? Is the heel higher than the sole? Can you wear the shoes for a while without pain?

Thanks

Jonna

jonna p on 8/02/02 at 19:39 (091458)

Do you have flat feet or high arches? Is the heel higher than the sole? Can you wear the shoes for a while without pain?

Thanks

Jonna