Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Wendyn, Laurie R

Posted by Rick R on 12/10/01 at 13:23 (066629)

It's nice to hear from old friends err... freinds of long standing. I'm torn between being glad to find you out there and saddened to see that you are still suffering. I have not actually lurked enough to see how Wendy's doing but I presume your continued involvement to be a bad sign for you, but a good thing for others that can benefit from your insight.

Chicago is having the best weather that I can remember for this time of the year, then again the memory aint what it never used to be. I think you (Wendy) have been downtown more recently than I have! Oops, how quickly I forget, I was hanging out last February while my sister was having hip replacement surgery (and I'm the one whining). Try as she may, still not hip.

Laurie, thanks for the nice comments. It stinks that you are still suffering. It doesn't appear that you have even fould a path to a cure or containment that would give solace.

As for me, I still would use the alcoholic analogy, I'm doing well, but I know one false move and I'll be right back to a world of hurt. I have been focusing on getting my back straightened out, literally! Last spring I started seeing a chiro, and now I'm seeing his wife. Actually she's a personal trainer. It's sort of a graduation, once he felt I was in good enough condition he sent me to the Mrs to set up a training program. She was one of the American Gladiators of 1980's TV fame, who'd of thunk it. The chiro has treated many local athletes, Ryne Sandberg, Carlton Fisk and other old guys trying to do stupid things. I haven't had the PF discussion with him but I did mention that I thought I could be of some assistance.

Anybody heading this way? I was in California, Sacramento, last summer for the Junior Olympics national championship. My daughter made it in pole vaulting of all things. She crashed and burned at nationals but is still the 23rd ranked young woman pole vaulter in the USA.

My wife, being devoid of the navigation and geography gene, declared this weekend 'did you know we are only 5 hours away from Canada?' I either had to admit guilt for never dragging the kiddies into the frozen tundra or pretend to have been clueless regarding this little geography tidbit. I opted for the first and fessed up to all of the missed opportunities since we used to go to Detroit once a year, not for punishment, but to see family. No where near Calgary! How much snow do you have?

So how are you's (read with Chicago dialect) doing?

Rick

Re: Wendyn, Laurie R

michael b on 12/10/01 at 16:15 (066634)

don't know if this is appropriate but i'll try. last sept (2000) i went on a usual saturday morning jog, and the next morning when i put my foot down on the flor from the bed, i was greeted by a sharp pain in my heel.. . . after refusing to go away, in may of 01 i went to a podiatrist & was told i had plantar faciitis. . . . after orthotics, some stretching, not running, an ossatron treatment and now sleeping in a nightsplint, the foot is better, but i still can't run or do anything hi impact (tennis, basketball, etc). about the best i can manage is a round of golf and riding a bike. i'm getting very scared that i might not ever be able to run agian, and this is very distressing. i'm a former athlete, and still want to be very active, will this ever heal up??? any thoughts you have would be wonderful

Re: michael b

Rick R on 12/10/01 at 16:40 (066640)

Michael,

Believe it or not you are on a much better pace to recovery than I had. I am back to running the last 4 years or so but I still couldn't golf or ride a bike without taping. Actually on the best day of my life I couldn't golf! I run 5 miles between 3 to 7 times a week depending on the season. You are on the right track with the stretching and arch support. It took me over a decade and surgery on the worst heel but I made it back. At this stage any high impact stuff such as basketball is pretty much out of the question for a multitude of reasons. I have to get rough to shoot hoops with my son. I don't need to run as hard after smacking him into the garage a few times.

Good Luck,

Rick

Re: Rick!!!!!

wendyn on 12/10/01 at 19:43 (066662)

Rick!

I have missed you!

I have a new email....(email removed)

My feet are not so bad really - this is the only place I go on the net regularly, I stick around for mostly social reasons.

My feet still hurt some, and they'll never be perfect - but it's a far cry from where I was last year or two years, or three years ago.

I MAY be in Chicago again in the summer.

Don't want to talk (or think) about it too much because you know how much I LOVE TO FLY.

My cousin is getting married though - so it seems like a good reason to go, we'll see. Would also like to go back to Indianapolis to see other cousin, but I'm driving from Chicago. When we went last October we took a LITTLE plane to Indianapolis from O'Hare and I am absolutely NOT doing that again.

It's a very nice drive.

If I do make it back - we must get together at the Cheesecake factory, it's time you saw how nice downtown Chicago really is.

We have snow - but the worst is that is snows a whole bunch and then melts....what a mess.

Rick R on 12/11/01 at 07:23 (066690)

I'm so glad that you have improved, your feet that is. Are you doing any kind of exercise? I know it's tough enough just doing the Mom thing. I'm also darned impressed that you are still able to get on an airplane! If you drive to Indy from O'Hare you'll pass within a couple of miles of us. Frankly I hate that drive to Indy but I would drive it rather than fly. I went to Purdue University (West Lafayette Ind)and took most of that drive too darned many times. My 69 Buick knew the way. Lots of corn fields! It's great to get back in touch!

Rick

wendyn on 12/11/01 at 13:33 (066725)

Ah yes, the buick.

Isn't that the same car you used to drive around with airplane parts in the trunk?

I haven't actually got ON the plane again- so don't be too impressed.

I've done the whole hypnosis, psychotherapy thing to deal with my flying phobia...but quite often I resort to some hefty 'self medicating' as well.

Although I don't have to use meds in my every day life, I'm quite certain that will be pulling out the big guns to get me on the plane next time...I'm thinking valium will do fine.

One to get me there, one to get me back.

The plane ride was only 45 minutes (between Chicago and Indianapolis - but man that plane was SO small). I don't think I could get on the plane here knowing that that thing was waiting for me at O'hare.

I would consider driving - but I'm not sure how to convince hubby - I think it's about a 2 and half to 3 (long) day drive from here. We'd be driving with at least 1 teenager (maybe two) and a 9 year old.

But I honestly would rather drive.

I usually exercise - this last month has been a write off though.

I bike, weight train, and do yoga. That's about it for me.

Re: Driving Ms Wendy

Rick R on 12/11/01 at 16:26 (066741)

Same car. I probably mentioned the mushrooms growing on the floor in the back seat. Evidence of my youthful virtue.

I think the 9 year old would enjoy driving. Besides, 7,8,9 are great ages, between the terrible two's and the relapse of the terrible two's. The teenagers can't drive too well with their mouths duct taped shut and straight jackets fully secured. If you are willing to take the risk of driving with unrestrained teenagers then I doubt flying should cause any fear. That way the adults can have the benefit of the precautionary medications without the flying thing. Just remember 767 & 757 = Buick.

I actually asked my 18 yr old daughter and her boyfriend to pick me up on Friday from the company 'awards and nondescript festive event' least I feel any hesitation to partake of all avialible festivities. I haven't figured out if I'm setting a good example or a bad one. It's either come get me cause daddy's getting plowed or a responsible adult uses a designated driver. And to think we used to put this little bundle of joy on a leash.

I'm glad you can exercise. Biking was not an option during the bad old days so I take that as a good sign.

john h on 12/12/01 at 09:52 (066818)

Wendy: I will renind you as I do my wife that there are approximately 50,000 persons who lose their lives in auto accidents in the USA each year and many more than that injured. Flying a commercial air liner remains one of the safest ways to travel.

Re: JohnH

wendyn on 12/12/01 at 19:26 (066856)

And I remind you that a phobia is an irrational fear.

Doesn't matter that flying is safer - scares the %&#! out of me.

You can't rationalize it because it's irrational.

So am I sometimes.

john h on 12/13/01 at 10:05 (066874)

Wendy: There is not a pilot out there with a significant amount of flying time that has not had the % scared out of him. I have never been very uneasy as long as I am at the controls even in combat but I must admit sitting in the back with the passengers is very different. I had a number of fellow officers who washed out of pilot training because they could never shake the fear factor. When piloting an aircraft I think pilots are able to push any fears they have out of their thought process. They are also usually very busy in a modern aircraft. Pilots are more and more becoming 'System's Managers' in aircraft as computer and electronics have taken over much of what used to be called Pilot Skills. Though rarely done modern aircraft can land themselves while the pilot just watches. Navigation used to be an art but with GPS you always know where you are within a few feet. I suspect we all have our fears about something or other. I was reading recently that they have discovered a particular gene in so called 'risk takers' such as pilots, daredevils, etc. There may be one for phobias also. Maybe a loud jet flew over your hospital at the moment of your birth

Re: Wendyn, Laurie R

michael b on 12/10/01 at 16:15 (066634)

don't know if this is appropriate but i'll try. last sept (2000) i went on a usual saturday morning jog, and the next morning when i put my foot down on the flor from the bed, i was greeted by a sharp pain in my heel.. . . after refusing to go away, in may of 01 i went to a podiatrist & was told i had plantar faciitis. . . . after orthotics, some stretching, not running, an ossatron treatment and now sleeping in a nightsplint, the foot is better, but i still can't run or do anything hi impact (tennis, basketball, etc). about the best i can manage is a round of golf and riding a bike. i'm getting very scared that i might not ever be able to run agian, and this is very distressing. i'm a former athlete, and still want to be very active, will this ever heal up??? any thoughts you have would be wonderful

Re: michael b

Rick R on 12/10/01 at 16:40 (066640)

Michael,

Believe it or not you are on a much better pace to recovery than I had. I am back to running the last 4 years or so but I still couldn't golf or ride a bike without taping. Actually on the best day of my life I couldn't golf! I run 5 miles between 3 to 7 times a week depending on the season. You are on the right track with the stretching and arch support. It took me over a decade and surgery on the worst heel but I made it back. At this stage any high impact stuff such as basketball is pretty much out of the question for a multitude of reasons. I have to get rough to shoot hoops with my son. I don't need to run as hard after smacking him into the garage a few times.

Good Luck,

Rick

wendyn on 12/10/01 at 19:43 (066662)

Rick!

I have missed you!

I have a new email....(email removed)

My feet are not so bad really - this is the only place I go on the net regularly, I stick around for mostly social reasons.

My feet still hurt some, and they'll never be perfect - but it's a far cry from where I was last year or two years, or three years ago.

I MAY be in Chicago again in the summer.

Don't want to talk (or think) about it too much because you know how much I LOVE TO FLY.

My cousin is getting married though - so it seems like a good reason to go, we'll see. Would also like to go back to Indianapolis to see other cousin, but I'm driving from Chicago. When we went last October we took a LITTLE plane to Indianapolis from O'Hare and I am absolutely NOT doing that again.

It's a very nice drive.

If I do make it back - we must get together at the Cheesecake factory, it's time you saw how nice downtown Chicago really is.

We have snow - but the worst is that is snows a whole bunch and then melts....what a mess.

Rick R on 12/11/01 at 07:23 (066690)

I'm so glad that you have improved, your feet that is. Are you doing any kind of exercise? I know it's tough enough just doing the Mom thing. I'm also darned impressed that you are still able to get on an airplane! If you drive to Indy from O'Hare you'll pass within a couple of miles of us. Frankly I hate that drive to Indy but I would drive it rather than fly. I went to Purdue University (West Lafayette Ind)and took most of that drive too darned many times. My 69 Buick knew the way. Lots of corn fields! It's great to get back in touch!

Rick

wendyn on 12/11/01 at 13:33 (066725)

Ah yes, the buick.

Isn't that the same car you used to drive around with airplane parts in the trunk?

I haven't actually got ON the plane again- so don't be too impressed.

I've done the whole hypnosis, psychotherapy thing to deal with my flying phobia...but quite often I resort to some hefty 'self medicating' as well.

Although I don't have to use meds in my every day life, I'm quite certain that will be pulling out the big guns to get me on the plane next time...I'm thinking valium will do fine.

One to get me there, one to get me back.

The plane ride was only 45 minutes (between Chicago and Indianapolis - but man that plane was SO small). I don't think I could get on the plane here knowing that that thing was waiting for me at O'hare.

I would consider driving - but I'm not sure how to convince hubby - I think it's about a 2 and half to 3 (long) day drive from here. We'd be driving with at least 1 teenager (maybe two) and a 9 year old.

But I honestly would rather drive.

I usually exercise - this last month has been a write off though.

I bike, weight train, and do yoga. That's about it for me.

Re: Driving Ms Wendy

Rick R on 12/11/01 at 16:26 (066741)

Same car. I probably mentioned the mushrooms growing on the floor in the back seat. Evidence of my youthful virtue.

I think the 9 year old would enjoy driving. Besides, 7,8,9 are great ages, between the terrible two's and the relapse of the terrible two's. The teenagers can't drive too well with their mouths duct taped shut and straight jackets fully secured. If you are willing to take the risk of driving with unrestrained teenagers then I doubt flying should cause any fear. That way the adults can have the benefit of the precautionary medications without the flying thing. Just remember 767 & 757 = Buick.

I actually asked my 18 yr old daughter and her boyfriend to pick me up on Friday from the company 'awards and nondescript festive event' least I feel any hesitation to partake of all avialible festivities. I haven't figured out if I'm setting a good example or a bad one. It's either come get me cause daddy's getting plowed or a responsible adult uses a designated driver. And to think we used to put this little bundle of joy on a leash.

I'm glad you can exercise. Biking was not an option during the bad old days so I take that as a good sign.

john h on 12/12/01 at 09:52 (066818)

Wendy: I will renind you as I do my wife that there are approximately 50,000 persons who lose their lives in auto accidents in the USA each year and many more than that injured. Flying a commercial air liner remains one of the safest ways to travel.

wendyn on 12/12/01 at 19:26 (066856)

And I remind you that a phobia is an irrational fear.

Doesn't matter that flying is safer - scares the %&#! out of me.

You can't rationalize it because it's irrational.

So am I sometimes.

john h on 12/13/01 at 10:05 (066874)

Wendy: There is not a pilot out there with a significant amount of flying time that has not had the % scared out of him. I have never been very uneasy as long as I am at the controls even in combat but I must admit sitting in the back with the passengers is very different. I had a number of fellow officers who washed out of pilot training because they could never shake the fear factor. When piloting an aircraft I think pilots are able to push any fears they have out of their thought process. They are also usually very busy in a modern aircraft. Pilots are more and more becoming 'System's Managers' in aircraft as computer and electronics have taken over much of what used to be called Pilot Skills. Though rarely done modern aircraft can land themselves while the pilot just watches. Navigation used to be an art but with GPS you always know where you are within a few feet. I suspect we all have our fears about something or other. I was reading recently that they have discovered a particular gene in so called 'risk takers' such as pilots, daredevils, etc. There may be one for phobias also. Maybe a loud jet flew over your hospital at the moment of your birth