Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Canadian ESWT and question about post ESWT care?

Posted by Glenn X on 12/11/01 at 12:49 (066719)

Haven't posted in a while. Not a lot of progress to report. PF recovery is such a slow process.

Flexibility (angle of ankle dorsiflexion) has improved nicely (see following post in 'treatments' re this).

Healing is happening, albeit slowly. Still use crutch to help get around, and don't yet get around much.

Most encouraging . . . I'm driving up to Canada (Vancouver, BC) for first ESWT tomorrow. AND driving up there with my Doctor, Dr. Ed, who posts frequently here on heelspurs. When's the last time you knew of a doctor taking a day out of their practice to accompany a PF patient to specialized treatment?

Actually, besides supervising the procedure, he'll be evaluating the Sonocur equipment being used in Vancouver for possible incorporation into his regular practice. Apparently Sonocur is soon to be U.S. aproved, as is Dornier (which I hear may have more versatility). But it'll be great having him a part of the procedure.

I'll return to Vancouver the following week for treatments 2 and 3. They'll be 2 days apart.

ESWT cost in Vancouver for three treatments is $535 U.S. That's per foot Another $125 for each follow up treatment. They say for chronic conditions, sometimes five total are needed. This seems a nice price, even with travel and lodging (all of which is tax deductible or FSA eligible). So net cost (with FSA) is really about 65 percent of all procedure and travel outlays for the treatment. CIGNA, my insurance carrier declined to pay.

I'm sure I'll hear about follow-up rest and nursing and other regimens (rest, orthotics, flexing) to best enable the ESWT to do its good work, but if any experienced ESWT-ers have suggestions for important things to do or not do to complement the treatment I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Re: Canadian ESWT and question about post ESWT care?

Nicole K. on 12/11/01 at 13:23 (066723)

Hi Glenn,
That is a great price. Where are you having it done and is that just the Sonocur or is it for other machines as well? That's great that your doctor is driving up there with you! I only wish I had a doctor who was cool enough...

Best of luck, and let us know how the treatments work for you.

Glenn X on 12/11/01 at 14:08 (066730)

Nicole: Price is for Sonocur only. Sonocur is lower energy than some machines. Perhaps too it is lower-cost equipment. Being lower energy, Sonocur generally requires three treatments. Don't believe any anesthetic is used. Sonocur seems to get equally good marks to other equipment described here on heelspurs. Don't know of other equipment available in Vancouver.

I'm going to:
Vancouver Sonocur
501-1367 Broadway Ave
Vancouver, B.C.
V6H 4B7
1-877-766-6287

DR Zuckerman on 12/11/01 at 17:19 (066757)

Now that is what I call a housecall !!!

Nicole K. on 12/11/01 at 13:23 (066723)

Hi Glenn,
That is a great price. Where are you having it done and is that just the Sonocur or is it for other machines as well? That's great that your doctor is driving up there with you! I only wish I had a doctor who was cool enough...

Best of luck, and let us know how the treatments work for you.

Glenn X on 12/11/01 at 14:08 (066730)

Nicole: Price is for Sonocur only. Sonocur is lower energy than some machines. Perhaps too it is lower-cost equipment. Being lower energy, Sonocur generally requires three treatments. Don't believe any anesthetic is used. Sonocur seems to get equally good marks to other equipment described here on heelspurs. Don't know of other equipment available in Vancouver.

I'm going to:
Vancouver Sonocur
501-1367 Broadway Ave
Vancouver, B.C.
V6H 4B7
1-877-766-6287

DR Zuckerman on 12/11/01 at 17:19 (066757)

Now that is what I call a housecall !!!