Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

question about my new orthotics

Posted by Carole C on 12/10/01 at 16:24 (066635)

Today I went to the pedorthist, and she made some orthotics. What she did, was pour out some white goo in a tray, and then pushed my foot down in it (there was a layer of plastic or something between the goo and my foot). She had straps on my knee and ankle, probably to make sure it went in straight. Then the tray was spirited off, and later the staff came back with blue inserts that are soft like foam, at least on the side that touches my foot, and custom shaped to my foot. She put the orthotics in a clumpy but very comfy SAS 'Time Out' shoe, that cost $134. I haven't removed the orthotics/inserts, so I don't know if they are foam all the way through. The receipt for them says 'Orthofeet' and they cost $225.

My question is this: Are these custom orthotics?

I thought custom orthotics would be hard rather than soft, though I have never seen any before. Also, I thought custom orthotics require a break in period, but she said to go ahead and wear them all day at work (at a desk job), and then to wear my Birkenstocks at home.

Whatever these inserts are, they feel SO GOOD, at least for now. They give me a lot of support in my rear arch, and apparently that is just precisely what my feet need. They feel better standing and walking, than they do sitting, because the arch support pushes in on the right spot.

Carole C

Re: question about my new orthotics

Richard, C.Ped on 12/11/01 at 08:28 (066694)

I am not sure about the system she used, nor am I very familiar with 'Orthofeet'. Many pedorthists use different systems for casting. I used to be a stickler for impression foam. We have developed a system in which we do not use the foam anymore, and get a better impression of the foot.

I would ask if she made a cast, or if she somehow heat molded the orthosis blank to your impression.

With my patients, I do not like to leave them wondering what is going on. I like to tell them every detail about what I am doing from the initial exam to the final dispensing of the product.

About wearing the orthosis all day, hmmm, be very careful. I do not recommend that with any type of material. As for wondering about materials, an orthosis can be made out of any type material as long as it is the best choice for the patients condition. Someone with a very sensitive foot, I would go soft. Most of my athletes, I use a harder material.

If you have any questions pertaining to what you received, you should always know that you have the right to ask questions. Don't be ashamed or timid to ask what they are doing and what is going on. If you receive information you don't understand, feel free to ask me either here (that would be preferred since others may have the same question, but do not usually post) or through email. My email is (email removed).

Good luck!!
Richard

Carole C on 12/11/01 at 16:50 (066750)

Thanks, Richard! I appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions. She was talking during most of the 3-4 hours she spent with me, trying to educate me as to why I am in such pain, and what to do to lessen it. Still, even though I was trying very hard, I didn't absorb everything she said.

She gave me some time for asking questions, now and then, but I concentrated on basic things like 'Should I tape', and didn't question her techniques. I didn't feel like I understand orthotic making techniques well enough to understand her answers to any questions I could formulate on the spot. Later, I became really curious! So your answers are greatly appreciated.

I'll take it easy with wearing the orthosis all day. Thanks for the alert. I wore them for ten hours today and then switched to my Birkenstocks when I got home. So far so good, but I'd rather be cautious than risk any more pain. We've got plenty of that with PF, without inviting more!

Carole C

Re: Photos of my new SAS shoes

Carole C on 12/11/01 at 17:57 (066766)

Someone on the other board asked what my new SAS 'Time Out' shoes look like, and I couldn't find a photo online. So, I took four photos and they can be seen at

http://members.home.net/louisel19/shoes.html

for anyone who is curious. The blue orthotics are inside them. Ignore the way I look holding them; it's been a long day.

Carole C

Mahatmelissama on 12/18/01 at 15:39 (067339)

Carol,

Good for you, girlfriend!

Can you go into Walmart and stand in line without pain?

Man, what I would give to be able to do that and:
1) sing in front of everyone in church for a long period of time
2) teach Sunday school on my feet
3) take long walks without pain
4) go countryline dancing without PAIN
5) stand in social situations with no fear of impending pain

Sorry, just fantasizing here...

:)

Melissa

Carole C on 12/18/01 at 17:51 (067352)

I would still be in pain if I went to WalMart right now. But at least I am not in pain and crying if I avoid that kind of thing.

I could go to Walmart and stand in line (though not often) and I would probably lean over my cart resting my weight on it, and shifting my weight from time to time, from one foot to the other, and regret it the next day. If it was a long line as I recall exists during this season, I would probably be very cranky and hurting by the time I got to the cash register, but I think I could make it. Then I would get mad at myself for hurting my feet and setting myself back.

As you may guess from my answer, I am dying to go to Walmart but I am not letting myself do that for now. If my WalMart would join the 21st century and get motorized thingies like all the other WalMarts apparently have, then I would not have to stand at all.

It's very hard for me to rest more than my instincts tell me to rest, but that is what I am doing now. My feet need to start healing more than they have. Rest seems to help that a lot (although I am so new at this that I do not know if the benefits of rest last, or if the healing feet just tear again the first minute I try to do anything later on). Since I am resting them, they do not hurt much in the minimal level of activities that I do. That includes cooking microwave meals for myself sometimes, going to work (handicapped spot to desk requires walking only about 40 feet or so), using the restroom, and that is about it other than TV and computer. I haven't even let myself go to the grocery store in two or three weeks so that will be my next 'big store' to handle, maybe Sunday very early. Last night I had Wendys, and tonight maybe I'll go to the drive-through Subway. I can handle those on Weight Watchers and I don't have to walk to go there.

My life is so boring like this. But if my feet heal by doing this, maybe I will be able to do more in a few months.

Carole C

Re: Carole - food shopping on line?

Julie on 12/19/01 at 02:01 (067383)

Carole your post makes me wonder if you couldn't do your food shopping on line. The main supermarket chains in England, like Tesco and Sainsbury, now offer this service - you can browse through their website, order everything you need, and have it delivered to your door (often the same day) for a small delivery charge. Does this exist in the States? I can't believe England is ahead of you in any technological respect, so perhaps it does. It would be a boon to PF-ers.

Re: Maybe!

Carole C on 12/19/01 at 12:36 (067407)

Julie, thanks for the idea. I think that nearly every place is ahead of New Orleans technologically! LOL But maybe I am wrong about that. Perhaps this is possible. I'm thinking that I can probably last until the weekend or possibly even the following weekend before I really need to go, and by that time my feet should be getting stronger so that it is easier for me. I know of one grocery store that has the electronic wheelchair/carts, so that is another option.

Carole

Richard, C.Ped on 12/11/01 at 08:28 (066694)

I am not sure about the system she used, nor am I very familiar with 'Orthofeet'. Many pedorthists use different systems for casting. I used to be a stickler for impression foam. We have developed a system in which we do not use the foam anymore, and get a better impression of the foot.

I would ask if she made a cast, or if she somehow heat molded the orthosis blank to your impression.

With my patients, I do not like to leave them wondering what is going on. I like to tell them every detail about what I am doing from the initial exam to the final dispensing of the product.

About wearing the orthosis all day, hmmm, be very careful. I do not recommend that with any type of material. As for wondering about materials, an orthosis can be made out of any type material as long as it is the best choice for the patients condition. Someone with a very sensitive foot, I would go soft. Most of my athletes, I use a harder material.

If you have any questions pertaining to what you received, you should always know that you have the right to ask questions. Don't be ashamed or timid to ask what they are doing and what is going on. If you receive information you don't understand, feel free to ask me either here (that would be preferred since others may have the same question, but do not usually post) or through email. My email is (email removed).

Good luck!!
Richard

Carole C on 12/11/01 at 16:50 (066750)

Thanks, Richard! I appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions. She was talking during most of the 3-4 hours she spent with me, trying to educate me as to why I am in such pain, and what to do to lessen it. Still, even though I was trying very hard, I didn't absorb everything she said.

She gave me some time for asking questions, now and then, but I concentrated on basic things like 'Should I tape', and didn't question her techniques. I didn't feel like I understand orthotic making techniques well enough to understand her answers to any questions I could formulate on the spot. Later, I became really curious! So your answers are greatly appreciated.

I'll take it easy with wearing the orthosis all day. Thanks for the alert. I wore them for ten hours today and then switched to my Birkenstocks when I got home. So far so good, but I'd rather be cautious than risk any more pain. We've got plenty of that with PF, without inviting more!

Carole C

Carole C on 12/11/01 at 17:57 (066766)

Someone on the other board asked what my new SAS 'Time Out' shoes look like, and I couldn't find a photo online. So, I took four photos and they can be seen at

http://members.home.net/louisel19/shoes.html

for anyone who is curious. The blue orthotics are inside them. Ignore the way I look holding them; it's been a long day.

Carole C

Mahatmelissama on 12/18/01 at 15:39 (067339)

Carol,

Good for you, girlfriend!

Can you go into Walmart and stand in line without pain?

Man, what I would give to be able to do that and:
1) sing in front of everyone in church for a long period of time
2) teach Sunday school on my feet
3) take long walks without pain
4) go countryline dancing without PAIN
5) stand in social situations with no fear of impending pain

Sorry, just fantasizing here...

:)

Melissa

Carole C on 12/18/01 at 17:51 (067352)

I would still be in pain if I went to WalMart right now. But at least I am not in pain and crying if I avoid that kind of thing.

I could go to Walmart and stand in line (though not often) and I would probably lean over my cart resting my weight on it, and shifting my weight from time to time, from one foot to the other, and regret it the next day. If it was a long line as I recall exists during this season, I would probably be very cranky and hurting by the time I got to the cash register, but I think I could make it. Then I would get mad at myself for hurting my feet and setting myself back.

As you may guess from my answer, I am dying to go to Walmart but I am not letting myself do that for now. If my WalMart would join the 21st century and get motorized thingies like all the other WalMarts apparently have, then I would not have to stand at all.

It's very hard for me to rest more than my instincts tell me to rest, but that is what I am doing now. My feet need to start healing more than they have. Rest seems to help that a lot (although I am so new at this that I do not know if the benefits of rest last, or if the healing feet just tear again the first minute I try to do anything later on). Since I am resting them, they do not hurt much in the minimal level of activities that I do. That includes cooking microwave meals for myself sometimes, going to work (handicapped spot to desk requires walking only about 40 feet or so), using the restroom, and that is about it other than TV and computer. I haven't even let myself go to the grocery store in two or three weeks so that will be my next 'big store' to handle, maybe Sunday very early. Last night I had Wendys, and tonight maybe I'll go to the drive-through Subway. I can handle those on Weight Watchers and I don't have to walk to go there.

My life is so boring like this. But if my feet heal by doing this, maybe I will be able to do more in a few months.

Carole C

Re: Carole - food shopping on line?

Julie on 12/19/01 at 02:01 (067383)

Carole your post makes me wonder if you couldn't do your food shopping on line. The main supermarket chains in England, like Tesco and Sainsbury, now offer this service - you can browse through their website, order everything you need, and have it delivered to your door (often the same day) for a small delivery charge. Does this exist in the States? I can't believe England is ahead of you in any technological respect, so perhaps it does. It would be a boon to PF-ers.

Re: Maybe!

Carole C on 12/19/01 at 12:36 (067407)

Julie, thanks for the idea. I think that nearly every place is ahead of New Orleans technologically! LOL But maybe I am wrong about that. Perhaps this is possible. I'm thinking that I can probably last until the weekend or possibly even the following weekend before I really need to go, and by that time my feet should be getting stronger so that it is easier for me. I know of one grocery store that has the electronic wheelchair/carts, so that is another option.

Carole