Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

NEW BIRKS

Posted by John h on 12/09/01 at 13:57 (066585)

If you have not visited the Birk site lately they have some new items. Custom made footbeds (soft,cork,full length, 3/4 length,etc) which are transferable from shoe to shoe. The also have Airizona's with a deeper footbed which provides more longitudal and laterial support. Some other new items worth looking at.

Re: New Arizonas with deeper footbed!!!!

Carole C on 12/10/01 at 17:53 (066644)

Those Arizonas sound really NICE..... yummmmmmm! :)

If anyone here has tried these new Arizonas with the deeper footbed, tell us EVERYTHING. How do you like them?

Did you find them on the site that comes up when we click on the word Birkenstock? Or is it at the site called B-i-r-k-e-n-s-t-o-c-k-.-c-o-m without the dashes, or some other site? Once you get to the site, how do you find the information on these? It seems to me that I read about a line of Birkenstocks with deeper footbeds on Friday when I had no time to linger, but now I can't remember.

My pedorthist says I have high arches, and I feel like I need a little more arch support than I'm getting with standard Birkenstocks, if that is possible. Maybe I should try them. Or maybe I should try the standard Arizonas first (I only have the Floridas).

Right now I am enjoying my brand new orthotics, which are in brand new SAS shoes and are helping me a lot by giving me lots of arch support. Even so, it's nice to have this tidbit of information in the back of my mind just in case I need to get the deeper footbed Arizonas later on.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 12/10/01 at 20:08 (066666)

Carole, I am glad that you have the orthotics and the new shoes and hope that they help you improve day by day! I also have high arches and wanted to tell you that I have read that the Tatami line of Birkenstock shoes have a higher arch support. I did try on a pair of Tatami dressy black sandals in August, but the store only carried them through a size 42, and I need a 43. The arch part felt really good, though and I could feel the extra support in that area. I felt it was too late in the year to order the sandals from the German site and wait for them to come, but I may try to do that this spring. I wore SAS shoes (slip-on mocassin style) for years and always found them to be so comfortable for teaching school. Then the PF struck. Looking back, I realize that since the shoes still looked good, I didn't think about replacing them often enough. I threw away 5 pairs - different colors - all with the heels run down on the outsides and the arch support practically gone inside. That was a dumb mistake to make; I always thought about my daughters and the shoes they needed, and I just neglected keeping good shoes on my feet.

Best of luck to you, Carole!

Carole C on 12/10/01 at 21:29 (066674)

Thanks, Suzanne!

Those Tatami sandals sound sooooooo comfortable! Maybe i'll get some next spring, also. The timing might be exactly right, since for right now, I'm feeling pretty good with the orthotic that was made for me today. So far, i really love the relatively high arches that it has.

My old SAS shoes were pretty worn out when i got PF. I need to throw them out, I suppose. I get attached to my shoes, but eventually the time comes when they have to go.

My new SAS shoes that I got today feel very nice too. It's amazing to me that SAS shoes are not more widely distributed than they are at present.

nancy s. on 12/10/01 at 22:22 (066677)

just another vote for tatamis here. i have the nebraska tatami sandals, and they're terrific. the arch support is great; the footbed does sit lower and so you feel a bit more protection with the rim of the sandal around your foot.
the footbed is also removable -- it turned out to be the only shoe i could wear my orthotics in, replacing the tatami footbed with the orthotics, although usually i still prefer the tatami footbed.
the nebraskas have two wide adjustable straps over the top of the foot and an adjustable strap around the back. all very comfortable and don't bother my PF, AT, PTT, or peroneal tendonitis!
i sound like an advertisement.
nancy

Re: Nebraskas!!!

Carole C on 12/10/01 at 23:11 (066682)

I have been looking at the Tatami line at various websites ever since I wrote my last post, and I still haven't found the Arizona in the Tatami footbed. I hadn't yet noticed that Nebraskas could be found with a Tatami footbed, either.

Obviously I'll have to keep looking, Nancy! Those sound nice too. :)

Carole C

nancy s. on 12/10/01 at 23:29 (066683)

carole, i've never seen arizonas in the tatami line. i think the full tatami line is viewable at birkenstock central (the german site), and that's where i found my nebraskas.
of course, maybe they're getting whimsical over there in germany and changing state names on us. i bought my nebraskas almost a year ago.

Carole C on 12/10/01 at 17:53 (066644)

Those Arizonas sound really NICE..... yummmmmmm! :)

If anyone here has tried these new Arizonas with the deeper footbed, tell us EVERYTHING. How do you like them?

Did you find them on the site that comes up when we click on the word Birkenstock? Or is it at the site called B-i-r-k-e-n-s-t-o-c-k-.-c-o-m without the dashes, or some other site? Once you get to the site, how do you find the information on these? It seems to me that I read about a line of Birkenstocks with deeper footbeds on Friday when I had no time to linger, but now I can't remember.

My pedorthist says I have high arches, and I feel like I need a little more arch support than I'm getting with standard Birkenstocks, if that is possible. Maybe I should try them. Or maybe I should try the standard Arizonas first (I only have the Floridas).

Right now I am enjoying my brand new orthotics, which are in brand new SAS shoes and are helping me a lot by giving me lots of arch support. Even so, it's nice to have this tidbit of information in the back of my mind just in case I need to get the deeper footbed Arizonas later on.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 12/10/01 at 20:08 (066666)

Carole, I am glad that you have the orthotics and the new shoes and hope that they help you improve day by day! I also have high arches and wanted to tell you that I have read that the Tatami line of Birkenstock shoes have a higher arch support. I did try on a pair of Tatami dressy black sandals in August, but the store only carried them through a size 42, and I need a 43. The arch part felt really good, though and I could feel the extra support in that area. I felt it was too late in the year to order the sandals from the German site and wait for them to come, but I may try to do that this spring. I wore SAS shoes (slip-on mocassin style) for years and always found them to be so comfortable for teaching school. Then the PF struck. Looking back, I realize that since the shoes still looked good, I didn't think about replacing them often enough. I threw away 5 pairs - different colors - all with the heels run down on the outsides and the arch support practically gone inside. That was a dumb mistake to make; I always thought about my daughters and the shoes they needed, and I just neglected keeping good shoes on my feet.

Best of luck to you, Carole!

Carole C on 12/10/01 at 21:29 (066674)

Thanks, Suzanne!

Those Tatami sandals sound sooooooo comfortable! Maybe i'll get some next spring, also. The timing might be exactly right, since for right now, I'm feeling pretty good with the orthotic that was made for me today. So far, i really love the relatively high arches that it has.

My old SAS shoes were pretty worn out when i got PF. I need to throw them out, I suppose. I get attached to my shoes, but eventually the time comes when they have to go.

My new SAS shoes that I got today feel very nice too. It's amazing to me that SAS shoes are not more widely distributed than they are at present.

nancy s. on 12/10/01 at 22:22 (066677)

just another vote for tatamis here. i have the nebraska tatami sandals, and they're terrific. the arch support is great; the footbed does sit lower and so you feel a bit more protection with the rim of the sandal around your foot.
the footbed is also removable -- it turned out to be the only shoe i could wear my orthotics in, replacing the tatami footbed with the orthotics, although usually i still prefer the tatami footbed.
the nebraskas have two wide adjustable straps over the top of the foot and an adjustable strap around the back. all very comfortable and don't bother my PF, AT, PTT, or peroneal tendonitis!
i sound like an advertisement.
nancy

Carole C on 12/10/01 at 23:11 (066682)

I have been looking at the Tatami line at various websites ever since I wrote my last post, and I still haven't found the Arizona in the Tatami footbed. I hadn't yet noticed that Nebraskas could be found with a Tatami footbed, either.

Obviously I'll have to keep looking, Nancy! Those sound nice too. :)

Carole C

nancy s. on 12/10/01 at 23:29 (066683)

carole, i've never seen arizonas in the tatami line. i think the full tatami line is viewable at birkenstock central (the german site), and that's where i found my nebraskas.
of course, maybe they're getting whimsical over there in germany and changing state names on us. i bought my nebraskas almost a year ago.