Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TREATED 16 DAYS AGO...

Posted by RACHAEL T. on 12/07/01 at 23:14 (066496)

I was treated with a Dornier machine (ESWT) 16 days ago & am much improved. I was given 20 minutes of treatment on each foot. Pain level has dropped from 7,8,9, & 10 kind of days all the way to a 3,2,1, or 0 already; & I am doing things that I've not done in 9 months, such as a few shopping mall trips, & walking. I even wore 'a real dress' shoe tonight when attending a Christmas party. I am hopeful that these positive results will continue & even get better. If anyone else has had this procedure, please respond to this message & advise your outcome & results to date. Thank you!

Re: TREATED 16 DAYS AGO...

BrianG on 12/08/01 at 21:23 (066551)

Hi Rachael,

Congratulations on the successfull ESWT treatment. I think you were very lucky to be able to get it before your 1st year of pain. Oh, how I wish I had the same oppertunity! Last I read, you were talking about getting Ossatron treatment. Did you change your mind and get the Dornier? Did you have to go to Canada for it? I hear it's going to be approved soon in the US, but so far everyone is still waiting, in the US anyways. Do you expect to have a second treatment, or will one treatment do it? I'm happy for you, I hope it's not long before you can return to your horses. Good luck

BCG

RACHAEL T. on 12/08/01 at 22:15 (066553)

Thanks Brian! Yes, I am improving daily - I do think! In answer to your questions - I had the Dornier procedure done for 20 minutes on each foot in Columbus, Ohio. Yes, I was going to do ossatron w/ the same dr. - it was the doctor who decided on this procedure - stating that 1 was equal to the other.....I await, of course, to see if my insurance will cover it; but either way, I haven't taken any anti-inflam. or pain pills since -- so that in itself proves the improvement. How are you & .. of course, your feet??

Re: To Rachael TREATED 16 DAYS AGO...

Pauline on 12/09/01 at 10:20 (066567)

Rachael,
Did using Dornier require any anesthetic, foot block or anything for your treatment? Does the Doctor have it in his own personal office or out patient hospital set up?

BrianG on 12/09/01 at 12:31 (066572)

Hi Rachael,

Myself, I'm still going down hill. I had to leave work and apply for SSD. This is why you were so fortunate to get the the ESWT when you did. And no more pills, boy wouldn't that be nice! I'm still waiting for ESWT (of any kind) to come to Boston / New England. Can you believe with all the great hospitals we have, there is not one ESWT machine here in Ma.!! The big rumour is that Dornier is about to be approved. As of last week, it hadn't been officially approved, accordig to the FDA. Dr Z says it's close. I hope this isn't a problem when it comes to your insurance. Good luck

BCG

DR Zuckerman on 12/09/01 at 12:36 (066573)

IT may not be a problem . IT will depend on the insurance company. I have had a few paid for ESWT with the big O machine. So only time will tell. Very surprised that you will able to get ESWT with Dornier in the USA but I say when in pain that is the right time. Good luck and get better and better . Sure sounds like you feet responsed very well. Take each and every day very slow

RACHAEL T. on 12/09/01 at 12:57 (066577)

Hi Pauline! My Dornier ESWT procedure was completed at Riverside Hospital in Columbus, Ohio - in their lithotripsy dpt. Yes, I had both feet done & they were both 'zydacained' (I think this was the med.) for numbing. I continue to improve I do believe....but I am also not overdoing it - but compared to what I was like before - I am much improved! Wishing you happy, healthy feet this holiday - & always!

Pauline on 12/09/01 at 14:46 (066588)

Racheal,
This sounds like it was a God send for you and I'm happy that you are having such good results. I was waiting for Dornier to be approved because it has been sitting in the sports medicine center where my doctor practices. He ran some of Dorniers tests just about 2 years ago. It sure takes time to get things through the FDA, but it looks like this one might have been worth the wait. Now we have to hope these hospitals have some pull to get insurance coverage. That would be the greatest news for everyone needing ESWT.

In the mean time, my PF has gone away again on it's own , but I know the machine is still at the Sports Center. It is actually part of the
Major medical center where his office is located. I used to pet it on my visits to his office, thinking some day he will actually get to use it.

If your's was in a hospital setting too, it appears at least for now that Dornier may be plannning of keeping their machines in medical centers.

My Doc treats 3 major sports teams and you can bet he was just waiting for approval to use this thing on them. It's kind of neat to visit his one office because it's in this sports center complete with a workout center. There are people using it all the time. It has an elevated track and great pool so when your waiting for your appointment the time goes by pretty fast, because you have so many people to watch. Before you know it your name is being called.

You don't feel like you went to a doctors office at all and the setting is really comfortable. I would like to see more of this set up.

My doc practices out of two major medical centers with offices located on their campus. Only one had the machine, but he said he would be ordering another for the other site.

These hospitals have a major orthopedic dept. with sites in many different locations. I imagine all ESWt patients will be sent to the sports center to receive treatment unless they can afford to purchase several more for the other centers. I wonder what they cost.

In any case you are getting better and that is wonderful news. Now you just have to see what the insurance company does. Good luck I hope they pick up the entire tab.

RACHAEL T. on 12/09/01 at 17:22 (066594)

Thank you Pauline for your kind words! WOW! Your doctor sounds like he is one great center. And, I can understand why it is so entertaining to even 'wait' at the doctor's office for your appointment with all of the action going on around you. What city is he in & what BIG teams does he treat? I am glad that your pf went away on its own! You must have played an important role in healing yourself! I continue now to stretch, ice, & epsom warm foot baths; I am also careful not to overdo anything at this point. From all that I read - it seems like ESWT takes up to 3 months for complete healing; so I don't want to wreck havoc with things at this point! As for my horsetraining, my assistant continues to 'carry on' for me in this 'downtime' season - as we only compete April thru October. I am hoping if I care for myself & take things easily between now & April, just maybe I will be ready to go once again! Thanks to you for your supportive thoughts!

RACHAEL T. on 12/09/01 at 17:28 (066595)

Dr. Z - I thank you for your kind & supportive words of advisement regarding my ESWT & my feet. I have decided to 'take things easily' as you have suggested & as my feet seem to be telling me. My mile long walks that I attempted last week appeared to be a strain for them - thus, I have deleted them from my life at this point. I am going to try to wait till my 3 months have expired after the initial ESWT - & see where I stand then in the way of more physical activity. I haven't even been on a horse yet & I AM WAITING, as you can guess!! Our competitive show season doesn't begin till April; thus, I am hopeful if I take it easy till then, maybe - just maybe I will be ready to ride hard & compete once again! Any thoughts, or suggestions regarding such, from you, I'd certainly appreciate! Thank you!

Re: Oh, Dr. Z

Barbara TX on 12/11/01 at 21:57 (066785)

That is too funny. I have had the 'Big O' four times. I think that makes me some kind of pervert. B.

Dr. Zuckeman on 12/11/01 at 22:43 (066791)

Please tell me more about this repetitive symptoms. I hope it hasn't add undo
movement to your feet. So I guest you like my new nickname for the thing.
IT is how the big O cures pain !!!

Judy S on 1/02/02 at 18:55 (068471)

I am very happy that your treatment was a success. I have had 3 treatments on my R foot for planta fasitis over the past 3 weeks and unfortunately hasnt made any change at this stage. I am having a 4th treatment later this afternoon which they dont usually do. Am I expecting too much too quick. Can anyone give me some reasurance .I live in Adelaide Australia and it is a very new treatment over here. They give us 10 minute treatments once a week. Most of the time my pain level is a 10,with not much relief and they tell me my PF is the worst they have seen.Thats promising HA HA. Anyway hope you continue to improve . Hope someone can give me some reasurring news. Thanks Judy

BrianG on 12/08/01 at 21:23 (066551)

Hi Rachael,

Congratulations on the successfull ESWT treatment. I think you were very lucky to be able to get it before your 1st year of pain. Oh, how I wish I had the same oppertunity! Last I read, you were talking about getting Ossatron treatment. Did you change your mind and get the Dornier? Did you have to go to Canada for it? I hear it's going to be approved soon in the US, but so far everyone is still waiting, in the US anyways. Do you expect to have a second treatment, or will one treatment do it? I'm happy for you, I hope it's not long before you can return to your horses. Good luck

BCG

RACHAEL T. on 12/08/01 at 22:15 (066553)

Thanks Brian! Yes, I am improving daily - I do think! In answer to your questions - I had the Dornier procedure done for 20 minutes on each foot in Columbus, Ohio. Yes, I was going to do ossatron w/ the same dr. - it was the doctor who decided on this procedure - stating that 1 was equal to the other.....I await, of course, to see if my insurance will cover it; but either way, I haven't taken any anti-inflam. or pain pills since -- so that in itself proves the improvement. How are you & .. of course, your feet??

Pauline on 12/09/01 at 10:20 (066567)

Rachael,
Did using Dornier require any anesthetic, foot block or anything for your treatment? Does the Doctor have it in his own personal office or out patient hospital set up?

BrianG on 12/09/01 at 12:31 (066572)

Hi Rachael,

Myself, I'm still going down hill. I had to leave work and apply for SSD. This is why you were so fortunate to get the the ESWT when you did. And no more pills, boy wouldn't that be nice! I'm still waiting for ESWT (of any kind) to come to Boston / New England. Can you believe with all the great hospitals we have, there is not one ESWT machine here in Ma.!! The big rumour is that Dornier is about to be approved. As of last week, it hadn't been officially approved, accordig to the FDA. Dr Z says it's close. I hope this isn't a problem when it comes to your insurance. Good luck

BCG

DR Zuckerman on 12/09/01 at 12:36 (066573)

IT may not be a problem . IT will depend on the insurance company. I have had a few paid for ESWT with the big O machine. So only time will tell. Very surprised that you will able to get ESWT with Dornier in the USA but I say when in pain that is the right time. Good luck and get better and better . Sure sounds like you feet responsed very well. Take each and every day very slow

RACHAEL T. on 12/09/01 at 12:57 (066577)

Hi Pauline! My Dornier ESWT procedure was completed at Riverside Hospital in Columbus, Ohio - in their lithotripsy dpt. Yes, I had both feet done & they were both 'zydacained' (I think this was the med.) for numbing. I continue to improve I do believe....but I am also not overdoing it - but compared to what I was like before - I am much improved! Wishing you happy, healthy feet this holiday - & always!

Pauline on 12/09/01 at 14:46 (066588)

Racheal,
This sounds like it was a God send for you and I'm happy that you are having such good results. I was waiting for Dornier to be approved because it has been sitting in the sports medicine center where my doctor practices. He ran some of Dorniers tests just about 2 years ago. It sure takes time to get things through the FDA, but it looks like this one might have been worth the wait. Now we have to hope these hospitals have some pull to get insurance coverage. That would be the greatest news for everyone needing ESWT.

In the mean time, my PF has gone away again on it's own , but I know the machine is still at the Sports Center. It is actually part of the
Major medical center where his office is located. I used to pet it on my visits to his office, thinking some day he will actually get to use it.

If your's was in a hospital setting too, it appears at least for now that Dornier may be plannning of keeping their machines in medical centers.

My Doc treats 3 major sports teams and you can bet he was just waiting for approval to use this thing on them. It's kind of neat to visit his one office because it's in this sports center complete with a workout center. There are people using it all the time. It has an elevated track and great pool so when your waiting for your appointment the time goes by pretty fast, because you have so many people to watch. Before you know it your name is being called.

You don't feel like you went to a doctors office at all and the setting is really comfortable. I would like to see more of this set up.

My doc practices out of two major medical centers with offices located on their campus. Only one had the machine, but he said he would be ordering another for the other site.

These hospitals have a major orthopedic dept. with sites in many different locations. I imagine all ESWt patients will be sent to the sports center to receive treatment unless they can afford to purchase several more for the other centers. I wonder what they cost.

In any case you are getting better and that is wonderful news. Now you just have to see what the insurance company does. Good luck I hope they pick up the entire tab.

RACHAEL T. on 12/09/01 at 17:22 (066594)

Thank you Pauline for your kind words! WOW! Your doctor sounds like he is one great center. And, I can understand why it is so entertaining to even 'wait' at the doctor's office for your appointment with all of the action going on around you. What city is he in & what BIG teams does he treat? I am glad that your pf went away on its own! You must have played an important role in healing yourself! I continue now to stretch, ice, & epsom warm foot baths; I am also careful not to overdo anything at this point. From all that I read - it seems like ESWT takes up to 3 months for complete healing; so I don't want to wreck havoc with things at this point! As for my horsetraining, my assistant continues to 'carry on' for me in this 'downtime' season - as we only compete April thru October. I am hoping if I care for myself & take things easily between now & April, just maybe I will be ready to go once again! Thanks to you for your supportive thoughts!

RACHAEL T. on 12/09/01 at 17:28 (066595)

Dr. Z - I thank you for your kind & supportive words of advisement regarding my ESWT & my feet. I have decided to 'take things easily' as you have suggested & as my feet seem to be telling me. My mile long walks that I attempted last week appeared to be a strain for them - thus, I have deleted them from my life at this point. I am going to try to wait till my 3 months have expired after the initial ESWT - & see where I stand then in the way of more physical activity. I haven't even been on a horse yet & I AM WAITING, as you can guess!! Our competitive show season doesn't begin till April; thus, I am hopeful if I take it easy till then, maybe - just maybe I will be ready to ride hard & compete once again! Any thoughts, or suggestions regarding such, from you, I'd certainly appreciate! Thank you!

Barbara TX on 12/11/01 at 21:57 (066785)

That is too funny. I have had the 'Big O' four times. I think that makes me some kind of pervert. B.

Dr. Zuckeman on 12/11/01 at 22:43 (066791)

Please tell me more about this repetitive symptoms. I hope it hasn't add undo
movement to your feet. So I guest you like my new nickname for the thing.
IT is how the big O cures pain !!!

Judy S on 1/02/02 at 18:55 (068471)

I am very happy that your treatment was a success. I have had 3 treatments on my R foot for planta fasitis over the past 3 weeks and unfortunately hasnt made any change at this stage. I am having a 4th treatment later this afternoon which they dont usually do. Am I expecting too much too quick. Can anyone give me some reasurance .I live in Adelaide Australia and it is a very new treatment over here. They give us 10 minute treatments once a week. Most of the time my pain level is a 10,with not much relief and they tell me my PF is the worst they have seen.Thats promising HA HA. Anyway hope you continue to improve . Hope someone can give me some reasurring news. Thanks Judy