Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

elavation-maybe if I understood Why.....

Posted by rebecca h on 12/07/01 at 19:10 (066482)

Dear Wonderful (and I do mean Wonderful) PF support group,

I have yet another question for you: Why is elevation important? I know I'm supposed to do it but find it hard to be consistent. Thought maybe if I understood why it is so important I would be more motivated to Make it Happen. Thanks in advance.

rebecca p.s. does anyone have an extra recliner? :)

Re: elavation-maybe if I understood Why.....

Carole C on 12/07/01 at 19:54 (066484)

Well, I don't know but I think it's to keep you from retaining fluids in the feet and let gravity drain some of them out into the rest of your body. Maybe that's a narrow point of view, since I personally do retain quite a lot of fluids in my feet because they are a bit swelled up and inflamed. Of course the more they are swelled, the more they hurt.

It does feel good to put your feet up, though, doesn't it? It does for me. The only thing is that it's so aggravating to stay off my feet at all, up or not.

I don't have any recliner, extra or not, but I have an ottoman that is great for this purpose. Maybe you could find something like that in a garage sale? If not, maybe a chair with a pillow on it would work. I didn't get any furniture when we divorced, and did not even have a bed until two years ago (slept on the floor the first two years of my divorce). So I don't have any extra furniture of any kind, actually, sorry!

Carole C

_______

John h on 12/08/01 at 09:23 (066510)

I would think nearly all doctors recommend elevation for swollen feet. It helps prevent blood and other fluids from collecing in the feet causing swelling and subsequent pain.

Carole C on 12/08/01 at 09:30 (066514)

Yes, John, and also I was thinking about this later, and I think that possibly reducing swelling may not only help with the pain, but may also speed up the healing process (though I don't know this to be a fact, but it makes sense for mechanical reasons).

Carole C

Carole C on 12/07/01 at 19:54 (066484)

Well, I don't know but I think it's to keep you from retaining fluids in the feet and let gravity drain some of them out into the rest of your body. Maybe that's a narrow point of view, since I personally do retain quite a lot of fluids in my feet because they are a bit swelled up and inflamed. Of course the more they are swelled, the more they hurt.

It does feel good to put your feet up, though, doesn't it? It does for me. The only thing is that it's so aggravating to stay off my feet at all, up or not.

I don't have any recliner, extra or not, but I have an ottoman that is great for this purpose. Maybe you could find something like that in a garage sale? If not, maybe a chair with a pillow on it would work. I didn't get any furniture when we divorced, and did not even have a bed until two years ago (slept on the floor the first two years of my divorce). So I don't have any extra furniture of any kind, actually, sorry!

Carole C

_______

John h on 12/08/01 at 09:23 (066510)

I would think nearly all doctors recommend elevation for swollen feet. It helps prevent blood and other fluids from collecing in the feet causing swelling and subsequent pain.

Carole C on 12/08/01 at 09:30 (066514)

Yes, John, and also I was thinking about this later, and I think that possibly reducing swelling may not only help with the pain, but may also speed up the healing process (though I don't know this to be a fact, but it makes sense for mechanical reasons).

Carole C