Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Suffering from TTS

Posted by brittni on 12/09/01 at 18:40 (066597)

I discoverd about 5 months ago that I have TTS. The pain left after the doctor prescribed me anti-imflammatory pills. I was fine up until a month ago. I know have pain in my ankel at any given time. I am pregnant and I do not know what I can do besides take pain killers. Could someone please give me suggestions as to what to do. The pain is massive when it happens. It hurt so bad I want to cry.

Re: Suffering from TTS

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/10/01 at 09:55 (066619)

Hi,

Controlling the edema and abnormal motion is very important. Aircast, unna boot strapping. Elevation, ice are some of the first things to use to control edema which is pressing on your posterior tibial nerve

Jane on 12/10/01 at 19:47 (066664)

Hi, Brittni
I know how you feel. I have had TTS for over a year and when it first started I too wanted to cry. Did your Dr. suggest cortisone shots? They gave me some temporary relief. I also went to an acu-pressure (not puncture) and that also gave me some great relief. It still hurts and I'm scheduled for surgery in February, but the pain does not bring me to tears anymore. Good Luck.

wendyn on 12/11/01 at 23:06 (066794)

Are you icing and elevating? I would think that both would be very important especially while you're pregnant.

Are you an average weight normally?

Re: JANE--good luck

Carol C on 12/17/01 at 19:24 (067256)

Jane...Good Luck on your Surgery. I had a TTS release on November 19 ---
and could feel improvement when I woke in the recovery room! Don't be misled, I have had some problems and complications---as everyone can,
but I would do it again in a heartbeat! Has the cause of your TTS been
established? They were unable preoperatively to determine a cause for mine, however--in surgery, it was found that I had a large cyst (the size of the surgeon's thumb) entwined in the nerve in my foot causing my problems.
I am so glad that I proceeded with surgery. Give yourself time to
recover postoperatively and learn to listen to your pain. It is a great
guide to what you can and should be doing. Feel free to e-mail me anytime with any questions...if I can provide any answers or support, I'll be more than happy to do so. My e-mail address is (email removed).
PS---DON'T LET THEM DO CARPAL TUNNEL SURGERY ON YOUR HAND AT THE SAME TIME THAT THEY DO YOUR FOOT...I HAD BEEN NEEDING THE CARPAL TUNNEL SURGERY FOR YEARS AND AS A MATTER OF CONVENIENCE, HAD IT DONE AT THE SAME TIME AS THE FOOT....BIG MISTAKE. YOU NEED YOU HANDS FOR CRUTCHES!!!!!!!

Renee H on 12/28/01 at 08:53 (067959)

Have you tried custom made orthotics to support your arches? That has helped me considerably. That and the chiropractor are the only things that have helped me at all. I don't hurt all day every day anymore. I've had plantar facaiitis and tarsal tunnel for 11 months now. I'd love to hear about someone that has gotten over this. ((email removed))

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/10/01 at 09:55 (066619)

Hi,

Controlling the edema and abnormal motion is very important. Aircast, unna boot strapping. Elevation, ice are some of the first things to use to control edema which is pressing on your posterior tibial nerve

Jane on 12/10/01 at 19:47 (066664)

Hi, Brittni
I know how you feel. I have had TTS for over a year and when it first started I too wanted to cry. Did your Dr. suggest cortisone shots? They gave me some temporary relief. I also went to an acu-pressure (not puncture) and that also gave me some great relief. It still hurts and I'm scheduled for surgery in February, but the pain does not bring me to tears anymore. Good Luck.

wendyn on 12/11/01 at 23:06 (066794)

Are you icing and elevating? I would think that both would be very important especially while you're pregnant.

Are you an average weight normally?

Re: JANE--good luck

Carol C on 12/17/01 at 19:24 (067256)

Jane...Good Luck on your Surgery. I had a TTS release on November 19 ---
and could feel improvement when I woke in the recovery room! Don't be misled, I have had some problems and complications---as everyone can,
but I would do it again in a heartbeat! Has the cause of your TTS been
established? They were unable preoperatively to determine a cause for mine, however--in surgery, it was found that I had a large cyst (the size of the surgeon's thumb) entwined in the nerve in my foot causing my problems.
I am so glad that I proceeded with surgery. Give yourself time to
recover postoperatively and learn to listen to your pain. It is a great
guide to what you can and should be doing. Feel free to e-mail me anytime with any questions...if I can provide any answers or support, I'll be more than happy to do so. My e-mail address is (email removed).
PS---DON'T LET THEM DO CARPAL TUNNEL SURGERY ON YOUR HAND AT THE SAME TIME THAT THEY DO YOUR FOOT...I HAD BEEN NEEDING THE CARPAL TUNNEL SURGERY FOR YEARS AND AS A MATTER OF CONVENIENCE, HAD IT DONE AT THE SAME TIME AS THE FOOT....BIG MISTAKE. YOU NEED YOU HANDS FOR CRUTCHES!!!!!!!

Renee H on 12/28/01 at 08:53 (067959)

Have you tried custom made orthotics to support your arches? That has helped me considerably. That and the chiropractor are the only things that have helped me at all. I don't hurt all day every day anymore. I've had plantar facaiitis and tarsal tunnel for 11 months now. I'd love to hear about someone that has gotten over this. ((email removed))