Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Active Release Technique, anyone tried it?

Posted by Sherrie M. on 12/07/01 at 18:21 (066477)

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has tried this A.R.T. for pf?Can anyone tell me about it. Thanks, Sherrie

Re: Active Release Technique, anyone tried it?

Carmen on 12/08/01 at 08:22 (066502)

Do a search on the message boards...it's been tried by some here.

JudyS on 12/08/01 at 11:23 (066525)

Hi Sherri, I did the ART last year and found it to be the first really productive step in my healing. Evidently, though, there are two descriptions of it. My first round with it was through a chiropractor recommended by the original ART Chiros (brothers). Later, I had the exact same therapy by a physical therapist but it wasn't called ART! At any rate, my understanding was that it was designed to release, or, as some say, break up, scar tissue that has formed and disallowed good movement or blood flow. Some say it's not supposed to be painful, but some say it can be. For me, it was but frankly, it was welcome pain because I could really feel the therapist working at the scarring. I was going three times a week but, in retrospect, would recommend no more than two times a week. The tissue needs time to recover between sessions.

Sherrie M. on 12/09/01 at 08:33 (066561)

Thanks Judy, I am really considering it and I appreciate your input. By the way, did you also have eswt? I had that in the spring and it was successful, but now I am extremely tight across the bottom of both feet and I have no insertional pain. I am also dealing with tendonitis in a couple places that in awful and that's why I looked up art because I've heard it is really good for that also. Thanks, I'll keep you posted! Sherrie

Carmen on 12/08/01 at 08:22 (066502)

Do a search on the message boards...it's been tried by some here.

JudyS on 12/08/01 at 11:23 (066525)

Hi Sherri, I did the ART last year and found it to be the first really productive step in my healing. Evidently, though, there are two descriptions of it. My first round with it was through a chiropractor recommended by the original ART Chiros (brothers). Later, I had the exact same therapy by a physical therapist but it wasn't called ART! At any rate, my understanding was that it was designed to release, or, as some say, break up, scar tissue that has formed and disallowed good movement or blood flow. Some say it's not supposed to be painful, but some say it can be. For me, it was but frankly, it was welcome pain because I could really feel the therapist working at the scarring. I was going three times a week but, in retrospect, would recommend no more than two times a week. The tissue needs time to recover between sessions.

Sherrie M. on 12/09/01 at 08:33 (066561)

Thanks Judy, I am really considering it and I appreciate your input. By the way, did you also have eswt? I had that in the spring and it was successful, but now I am extremely tight across the bottom of both feet and I have no insertional pain. I am also dealing with tendonitis in a couple places that in awful and that's why I looked up art because I've heard it is really good for that also. Thanks, I'll keep you posted! Sherrie