Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

i'm an athlete and it's gonna kill me

Posted by michael b on 12/10/01 at 17:52 (066643)

permit me to give you a background. i'm 42, a financial consultant (mostly desk job), father of three girls, and in my prior life was a collegiate athlete (basketball) and then marine corps officer. have been very fortunate in that thru all the athletics and otherwise very active lifestyle, have never dealt w/ serious injury. in september 2000, i got up on a saturday morning for a usual jog, no big deal. the next morning when i put my left foot down on the floor from the bed it felt like i had a huge stone bruise. kept thinking it would go away, never did. saw a doctor in may 2001, and thru orthotics,stretching, an ossatron treatment (in august) and now a night splint (both @home and at work), i walk, ride a bike, and even play a round of golf w/o too much pain, but to run or play tennis would be brutal ---- i'm getting very concerned that this pf is not going to ever let me run again, and it's distressing me greatly. i know some have had much worse problems than i, but running has been my emotional/phsical outlet for many years, and the thought of giving it up kills me ----- can anybody relate and offer advice/ suggestion???? thanks

Re: i'm not but i can sure relate to this

Carole C on 12/10/01 at 18:20 (066647)

I am about as far from being an athlete as possible, but I think I can definitely relate!!!

Walking (not on the level you are talking about, but much much less) is very important to me and gives me a sense of self worth and personal victory. Having recently recovered from long term mobility problems associated with osteoarthritis, I felt like i had reclaimed my life and I was determined to do all I can to live it to the fullest extent possible, now. However, lately due to PF I haven't been able to get around much more than I could before. I get so worn down and depressed from the pain and wonder if I will ever lead a normal life.

BUT... from what I understand, people DO recover from PF. It takes a long, long time and the right kind of treatment for you. It's hard not to feel depressed and discouraged with PF, especially around Christmas time (and this is your second Christmas with PF, which has to be monumentally discouraging). But hang in there, Michael. If you keep pursuing your goal of treatment and recovering from PF, you will be successful.

We have to hang on to our resolve, like piranhas.

Carole C

Re: i'm an athlete and it's gonna kill me

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/10/01 at 18:30 (066654)

Hi,

Did you get any pain relief from the ESWT treatment? It is possible to get relief even though no relief from the first ESWT treatment. You are past the three month healing period. If you would like to have additional information on ESWT treatment you can either ask Dr. Z (me) on this site or e-mail me at (email removed).

Suzanne D on 12/10/01 at 18:39 (066656)

Michael, the most athletic thing I have done is play Duck Duck Goose with my first graders, :-) but I can relate to your frustrations. I used to love walking, but now I get around so much slower (49 years old but feel like my feet are 79!) although I am thankful not to be limping now.

What shoes do you wear for your daily activities? There is a lot of good advice here on this site and the Shoes/Inserts message board on that subject. I learned about Birkenstock shoes here in August, and I credit them for most of the improvement I have been able to achieve.

Good luck to you!

CArmen on 12/10/01 at 19:40 (066661)

As an EX athlete......as of June 2001 suffering with PF and nerve pain in feet I can say I truly truly understand . I was a kickboxer, spinner, weight lifter, runner, power walker and now I stretch and that's it.
But if you open your mind and eyes you are likely to find peace and another way of 'emotionally' letting go. Exercise was my destresser too....time to find a new way. You'll be fine....and you'll adapt.
Hang in there. There's a less on to be learned here even if it's just gratitude that you have your feet at all.
We're a good support group so stay with us.

Re: I'm already dead

elliott on 12/11/01 at 10:08 (066705)

I'm 41. Died a thousand deaths; destined to die a thousand more.

Started running at 32. It was the only thing in the world I really liked doing. Got in great shape, began dieting to get even faster, weight dropped from 190 to 153, people gave me the ultimate compliment when they told me I looked emaciated. Started taking age-group medals in road races (not bad for an uncoordinated Jewish guy), felt on top of the world, could handle all of life's stresses as long as I could get in that daily run. Then I developed bilateral tarsal tunnel, the surgeries didn't go well, more medical problems followed. My last attempted run was on October 10, 2000.

I cycle now, and do yoga. Not the same--nothing is--but it's a lot better than nothing. But I won't lie to you: while some get over it with time, I never did. I am forever depressed about it; can't help it. Still clinging to that dream that maybe one day, I'll get back to it. While my PR dreams may have been permanently crushed (I'm too old now), I dream of one day getting back at least to that daily feel-good of a run! Even if it's unrealistic, it's hope. But right now a part of me is dead. Destined to roam mindlessly around this heelspurs site forever (you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave [insert steel guitar]) unless I'm kicked off first (more likely :-)). Maybe you'll be different and actually get over it in a hundred years or so.

But you still have a bigger glimmer of hope. You're still relatively early with your PF; understand that it takes time. I know plenty of runners who got through PF after years of trouble. Keep at all the RICE, orthotics, stretching stuff, etc., as it often takes a long time to kick in and the PF to heal. You can also consider surgery, which, as you can read about on these boards, works for some, not for others. You have hope.

Yes, there are some people here much worse off, some in constant agony. No, that doesn't make you feel better about not running, but it may give you an understanding of what life's about and may help you cope better if you must face the inevitable. Good luck.

-------

john h on 12/11/01 at 11:14 (066711)

Michael: Your story sounds like mine. Air Force pilot, noon time basketball 5 days a week for 20 years. Run 35 miles a week for past 35 years and then one day i start a run up a hill and my life has been altered ever since with bi-laterial PF. My best suggestion to you is if you catch this early and stop the activities that stress the fascia you have a shot of getting a cure. If you continue with tennis (really bad) or running you could be headed into my territory of 7 years of PF and I cannot run a lick. If you are driven as I was and ran through the pain until i could no longer take it then you may suffer the consequences. Take heed my friend and take a rest from activities that involve stressing the fascia.There is no quick fix on this condition.

michael b on 12/11/01 at 12:19 (066714)

i asked if you were an athlete, that was before i read this note you sent// appreciate the thoughts and comments ---- obviously i'm not ready to give up yet

michael b on 12/11/01 at 12:32 (066717)

here's been my timeline dr. after trying orthotics from may to june w/ little effect, my doctor (david wolf, houston, tx) recommended the ossatron treatment, which we did on 8/28. there was no immediate relief, and after about 3-4 weeks i was of the impression this was a huge waste of time and money, and was rather despondent. at a follow up visit w/ dr wolf, he then said this could take up to 3 mos to see progress. it's hard to say whether or not it really helped. my heel is better (still can't run as i indicated earlier), but in early october i started w/ a night splint, and i would say that has been the best treatment so far. again, whether the ossatron had worked in conjunction w/ the nightsplint i can't say. if it has, i would say the maximum improvement would be about 15-20%. today, 12/11 i just returned from another dpm, kendrick dennis, also here in houston. after taking fresh x-rays, and reviewing what has been done up to this point, he has recommended a strategy of taping the foot, and seeing if that can get me running. he says that may get it, if not he then wants to try a series of 3 cortizone shots --- he came highly recommended, as he has worked w/ a number of athletes/runners here in houston

michael b on 12/11/01 at 12:43 (066718)

thank you for your response --- i'm glad you brought up shoes. would you belive, by far the most comfortable shoes i have are my adidas shower shoes cost me $9.99, had em for years made of either hard rubber and/or plastic --- they provide outstanding support. i have wondered about other shoes that can give similar support that i can wear in public, thank you for mentioning birkenstock. i've also seen a very athletic sandal made by nike that looks to have similar support characteristics, although i haven't tried any ---- isn't it amazing??? i spend over $500 on custon orthotics, and my $9.99 shower shoes blow them away . . . go figure

michael b on 12/11/01 at 13:14 (066720)

one of the best pieces of penmanship i've read. tears streaming down my face as i read your tale --- my secretaries are asking what's wrong, my main assistant comes in, closes the office door, and asked if my wife fimally ran off w/my golf partner .... i said no, it's worse. i just read about elliot who is actually living my worst nightmare. i feel like i had just communicated w/ the ghost of christmas future. i pray that is not my lot in life, to be reduced to stretching myself in yoga classes w/ an instructor who tells me to be free inside myself. if all scrooge had to do was give a turkey and a 10% raise to bob cratchit &little tim to avoid his fate, i'll give the family my 401k plan to avoid yours. i just this morning got back from the 3rd doctor who says we will try tape, and possibly a series of cortizone shots (see my posting to dr zuckerman). i'm committed to see this through, to leave no stone unturned, explore every option (my wife is now so used to having the nightsplint in bed she's wanted to know if it comes in magenta. . . go w/the bedspread). man, at 41 i sure hope some miracle occurs (have you thought of televangelists??) so that you can just get a 3 mile run in every other day --- thx again for your time ---- keep me posted --i'll oblige --- take care, happy hannukah---michael (your basic southern baptist gentile)

michael b on 12/11/01 at 13:19 (066722)

i think that's great advice --- i'd happily lay off a year if it will allow me the chance to run again --- i guess the mantra should be 'if it hurts, even a little, back off' --- am on my 3rd doctor who says i'm fixable, wants to see if taping will help, and maybe even cortizone shots (3 of them.) after that, i just will wait --- again, appreciate your time,, semper fi, and God bless

Re: Re:shoes...

Suzanne D on 12/11/01 at 19:50 (066771)

That IS something, isn't it? Somehow the shower shoes must give your feet good support, as you said. I am still learning about dealing with this PF after 7 months struggling with it. But I have found that 'soft and comfortable' is not always best OR comfortable! I had worn SAS slip-ons for years to teach in and thought they were good shoes. I do think I wore each pair much too long and didn't realize I had lost support inside the shoes. Of course I am on my feet practically all the time teaching first grade, so it has caught up with me.

After my problem began, I bought a pair of Reebok DMX Walkers as they felt comfortable when I put them on, but then I couldn't stand having them on for very long at a time. After the first week of school I was reduced to tears and desperate for more help than I had found from my initial visit to my family doctor. So I typed in Plantar Fasciitis and this site came up. It has been a GREAT source of both information and encouragement to me! That evening my family each had places to go and I was home alone so I read on this site for hours until my neck hurt and my eyes burned, but I kept at it. I kept reading about Birkenstock shoes, so I searched until I found a store an hour away in Louisville, KY which sells them. I learned that firm and supportive is a lot more helpful to me than soft and comfortable.

From what I have seen on the Birkenstock website, there are many shoes for men which look like 'regular shoes'. I don't know if they are as helpful as the Arizona sandals, but it would probably be worth the effort to search out a store and try some on.

Best wishes to you!

michael b on 12/12/01 at 09:33 (066814)

you're right. i'm not going to run. swimming, weights(mostly upper body) light cycling, golf is it --- if one of those seem to bug the foot// i'll quit that as well ---

michael b on 12/12/01 at 09:40 (066815)

thx for the comments ---- do you know anything about what i mentioned in the last posting--- those 'athletic santdals'??? i think they're make by nike// maybe others as well. . . . any ideas on those?? thx again for your time --- michael

Suzanne D on 12/12/01 at 11:55 (066837)

I'm not familiar with the athletic sandals, Michael. I do know that I have seen and tried on some Birkenstock 'look-a-likes' made by other companies, but I could immediately tell that they did not feel as good on my feet. I'm not pushing Birkenstock, but I like to share what has helped me since I learned it from others who were willing to share as well!

I wish for you continued improvement and healing! :-)

Maureen S on 12/12/01 at 15:10 (066843)

Michael---
I really can relate to your story. About the shoe issue--I have tried many things before finding out why my feet hurt, first being changing shoes almost like changing undergarments, HA! At any rate I found some Speedo sandals ( from Costco ) kinda like the ones you are describing, I was so desperate for relief and they felt better than my tennies at one point that I even wore them to work with socks underneath, boy was that a sight. But comfort is the key--and even a few hours of happy feet are a gift. My feet hurt so bad in the morning when I got up and I could barely stand in the shower so that is when I started wearing them so I could shower with support under my feet and realized that they were something that felt good for a short time, meaning that as the day went on the feet felt worse from standing too much no matter what shoes I had on.

As time went on things didnt get better, I saw a podiatrist who told me I had PF. To make a long story short after a year of getting no relief from all of the conservative treatments ( ice, taping, orthotics, PT , accupunsture, streatching etc.)requested by this DR I went on a mission to get some better help. And then I was told that I had severe PF and TTS, and about 6 months later I had surg one foot at a time and I am 8 weeks post op from my second foot.

I know that I have a long road ahead of me but I also know that I dont want to suffer with foot pain, and am willing to do anything. Jokingly I have told the DR's --if you would tell me to walk 5 miles a day to take away the pain I would. I followed all their instrustions to the T. At this point I have so much time invested that I dont want to ruin a good thing --if the surgery was a success, so I am taking things one day at a time and taking care of my feet which is not easy--I am tired of being tired from doing nothing!!( as far as being active )
WEll I hope you great success in you journey to getting happy feet. WE all are here for you and that we are all living one day at a time. Our never ending relentless struggle to finding the path to having happy feet again.

Maureen

Re: how are you doing, Michael?

Carole C on 12/15/01 at 13:36 (067051)

Michael, how are you doing? I have been thinking about your post and feeling sad about your situation.

It seems to me that human beings in general need more than just food and shelter to live. They need to exercise! Even PRISONERS are allowed out to exercise regularly.

And it has to be so much worse for you as an athlete than it would be for those who are not. You are suffering on so many levels. I just want you to know that we still care and hope you are doing what you have to do to get better, so you can run again like you did. Please don't give up hope.

Carole C

michael b on 12/17/01 at 13:30 (067200)

carmen -- thought i'd give an update -- per all the advice from all of those that responded to my dilemma, i have cancelled the appt w/ the doc who thought i should try and jog some w/ the tape on. i have committed myself to only cycling, swimming, weights, and a round of golf once a week or so. when it comes to the cycling, i'll only do fairly light stuff, not hard core spinning or a long tough ride, just a few blocks around the neighborhood for about 20 minutes. last friday, i did get in the pool for the first time in ages, swam 500 yds, and can say the foot felt NO PAIN whatsoever. then, i took a 25 minute massage and told the masseur to spend about 10 - 15 minutes on the feet, and told her about the pf in the left heel. as she began to rub, she could actually feel some tightness, almost like it was a very small knot in the left heel, which then proceeded to loosen as she gingerly rubbed on it. i will chronicle my work out routine/massage therapy, and hopefully will have some success. my exact plan is as follows: Day 1 - cycle 20 min// then weights (chest,shoulders) abs, stretching. Day 2 - swimming 500 yds, weights(arms),abs,stretching,foot massage- 15 min. Day 3 cycle, weights (legs,back), stretching, abs Day 4 rest. then start the three day cycle over again. each workout will take an hour, and i'm not trying to kill myself on any of it. am hoping the foot will slowly heal --- we'll see where we are in 6 mos. will keep you posted -- it's therapeutic just to talk this out -- thank you for reading --- if anybody has comments, they are appreciated

michael b on 12/17/01 at 13:48 (067206)

thank you very much . . . . after reading all of the stories on this site, i realize that a) i'm not alone, and b) there are folks who have things a lot worse. the most disconcerting thing (that i guess everyone else has come to grips with) is that for the first time in my life i may have come up against something that will cause me to shut down an activity (running) that has been a part of me for a long time. although i will fight the good fight, i realize there is no guarantee that i can run again. again, there are others who have so much more problems, both w. pf and w/ life that this is miniscule in the fulness of life, but hey, it's my first time in feeling my mortality, and it ain't fun. anyway, i'm gonna have a merry xmas, and you do too.

Carole C on 12/17/01 at 19:07 (067251)

It's tough to be forced to stop running when it's been such a tremendous part of your life. But it doesn't have to mean that you can never run again. It takes months or years to heal from PF, and then after that you will have to gradually build up your ability again. Nevertheless, I think with your desire to run and determination, and with a good foot doctor and the self-discipline that you already know from athletics, you can do it. You have done a lot in your life and I doubt that you are going to stop now.

The mortality thing is pretty hideous, isn't it. On the other hand, there's a heady feeling of victory after one has beaten it back, if that is possible. (I haven't done that yet with PF, but have with another challenge that life presented to me). The patience, self control, and determination you've learned in your athletic endeavors will really be tested, though.

I feel pretty determined myself. I have found out that for me, what I feel like I can do is actually less than what I really should do if I'm going to heal. Interesting observation and one that I plan to use.

Carole

Carole C on 12/17/01 at 19:29 (067257)

Just that my athletic dreams would come true if I could ever do the amount that you are doing right now! It must be wonderful.

I'm a little concerned about the golf, because of all the walking, but you and Carmen are the athletes (I'm not and never have been) so you would have a better grasp on what is possible for you. Personally I think it would be great if I could just do my shopping and housework. lol

The swimming ought to work out pretty well. It's easy on the feet, and still lets you really apply yourself without holding back so much. That might be a good place to look for that endorphin rush if you miss it from running. Best of luck with your new routine!

Carole

michael b on 12/18/01 at 10:21 (067317)

thank you again for the interest --- the swimming is PAINLESS --- did it last nite and will get a little in this evening as well ---- as for golf, usually i can go at least 14 - 15 holes feeling great, then the foot may ache a little, nothing really painful, hopefully w/ the rest of the routine, even this may go away .... if not, maybe just play 15 holes --- will experiment

Re: i'm not but i can sure relate to this

Carole C on 12/10/01 at 18:20 (066647)

I am about as far from being an athlete as possible, but I think I can definitely relate!!!

Walking (not on the level you are talking about, but much much less) is very important to me and gives me a sense of self worth and personal victory. Having recently recovered from long term mobility problems associated with osteoarthritis, I felt like i had reclaimed my life and I was determined to do all I can to live it to the fullest extent possible, now. However, lately due to PF I haven't been able to get around much more than I could before. I get so worn down and depressed from the pain and wonder if I will ever lead a normal life.

BUT... from what I understand, people DO recover from PF. It takes a long, long time and the right kind of treatment for you. It's hard not to feel depressed and discouraged with PF, especially around Christmas time (and this is your second Christmas with PF, which has to be monumentally discouraging). But hang in there, Michael. If you keep pursuing your goal of treatment and recovering from PF, you will be successful.

We have to hang on to our resolve, like piranhas.

Carole C

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/10/01 at 18:30 (066654)

Hi,

Did you get any pain relief from the ESWT treatment? It is possible to get relief even though no relief from the first ESWT treatment. You are past the three month healing period. If you would like to have additional information on ESWT treatment you can either ask Dr. Z (me) on this site or e-mail me at (email removed).

Suzanne D on 12/10/01 at 18:39 (066656)

Michael, the most athletic thing I have done is play Duck Duck Goose with my first graders, :-) but I can relate to your frustrations. I used to love walking, but now I get around so much slower (49 years old but feel like my feet are 79!) although I am thankful not to be limping now.

What shoes do you wear for your daily activities? There is a lot of good advice here on this site and the Shoes/Inserts message board on that subject. I learned about Birkenstock shoes here in August, and I credit them for most of the improvement I have been able to achieve.

Good luck to you!

CArmen on 12/10/01 at 19:40 (066661)

As an EX athlete......as of June 2001 suffering with PF and nerve pain in feet I can say I truly truly understand . I was a kickboxer, spinner, weight lifter, runner, power walker and now I stretch and that's it.
But if you open your mind and eyes you are likely to find peace and another way of 'emotionally' letting go. Exercise was my destresser too....time to find a new way. You'll be fine....and you'll adapt.
Hang in there. There's a less on to be learned here even if it's just gratitude that you have your feet at all.
We're a good support group so stay with us.

elliott on 12/11/01 at 10:08 (066705)

I'm 41. Died a thousand deaths; destined to die a thousand more.

Started running at 32. It was the only thing in the world I really liked doing. Got in great shape, began dieting to get even faster, weight dropped from 190 to 153, people gave me the ultimate compliment when they told me I looked emaciated. Started taking age-group medals in road races (not bad for an uncoordinated Jewish guy), felt on top of the world, could handle all of life's stresses as long as I could get in that daily run. Then I developed bilateral tarsal tunnel, the surgeries didn't go well, more medical problems followed. My last attempted run was on October 10, 2000.

I cycle now, and do yoga. Not the same--nothing is--but it's a lot better than nothing. But I won't lie to you: while some get over it with time, I never did. I am forever depressed about it; can't help it. Still clinging to that dream that maybe one day, I'll get back to it. While my PR dreams may have been permanently crushed (I'm too old now), I dream of one day getting back at least to that daily feel-good of a run! Even if it's unrealistic, it's hope. But right now a part of me is dead. Destined to roam mindlessly around this heelspurs site forever (you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave [insert steel guitar]) unless I'm kicked off first (more likely :-)). Maybe you'll be different and actually get over it in a hundred years or so.

But you still have a bigger glimmer of hope. You're still relatively early with your PF; understand that it takes time. I know plenty of runners who got through PF after years of trouble. Keep at all the RICE, orthotics, stretching stuff, etc., as it often takes a long time to kick in and the PF to heal. You can also consider surgery, which, as you can read about on these boards, works for some, not for others. You have hope.

Yes, there are some people here much worse off, some in constant agony. No, that doesn't make you feel better about not running, but it may give you an understanding of what life's about and may help you cope better if you must face the inevitable. Good luck.

-------

john h on 12/11/01 at 11:14 (066711)

Michael: Your story sounds like mine. Air Force pilot, noon time basketball 5 days a week for 20 years. Run 35 miles a week for past 35 years and then one day i start a run up a hill and my life has been altered ever since with bi-laterial PF. My best suggestion to you is if you catch this early and stop the activities that stress the fascia you have a shot of getting a cure. If you continue with tennis (really bad) or running you could be headed into my territory of 7 years of PF and I cannot run a lick. If you are driven as I was and ran through the pain until i could no longer take it then you may suffer the consequences. Take heed my friend and take a rest from activities that involve stressing the fascia.There is no quick fix on this condition.

michael b on 12/11/01 at 12:19 (066714)

i asked if you were an athlete, that was before i read this note you sent// appreciate the thoughts and comments ---- obviously i'm not ready to give up yet

michael b on 12/11/01 at 12:32 (066717)

here's been my timeline dr. after trying orthotics from may to june w/ little effect, my doctor (david wolf, houston, tx) recommended the ossatron treatment, which we did on 8/28. there was no immediate relief, and after about 3-4 weeks i was of the impression this was a huge waste of time and money, and was rather despondent. at a follow up visit w/ dr wolf, he then said this could take up to 3 mos to see progress. it's hard to say whether or not it really helped. my heel is better (still can't run as i indicated earlier), but in early october i started w/ a night splint, and i would say that has been the best treatment so far. again, whether the ossatron had worked in conjunction w/ the nightsplint i can't say. if it has, i would say the maximum improvement would be about 15-20%. today, 12/11 i just returned from another dpm, kendrick dennis, also here in houston. after taking fresh x-rays, and reviewing what has been done up to this point, he has recommended a strategy of taping the foot, and seeing if that can get me running. he says that may get it, if not he then wants to try a series of 3 cortizone shots --- he came highly recommended, as he has worked w/ a number of athletes/runners here in houston

michael b on 12/11/01 at 12:43 (066718)

thank you for your response --- i'm glad you brought up shoes. would you belive, by far the most comfortable shoes i have are my adidas shower shoes cost me $9.99, had em for years made of either hard rubber and/or plastic --- they provide outstanding support. i have wondered about other shoes that can give similar support that i can wear in public, thank you for mentioning birkenstock. i've also seen a very athletic sandal made by nike that looks to have similar support characteristics, although i haven't tried any ---- isn't it amazing??? i spend over $500 on custon orthotics, and my $9.99 shower shoes blow them away . . . go figure

michael b on 12/11/01 at 13:14 (066720)

one of the best pieces of penmanship i've read. tears streaming down my face as i read your tale --- my secretaries are asking what's wrong, my main assistant comes in, closes the office door, and asked if my wife fimally ran off w/my golf partner .... i said no, it's worse. i just read about elliot who is actually living my worst nightmare. i feel like i had just communicated w/ the ghost of christmas future. i pray that is not my lot in life, to be reduced to stretching myself in yoga classes w/ an instructor who tells me to be free inside myself. if all scrooge had to do was give a turkey and a 10% raise to bob cratchit &little tim to avoid his fate, i'll give the family my 401k plan to avoid yours. i just this morning got back from the 3rd doctor who says we will try tape, and possibly a series of cortizone shots (see my posting to dr zuckerman). i'm committed to see this through, to leave no stone unturned, explore every option (my wife is now so used to having the nightsplint in bed she's wanted to know if it comes in magenta. . . go w/the bedspread). man, at 41 i sure hope some miracle occurs (have you thought of televangelists??) so that you can just get a 3 mile run in every other day --- thx again for your time ---- keep me posted --i'll oblige --- take care, happy hannukah---michael (your basic southern baptist gentile)

michael b on 12/11/01 at 13:19 (066722)

i think that's great advice --- i'd happily lay off a year if it will allow me the chance to run again --- i guess the mantra should be 'if it hurts, even a little, back off' --- am on my 3rd doctor who says i'm fixable, wants to see if taping will help, and maybe even cortizone shots (3 of them.) after that, i just will wait --- again, appreciate your time,, semper fi, and God bless

Suzanne D on 12/11/01 at 19:50 (066771)

That IS something, isn't it? Somehow the shower shoes must give your feet good support, as you said. I am still learning about dealing with this PF after 7 months struggling with it. But I have found that 'soft and comfortable' is not always best OR comfortable! I had worn SAS slip-ons for years to teach in and thought they were good shoes. I do think I wore each pair much too long and didn't realize I had lost support inside the shoes. Of course I am on my feet practically all the time teaching first grade, so it has caught up with me.

After my problem began, I bought a pair of Reebok DMX Walkers as they felt comfortable when I put them on, but then I couldn't stand having them on for very long at a time. After the first week of school I was reduced to tears and desperate for more help than I had found from my initial visit to my family doctor. So I typed in Plantar Fasciitis and this site came up. It has been a GREAT source of both information and encouragement to me! That evening my family each had places to go and I was home alone so I read on this site for hours until my neck hurt and my eyes burned, but I kept at it. I kept reading about Birkenstock shoes, so I searched until I found a store an hour away in Louisville, KY which sells them. I learned that firm and supportive is a lot more helpful to me than soft and comfortable.

From what I have seen on the Birkenstock website, there are many shoes for men which look like 'regular shoes'. I don't know if they are as helpful as the Arizona sandals, but it would probably be worth the effort to search out a store and try some on.

Best wishes to you!

michael b on 12/12/01 at 09:33 (066814)

you're right. i'm not going to run. swimming, weights(mostly upper body) light cycling, golf is it --- if one of those seem to bug the foot// i'll quit that as well ---

michael b on 12/12/01 at 09:40 (066815)

thx for the comments ---- do you know anything about what i mentioned in the last posting--- those 'athletic santdals'??? i think they're make by nike// maybe others as well. . . . any ideas on those?? thx again for your time --- michael

Suzanne D on 12/12/01 at 11:55 (066837)

I'm not familiar with the athletic sandals, Michael. I do know that I have seen and tried on some Birkenstock 'look-a-likes' made by other companies, but I could immediately tell that they did not feel as good on my feet. I'm not pushing Birkenstock, but I like to share what has helped me since I learned it from others who were willing to share as well!

I wish for you continued improvement and healing! :-)

Maureen S on 12/12/01 at 15:10 (066843)

Michael---
I really can relate to your story. About the shoe issue--I have tried many things before finding out why my feet hurt, first being changing shoes almost like changing undergarments, HA! At any rate I found some Speedo sandals ( from Costco ) kinda like the ones you are describing, I was so desperate for relief and they felt better than my tennies at one point that I even wore them to work with socks underneath, boy was that a sight. But comfort is the key--and even a few hours of happy feet are a gift. My feet hurt so bad in the morning when I got up and I could barely stand in the shower so that is when I started wearing them so I could shower with support under my feet and realized that they were something that felt good for a short time, meaning that as the day went on the feet felt worse from standing too much no matter what shoes I had on.

As time went on things didnt get better, I saw a podiatrist who told me I had PF. To make a long story short after a year of getting no relief from all of the conservative treatments ( ice, taping, orthotics, PT , accupunsture, streatching etc.)requested by this DR I went on a mission to get some better help. And then I was told that I had severe PF and TTS, and about 6 months later I had surg one foot at a time and I am 8 weeks post op from my second foot.

I know that I have a long road ahead of me but I also know that I dont want to suffer with foot pain, and am willing to do anything. Jokingly I have told the DR's --if you would tell me to walk 5 miles a day to take away the pain I would. I followed all their instrustions to the T. At this point I have so much time invested that I dont want to ruin a good thing --if the surgery was a success, so I am taking things one day at a time and taking care of my feet which is not easy--I am tired of being tired from doing nothing!!( as far as being active )
WEll I hope you great success in you journey to getting happy feet. WE all are here for you and that we are all living one day at a time. Our never ending relentless struggle to finding the path to having happy feet again.

Maureen

Carole C on 12/15/01 at 13:36 (067051)

Michael, how are you doing? I have been thinking about your post and feeling sad about your situation.

It seems to me that human beings in general need more than just food and shelter to live. They need to exercise! Even PRISONERS are allowed out to exercise regularly.

And it has to be so much worse for you as an athlete than it would be for those who are not. You are suffering on so many levels. I just want you to know that we still care and hope you are doing what you have to do to get better, so you can run again like you did. Please don't give up hope.

Carole C

michael b on 12/17/01 at 13:30 (067200)

carmen -- thought i'd give an update -- per all the advice from all of those that responded to my dilemma, i have cancelled the appt w/ the doc who thought i should try and jog some w/ the tape on. i have committed myself to only cycling, swimming, weights, and a round of golf once a week or so. when it comes to the cycling, i'll only do fairly light stuff, not hard core spinning or a long tough ride, just a few blocks around the neighborhood for about 20 minutes. last friday, i did get in the pool for the first time in ages, swam 500 yds, and can say the foot felt NO PAIN whatsoever. then, i took a 25 minute massage and told the masseur to spend about 10 - 15 minutes on the feet, and told her about the pf in the left heel. as she began to rub, she could actually feel some tightness, almost like it was a very small knot in the left heel, which then proceeded to loosen as she gingerly rubbed on it. i will chronicle my work out routine/massage therapy, and hopefully will have some success. my exact plan is as follows: Day 1 - cycle 20 min// then weights (chest,shoulders) abs, stretching. Day 2 - swimming 500 yds, weights(arms),abs,stretching,foot massage- 15 min. Day 3 cycle, weights (legs,back), stretching, abs Day 4 rest. then start the three day cycle over again. each workout will take an hour, and i'm not trying to kill myself on any of it. am hoping the foot will slowly heal --- we'll see where we are in 6 mos. will keep you posted -- it's therapeutic just to talk this out -- thank you for reading --- if anybody has comments, they are appreciated

michael b on 12/17/01 at 13:48 (067206)

thank you very much . . . . after reading all of the stories on this site, i realize that a) i'm not alone, and b) there are folks who have things a lot worse. the most disconcerting thing (that i guess everyone else has come to grips with) is that for the first time in my life i may have come up against something that will cause me to shut down an activity (running) that has been a part of me for a long time. although i will fight the good fight, i realize there is no guarantee that i can run again. again, there are others who have so much more problems, both w. pf and w/ life that this is miniscule in the fulness of life, but hey, it's my first time in feeling my mortality, and it ain't fun. anyway, i'm gonna have a merry xmas, and you do too.

Carole C on 12/17/01 at 19:07 (067251)

It's tough to be forced to stop running when it's been such a tremendous part of your life. But it doesn't have to mean that you can never run again. It takes months or years to heal from PF, and then after that you will have to gradually build up your ability again. Nevertheless, I think with your desire to run and determination, and with a good foot doctor and the self-discipline that you already know from athletics, you can do it. You have done a lot in your life and I doubt that you are going to stop now.

The mortality thing is pretty hideous, isn't it. On the other hand, there's a heady feeling of victory after one has beaten it back, if that is possible. (I haven't done that yet with PF, but have with another challenge that life presented to me). The patience, self control, and determination you've learned in your athletic endeavors will really be tested, though.

I feel pretty determined myself. I have found out that for me, what I feel like I can do is actually less than what I really should do if I'm going to heal. Interesting observation and one that I plan to use.

Carole

Carole C on 12/17/01 at 19:29 (067257)

Just that my athletic dreams would come true if I could ever do the amount that you are doing right now! It must be wonderful.

I'm a little concerned about the golf, because of all the walking, but you and Carmen are the athletes (I'm not and never have been) so you would have a better grasp on what is possible for you. Personally I think it would be great if I could just do my shopping and housework. lol

The swimming ought to work out pretty well. It's easy on the feet, and still lets you really apply yourself without holding back so much. That might be a good place to look for that endorphin rush if you miss it from running. Best of luck with your new routine!

Carole

michael b on 12/18/01 at 10:21 (067317)

thank you again for the interest --- the swimming is PAINLESS --- did it last nite and will get a little in this evening as well ---- as for golf, usually i can go at least 14 - 15 holes feeling great, then the foot may ache a little, nothing really painful, hopefully w/ the rest of the routine, even this may go away .... if not, maybe just play 15 holes --- will experiment